Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
the mint militia

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

whois defendyourbase.net

quote:

Registrant Name: Gabriel WorldOfTanks
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Registrant City: Washington DC
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 20500

its me, im President Gabriel WorldOfTanks

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

KDE is the worst loving desktop environment I have ever had the displeasure to use. Zero redeemable qualities. It has blanketed me in piss.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Why aren't people freaking out more about this stupid loving mistake resulting in a critical libssh vuln?:

https://git.libssh.org/projects/libssh.git/diff/src/dh.c
https://www.libssh.org/security/advisories/CVE-2016-0739.txt

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Been thinking of finagling around w Alpine Linux a bit lately. Musl libc looks cool. What say you, PosLords?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

DNS doesn't work properly so youll end up installing glibc anyway

lol goddamn it

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Posting from a freshly installed Fedora machine. Feels good so far..

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Few days into using fedora and dnf actually kinda owns/seems a lot better than apt. Looking to gain a good enough understanding of selinux through all this.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

yeah, i still need to watch this.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

I mean... have you ever used kde? At least xfce runs smoothly while ugly..

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

If you use Fedora you're doing unpaid QA for RHEL.

idgi, am I missing something here?

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

one of my gigabyte MOBOs despises any bootable linux for some reason.. :smith:

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

does it boot from a cd or usb?

did you turn off secure boot?

how old is it?

only partially booting from usb/cd, but once I get into the actual OS, it dies.. hard

i.. think I still have it on?

the board is from mid-2013 iirc

b0red posted:

look around for the legacy boot option or some poo poo. i can't remember exactly but it was something like that with my gigabyte mobo that would stop linux usbs

I enabled IOMMU after reading that might help, but still nothing

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 27, 2016

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Fedora 25 released today. Updated my home pc on day one, only thing I did was reinstall the nvidia driver on first boot. No issues at all. :awesomelon:

I'm still just really happy with how smooth updating via dnf is for this.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

What's the Linux thread's opinion of "UNIX"

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Fedora is pretty great but lol at trying to get media stuff like VLC working since the switch to wayland, such as https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/98107/vlc-picture-freezes-on-fedora-25/

It will be even more cool and good when they're able to support that stuff better and bring it out of rpmfusion.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

fedora suits my needs, unironically.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

2017 LOTD: A horrible implementation of a decent idea.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Po(o)p! Os: https://system76.com/pop

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Rufus Ping posted:

that bottom left popout thing is a load of poo poo, good riddance

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

arch hurd is a thing, and nobody's cared enough about it to fix its wikipedia article since February

their homepage atm:

the anti-arch wiki.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i am the logo svg screenshotted from inkscape with the control points visible

well I think that part was intentional, judging by the Hurd logo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hurd-logo.svg

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

i don't know why this made me laugh i'm sorry

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Fedora version 31.................................................. works fine on my machine

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

anyone ever mess with this? https://clearlinux.org/

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

I'd never heard of it until some client of ours wouldn't shut up about it

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

https://github.com/oakes/vim_cubed

:q! me outta this whack-rear end cubic prison

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

eat that toejam boy

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

LVFS whips, yeah. I'm glad its being further adapted.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

upgraded to Fedora 34 today on a >10yr old T420 MemePad - runs like a charm.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

why am i installing gentoo.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Truga posted:

my gamebox windows decided to stop updating itself again last year, and today it decided to randomly stop booting so i finally had the excuse i was looking for since ditching nvidia and nuked it

installed deb11 instead, everything works out of the box and the games run smoother lmfao. thanks, valve

Proton is a godsend.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

hbag posted:

i like how it looks eat my rear end

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

the most shameful snype

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

post hole digger posted:

i heard that wayland + nvidia works better with fedora 35 (might have even been itt) but havent really looked into it yet

It does not, in my experience.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

yeah, i never understood the "shell wars" either

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

I, too, like the init system thing part. I'm less happy with the log handling thing. The rest is a dumpster fire.

Having an easy way to put FlexLM daemons into lowest-privilege container-like isolation with only a few switches is pretty neat. They even get ephemeral users assigned to them.

Yeah, I alias that poo poo as "jctl"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Doesn't your shell support command completion?

yes but i am also a spaz