Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

:siren:PSA: DO NOT BUY THE COLE'S LEGACY DLC unless it's cheap or you really want Col'es jacket on Delsin! It's about 20 minutes of worth of not particularly informative audiolog hunting. It did come free with pre-oders and early copies of the game in some areas (Limited and Collector's editions):siren:

Don't miss the ARG connected PAPER TRAIL missions
---

Infamous:Second Son is an open world super hero (or villain, as their stylized capitalization subtly points out) simulator, the third installment in a series of open world super hero simulators made by Sucker Punch (original creators and developers of Sly the Cooper). It's on PS4 and looks to be one of the first games clearly delineating this generation from the last graphically - it's gorgeous.

Basically it's about doing cool poo poo like this

And generally looking good

Second Son features a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, and gives you different abilities from the prior games (which starred Cole McGrath; Sucker Punch sure know how to name them). Delsin is a particularly special superhuman because he can absorb powers from other superhumans - known as conduits in the Infamous universe. At the beginning of the game he gains smoke powers, followed by neon, followed by... (I'm not spoiling anything more than the developers did before the game's release, but there are more than two powers). Sucker Punch tried to go with slightly less clichd elements this time round, basing them around more modern things.

The two revealed powers in illustrated form:

SMOKE

NEON

[the requisite fancy animation for neon is at the top]

You can't wield multiple powers at once. To change power Delsin must find an appropriate source. For instance, to change to smoke (once it's been learned) find a chimney. You'll also have to replenish your supply of a power every so often.

Again, there are more than these 2 powers in the game

Minor warning, the wikipedia article spoils at least one other power

This seems like it'll be rather black and white. If you act like an rear end in a top hat in cutscenes when given the choice, you'll get baddy points. You act like a decent guy, you'll get good guy points. This affects how the story develops, there are no branching plot lines, but you'll sometimes have a choice between two missions that play out completely differently, changing how characters feel about you and defining Delsin's own motivations. Evil Delsin becomes a bit of a monster.

Morality factors into gameplay in a few ways. How you approach combat can give you points in either alignment. A combatant that surrenders can be subdued or killed, one gives you good karma points the other bad ones (figure out which corresponds to which!). But how you fight enemies can also be relevant. Neon's basic long range attack highlights the shins and heads of enemies. Going for the shins subdues enemies, headshots count as an evil action. However, this only applies to this one ability, because neon is particularly good at longer range sniping.

:siren:TINY SPOILER ALERT Also your clothing changes depending on your alignmentTINY SPOILER ALERT :siren:

Some abilities are gated behind alignment requirements (for instance good neon gets a few seconds of slow motion when zooming in, whilst the evil version gets rapid fire). The differences are asymmetric and can significantly affect your playstyle. Again, adding to the replayability of the game.

Infamous remains a third person shooter at heart. However, that doesn't mean you're going to spend 90% of your time behind chest high cover. Actually there is no cover system to speak of . Instead rely on Delsin's mobility. Dashes are your friend. Abuse them. Most things won't be able to hit you mid dash. When things inevitably get hairy, run like hell. If you end up dying, even on expert, it'll usually be because you got overconfident and stayed out in the open with low health too long. At first you'll get into a rhythm zooming in and out of the line of fire to regenerate, but more interesting strategies will emerge as you gain new abilities for your powers (though, knowing when to run will remain important).

Different power sources will have different move sets. Some more powerful moves will let you destroy some of the scenery.

Each power also has a super move, Karma Bombs [fancy animation linked, because this OP is gif heavy as is], that can only be unleashed after fulfilling certain conditions. They can be activated either by Delsin subduing a number of enemies (good karma), or by quickly killing them within a certain period of time (evil karma). The good and evil versions look the same, save for the fact that all powers are tinted red on an evil playthrough.

Delsin about to drop a smoke-based Karma Bomb.

The traversal options are varied and arguably where 50% of the game's enjoyment comes from. Smoke has a a quick dash, and can go up vents to immediately emerge on rooftops.

Neon lets you run up buildings like in up in the top gif.

Remember, these are not the only powers in the game...

For a summary of Infamous 1 and 2 click here to see RagnarokAngel's summary in the post below.

