Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

pram posted:

lol no

you can do literally everything with homebrew and not deal with amateur desktop software
Homebrew is not exactly a way of avoiding "amateur desktop software"

And yes, OSX is a lovely Unix. They still ship terminal programs with versions that are literally 9 years out of date because Apple is worried GPL-3 software might hinder their ability to claim they own rounded corners in bullshit lawsuits against competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Honest question: I haven't used X11.app on OS X. What are your frustrations? I'll make sure that the apps that you need work perfectly on Xwayland.
Wine on OSX has had persistent issues due to lovely X11 support. "Go write a coco driver for Wine" is kind of a dumb response because at the end of the day it won't actually make Wine look better on OSX since it'll still be Windows apps.

Suspicious Dish posted:

fd.o systray will be supported as well as it is under current X11 desktops (i.e. not at all)
This will break Wine. You need systray support even if you only allow Wine to do it via a whitelist (literally what Unity does) because there are Windows apps that absolutely depend on their systray for core functionality.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Management posted:

we're nearing the halfway point and I'm not seeing more linux desktops than last year. are we counting chromebooks or are they not a real linux?
any day now we'll start counting android phones that can plug into docking stations

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

This is where I complain about Mint again for being a bunch of goddamn know-it-all amateurs.

There are three tiers of dependency relationships in .deb packages: Depends, where the package manager refuses to install without them, Recommends, where apt installs them by default but doesn't force the parent package's removal if you remove them, and Suggests, where the package manager doesn't install them by default. This was defined in the standard, but for a while apt wasn't actually installing Recommends by default.

4 years ago or so, the Debian and Ubuntu developers changed this to respect the standard. This of course required going through the archive and removing a bunch of things that didn't actually need to be Recommends, which were instead demoted to Suggests. It also involved demoting a few Depends to Recommends, since strictly speaking the package could run without them they were just really nice to have.

Mint, in their infinite wisdom, decided to revert this behavior in their latest version. This means that Recommends are now treated the same as Suggests in Mint, and you won't get them unless you explicitly go out looking for them.

Here is what installing Wine without Recommends gets you:
- No print support
- No replacement fonts (some apps will show literally no text)
- Broken sound
- No SSL connections (all DRM will break)
- Plus about 14 other "optional" stuff Wine expects that make random apps work better

The only redeeming fact here is that Mint also installs a whole bunch of crap by default, so there's a slight chance the user will have these Recommended packages anyway.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why do you ship things in eight billion subpackages? Why are they "optional" at all if you complain when the user doesn't install them?
The Recommends I'm referring to are not subpackages of Wine at all - they're other libraries on the system. There's a very good reason libgnutls isn't part of the Wine package :D

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/wine1.6-amd64

Debian made the mistake of having a billion subpackages for Wine and it's one of the reasons Ubuntu has a completely different non-debian-derived package for them.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Every other OS: don't remove those parts, they're required for the app to function.

Linux: it's optional, go ahead, remove the parts you don't need! Except don't remove those parts, because then the app won't function.
To be clear, on Ubuntu, the normal use case is you get a fully working app by default. If you deliberately explicitly go into the package manager and remove a system library for some reason, then the package manager will do its best to respect that you don't want it and keep the rest of your software working as best it can rather than delete them for you.

This way you can have things like embedded apps or VM appliances without having to completely give up on the package manager.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Why not mark them as Requireds, then?
Because Wine can still run usefully and run a bunch of apps without them. Not every app uses every piece of the Windows API Wine has implemented. Some of those pieces pull in other libraries.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

What's the use case for removing libgnutls and breaking literally all DRM? Is that a use case Ubuntu really wants to support out of the box?
It doesn't break on Ubuntu out of the box since we install the Recommends by default. "Recommends" is a pretty strong Recommends (eg if a Recommends is uninstallable at package install time apt will throw an error rather than just charge ahead -- it's more like "depends that are able to be manually removed if you insist".)

If you're asking "why not make all defaults mandatory for everyone" then, well, there are different use cases. For Wine as well as any other package.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah then make them reqs and if idiots want to remove them they can use --force on dpkg or something

stop optimizing for edge cases
It's not "optimizing for edge cases" so much as not actively trying to further break things for users who do manual configuration. We already hide that manual configuration from idiots.

