Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

If you spend a little time searching, you can usually find an embark location where two biomes meet - one with aquifer and one without, so only part of your map will have an aquifer. This will allow you to have a safe area for digging down as well as access to an aquifer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Anyone else seen farm plots underground that will grow nothing but plump helmets and dimple dye?

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Not sure if this is a new description in 0.40.x, but it's new to me: one of my dwarves is described as "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

scamtank posted:

Considering that building a sole survivor fort turns you immediately into a mountainhome with a king... probably?
Seems to be that way. My current fort was founded with the only dwarven civilization showing no locations on the map. About a year in one of my engraver's suddenly became king and I'm scrambling to put together some rooms for him.

edit: And when I got a trade caravan, it said something to the effect of "no outpost liaison, strange..."

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Dashticle posted:

And, pertinent to the upcoming possible collaboration LP, can save games be swapped between Linux and Windows DF? First glance on google says yes, just wondering if anyone can confirm.
Yeah, they can.

I keep my saves on Dropbox and symlink the save folder on my Windows desktop and Mac laptop. Works pretty nicely!

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

My current fort - Moralbasements - is winding down its fifth year.

The previous year saw a massive tantrum spiral after a goblin invader managed to kill an inattentive and apparently well-liked dwarf. I let the spiral run its course with no intervention - my FPS was down to 25 or so and it was time for a culling. In the end, 88 dwarves were lost, but I was left with a core contingent of 11. This included 4 legendary military dwarves. They were likely able to survive by being able to dispatch any enraged children who decided to start a fist fight. Migrants are trickling in again. Now, I am up to 21 citizens, including children and they are still picking up the pieces. Everyone has been entombed/memorialized, but there are massive amounts of clothing scattered around.

And my FPS is a lot better.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Seeing a weird behavior I've never seen in DF. I have a garbage zone. I have designated some marble to dump. Nobody has dumped anything and there are 20 idlers. Almost all dwarves have all the hauling labors enabled. There are no burrows in use. Everything is inside. I'm at a loss!

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Aethernet posted:

I had the same problem earlier in the thread. If the garbage zone is on not-rock (soil, sand etc.) even if it's inside, try moving it onto rock. This worked for me for some reason.
It's on rock / a level surface, though I usually try building them next to a staircase. Maybe that matters somehow...

EDIT: Ok, so, that was it. As soon as I created a garbage zone outside at the edge of a cliff they started dumping things. Never seen this before in any previous version - strange!

herr brau fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 26, 2014

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

I'm surprised there aren't more recommendations to use the keypad. It really seems like Toady designed the UI around having one hand on the keyboard proper and one on the keypad - left for choosing alpha hotkeys, right for navigation, designation, menus, etc. Ctrl+5 and Shift+5 solve the <> vs ? problem, for one. Many menus use 2389 for paging. On others, +-*/ are all right there too. Navigating in all directions, designation, etc via 12346789, enter is right there to start/stop designation.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Nietzschean posted:

After reading this post I have started trying to use the keypad. Perhaps it is a modification to the default keybinds made by the starter pack, but while Ctrl+Num5 gives me "down one z-level," Shift+Num5 does not give me "up one z-level". How would I modify this to do that?
You may need to toggle NumLock and/or use the default key bindings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, good. Also, what's the easiest way to dig out a very deep pit? Just channel all the way down? I want to create a trap pit for any invaders to potentially fall into.
Basically, yes, but be very careful with your channel designation priorities. Ideally, you want them to channel one z-level at a time. Also, miners do get thirsty, tired, etc, so they will climb out of your pit, but they can't climb down - I've started digging a vertical stairway/access tunnel. Combine that with managing designation priority on a per z-level basis, you can mostly avoid any tragic falls and collapses.