Having not spent much time with the previous games in the series, I don't know the setting very well, as such the following is based off summaries and may be inaccurate!

Whatever happened at the end of Infamous 2 (there was both a good and evil ending, but the good one was selected as the continuation point for the series) caused a lot of people to be afraid of conduits, maybe rightfully maybe not. In response the American government sets up a paramilitary force - the Department of Unified Protection (DUP) - to keep all us normals safe (it is an analogy) from conduits - affectionately labeled bio-terrorists (it is an analogy). Their soldiers patrol cities with rifles out in the open. Their giant cameras sweep the streets. They can listen in on any communication... it's an analogy.

Is safety worth our loss of liberty?

A concerned citizen (Nate Fox, the game's director) asking the tough questions during the PS4's announcement.

All the voice actors below also provided the motion capture for their characters.

Delsin Rowe [Troy Baker] is a 24 year old vandal street artist - I don't know if he actually does anything respectable for a living. He's a rebel. He wears skinnies and a beanie, and has pins in his denim vest. He was a teenager in the 00s. I think he likes grunge music. As a guy looking for any opportunity to stick it to the man, becoming enemy number one to the authoritarian regime will probably lead to an interesting dynamic. His brother Reggie is the local sheriff (might just be an officer). They have a Native American ancestry.

Reggie [Travis Willingham] is Delsin's brother. As the sheriff, he's had to rein in and actually arrest Delsin on multiple occasions because he doesn't understand his brother's free spirit and is probably jealous of Delsin's graffiti skills. They obviously have a tense relationship, but Reggie's there to lend his shoulder when Delsin needs the help.

"Fetch" [Laura Bailey] is neon lady, the person Delsin absorbs neon powers from. Not much is known, or going to be spoiled here, except that she's the DUP's poster child bio-terrorist and the city hates her.

Fun fact: Reggie and Fetch's VAs are a married couple!

In another change to the series, the host city is no longer fictional. The game is set in Seattle - Sucker Punch's home town. It's a noticeably scaled down version, and isn't particularly faithful to the actual city layout, but features many of the known landmarks (yes, not just the Space Needle).

Some such landmarks:

Seattles presented in various states of humidity throughout the game. However, the passing of time and changing weather is linked to story progress and does not cycle outside of story missions. e:This may not be entirely accurate(!).

I'll probably add some more pretty pictures later.

But here are a few more anyway!

All of these are user made, that is from the leaked release and so are the real thing, no doctored images. (They're gathered from GAF, so thanks GAF people).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

http://infamouspapertrail.com

Over a number of weeks, a number of additional missions are being added to the game. It has an ARG (Augmented Reality Game) component to it, in that half of the tasks involve you logging into a website and solving puzzles (they're not all that straightforward). It centers around a paper conduit, hopefully eventually giving Delsin another power.

After completing the tasks on the website, you do a short mission in game. Then back to the website. The two are interconnected, so the ARG activities tie into what you did in game. They're staggering the release of these missions, so you'll have to wait for updates to progress.

To start create a profile and do the simple quizzes. This will also give you (a one time, I belive) karma boost to your alignment. After you connect your PSN ID to your profile you'll be able to do the first mission.
---

RagnarokAngel's summary of the previous games.

RagnarokAngel posted:

K. Spoilers in case any one hasnt played them and will:

(This assumes the good karma path, since it's canon.)

Cole McGrath is a courier in Empire City who receives a package to deliver. Without warning the package explodes and takes out an entire city block, but Cole survives. At the same time a mysterious plague to spread. Thinking a terrorist attack, the US government closes down Empire City in a quarantine. After a few weeks in a coma, Cole wakes up with lightning-based super power because in the package was something called a "Ray-Sphere". A cult of people also developed superpowers from the explosion is basically running the city because of the quarantine. The people who have powers are known as "Conduits". The cult is lead by Kessler who basically makes Cole's life a living hell, capturing and killing his girlfriend Trish and generally wrecking havok on the city. An FBI agent, John White, helps Cole out taking down Kessler. Evantually Cole and John find the Ray Sphere but it malfunctions, killing John. When Cole confronts Kessler he finds out Kessler is actually Cole from an alternate timeline where a monster called The Beast is ravaging the future and Cole developed super powers too late to stop it. Kessler developed the Ray Sphere to go back in time and give his past self super powers sooner, and remove Trish from the equation so he becomes a stronger person. Cole kills Kessler and prepares to fight The Beast...

