Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Crunchyroll makes the occasional embarrassing mistake (not translating "nukesaku", Polnareff talking about black and white people, adding a zero to the price of Jotaro's trousers, to name the standout ones from Dio's World), but the relative infrequency and mild nature of their errors put them leagues ahead of the original part 5 scanlation and on-par with middling-and-above fansubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Star Platinum posted:

But Part 3's English release is very good. :confused:

They turned the friends of justice line into this clumsy phrase.
so its not perfect

VIZ posted:

They also peppered french randomly into Polnareff's dialog which doesn't really add anything but is pretty inoffensive

hatty fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 29, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

hatty posted:

They turned the friends of justice line into this clumsy phrase.
so its not perfect

They also peppered french randomly into Polnareff's dialog which doesn't really add anything but is pretty inoffensive

I honestly don't mind either of those too much. The former is Jotaro bungling a one-liner as he does sometimes and the latter is probably in character for a native Frenchman.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ChaosArgate posted:

I honestly don't mind either of those too much. The former is Jotaro bungling a one-liner as he does sometimes
My first reaction was "How dare they gently caress up one of the best moments in SC", but you're right, that's hilarious and completely in character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've compared a few VIZ translations with their "Original" fan counterparts and found the VIZ ones more natural to the ear. They're not always perfect (everyone laments the loss of "Friends of justice," but I've always missed "The real captain is sleeping at the bottom of the sea in Hong Kong," "Then you can sleep at the bottom of Hell"), but most of the time they deliver. It doesn't help the case for fan translators that so many of them seem to exhibit this weird worship of the Japanese language, such that sentences can only be translated as literally and directly as possible even though what sounds natural in one language can come off stilted in another.

Suffice to say, unless you're actually well-versed in Japanese, I take most people's opinions on fan translations being better (or official translations being worse) with a grain of salt. VIZ's job on Part 3 reads well enough to me. I should know. I read it all the time.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't like the Vento Aureo translation because it's poo poo. I'll take the word of people who do speak japanese that it's the translation that is poo poo and not the source material.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJ posted:

I don't like the Vento Aureo translation because it's poo poo. I'll take the word of people who do speak japanese that it's the translation that is poo poo and not the source material.

Yeah, I powered through that scanslation like a couple months ago. It got the gist across well enough, and enough of the characters shone through in the art for me to still enjoy the read, but man. I'm still not totally clear on what the Big Bad's stand power actually was, though, which is a pretty major strike against the translation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Normal Adult Human posted:

How much of the translation problems are a result of bad translations as opposed to nobody knowing whats going on at all with regards to anything in part 5 at any time during the manga?

it's actually very easy to understand what's going on in arc 5, which is why people can tell that the translations are junk

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I barely have a clue about what you guys are talking about, but as someone that suffered thru terrible scanlations before I wanna say it's pretty easy to pick out bad translations, even when they're not Duwang.

Also, Vento Aureo is a cool-rear end name even when it's basically in your language.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

hatty posted:

I actually love that about VIZ Polly, I though it fit his flamboyant-even-by-JoJo-standards character perfectly and gave him a lot of personality.

Bad Seafood posted:

I've compared a few VIZ translations with their "Original" fan counterparts and found the VIZ ones more natural to the ear. They're not always perfect (everyone laments the loss of "Friends of justice," but I've always missed "The real captain is sleeping at the bottom of the sea in Hong Kong," "Then you can sleep at the bottom of Hell"), but most of the time they deliver. It doesn't help the case for fan translators that so many of them seem to exhibit this weird worship of the Japanese language, such that sentences can only be translated as literally and directly as possible even though what sounds natural in one language can come off stilted in another.

Suffice to say, unless you're actually well-versed in Japanese, I take most people's opinions on fan translations being better (or official translations being worse) with a grain of salt. VIZ's job on Part 3 reads well enough to me. I should know. I read it all the time.

Yeah, I'm the same, I only know the very basics of Japanese so I just judge it "by ear". Also, I find the old Stardust translation flows better than the English JoJoniums so far. Plus the former at least translated "muda" when it was part of ordinary dialogue and not a battlecry.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Star Platinum posted:

Yeah, I'm the same, I only know the very basics of Japanese so I just judge it "by ear". Also, I find the old Stardust translation flows better than the English JoJoniums so far. Plus the former at least translated "muda" when it was part of ordinary dialogue and not a battlecry.

