Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Well, that was certainly an interesting start to the season :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Escher is PTSD sniper dude from Flashpoint, he's cool and that show is cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

They've also established that time travel can cause some type of psychosis. Alec is on his first time around but Kiera is on her second so perhaps she is losing it.

Makes me wonder how many times Alec's son has time traveled because he is the best crazy hobo :tinfoil:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

It certainly makes the father/son relationship even more complicated than it already is. I wonder if Jason had to explain girls to Alec after Emily showed up. I'd pay good money to see that conversation.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I guess she isn't Jason's mom though seeing as he didn't really give that much of a crap when she died.

Though maybe she is through some strange time travel shenanigans :tinfoil:

Usually time travel just screws shows up, but I want to see if they can pull it off. I certainly have a lot of faith on them.

And who else is interested in Curtis's past? Is he member of the cult who in the future went undercover into Liber8? Is he a member of Liber8 who was recruited to the cult? Is he a double agent still in the side of Liber8 (he and Travis did seem to have a particularly strong bond, would be shame if all that was just fake)? All of those could be a possibility now.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Given what they've shown so far it's possible all of those things are true at the samee time. The fact that she doesn't seem like Jason's mom makes me think it's Scarface Alec that ends up dead, and thus Emily dies when the Freelancers shot her at the end of season 2. Eventually Alec will figure out even small nudges have huge effects because of his importance to the future/history and things get reset so Kiera can eventually make it back to the 2077 she knows.

While she does have her family there, going back to a corporate dominated dystopian landscape has got to suck compared to the relative freedom of 2013/2014. Even if she lives what passes as a privileged life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kraps posted:

Usually letting your double see you is warned against because they would go mad at seeing a copy of themselves. In this can it can be some other things because the doubles are already aware of time travel, like both Kieras wouldn't be able to go to the same future, which can cause issues between them.

This is the scenario I expected we'd see. Kiera mentioned the possibility that the other Kiera might be the only person she could trust or rely on so I figured we'd get some sort Double Kiera team up until they realized that only one of them could go home. Then they'd be in competition.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Given what they've shown so far it's possible all of those things are true at the samee time. The fact that she doesn't seem like Jason's mom makes me think it's Scarface Alec that ends up dead, and thus Emily dies when the Freelancers shot her at the end of season 2.

It's possible Emily will still die, but it definitely won't be the same way at this point unless we get a total reset. Too many major changes have already taken place to both characters and motivations.

Also, that episode was amazing. This season is going to be great.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

While she does have her family there, going back to a corporate dominated dystopian landscape has got to suck compared to the relative freedom of 2013/2014. Even if she lives what passes as a privileged life.

Her life was pretty ultra-privileged even compared to modern living standards, IMHO (probably 'cause Greg is rich as poo poo). She's never really been shown the true horror of the corporate world though all the times she's spoken with Liber8 members obviously have shattered some of the illusions she was living under.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, last night's show was very ...er... Canadian Sci-Fi.

The one thing that's bothered me is the controls for Kiera's CPS suit (really the suits in general. Aside from emergency requirements, why would you have the primary controls for the suit on a dial menu on the sleeve when you've got an neural interface? The 1980's movie Firefox had a flight helmet that could translate thoughts into action, like fire a missile. Seems gooberish for something that advanced to require desperately dialing through a MP3 player unit-esque selection screen for cloak or shock when you could think it and it happens.

R-Type fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 19, 2014

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
double post.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

R-Type posted:

Wow, last night's show was very ...er... Canadian Sci-Fi.

The one thing that's bothered me is the controls for Kiera's CPS suit (really the suits in general. Aside from emergency requirements, why would you have the primary controls for the suit on a dial menu on the sleeve when you've got an neural interface? The 1980's movie Firefox had a flight helmet that could translate thoughts into action, like fire a missile. Seems gooberish for something that advanced to require desperately dialing through a MP3 player unit-esque selection screen for cloak or shock when you could think it and it happens.

I just figure that some people are still more comfortable with manual interfaces, especially a former soldier like Kiera. We've certainly seen Kiera utilize most, if not all of the suit's capabilities without clicking things. And I guess distance operators still play a big part in things considering how much she relies on Alex.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm gonna assume we're still in spoiler mode for tonight's premiere.

I was a little confused when freelancer Kiera shot other Kiera. Was that just to eliminated the complications of two Kieras? Also I think Alec has gone loving insane.