But now Mint is forcing all their users to be idiots by default.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sure. But there's conceptually no difference between a weak dep and an optional one. Why do you have any right to complain when your own optional deps aren't being installed? Either make them a dep or don't.
Should gnome-desktop be forcefully uninstalled when a user removes the weather app?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Shaggar posted:

there should be 2 package modes:
Extremely Autistic - only installs the bare minimum to make the thing do core functions.
Autistic - installed by default. installs everything to make it work like a normal Linux user wants it to.
The latter is Ubuntu and Debian
The former is typing apt-get --no-install-recommends into the console. And now Mint.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

gnome-desktop does not depend on the weather app, so no.
And if you were a developer that wanted it installed by default when a user installs gnome-desktop, what would you do?

(Or the default theme, or the clock, or...)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Most codecs are patent-encumbered, and SuSE doesn't license them to ship them out of the box, and they consider it a legal risk to ship them as packages. This is something I desperately want to fix, but legal refused. This is one of the reasons I'm leaving Red Hat: an inability to fix broken poo poo like this.
This is something Ubuntu does right. "Click here if you are not American wink wink nudge nudge"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that would be pram.

itt i am catching bullshit from both ends: cjs are mad that i think you should have real working automation, startup manchildren are equal parts astonished and disgusted that anyone thinks about operations in the first place

ops are cool but a lot of startups really don't want to have to actually hire an ops guy so they hope that some magical tool will just solve it for them (lol heroku)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

for the 99% case, it does
right and this 99% of the time they fail before the hit sufficient scale

but I think we've already made that joke

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the joke here is ops people refusing to understand the death of ops and the rise of devops
Err, I don't disagree. I'm actually referring to devops here. Heroku enthusiasts magically believe devops will be handled as well. Or that their cloud provider will do their absolute best to ensure they minimize their server usage and pay their cloud provider the smallest possible amount of money.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

api call girl posted:

fair enough

lol nope

still good to use as a generalized service to kill all sorts of things, not just ssh
Have a single public-facing SSH server that has your key on it and then use that as an ssh relay to all the servers that ban sshing from everywhere but your home and office.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

anyway kdbus and gnome sandboxes will solve this for the narrow case of desktop applications (which tbh nobody really cares about for linux anyway). so you'll have a sandboxed GNOME Weather applet and GNOME Music application that can be released to users directly via self-contained release ZIPs from upstream downloaded via the GNOME Software application. Great.

app stores don't really work for server applications though, which is why I'm not so keen on this one-size-fits-all solution. There the problem is slightly different: all of the languages used to develop server apps have their own siloed package managers which don't interact with rpm or deb at all (node.js npm, Java maven, Perl CPAN, whatever thing Python has). But arguably that isn't important as long as you wall off some chunk of the FHS for them to play in, then set up ansible/puppet/whatever to use the system-level package manager to install your db servers and managed code VMs, then in parallel command the managed code VM package managers to install your application packages. I dunno. It doesn't seem like a problem that really needs fixing.

The only real area where this becomes a problem is when you have rpm/deb-packaged desktop apps written in these managed langs. Then you end up making rpm/deb packages for CPAN modules or whatever and it all goes straight to hell.

Either way these are two very different problems with very different desired final solutions. Poettering's Hall of Mirrors doesn't really seem to solve either of them particularly well.
Vast swathes of test suites may be our best option at this point (both the upstream ones and distro-created ones in the packages themselves). That way we can at least prevent our own regressions from upgrading the shared bits, which so far has been a surprisingly difficult problem!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason systemd is controversial is that it has been picked up by redhat, the 800 lb gorilla. there is no meaningful "choice" there.
And Ubuntu, who are even abandoning our own hipster bespoke init replacement upstart.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

and have its installation processing be declarative with a fixed vocabulary that can maybe be extended over time. deb went the opposite way: debs used to have completely freeform installation shell scripts that ran as root but over time bits and pieces of these all got packaged into "debhelper" scripts and now most debs install themselves exclusively by calling a sequence of debhelper scripts from the installation script and nothing else

or something. i've never actually built a deb.
Yes this is basically correct. By moving away from maintainer scripts to debhelper commands we also make it much easier to convert things away from standard system .deb packages to something more modern.

"Click" packages, for instance, are Ubuntu's new solution for software that's more like an app than a system daemon. They're like .debs with a narrow set of requirements (ie no custom installation shell scripts, can depend only on things in the standard set of packages known as the Ubuntu SDK, etc). Most software that's not "the system", ie the stuff you will probably really need a distro for for the forseeable future, could eventually be demoted in this fashion. It's also much easier to make packages like this more portable to other platforms -- supporting installing Click packages on Red Hat through a compatibility layer is a much easier problem than a random .deb with all manner of dependencies.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ator posted:

I wanted to do some linux computering today

sudo apt-get install qt-sdk

to make a desktop application for linux (lol)

but I get these 404 errors about raring-security not found or some poo poo. so I guess my linux mint cinnamon went stale and I have to upgrade?? so I can't even install new software on this thing or what. and then google says oh just type apt-get dist-upgrade but nope that has the same errors.

please tell me how bad I am at linux, and where I screwed up.

right now I'm running rsync to backup this machine, then I'll just install stock debian and never install a fancy desktop for linux ever again
Mint is bad and was hot linking to the Ubuntu servers for the update they were driving from. Raring hasn't been supported for over a year. Just put in a new Ubuntu LTS CD and do the install option that preserves your home directory, no futzing needed.