I'm still kind of annoyed that they didn't use "I REJECT MY HUMANITYYYY JOJOOOO!" Like come on, guys.

Other than that, though, it's fairly decent I think.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

BaDandy posted:

I'm still kind of annoyed that they didn't use "I REJECT MY HUMANITYYYY JOJOOOO!" Like come on, guys.

Other than that, though, it's fairly decent I think.

You forgot to mention that they went with "I quit being human, JoJo!"

Another thing the JoJoniums didn't do too well is keep Joseph's little wordplay when greeting Santviento. Instead of trying to find equivalent wordplay for "Happy, joy-py, nice to meet you-py," they just went with "Happy, fun, nice to meet you, maaaan!"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Polly speaking French in the Viz volumes is really dumb and even if it were faithful to the Japanese original having him speak it(which I don't believe it is outside exceptions) it would still suck.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aurain posted:

The Polly speaking French in the Viz volumes is really dumb and even if it were faithful to the Japanese original having him speak it(which I don't believe it is outside exceptions) it would still suck.

Take it back :saddowns:
"Monsieur Joestar" and "MON DIEU" are gems of localization.

It's me, the goon who enjoyed Ted Woolsey's Squaresoft translations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fous les camps et meurs! while he pops DIO in the head and Ostie le(?) chien when Iggy is around less so.

Woolsey owns though.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I still have a grudge against Viz for making some serious terrible decisions on stuff way back when like calling Vegito "Vegerot," sticking with "Zolo" because of the 4kids dub of One Piece for the sake of "consistency" even though there's not a single person alive who likes it, and their really bad casting decisions for Naruto and Bleach animes back when I gave a poo poo about them. Plus they keep drat near every sword and attack name in Bleach in Japanese which is really loving hard to parse when it's being spoken and not read.

Nuage
Jan 21, 2005

umalt posted:

\o/

Because the anime was how I was introduced and I don't want to break that streak.

That's what I thought , except that I decided to finish the anime without reading ahead, then commence part 4. Which I did. On volume 11 now, I think. It's really excellent, I like seeing how creative Araki can get with his poo poo.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I still have a grudge against Viz for making some serious terrible decisions on stuff way back when like calling Vegito "Vegerot," sticking with "Zolo" because of the 4kids dub of One Piece for the sake of "consistency" even though there's not a single person alive who likes it, and their really bad casting decisions for Naruto and Bleach animes back when I gave a poo poo about them. Plus they keep drat near every sword and attack name in Bleach in Japanese which is really loving hard to parse when it's being spoken and not read.

Vegerot is a pretty good localization. Vegito is nonsensical to your average English viewer that doesn't have knowledge of the Japanese names.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TriffTshngo posted:

Lol this is all petty as poo poo especially considering Vegerot actually makes loving sense and keeping attack/sword names in Japanese is fine because they are characters too in their own way.

Aurain posted:

This post also sucks. Beyond the fact the French not only spices up Polnareff's dialogue, it also allows for some pretty loving funny lines.

Also the complaints which are basically "Viz isn't using fan translations lines and that's sad" are dumb.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not at all. It's jarring, incomprehensible if you don't speak French and not really even using terms or phrases that most English speakers may be aware of through a sort of osmosis.

It is infinitely more stupid than the "not translating Japanese when it's a catchphrase" thing.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Vegerot is a pretty good localization. Vegito is nonsensical to your average English viewer that doesn't have knowledge of the Japanese names.

Beef Chief posted:

Lol this is all petty as poo poo especially considering Vegerot actually makes loving sense and keeping attack/sword names in Japanese is fine because they are characters too in their own way.

Making more sense doesn't make it not sound stupid as hell. Kakarot doesn't raise any eyebrows because it's based on carrot, but Vegerot just sounds like a decaying vegetable.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TriffTshngo posted:

Making more sense doesn't make it not sound stupid as hell. Kakarot doesn't raise any eyebrows because it's based on carrot, but Vegerot just sounds like a decaying vegetable.

This is like the most insanely petty thing in a series where dumb pun names are the constant.

Aurain posted:

Not at all. It's jarring, incomprehensible if you don't speak French and not really even using terms or phrases that most English speakers may be aware of through a sort of osmosis.

It is infinitely more stupid than the "not translating Japanese when it's a catchphrase" thing.

