Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
OP you should have used Ubuntu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm saying that the traditional way to provision a system using packages is broken and wrong, since it involves a lot of client-side shell scripts running as root, and is slow.

APT/DEB has the exact same issues. pacman has the exact same issues. zypper has the exact same issues. All package managers are built on this really broken philosophy.

Given the restriction of "install all these packages", it's hard to produce a useful, fast autobuilder that works correctly. So it sucks, but unless you do a drastic rethink, it's the way it's going to be.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Really, the core idea about packages is just wrong and bad. Packages have shell scripts that run as root when you install them, and you wouldn't believe the idiotic things that actually go in them that are running on your system as root when you type "yum install butts" or "rpm -Uvh butts.rpm".
Little late to this posting party but I gotta tell you to reinvestigate how Debian/Ubuntu packages actually work these days. Maintainer scripts are still possible, but the vast majority of packages have their maintainer scripts autogenerated by the packaging system now. Basically every "legit" use of a maintainer script (say, updating the font cache) was moved into Debhelper, and the package just invokes that. It's even smart enough to operate on triggers, so if you install two packages that do the same thing that just gets deferred until both are unpacked.

There are also a whole class of packages (the new Click packages) that are flat-out prohibited from having maintainer scripts, except those automatically generated by debhelper. These are ideal for "apps" that have no business running weird root code.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Also Ubuntu is in that awkward stage right now where we're near the release of a new LTS and so no one wants to backport fixes to earlier releases because in a month we'll all be telling people to just upgrade to 14.04.

And ubuntu-gnome in 13.10 wasn't a real release yet it was like 2 people putting it together as a prototype. 14.04 ubuntu-gnome is actually like a real derivative.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Wait, what? You tell your customers running old LTSes that you aren't going to backport patches to it and to upgrade to the newest LTS as soon as it's available?
Canonical will backport all manner of things to previous LTSes to keep them running as they were. I'm a community developer I don't have customers for my Wine packages nor do I work for Canonical, so I backport as I feel like it. And generally I feel like supporting every release back to the most recent LTS.

This isn't necessarily out of laziness either -- a lot of what users might consider "normal fixes" require new upstream versions of dependent libraries. Which, in turn, requires upgrading to a newer stable LTS release.

quote:

How is that in any way an LTS? I backport patches to RHEL5 every week. It loving sucks, but I do it because that's the contract the customer signed.
I've supported 12.04 LTS with new Wine beta releases. After 14.04 comes out I plan on only updating it with new stable wine releases and the users who want to track the betas will need to use the newer LTS. I'm sure if I had an actual customer asking otherwise I might change my mind.

I think the thing to understand here is that "most" of Ubuntu is community developers and the universe archive (and stuff inherited from Debian), it's not the Canonical employees supporting Main. So when I talk in generalities I'm not talking about the stuff you pay for.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

The issue is that they're still running scripts as root that make untracked changes to your operating system. Yes, that could be updating a font or icon cache, but you're still left with files on your system with no way to rollback.

I also looked at a random postinst for a service:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/accountsservice/trusty/view/head:/debian/accountsservice.postinst

It first tries to racily kill and restart the service. Cool. Then it does a random migration with regexps on /etc/default/locale and /etc/environment. The files are not backed up and if the script fucks up, your computer is a brick.
This is an example of a package that still has a manually crafted maintainer script that isn't absorbed by debhelper. That's what .postinst files are -- a "random" one will only give you an example of exactly the kind of package I'm not talking about.

quote:

Well, you can repair it, but that means digging through poo poo in /etc/ that nobody should ever care about. Why the gently caress are config file migrations done with sed and awk in Ubuntu?
Most aren't.

I do agree in principle that package installs shouldn't make changes to files in "permanent" areas of the filesystem (this is in part why we have FHS) unless they can be equivalently removed upon package removal. That's one reason why configuration slowly moves from conf files to various .d folders where each package can dump something instead of appending to a file.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 22, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ubuntu is broken the moment you enable universe/multiverse. the non-canonical repos are a shitshow of unpatched and/or hilariously broken "community" packages that replace debian packages at random. of course, all the software people actually want to use is in those known-bad repos

result: as a ubuntu user, your system is riddled with security holes and breakage from day one.
Are you one of those "any package changed from debian is bad" nits?

Just today I made one of those "random changes" to the debian winetricks package. The debian maintainer had decided to include a patch he authored that prevents the program from running unless you give it the --gui command line option. No, he didn't update the .desktop launcher to include that.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

My mantra is "any patch not upstream or backported from upstream is bad". The Debian guy was an idiot and reverting back to upstream through your patches is fine.
I generally follow this, but Wine has a few exceptions. The first is distro-specific stuff upstream has explicitly said needs to be done distro-specifically: which font aliases we make by default (because each distro has different fonts by default these days).