Yeah, I think she took the Freelancers' warnings about :siren: double Kieras :siren: very seriously and this was simply her pragmatic way of dealing with the problem immediately. I wouldn't have expected her to handle it any other way.

The interesting thing about that is that it makes me think she's going to kill one of the Alecs, too; she just doesn't know which one yet.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

...! posted:

The interesting thing about that is that it makes me think she's going to kill one of the Alecs, too; she just doesn't know which one yet.

She basically said that's what she's going to do. "And then I have to decide which of those Alecs will bring about the future you and I both want."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still don't think Kiera killed herself. She'd early vocalized the possibility of being able to trust and rely on her other self.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Or it could be a fakeout and the dead Kiera is actually the new one, not the original.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

...! posted:

Or it could be a fakeout and the dead Kiera is actually the new one, not the original.

I doubt it, the clothes, dirty rear end hair and amount of dirt on her face is a bit much to fake quickly. Dead Kiera was squeaky clean and had the same straight hair from earlier. Plus that Kiera would have no motivation to do anything about the Two Alec's.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe, just maybe... It was a third Kiera

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

With this new divergent timeline plot I fully expect we'll see an EVIL Kiera at some point now.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rhyno posted:

With this new divergent timeline plot I fully expect we'll see an EVIL Kiera at some point now.

With a beard.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Rocksicles posted:

Please, my brain couldn't handle that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eriktown posted:

With a beard.

Naturally.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

eriktown posted:

With a beard.

Goatee. The evil twins always have a Goatee.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

Regular Kiera is honestly a little bit evil at the least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarkCrawler posted:

Regular Kiera is honestly a little bit evil at the least.

See now that would be great, another Kiera has to jump to this timeline to stop original Kiera because she's gone off the rails.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Future Keira can be easily spotted due to her third nacelle

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rhyno posted:

Maybe Freelancer Keira is the evil one :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

Maybe Freelancer Keira is the evil one :stare:

I just covered that like 2 posts up!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I just covered that like 2 posts up!

I had the thread open and didn't see the other posts because I didn't refresh :shobon:.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wanted to see Kiera go back to season 1 Kiera where she still had that eye mole.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I wanted to see Kiera go back to season 1 Kiera where she still had that eye mole.

Maybe that's how we'll tell the difference eventually. Haha.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Her life was pretty ultra-privileged even compared to modern living standards, IMHO (probably 'cause Greg is rich as poo poo). She's never really been shown the true horror of the corporate world though all the times she's spoken with Liber8 members obviously have shattered some of the illusions she was living under.

There was that flashback when Kiera was tracking down her druggie sister who ended up falling off a building so she's got at least some idea of how hosed her time is, and even more so now that she's spent some time in the present. Perhaps instead of her going back to 2077 this story ends with her bringing her family, or at least her kid back here. I'm still not sure how much her husband was in on the whole thing. So if he turns out to be on the dark side then he's probably dead or eventually forgotten.

Then again the "dark side" of this show is quite ambiguous so who knows. Either that or she and Alec change things just enough that 2077 isn't a total hellscape. But I picked this thread title for a reason. I really don't know what the gently caress anymore.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think with Keira its less of an interest of going back to some future utopia and more that she'd like to see her husband and son again

E: Calling it now, the final shot of this show is her looking at her husband and her son in an alternate future timeline and they're there with another Keira and really happy, and she is stuck as a woman out of time with no family or loved ones. At least she saved the world from being a piece of poo poo.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I'm really enjoying this show and thought it was a great season premiere. Lets see, if I've followed correctly we now have:

2 Alecs: both alive (for how long?)
2 Kieras: one alive and one dead
2 metal orange-slice timemachines
3 suits: 2 from before and a new upgraded one that came back with Freelancer Kiera

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fetus Tree posted:

This isn't total recall!

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Azhais posted:

This isn't total recall!

Lol nice, that was a pretty badass turn around

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fetus Tree posted:

Noun
nacelle (plural nacelles)
- A separate streamlined enclosure mounted on an aircraft to house an engine, cargo, or crew.
- The part between the tower and rotor of a wind turbine.
- The compartment that holds passengers on a hot-air balloon, a dirigible, or an aerostat; a gondola.

:shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a Star Trek reference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

No visual aid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mu Zeta posted:

Star Trek Wikia posted:

In 2377, the expression "third nacelle" was analogous to "fifth wheel".

I guess fifth wheel is analogous to third wheel. And the total recall joke refers to the triple-breasted woman. Unfortunately, I'm that guy who needs jokes explained. -_-

• Locked thread