Ubuntu had more supported software than Debian fwiw, oss included

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.
If your standard for "supported" is "was uploaded to debian at some point long ago and then forgotten" or "is actively maintained by paid canonical professionals" then you have a double standard hth

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes, abandoned packages with no maintainer are a real problem in debian

in ubuntu, they are the majority of the packages
No, you really don't understand the workflow here. A huge portion of Ubuntu developers are also Debian developers. We actively dislike deltas with Debian, and very frequently submit Ubuntu-changes to Debian for later inclusion or just fix them in debian directly and sync them.

By your reasoning an Ubuntu developer who is supporting his package on Ubuntu and makes it work by this process would count as "unsupported" in Ubuntu and "supported" in Debian.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

By your reasoning an Ubuntu developer who is supporting his package on Ubuntu and makes it work by this process would count as "unsupported" in Ubuntu and "supported" in Debian.
Similarly, a wholly working piece of software, tested and supported but requiring no changes from Debian, would somehow count as "unsupported" by you. It's like complaining that Ubuntu isn't supporting software because we're being good open source citizens and upstreaming our fixes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no that is just fine. that is a desirable state.

unfortunately that is not a guarantee, or even an expectation, in universe. once you enable the universe repo, you get the carefully maintained packages, and also three categories of broken poo poo:

quote:

Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).
Make up your drat mind. Either you want it fixed Debian first and synced/merged to Ubuntu ("bad") or you want it supported and fixed in Ubuntu first ("really bad" or "really, really, bad")

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i give zero shits about where it comes from, i care about what happens after a release

replacing things at random is really, really bad

I'm not sure you understand what ShadowHawk is saying. The Ubuntu "universe" is basically the same exact packages as what's in Debian. So why do you like Debian and hate Ubuntu?
Moreover, if what you care about is actual releases, the Ubuntu versions will be more up to date since Ubuntu releases more often (even if you only count LTSes).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the LTS is something ubuntu gets right, it's infuriating that debian has indefinite release cycles and only 1 year to migrate after a new version comes out. i cannot imagine running a business under those circumstances

of course, the only part that gets "released" and supported is the canonical core. so i guess that's great if i want to run php applications
Universe goes through the same release process as Main, it just gets less attention on average. Debian auto-imports get frozen midway through release, then the archive gets soft frozen for betas and so on. The entire purpose is the same, to minimize regressions from one stable release to the next.

When a newer Debian package is known to be better after Debian Import Freeze, it gets synced manually (or a particular patch from it put into just the -ubuntu version). I have, personally, done this process with all manner of random universe packages. This particular procedure, incidentally, is much more direct support than Debian Testing gets, which is an almost entirely automated process.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Sauer posted:

the Windows key or whatever FOSS nerds call it
that's the super key

no, the meta key

mine has a tiny ubuntu sticker on it covering the windows logo

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Berkshire Hunts posted:

system76 was giving them away for a while. I think I've still got an envelope full in a drawer somewhere.

Yeah I have a ton of shwag like this and if you were my secret santee you probably got some

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

for real though I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than an Apple fanboy reference the "certified unix!" thing as though it mattered

meanwhile all the not-linuxes (except OSX!) have linux-compatibility layers. OSX meanwhile has 9 year old versions of Bash because they're afraid someone might use their distribution of GPL3 software to attack their patents that are so vague they also cover 9 year old versions of Bash.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

MrMoo posted:

I received a bug report update yesterday that a Solaris 9 bug I logged about ELFCLASS32 was fixed :lol:
Every once in a while I will receive updates on bugs I filed 7+ years ago on various OSS projects. Sometimes they really do get fixed.

For certain projects with out-of-control bugtrackers (eg Gnome) though, it's far more common that component will be replaced and all the bugs will be closed as obsolete en masse.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

orphean posted:

except they aren't really doing this and all the DEC VT emulation, ECMA-48, etc is just being reimplemented because all the bug tested stable as poo poo kernel code is worthless and this needs to be in userspace because of reasons. all this effort to support the 0.5% of people who actually use console ttys (as opposed to terminal emulators, or ssh, or what have you) is obviously worthwhile
Here's a fun experiment to present to a user: watch what happens when they accidentally hit ctrl+alt+F1

The most likely outcome is that the user concludes their computer broke and power cycles it. If you're really lucky the distro might have included instructions into getty to press ctrl+alt+f7 to get back to the actual system. But those instructions aren't possible to translate, or even update if there was a successful boot, because all these dumb VTs run in kernel space.