The second exception is the pulseaudio patches I apply to Wine. This is a fairly significant change. Upstream does not believe in them and has been doing a sound rework for years and years and it still doesn't work as a native pulse backend, which is absolutely needed by some users I've met firsthand (and generally appreciated by all users, somewhat regular complaints about wine sound dropping have basically disappeared since I did this move).

But in winepulse's case, it's cause I've got a developer actively maintaining the patches who helps me maintain the Wine package (and I helped him get him a job at Canonical so I know he'll stick around)

Orphaned non-upstream patches should generally die though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

And I know that debbugs is a gigantic pile of incredible fun, but you should probably file a bug about that in the Debian package if you haven't already.

I am a bit curious as to the validity of packaging winetricks though. It's a giant shell script that you can just wget, right?
Yes it is just a wget-able thing but knowing it's on users systems makes it a lot easier for them to run various fiddly bits of Wine still needed. AppDB can just say "run winetricks xyz and this program will work" and the user doesn't need to learn about wget or even open a terminal (winetricks has a primitive but functional gui now).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

spankmeister posted:

question: Have you heard of wine-pipelight and will the patches in there ever make it to upstream Wine?
Yes the pipelight guys hang out in Wine IRC channel and do their best to upstream their patches.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

oval office AND PASTE posted:

arch really hasn't broken itself in a long time (check the front page, all the announcements there are all pretty minor)

the aur is the killer feature for me. dealing with custom repos and PPAs is really terrible. admittedly, the aur isn't perfect, but you have a greater chance of the package not completely disappearing because someone got bored or banned from launchpad

Might I ask what Ubuntu packages you needed to get from PPAs provided by users that have been since banned from Launchpad?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

oval office AND PASTE posted:

it compiles as the user and then installs through sudo, it even prompts and asks if you'd like to check the PKGBUILD script for maliciousness. basically, it's 100% like doing it manually.
uhh this sounds an awful lot like checkinstall

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Tray icons are bad and pretty much everybody is looking forward to getting rid of them.
It's me, I'm the guy who saved XEmbed tray icon support in Unity (to make Wine apps work since some Windows programs rely on their systray for core functionality).

They had the good sense to ban everything that isn't Wine from the systray though :)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

create a tiny little window called GAY BABY JAIL for windows notification area icons
Wine will literally do this (well, it's named "Wine Systray") if it can't find a suitable systray equivalent on the running desktop. It looks as dumb as it sounds.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm actually curious: are system tray icons in Windows just the exact same thing? A window you can draw onto by receiving WM_PAINT messages and such? Because if so, yeah, we need to figure out what to do with Wine, because XEmbed is the only way you can emulate something like that.
Systray things in Windows can do all of the following:

1) Behave differently on left and right click
2) Draw something that's not a menu
3) Draw non-standard (or even non-rectangular) bits of interface on the screen without bringing up an actual window
4) Be a service launched at login
5) Be the only way to quit (or sometimes interact with at all) a running application
6) Have their own color and theming scheme independent of the system

So, yeah, you need XEmbed "legacy" support for Wine. And maybe lovely Java apps.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

That was an actual thing that a coworker said to my face.

the infighting is coming from within the red hat
hey maybe problems like this kinda stem from how you organize your project around distinct roles and responsibilities rather than making stuff like usability and security something everyone should be thinking of

In Ubuntu we don't strictly have "the UX guys" or "the Security guys". Especially when that's tied to employment, you end up with people believing that they have their own little silo to protect. Worse, sometimes people think that something within another silo is somebody else's problem -- even benignly not wanting to step on other's toes.

Instead, everyone with upload rights is just a developer and can upload any package to Universe or to Main+Universe. Sure, there are people who work on particular things (eg me and Wine), and there are people who even get paid to work on certain particular things (eg most Canonical staff), but part of our process and organization makes everything feel like a shared burden.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah ShadowHawk, you must trust your community members a lot if they have the keys to the kingdom.

"Anybody who checks this box on the website gets instant root shell access to the millions of Ubuntu installs around the world"
To be clear the process is:

Developer who has gone through Ubuntu membership process and Developer membership process makes package update, signs it with his GPG key. He uses dput to upload it, then Launchpad compares his signature with his upload rights. If they match and he is uploading to the current development alpha, the package gets accepted into the -proposed repository.

