Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

matti posted:

how do you feel about this take

linux is a genius make-work project designed to extract money from capital

i think that makes a lot more sense than anything else

wow cool

so when's it going to start doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sb hermit posted:

my first linux was redhat 6.2 back in 1998 or so, back in the days when nerds bragged about their uptime and you had to actually consult compatibility charts and take a printout to Fry's to make sure you get the right ethernet card

I used slackware on an old 486 in 2000 because it only needed 4 mb of ram and we used it to share an internet connection. Actually gave it to another nerd so they could learn linux and routing as well. Kinda wish I still had it.

At work I'm like "hey we should transition these rhel 7 systems to 8 lickety split there are so many great new features" meanwhile the Fat Boomer Division down the hall insists that nobody upgrade the system that hosts their git repositories, which runs rhel 5

Even the expensive extended support package for that poo poo officially shut off 6 months ago lol