...Only to find out that making super powers appear earlier than they were supposed to actually made The Beast come sooner as well. Cole fights The Beast but loses and has his powers drained, so he escapes to New Marais, Louisiana. There Cole finds out about an invention called Ray Sphere Inhibitor, which works as an inverse Ray Sphere and would cancel out The Beast's powers and also cure the plague that has been spreading as an epidemic. He fights off a man called Bertrand who uses propaganda to fight against conduits, but it turns out he's a conduit himself. Cole evantually kills him, working with two other Conduits an FBI agent called Kuo (Ice Powers and a local woman named Nix (Fire Powers). Cole finds out that The Beast is actually John White, when the Ray Sphere killed him it dismantled his atoms and he reassembled himself as The Beast, bent on destroying all non-Conduits because the plague would kill them all anyway, activating the "Conduit Gene" would grant immunity to the plague. Cole decides to activate the Ray Sphere Inhibitor, despite learning that it would kill everyone with the conduit gene, himself included. After he does so, Conduits start dropping dead all over the world, although Second Son retcons this that only most of them die by this.

I hope that's enough to get the bare bones. No telling what'll actually be important to know in Second Son.

Additionally, IGN has a primer on the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd_7bjsphA4

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 25, 2014

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.
Can't wait to settle down with a few beers and blow poo poo up in Seattle with my powers. Had about 15 minutes play last week and it looked stunning and really felt like a next-gen game. One thing that I really found annoying though was that you can't swim, every time I ended up in the water I just for a prompt to tap the touchpad to teleport to the nearest surface. I know its a stupid thing to get annoyed over but it kinda spoilt the immersion somewhat.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Does anyone know what the pre-order bonuses are for each region? I'm going to get it digitally in Europe, which I think gives me the bonus missing where you find out what happened to Cole. The physical collector's edition comes with a replica of Delsin's beanie, but it isn't something I'd miss.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The wait for this drat game is giving me facial tics. At least Ground Zeroes is there to help midway through.

One spoiler thing I want to know - how many powers are there? No details on what they actually are, just the number.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
On the GAF forum some people have finished the game, the game length on a regular playthrough is
Around 10 - 14 hours

Times 2 if you play both good & evil.

BreakAtmo posted:

The wait for this drat game is giving me facial tics. At least Ground Zeroes is there to help midway through.

One spoiler thing I want to know - how many powers are there? No details on what they actually are, just the number.

I heard 4

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Does anyone know what the pre-order bonuses are for each region? I'm going to get it digitally in Europe, which I think gives me the bonus missing where you find out what happened to Cole. The physical collector's edition comes with a replica of Delsin's beanie, but it isn't something I'd miss.

I think that's more or less it. Pre-ordered copies - in the US at least the pre-order bonuses also apply to all first run copies - also get a few jacket skins in addition to Cole's Legacy mission. In Europe the collector's edition comes in a jacket looking case. Digital pre-orders should get all the same stuff standard pre-orders get. I was going to add this to the second post, but my body starting falling asleep. I'll try to put it up tomorrow.

BreakAtmo posted:

There are four. (I unfortunately gave into temptation and spoiled myself, though not entirely intentionally) There's an extra mission that'll be accessible when the game launches dealing with a conduit with paper powers, but it remains to be seen whether you get to absorb their powers. Seems unlikely.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Obsidius posted:

Can't wait to settle down with a few beers and blow poo poo up in Seattle with my powers. Had about 15 minutes play last week and it looked stunning and really felt like a next-gen game. One thing that I really found annoying though was that you can't swim, every time I ended up in the water I just for a prompt to tap the touchpad to teleport to the nearest surface. I know its a stupid thing to get annoyed over but it kinda spoilt the immersion somewhat.
Keeping that proud tradition of Sucker Punch protagonists not taking swim classes when they were kids.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's also an ARG or whatever at http://infamouspapertrail.com

It unlocks some points to upgrade your skills when the game comes out.

achillesforever6 posted:

Keeping that proud tradition of Sucker Punch protagonists not taking swim classes when they were kids.