Once there, it needs to build and pass automated tests for it and all reverse-dependencies (ie, upload libfoo then the tests for package bar that depends on libfoo need to still pass). If it does, then an archive admin can click the button for pushing it into the actual archive (and not just -proposed).

When we freeze the archive near release, there is also additional process that gets more burdensome as the release is closer and the package is more important (default install packages within a week of release need release team approval, for instance). There are similar "soft freezes" that happen earlier in the cycle that one can get exceptions to, like feature freeze and UI freeze.

For stable release updates, ie the ones actually used by millions of people, we have more process around verification and so on designed to prevent regressions, as regressions in a stable release are really bad.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Beefy Miracle was basically a joke from our team about how dumb release names were in general. They finally stopped naming releases and I'm happy.
Or you could try the Ubuntu thing and rebrand every release.

Although this has the downside of about 30% of the posts about Ubuntu consisting of random alliterative release name "suggestions"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

i wish everyone just ignored the name and used the version number everywhere
We basically try to do this for "public-facing" information. But, like, open source.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

double sulk posted:

do u want 2 work w/shadowhawk?
I don't work for Canonical but I'm thinking I might app for one of their jobs again.

FMguru posted:

y

as long as it isnt for a position on the wine team

wine is not employment
I got a wine developer hired by Canonical to do X stuff he helps me maintain the packages now (and maintains the winepulse patches).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Today's containers have slightly less overhead costs than full VMs. That's about it if you don't put more work into them. You probably don't want to bother.

In theory though with some effort your containers can get other savings over VMs, such as mounting a common shared-on-host-disk read only file system. With one kernel opening files for multiple containers you'd get more caching.

Using containers as a way to get some sort of security by narrowing the scope of damage is a different use case, but VMs can do that just as well (possibly better depending on how much you trust the actual containerization).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

physical media has drm too so linux hippies are criminals wanting to watch blurays illegally on a linux
I'm not sure I'll ever really forgive hollywood for appointing a head of the MPAA who, when asked about this particular issue, agreed that the law saying Linux users should go to jail for attempting to watch their legally purchased movies was fine as written.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

api call girl posted:

on the other hand, debian

even I won't endorse debian politics

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Debian still ships my software with patches that are broken. I still get bug reports upstream for crashes that those patches cause upstream, and I have personally asked the maintainers of the packages to remove their patches many times over. I do not like shipping broken software to users, and it's extremely exhausting to have to explain to users that it's out of my control.
This is basically what was going on with Wine before I took over -- debian was so bad that Wine was just telling users to build from source.

I spent quite a long time trying to get into Debian "official" but there was already a (bad) maintainer and I just sorta gave up on it. Ubuntu then started to exist and I got welcomed with open arms. There's a reason Ubuntu's Wine packages are well maintained and Debian's aren't. It's just a lot simpler and nicer to contribute to Ubuntu, and we get poo poo done.

I think another good story to tell here would be the multiarch transition. It was in a stable Ubuntu release about a year and a half before Debian, cause we actually could just knuckle down and do it for our versions of packages. It would take that year and a half for our patches to slowly filter their way back into Debian and for a proper multi-arch release to come out.

Multi-arch is something Wine very much needs, so it gave me yet another reason to basically ignore Debian for a year. I don't have too many excuses to not actually make Debian versions of my packages left, though, especially with SteamOS. But man it'll be an extra hassle (Debian doesn't even have a PPA system like launchpad does...the closest is a service provided by OpenSuSE of all things).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

debian's wine maintainer conformed to policy and paid attention to mailing lists. you ignored all that inconvenient stuff and poo poo out totally monolithic packages with a thousand dependencies.

shocking that they did not welcome you with open arms
Uh, no, Debian's Wine maintainer shipped a broken package split into dozens of chunks based on 1.5 year old Wine releases. He also worked for Transgaming who were direct competitors with free Wine. I asked in IRC if someone could do a non-maintainer upload of a new package on my behalf and got a rather cold reception, especially since I didn't have maintainer gatekeeper approval.

Debian's more of a loose confederation of package maintainers running their own fiefdoms than a coherent system.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

As someone who spends about 90% of his development time cleaning up Debian-inherited messes, I seriously don't understand the endorsement for it that keeps getting cargo-culted around here. The whole point of Ubuntu was to polish up Debian and release it on a regular basis, and it still does that.

