Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
even in 2015 emacs is still kinda slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soricidus posted:

runs fine for me, maybe you need to defrag your disk or reinstall the os?
someday when I reinstall emacs I'll make a video showing some "what the gently caress emacs, why did you stop to think about this for 40 seconds" moments

maybe they're spacemacs issues idk :iiam:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just got back to working with fedora 22 and the gnome 3 feels nicer and all but

how do I hide the menu bar forever on gnome-terminal, what the hell happened why can't I hide it forever anymore aaaaa

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

right-click, uncheck "Show menubar"

but then when I open a new window it appears again, I have to do this every time

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pseudorandom name posted:

this seems like something you'd stick in the preferences, perhaps at the very top of the very first tab in order to make it really easy for the user to find

Suspicious Dish posted:

Edit -> Preferences -> uncheck "Show menubar by default in new terminals"

oh my god I'm sorry I was freaking over this because I thought this option used to be on Profile Preferences

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
am I the only one who mixes up sysctl and systemctl?

I mean fuuuck

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I met some people that got surprised of seeing dudes in open source projects being nice and open

it's like the lkml is so infamous that it distorts the view of open source in general

also something stallman something

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ughhh

http://venturebeat.com/2015/10/15/source-red-hat-is-buying-ansible-for-more-than-100m/

the rumor is that red hat is gonna buy ansible

this is terrible news

if true, it means i would have to start caring about ansible

lmao

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mondrian posted:

oh gently caress you even used a unicode multiplication sign what the poo poo

this is killing me because it looks like poo poo here:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
that mathematica output........................

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
$ yum search python3
No matches found

centos is killing me

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

The_Franz posted:

tbf most of his angry rants come at the end of long mailing list threads full of stupid poo poo where people deserve to be yelled at

yeah that one rant about c++ feels very different when you actually read the e-mails from the rear end in a top hat that caused linus' ire

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Symbolic Butt posted:

$ yum search python3
No matches found

centos is killing me

an update to this: there's python 3.4 on epel and it's all retarded and broken I'm fuming with rage right now gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I can't believe I'll have to compile python from source for this goddamn ansible playbook, how can these people gently caress this up jesus

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Perplx posted:

how is it broken besides not coming with pip?

idk this seems to be the thing that is messing up when you try to use modules

python 3.4 embedded pip into python

epel maintainers for some reason removed that because they know better? but then they actually don't?!? I'm just mad here

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I looked into scl as first mentioned by MrMoo itt but scl is kind of roundabout with the sourcing the context and poo poo so I decided to just go with epel and... well

compiling python 3 from source sounds absurd and overkill but welp it really seems like the more straightforward solution for now

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

anaconda is great but I'm not using any of the scientific stuff for this so I was hoping I could get away with a basic python 3 installation

I think the takeaway from this is that yes, just doing stuff in python 2 is still the less problematic option in the year of 2015

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just realized that I could use just miniconda HMMMM

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
lol no. people hate yum, it's slow as poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
at some point in my life I studied quite a bit for the LPI certification exams (laffo I know) which I never did because I didn't have the money and even if there's a lot of bullshit in these exams I learned some useful stuff

the journey is important yo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nosl posted:

What is with the blote on packages nowadays?

To take a smaller package for example, ncurses, took 1 min 4 seconds to compile on Oct 2014 with an i5 2500k, now takes 1 min 20 seconds to compile today on an i7 4790k.

Do developers just not give a poo poo?

iirc ncurses had a lot of optional stuff but on ncurses 6 (which was released recently) they just made them compile by default

like extended color palette, utf-8, screen dumping, mouse support etc

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm Patrick Volkerding's autograph

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

prefect posted:

machiavelli did write a book called "the art of war"

(although there's so much going on in that picture that i have no idea which part of it you're talking about :shobon:)

first window on the second column: /home/book/Niccolo Machiavelli - The Art Of War.txt

I'm the spaces in the filename

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soricidus posted:

lol if you regularly use or write programs/scripts that break when file names contain spaces

it''s not even this, I just think anyone who used a unix console for more than 5 minutes would hate typing spaces in filenames

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Smythe posted:

its unbelievable to me how bad non beefy desktops are. theyre slow, you cant click anything good, you cant run a poo poo load of programs. they suck to type on. eveyrththing about non computers suxors. IMO, well, FOR ME - it's better to do the computering at the Big Computer and when you're away AFK - hell, just DWI.

+1 insightful

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't see a troll hacking being so... specific? there's also no "lulz potential" like the dude being anally raped by the police or something

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
it was also posted itt

not making GBS threads on you prefect, just giving credit where it's due

the 'pos is a well informed establishment

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gnome-terminal suits my terminal needs

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
there's something about the design flaw in root commands here which is a totally valid criticism on the current state of unix but

Haquer posted:

mount -l too hard

this

dd is dangerous and not something that he should have muscle memory to type all the time?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pram posted:

wtf nbsd doesnt advocate ansible you moron thats me

lmao

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
gnome3 is pretty good but only works well on fedora last time I checked

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Barnyard Protein posted:

Installed KDE. what the gently caress is going on with the icons in this tool bar

wait are you using emacs as a web browser wtf is wrong with you

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
sometimes android studio fucks up with gnome3's alt-tab

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

computer toucher posted:

liberal western computerfondler.

moooods

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

巴 looks like an old mouse

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sniep posted:

at least its better than accidentally ending up in emacs as a default editor and having to Ctrl+Z to bg the process then pkill it to quit (there's no other actual way to quit emacs other than to kill it's process that i know of)

what

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
nah I bet my rear end it was a no name greybeard who thinks too highly of himself

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Arch's documentation isn't even really that expansive or thorough. It's just amazingly good at quickly running through all the important options, edge cases, and common use cases.

:agreed:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

my stepdads beer posted:

I upgraded to Fedora 24 and now gnome crashes after 5 minutes and dumps me in the boot tty. Ctrl alt f2 fixes it and this is in dmesg:
traps: gnome-shell[1584] trap int3

how fix what do

good old cc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord