Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
love to get 150% more performances per performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
number go up always makes everyone happy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

steam decks should just use windows instead of jumping through all these hoops

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

love to get 150% more performances per performance

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Some games heavily depend on those primitives in their render loop and emulation is very slow, so the numbers are pretty realistic. However, the actual impact varies a lot depending on the game.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

spankmeister posted:

i think firewalld allows plain iptables rules if it really comes down to it?

idk about that specifically but its effectively an nftables generator/manager and i assume you could in theory add your own tables alongside it?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

akadajet posted:

the tablet OS with the bad phone games? gross.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

akadajet posted:

if steam decks used windows they wouldn't be able to run most of the games at an acceptable fps

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

hmm yes, let's leave control of our device to some third-party company who doesn't care if they randomly break it (it could even be in their interest to do so)

there are steam deck knockoffs from the usual makers of janky-rear end hardware if you really want to janitor windows on a handheld while simultaneously burning your hands during the 45 minutes it takes the battery to die

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

There's a Republic of Gamers handheld you can use if you want Windows.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah but that also means giving money to people who willingly call themselves the "republic of gamers"

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Progressive JPEG posted:

idk about that specifically but its effectively an nftables generator/manager and i assume you could in theory add your own tables alongside it?

but my abstraction!!!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be serious, adding logging to iptables is par for the course for me when I’m trying to twist firewalld to do what I want it to do

the alternative being, of course, to keep adding rules and crossing my fingers

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

I like firewalld but I can't get it to work with a wireguard server for the life of me. Traffic comes in over the tunnel but then fails to forward.

firewalld works best for servers, I think. Routers tend to require a bit more work and the abstractions break down if you try to do anything complex.

Good thing someone else already posted a solution because I’d have to post my terrible configuration for the internet to see

Progressive JPEG posted:

i just have a blanket ACCEPT zone config against the wireguard interface like this and it seems to work:

I do something similar for my ipsec tunnel.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
carve your iptables rules from the clay like god intended

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Which old release of rhel are you using where the firewalld backend is still iptables?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

all rhel releases are old if you think about it

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008

spankmeister posted:

all rhel releases are old if you think about it

red hat elderly linux

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Centennial OS

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

other people posted:

Which old release of rhel are you using where the firewalld backend is still iptables?

rhel6, every kernel release after 2.6.32 has been unnecessary bloatware

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i spent half the weekend installing fedora over and over trying to figure out why I was running into this known issue even though i had deleted the old efi partition and gone through the workarounds, fukkin' linux i swear

turns out the flash drive had gone bad. installed same iso from a different one and everything was fine

everything went fine, that is, except of course bluetooth. which had worked perfectly well with the previous 5+ year long rawhide install. so i spent another day or two rebasing back and forth between different versions to figure out which kernel version had broken the bt drivers, fukkin' linux i swear

turns out it was a hardware issue. following a stackoverflow suggestion from 2008, i shut the computer down and unplugged it for 5 minutes, bt chip gave signs of life. unplugged it for 1 hour and now it works

idk if there is a lesson there

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
got Fedora 40 up and running. native HDR is cool but I’m still trying to janitor steam to run poo poo in HDR. gently caress

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

The lesson is that hardware sucks.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

bluetooth sucks, go back to usb

flash sucks, go back to network dvd

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

serious answer is to always test flash after writing a new image to make sure it was done correctly

although I had half expected fedora to actually test the disk before installing it, I guess it only checks a subset of the data.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

sb hermit posted:

serious answer is to always test flash after writing a new image to make sure it was done correctly

although I had half expected fedora to actually test the disk before installing it, I guess it only checks a subset of the data.

there's a separate "test this media then install Fedora" option when you boot the ISO that of course I didn't choose

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Isn't the default boot option for the installer to check the media? I sort of remember always having to arrow up to avoid it.

edit: yeah that ^

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
speaking of which i ran into some efi secure boot revocation thing recently because it turns out that silverblue/ostree/whatever doesn't update the actual bootloader in the efi partition like, ever, so i had to do it manually. only ended up at a grub command prompt one time even, not bad.

they've had an action item to fix this for like three releases now although something like that can render your system unbootable if it fucks up so i do understand their trepidation

edit: u gotta copy the contents of /usr/lib/ostree-boot/efi/ into your efi system partition, but you also have to make sure you preserve EFI\fedora\grub.cfg which is where i messed up like an absolute noob

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 16, 2024

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pretty sure it's the task of fwupd to update those uefi dbx files