This is also stupid, because beyond the fact that French is one of the most well known languages to English-speaking countries, they are insanely basic French sentences. You will maybe miss one or two and the rest are easy to figure out. Leaving actual Japanese phrases untranslated is different, because Japanese is not a well known language to most English speaking countries outside of dorks that watch anime. French being used as a stylistic choice is different from not translating the language you are supposed to be translating and with words that most English speakers never loving hear.

Like even if you actually have a point, it's hyperbolic at best.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

but Vegerot just sounds like a decaying vegetable.

I thought that this was the point

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Doesn't Polnareff speak random bits of french in the anime too, saying tres bien a bunch

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FirstAidKite posted:

Doesn't Polnareff speak random bits of french in the anime too, saying tres bien a bunch

He does, but Viz peppers in a lot more into their handling of the Part 3 localization.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Aurain posted:

Bullshit, I've never studied a word of French and I understood 90% of Polnareff's lines through either osmosis, context or lexical similarity to English. Besides, it's not like you miss anything critical to the plot even if you don't understand it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I read through stardust crusaders a few years back I remembered during dio's world jotaro finally calling joseph grandpa instead of gramps after his was blood was taken and he died. Was that just something the translators added in, or was that in the original manga, because the crunchyroll subs certainly didn't do that but they've been wrong before so idk. I thought it was kind of a neat moment but it's not like super important or anything.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beef Chief posted:

Also the complaints which are basically "Viz isn't using fan translations lines and that's sad" are dumb.

I can confirm that the friends of justice line is present in the official French translation though. That's not exactly the same thing as keeping duwang lines.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kurtofan posted:

I can confirm that the friends of justice line is present in the official French translation though. That's not exactly the same thing as keeping duwang lines.

It's not and you're right, but official translations are not beholden to a standard set by unofficial translations. Like I like a lot of the lines you guys say you like too, but I was never like "Oh, that's a shame." just kind of like "Oh, they translated that differently, huh?" and then laughed more at Jotaro punching lady Nukesaku in the face. It's cool if you like them, but idk I feel it's weird to hold other translators up to the standards of others in terms of like certain lines they didn't use. I mean, the ASB translation actually used quite a few of the lines we all know and like, but it feels like they were trying to mask how awful the name changes and poo poo were by doing that, idk it felt disingenuous to me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well now I learned apparently every translation of Jojo sucks. And I was really enjoying part 4 too. Now I don't know what to do. I was going continue part 4 and onward, but if it all sucks (even the translation of part 4 I'm reading, which I thought was great), I'm not sure what I can do.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
everything sucks, nothing is good

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Well now I learned apparently every translation of Jojo sucks. And I was really enjoying part 4 too. Now I don't know what to do. I was going continue part 4 and onward, but if it all sucks (even the translation of part 4 I'm reading, which I thought was great), I'm not sure what I can do.

Just read it, as long as you're not reading DUWANG, you'll get a perfectly understandable and great Part 4 experience. If you are though, then you're still getting the great Part 4 experience.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I am okay with the French Frenchman fencer from France occasionally speaking throwaway bits of French.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
The only translations that are unreadable are the complete translation for Part 5 and straight Duwang. Everything else is goodly.

Edit: you can tough it through Part 5 and have a good enough time with it, because it is still really cool in spite of the translation, but I guarantee you will be too burnt out to get into Part 6, which has a perfectly fine translation.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 30, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Despite what people say, Duwang is a decent translation, it just reads like rear end. I think the good Part 4 translation's first volume was just a polishing of the Duwang, for example, and the later volumes of Duwang are a little more coherent.

Part 5 is the opposite in that it's a bad translation that reads really nicely.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
abaj

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Despite what people say, Duwang is a decent translation, it just reads like rear end. I think the good Part 4 translation's first volume was just a polishing of the Duwang, for example, and the later volumes of Duwang are a little more coherent.

Part 5 is the opposite in that it's a bad translation that reads really nicely.

I think it might have been this very thread so credit to whoever put it like this:

Duwang is a translation by someone who has a poor grasp of English.
Part 5's original translation is by someone who has a poor grasp of Japanese.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wasnt the duwang subs done from japaneese to cantonese to english?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

I am okay with the French Frenchman fencer from France occasionally speaking throwaway bits of French.

e: Nothing more to add to this except this

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am sure Araki would be shocked if he knew that one of his character is made to yell out catchphrases in a foreign language the target audience might not understand.

• Locked thread