Cole could swim, water just caused his stored electricity to discharge or whatever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey, at least it's a step up from just straight up dying if you miss a jump onto a boat.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

There's also an ARG or whatever at http://infamouspapertrail.com

It unlocks some points to upgrade your skills when the game comes out.

It also doesn't work in the UK. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The ARG thing is also supposed to unlock a mission set in game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SCEE is boring. They never participate in these things.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The enjoyyourpower website seems like it might give clues to what the other powers could be. I just took the test on there and it said my Conduit ability is Pressurized Water:
"Pressurized Water Conduits are capable of drawing strength from hydrants, pipes, and hoses before ejecting them with great speed and force. Pressurized Water Conduits can eject water with sufficient force to pierce concrete or quell riots with non-lethal force. These Conduits may also be capable of organically filtering water."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It should be noted (it's not spoilers from a stream one of the devs was on right?) in a Destructiod show they played through a good and bad choice and it seemed (maybe I wasn't paying enough attention) that after the choice in the cutscene they actually got two different missions, so there may be some more branching than previous games, I'm sure right after those missions they'd both be pushed back to the main story, but it seems there's good reason to play both versions beyond wanting to see how big a dick evil Delsin is.

Also there seems to be a Saints Row/Red Faction style 'territory control' thing, anything gold and black that has the bad guys' logo and such on them (I forgot who they are, the paramilitary dudes) can be busted up and you can do things like free or kill prisoners and all. I have no idea what happens when you kick the bad guys out of an area but I assume they spawn way less and maybe things look like less of a totalitarian hipster blend?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was kind of a thing in the first two games. Enemies had territory and you would take it back by doing side missions, when you completed the side mission enemies would no longer spawn in that area. You'd also get some talk about people cleaning up the area but wouldn't actually see it reflected in the game world. Which kind of made sense as both Infamous 1 and 2 took place over the course of a week each.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad this is on PS4, I've been wanting to play a free roaming game set in Seattle for a long time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

muscles like this? posted:

The enjoyyourpower website seems like it might give clues to what the other powers could be. I just took the test on there and it said my Conduit ability is Pressurized Water:
"Pressurized Water Conduits are capable of drawing strength from hydrants, pipes, and hoses before ejecting them with great speed and force. Pressurized Water Conduits can eject water with sufficient force to pierce concrete or quell riots with non-lethal force. These Conduits may also be capable of organically filtering water."

This is what I got. Now, I'm curious to see what else shows up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I basically answered all the questions randomly since they were all subjective. Maybe someone else can just answer A to everything and see if its different.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I basically answered all the questions randomly since they were all subjective. Maybe someone else can just answer A to everything and see if its different.

Did all A and got the same, I'm almost positive this is their reveal of that power.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The way its worded makes it sound like something that isn't stored but you'll be able to use when you come across it.

Edit: Or that you'll only be able to get it from those specific types and not just any lying around normally.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
In the first game, they went with a Super Metroid-esque power stacking (aka you upgraded powers to become stronger). In the second one, you switched between them in a Metroid-Prime style. What style is this game going to be? Sounds more the latter than the former.

Also: can't wait to destroy my home town. This game is gorgeous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems like this one is going to be that each power has a different set of abilities and you switch between the power set instead of switching out each individual ability.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

It seems like this one is going to be that each power has a different set of abilities and you switch between the power set instead of switching out each individual ability.

Yeah, they've said that Smoke is more for getting in close and meleeing; while neon was for staying back and shooting. It seems that you can do either from either (shoot from smoke, melee from neon), but each is more effective at certain things. Just like each has its own movement power.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I was never a huge fan of these games but the complete lack of games is giving me enough of an itch to pick this one up. A man cannot subside on Battlefield 4 alone.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The controls are the same, circle is always dash, square (I think) is always shoot, and you swap powers out. They made it so no matter what you should always know what to do, so getting new powers doesn't turn the game into 'button salad'. No matter how far along and how many cool things you have, the mechanics remain the same but with different lenses basically.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I am cautiously optimistic about my preorder being a good choice as I'm still a little burned about the rocks fall, everyone dies ending of 2. Second Son better have you befriend a lonely Zeke if you're good Karma, I miss that guy.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I did the new test and got the same result as everyone else. I think it's just their way of revealing a new power. For the people who don't know what we are talking about, from the PS4 thread:

quote:

I don't know if this has been discussed before and there isn't an Infamous thread so I will throw this here. Here are some links for viral marketing Sony is doing for Infamous. The first link has ways you can earn karma before the game ships. What does Karma do? Glad you asked!

quote:

What is KARMA?
KARMA is an integral part of playing inFAMOUS. During gameplay, earning KARMA helps you develop your powers and affects different aspects of the game.