It's like when we disabled X11's "press these keys to crash all programs on the computer button" by default and idiots complained that we were removing functionality.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zombywuf posted:

What users are just mashing Ctrl+Alt+F1? How does that even happen?
On my keyboard my F keys are about as far from the number keys as the number keys are from the letters.

Put some ctrl+alt bindings in for various keyboard shortcuts or gaming keys

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Soricidus posted:

like most desktop related changes, the removal of the useful x server termination shortcut was imposed for the alleged benefit of people who will never use linux, and caused nothing but inconvenience to the people who actually do use it every day. apparently this is progress.
I use linux every day and haven't felt a need to forcefully kill X in maybe 6 years.

And if I did, power cycling my computer wouldn't be that big of a difference anyway.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

pram posted:

apple osx features quite a few steam games my friend
So does Ubuntu and Debian (aka SteamOS) :)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Zombywuf posted:

Fortunately I can put it off till 14.04 expires. But it's still there, waiting for me.
it seems like you expect to still be in business in 5 years

it's not the startup way

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome 3.14 trip report -- it sucks. if this had been 3.00 beta release #1, this would be ok. but it's the eighth stable release after three years, and tons of poo poo doesn't work

backstory: i bought one of those windows 8 convertible laptop/tablet doohickeys. in "tablet" mode it has a windows key, a volume up, and a volume down, and that's it.

gnome 3.14 on fedora 21 successfully configures the touchscreen as a multitouch absolute-positioning mouse. so far so good.

upgrading to gnome 3.14 gets me the onscreen keyboard automatically in most of the right places most of the time. but only in gtk 3 applications. if you want to run an application that isn't gnome 3 native, you are screwed. notably firefox and chrome are not gtk3

if the automatic launch isn't working, there is no way to manually launch the on-screen keyboard w/out having a keyboard already. you have to bind a keyboard shortcut to open it. i said, "ok, that's dumb, but ok" and attempted to bind it to the windows key. no dice. gnome 3 will not allow you to use a modifier key as a keybinding alone.

so i decided to give up on actual good web browsers and try the shitbucket that comes with gnome 3: epiphany. to my delight, epiphany does in fact support autoloading the on-screen keyboard like other gnome 3 native apps. unfortunately typing into the url bar immediately breaks because the autocomplete box pops up over top of the on-screen keyboard

it is really, really obvious that nobody ever tried this on a tablet, not even once

it is rough around the edges even by open sores standards. basic features do not work, the things that do work do not work consistently (i often clicked in a text field and got no keyboard, only to repeat and get the keyboard back)
Hey you should try Ubuntu Unity it was designed for tablets

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Share Bear posted:

you have to disable flash blocking plugins cause they will cause youtube to think you have flash installed
is it enough to just have Firefox set to "ask before enabling flashplugin" ?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

BobHoward posted:

"good" support would mean something like the macintosh operating system ten's dynamic_pager, which creates and destroys swapfiles on demand, functionality which always seemed to be lacking in linuxes. also i don't think i ever saw a linux install which defaulted to files instead of partitions. have these things changed at all?

(my recent linux install experience is limited to red hate and it still does swap partitions because of course it would. kid, nickel, real computer, go buy one, etc)

I'm pretty sure Ubuntu defaults to files now though I haven't done an install on metal in ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

keyvin posted:

My programmer/engineer friend said I should install arch because I would understan d unix. I might do it because I installed an update and my GUI quit working. My friend said I should use vim to repair the xorg.conf file. I don't know what that is, and when I run VIM I have to reset my computer because I can't figure out how to quit. I am committed to running linux on the desktop because the installer wrote over windows and I don't know how to re-install it.

Edit:
My friend said that the gui dissapearing was because "systemd is terrible". He said I wouldn't have this problem if they kept things like they were in 1985.
do not install deliberately difficult distros for "learning" or all you end up doing is learning poo poo that was fixed in real distributions years ago.

keyvin posted:

I re-installed a stable distro. It fixed the GUI. How do I update the browser? I can't use the regular gmail interface because google says my browser version is too old to work right.

Edit: My video card is two years old, but the "kernel driver" does not fully support it yet. What does that mean?
just install ubuntu already