If you're saying to stay away from Ubuntu cause you don't like the default desktop and don't want to install a different one but can somehow manage the debian install process that forces you to then lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. shipping 6-month-old debian unstable doesn't count as "releasing" anything. it's already old and broken on day one, because debian's rolling release has been progressing while ubuntu faffs about with ad-supported desktops
Ubuntu imports packages up to debian import freeze, which is 3 months into the development cycle. After that packages can be manually imported. It's nowhere near 6 months old.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what you call "mess" I call "policy". you poo poo out half baked non-compliant packages for a hobby. once, for a few months, a startup paid you for this dubious service. you, and people like you, are the problem with ubuntu, shadowhawk. gently caress the community repos. seriously. such a loving cesspool.

ubuntu: if it isn't broken out of the box, there's a community package to break it later
man I don't blame you for getting so mad; there's some serious cognitive dissonance between reality and your world view

like here you were thinking debian's standards were perfect and that the political model of having 1000 separate maintainers who can each veto constructive changes must be the one true way

then reality comes and they can't ship a useful version of wine for years, half of them defect to double as Ubuntu developers, and major important architectural changes like the multiarch transition lag 2 whole years behind Ubuntu

So then you fall back on the "standards" argument. Blind compliance to "standards" was the original justification behind splitting Wine into 12 different packages with names like libwine-oss that had to each be manually installed if you wanted arbitrary apps to work. For actual human users, though, just about every interesting app would break entirely due to this "helpful" feature. And why does this standard exist in Debian? So system administrators who knew exactly what they were doing could theoretically save about 15 kb of disk space by reducing the installation footprint of software that upstream never intended to be split.

I'm sorry but that's really stupid. But, again, you have my sympathies. It's not easy to have your worldview shattered, especially when it was a very well ordered one.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the key thing is that if you don't like a standard, you don't just poo poo out a substandard package, upload it, and call it a day. you have to, you know, convince other people it's a good idea and discuss it in appropriate venues and fix the standard
Or I could, you know, spend my time actually writing software and publishing it in a place with smarter organizational structure.

quote:

ubuntu's community repos mop up all the people too stupid or obstinate to meet the (minimal) qualifications to upload to debian

idiots who just can't work with others
Debian's entire social system is designed to avoid working with others by dividing up everything into fiefdoms. Ubuntu's forces us to work together.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ubuntu and Debian are both terrible. Why doesn't Wine themselves publish binaries for Linux? Is it an actual real amount of work for you, ShadowHawk?
This is sort of a weird question as the Wine people think of me as The Ubuntu Guy and the Ubuntu people think of me as The Wine Guy. I really am a member of both projects.

If you meant "Linux in general", it's because the binaries really do need to be built differently for each distro due to differences in the 50+ dependencies and so on.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol what software do you write
yeah I didn't want to believe that packaging, integration, configuration, and Ubuntu development was software engineering either

but after doing this and "real" software engineering on different projects and companies, it's the same drat thing just different languages and metadata

to be fair it's a bit closer to devops than "I'm just a programmer" software development because you actually have to care about stuff like deployment and building and installability and so on

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sure, but why can't that be automated and written by the Wine team? It can't be more than an hour of work.
Here is the current wine package changelog:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7491257/

Everything in there that isn't "new upstream release" is a real problem that required some amount of work to fix.

I've automated Wine daily package builds in the past it's no big deal (and Launchpad will soon support actually doing this properly in a way that can also run the Wine test suite).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

(and do note that's just one package, I've touched a whole lot of other poo poo as well as prompted others to fix issues in other packages I've ran into, it's all one interconnected system)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

theultimo posted:

is this where i come in and say i work with codeweavers for fixes on games for mac and linux using crossover?
Sup bro have we met IRL

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

wish youd write a wrapper to translate your posts into the garbage

translating posts into garbage is pretty easy I just click the quote button under your name

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

seems like that joke could have been implemented better
yeah I was rapid prototyping it

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

theultimo posted:

not sure, i started pretty recently, working with ken thomas on improving x11 mac intergration and dx10 patches.
Ahh probably not then I missed Wineconf this year.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

hey is this the point in the conversation where someone is wishing debian had more regular releases so problems like this wouldn't happen so often

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

debian has perfectly good regular releases. i am recommending one of the rolling releases.

is this the part where you pitch for a year old snapshot of debian with chunks replaced by idiots?
no not really rolling releases of testing are a reasonable thing for debian to do and I'm not really sure why they bother with stable anymore

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

To be clear Debian doesn't really have the infrastructure or organization to do or support stable releases properly. They do, however, have the ability to incorporate growing amounts of automated testing and phased migrations which you absolutely need if you're going to even attempt rolling releases.

I'll note that a lot of the testing infrastructure is big in Ubuntu (this is the sort of stuff that benefits both projects when Ubuntu devs put on their Debian hats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you really don't sense the irony in your shitposts do you
Rolling releases are ok, consistent high quality stable ones are better.
Debian's ok, Ubuntu is better.