How do I earn KARMA in Paper Trail?
Earn KARMA now to get a headstart in inFAMOUS Second Son by completing specific missions and activities from inFAMOUS Paper Trail.

How does the KARMA Ive earned in Paper Trail show up in inFAMOUS Second Son?
To unlock your earned Paper Trail KARMA on inFAMOUS Second Son, you must link your Paper Trail account with your PlayStation Network ID, and have an official copy of inFAMOUS Second Son.

http://enjoyyourpower.com/
http://conduitrightsleague.com/
http://bioframediagnostics.com/

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This game is the number one reason why I didn't wait until September or October to get a PS4. I'm so excited for this game it's almost painful.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I never played the first two Infamous games but I have a PS4 and this game looks pretty good. I like action/adventure games but not FPS/shooters so much, and I remember watching part of a let's play for the first one and it was looked kind of slow and finicky.

I hear that's all changed now, so I'll probably get this when it comes out. I watched some videos and it did look pretty cool, if nothing else. Hopefully there are good impressions!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
2 came out while I was overseas so I had to rush through it in the last month to get ready for this. As janky as the games are I legit love em and cant wait for this, preordered the CE with store credit I got.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Games-Promotions/Video+Game+Trade+In+Offer/pcmcat248300050002.c?id=pcmcat248300050002

Best Buy is doing a trade in of $40 for a lot of PS4 and Xbox One games, so if you want to trade in those games, you can get some Best Buy gift cards, and then use those to buy an Amazon gift card, and purchase your game via Amazon. That is what I think I am going to do. I am done with Ghosts, BF4, and rear end Creed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Also there seems to be a Saints Row/Red Faction style 'territory control' thing, anything gold and black that has the bad guys' logo and such on them (I forgot who they are, the paramilitary dudes) can be busted up and you can do things like free or kill prisoners and all. I have no idea what happens when you kick the bad guys out of an area but I assume they spawn way less and maybe things look like less of a totalitarian hipster blend?
Speaking of Saints Row, its kind of funny in retrospect how this will be the second game involving Troy Baker and Laura Bailey in which you can run buildings glowing.

Also the DUP wearing black and gold uniforms is a reference to the Pittsburgh Steelers, sworn enemies of Seattle :tinfoil:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kalonZombie posted:

This game is the number one reason why I didn't wait until September or October to get a PS4. I'm so excited for this game it's almost painful.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm not expecting to be blown away based on gameplay videos but I am desperate for a new experience so I pre-ordered.

This kinda feels like the new Killzone. People buying it because it's pretty and there's nothing else.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In the first year of a console you kind of lower your expectations a bit beyond "it looks pretty" but infamous looks legit fun. It was a PS3 game before they decided to switch to PS4 and I probably still would have bought it last-gen.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Colt Cannon posted:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Games-Promotions/Video+Game+Trade+In+Offer/pcmcat248300050002.c?id=pcmcat248300050002

Best Buy is doing a trade in of $40 for a lot of PS4 and Xbox One games, so if you want to trade in those games, you can get some Best Buy gift cards, and then use those to buy an Amazon gift card, and purchase your game via Amazon. That is what I think I am going to do. I am done with Ghosts, BF4, and rear end Creed.

Sweet, $40 credit for AC4 isn't bad at all, and if I want to play it again I'll just buy it for $10 on PC a few years from now.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I played both the previous games and am looking forward to this.

I just like zapping people with fancy powers :shobon:, really looking forward to the very different powers in this one.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Colt Cannon posted:

Goodbye Need for Speed, NBA 2K14, and Assassins Creed. Hello, $120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

It also doesn't work in the UK. :(

I thought that too, but it turns out that even though the UK isn't on the list, I could just pick another country to sign up.

• Locked thread