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

i spent half the weekend installing fedora over and over trying to figure out why I was running into this known issue even though i had deleted the old efi partition and gone through the workarounds, fukkin' linux i swear

turns out the flash drive had gone bad. installed same iso from a different one and everything was fine

everything went fine, that is, except of course bluetooth. which had worked perfectly well with the previous 5+ year long rawhide install. so i spent another day or two rebasing back and forth between different versions to figure out which kernel version had broken the bt drivers, fukkin' linux i swear

turns out it was a hardware issue. following a stackoverflow suggestion from 2008, i shut the computer down and unplugged it for 5 minutes, bt chip gave signs of life. unplugged it for 1 hour and now it works

god I love america

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tankakern posted:

it is, but it is but it is not the task of fwupd to update the efi shim, because the efi shim is not firmware.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

I hate that I understand all those words

Sapozhnik posted:

it is, but it is but it is not the task of fwupd to update the efi shim, because the efi shim is not firmware.

it’s gotta be someone’s job because I’m not going to have my users update their own efi partitions

(no I would never let my parents use Linux either, not even a chromebook)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

it's the shim package. the shim boot loader is shipped in the shim package. well, shim-signed since someone has to pay microsoft to sign it.

code:
Package: shim-signed
Priority: optional
Section: utils
Installed-Size: 949
Maintainer: Debian EFI Team <debian-efi@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Multi-Arch: same
Source: shim-signed (1.40)
Version: 1.40+15.7-1
Depends: shim-signed-common (>= 1.40), grub-efi-amd64-bin, shim-helpers-amd64-signed (>= 1+15.4+2), grub2-common (>= 2.06-6)
Description: Secure Boot chain-loading bootloader (Microsoft-signed binary)
 This package provides a minimalist boot loader which allows verifying
 signatures of other UEFI binaries against either the Secure Boot DB/DBX or
 against a built-in signature database.  Its purpose is to allow a small,
 infrequently-changing binary to be signed by the UEFI CA, while allowing
 an OS distributor to revision their main bootloader independently of the CA.
 This package contains the version of the bootloader binary signed by the
 Microsoft UEFI CA.
Built-Using: shim (= 15.7-1)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

speaking of which i ran into some efi secure boot revocation thing recently because it turns out that silverblue/ostree/whatever doesn't update the actual bootloader in the efi partition like, ever, so i had to do it manually. only ended up at a grub command prompt one time even, not bad.

the only thing one should do with EFI or UEFI is install an Open Firmware implementation atop it

if only IEEE-1275 hadn’t been allowed to lapse and had been written into procurement contracts

the world would be a better place

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

The problem with Word, Libreoffice et al. is that people don't know how to typeset, so they manually format until they have a document that looks fine on first glance. Then you look at it wrong and it explodes into a cloud of glyphs.

You should probably force people to write something like markdown first, and slap them until they get their headings sorted. Also, take away all the manual formatting buttons. Styles or gtfo.

And once they've figured out that all they really want is to write paragraphs of simple text with the occasional heading, list, or image, they may find out they only needed Word to fix the problems they had because of Word.

Use LaTeX, is what I'm saying.

Using latex means installing latex and I don't want another package manager with 1000+ packages on my system

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

in any case i'm pretty pleased with bazzite. it's not really a distro (as the guys say themselves), it's just a bunch of gaming-related fixes applied to fedora that most people can't be arsed to apply on their own. for example, i didn't have fully working fan/temp controls on fedora because the controller for my amd board is weird and requires a specific package from github - bazzite adds that. and i never got sunshine/moonlight to work reliably on base fedora, but the installation ootb in bazzite ran on the first try

most importantly, i can confirm that switching back and forth between base fedora and bazzite works perfectly

i'd be curious to try bluefin (same deal but for developers) but tbf nowadays i do a lot more gaming than coding on this machine

anyway i'll try rebasing to it on my laptop next, which has the nightmare scenario for linux (relatively old, but still has nvidia/intel split graphics) and see if it works better

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 17, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

NihilCredo posted:

in any case i'm pretty please with bazzite. it's not really a distro (as the guys say themselves), it's just a bunch of gaming-related fixes applied to fedora that most people can't be arsed to apply on their own. for example, i didn't have fully working fan/temp controls on fedora because the controller for my amd board is weird and requires a specific package from github - bazzite adds that

most importantly, i can confirm that switching back and forth between base fedora and bazzite works perfectly

I also use Bazzite and have been very happy with it. I've only had to overlay three packages: btrfs-assistant, snapper, and sunshine. Everything else is flatpaks or in a distrobox assemble file that can be redeployed with one command.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
bazzite is now blongo (deprecating bazumbo, forked from quazble)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Woolie Wool posted:

Using latex means installing latex and I don't want another package manager with 1000+ packages on my system

See that's the cool thing about modern LaTeX usage: you can ignore the package manager aspect, because you just install every single loving LaTeX package up front through your normal system-level package manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I just install the entirety of Texlive, yup.