Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

at the point where you're running both linux and windows *anyway* though you'd need a pretty good reason for it to make sense to not just reverse the virtualization and wsl. windows is not without problems, but drivers are good and it is a perfectly fine virtualization host.

much as i like to make fun of it the pure linux gamer is clearly trying to do something as a tinkering and hobby project.

myself, i just keep a windows system around solely for games - i looked at using gpu passthrough too though, and on os x at least it works reasonably well. but overall i agree, it's a bit easier to just have a dedicated windows system for games. i don't use it for anything else though, windows as a host for most anything just doesn't appeal much, i'd never use it as a vm host. the whole idea to me is to interact and fiddle w/ windows as infrequently as possible. the ideal, all else being equal is just a nice vm w/ win 10 pro or enterprise that you can use for games and it's fine, just shut it down when you're done and forget all about windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

iirc if you have an nvidia card GPU passthrough only works if you have a quadro or titan. also

it wasn't officially supported but worked fine for running games in a vm, and just recently they started officially supporting it as well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i like freebsd as a desktop. it's good if you're into more unix-y things. also super stable and most anything runs on it. fairly easy to make a server or nice desktop with. lots of companies use bsd for the network stack, like netflix uses a bunch of bsd, and sony as well

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

shoeberto posted:

Clever workaround though imo. Can't wait until someone deploys it in prod and a decade later another yosposter shows up itt saying "look at this dumb poo poo I found when debugging latency issues"

that's job security for the future

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wonder if valve using arch for steam means they'll submit patches and help make it more reliable, or will valve have random outages? guess we'll see!

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yummycheese posted:

reading that article and the comments goes a long way in demonstrating that emacs is basically a social club and it will never change.

The people who use and maintain it want it exactly the way it is so they will have their little comfort zone forever.

Im sure it will die naturally over time. used by a few die hards but utterly dwarfed by the millions of vscode users.

which honestly. if you want your little bespoke editor to be the way it is. stop pretending to be open and inclusive about having new devs on board. just come out and say you like it this way and no you wont change it. the mental gymnastics and time spent writing these replies seems like a huge drain on the project.

i just use vi and a few of the features. it's fine, and leaves me free to think about more important things, eg most anything else. think if i ever needed to do heavy dev work i'd just use whatever jetbrains has on their ides because it's fine, who cares

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

psiox posted:

is there a compelling reason to use xfs over ext4 these days?

either on lvm for my upcoming storage rigg sounds Okay

i like xfs on linux because nasa uses it, and it reliably works on modest hardware as well. it's needs suiting for me if i'm using linux. i don't know what features ext4 has vs xfs, but you can grow an xfs filesystem and such, it's full featured and robust. i switched to xfs on the rare occasions i use linux, mostly because i had an ext4 filesystem that destroyed itself shortly after install (but well after i'd spent the time to set things up). reinstalled w/ xfs and that pc has worked fine since

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this reads like the shrimp saved my life story

that's cool they're more motivated to do stuff now, rather than be helpless

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

the Linux kernel is a small part of what makes a Linux

copypasta GNU slash Linux or as I've taken to calling it GNU plus Linux

Vintersorg posted:

looks like an animal turd wow

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

mystes posted:

I realize that audio output doesn't work in linux, but does speech recognition really not work in windows?

no it does not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzJ0CytAsec&t=94s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

if you don't like find, but enjoy finding things on your systems, you can install a command called locate; it's m/p locate on some distros, versions. it's a lot like find, except it generates a db of your local files, and periodically it goes back through and re-indexes things. it's significantly more convenient to use to actually find files, although you do have to keep in mind that it's a static snapshot, if it's something you just added