Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

you know what else doesn’t have ads AND you don’t have to janitor? An Apple TV. I also sleep in a big bed with my wife.

i watch pirated media completely ad free in s big bed with your wife too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i copied a floppy today

super mario print world

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

why is it everything in the graphics stack of linux is magic env variables for configuration all the way down why cant we just have some loving files in etc

i give you /etc/environment

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i use a pure romulan graphics stack

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i use udev to assign useful device names and permissions to usb serial devices

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

you can use “gio mount -d” to mount encrypted volumes from the command line without entering the account password or requiring root privileges, I think. Not sure if it requires you to be in a specific group or if you’re in the console logged-in group though, but I expect that to be the case.

gnome let's you do all sorts of poo poo you'd expect to need root for

you can change a systems loving hostname without auth

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

open the control panel, go to about this system or whatever its called (bottom section in control panel), click on the hostname and edit away

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

set -euo pipefail

all day every day

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

gnustep is so hilariously bad that even window maker doesn't use it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

shut the gently caress up all of you

curses are the peak gui toolkit

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it feels native on kde

i'd even argue it feels more native than virt-manager on kdr

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

old pcs are lovely retro game consoles, there is no other practical use for any general-purpose computer weaker than a raspberry pi.

hard disagree. sometimes it's about the complete experience.

f-15 strike eagle ii is the tits on my tandy 1000 hx with cm-11 monitor and og tandy joystick

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

also, i have a dmp-130a that i can't drive from linux, but print shop on the tandy drives that beast with no trouble

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

fdroid will allow developers to ship their own signed binaries -- if the binaries are reproducible.
https://f-droid.org/en/docs/Reproducible_Builds/

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

more like vschoad

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i used nano for like three weeks as a frosh

i'll let the pico/nano users slide though. now joe users. gently caress those guys and their habit of leaving joe turds all over the filesystem

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

40 oz to freedom was good

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my shell scripts always start off as one liners, composed over a few executions

for cluster in $(cat clusters); do echo $cluster:; for release in $(helm --kube-context $cluster list | grep somestring | awk '{ print $1 }'); do echo " $release:"; helm --kube-context $cluster get values $release | grep -e 'someotherstring\|onemorearbitrarystring'; done; done

was one today

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bash has arrays

poo poo, bash has associative arrays

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i usually debug with echo prefixes

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mycophobia posted:

is there some other way to debug besides writing print("got here") in random spots

in bash it's more like

$ for i in $(gen-shitshow); do echo deal-with-shitshow $i; done

deal-with-shitshow dumb_colleague
deal-with-shitshow sales_sold_something_we_havent_built_yet
deal-with-shitshow ran_out_of_fucks
deal-with-shitshow us_east_1

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Poopernickel posted:

if I'd put Python into the rootfs, it would have doubled the size of firmware releases. That translates into slower firmware updates, more expensive flash memory, and higher bandwidth costs in serving up the file to customers.

gb2embeddedinuxthread

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

isn't netplan a frontend for all the others?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

systemd-resolved is a nice cache

also nice for blocking rebinding

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

you do get a pci bus on android and nvme (on some devices, most are probably eMMC or UFS), and xhci

like, lspci/lsusb will work exactly as you expect it to. android phones are, ime, more like a pc than not. ios devices are a different thing entirely, apple kinda dropped the whole "general purpose computer" concept

android phones still put a lot of peripherals on the soc with shared memory being the primary means of communication between cores

at least iphones put their modem out on usb (or maybe pcie)?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

some do, some don't. the palm phone definitely has mostly everything on the soc for example, but you can still get an ACPI description of the hardware, list pcie devices (which the gpu is at least nominally attached to), list usb devices (mostly cameras, unless you have something else attached), check out the i2c bus, etc.

i mean, it's still linux. there's only so many ways to get a running system, and why reinvent the wheel

it isn't a some do, some don't sorta thing

i challenge you to find an android device from the last 5 years that uses an off-chip baseband

android devices either have the baseband on the soc, or they don't have a baseband at all (and in the case of no baseband at all, it's often still there, it just doesn't have the external hardware available to be useful)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the huawei has a kirin 970, which has a built in baseband

https://www.hisilicon.com/en/products/Kirin/Kirin-flagship-chips/Kirin-970

basically the only android capable arm socs that don't ship with a built in baseband are destined for set top boxes, cars or cameras, and are probably rockchip, allwinner, or freescale chips.

pinephone and librem both have separate baseband controllers, but those baseband controllers run their own copy of linux and are basically a smartphone within a smartphone, with the inner smartphone sharing memory between the dsp and a hosed up android

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

secure boot turns people into total dipshits in the same way wayland does.

the only system i've ever had any trouble with custom keys on was a lenovo laptop that depended on some signed option rom, and wiping the default keys would brick the laptop. i returned that machine and went on with my life.

every other machine i've touched since secure boot became a thing has offered the ability to install your own secure boot databases with no issue.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

Do windows laptops with arm processors allow you to disable secure boot?

yes

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

https://www.armbian.com/lenovo-x13s/

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sleep sucks on everything new across operating systems. my m2 for work randomly wakes and turns my bag into an oven. my windows gaming pc on my desk randomly wakes throughout the night. my gpd win max 2 wakes as soon as you put it to sleep, unless the power cable is plugged in, then it just doesn't wake a all

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

shackleford posted:

oh lawd apparently the "2" in "s2idle" stands for "to", as in "Suspend-To-Idle", which uses ACPI state S0. thanks linus

wait til you hear what acpi states s2ram and s2disk use

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MPEG SF is way more laid back

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

git supports sha256 now, but i'm sure nobody wil bother moving to it until it's as broken as sha1 today

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dag-onnit

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

gnome wayland is really starting to get under my skin.

any time i have high disk io, the ui will start stuttering. launching steam after updates have been collecting a while is a sure fire way to trigger it.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'm in the process of migrating off btrfs to dmraid for a huge number of nodes. on most of our nodes, we have 7 1t nme drives with each nvme drive encrypted at the hypervisor level with keys thrown away any time the vm is stopped or destroyed. since there's no persistence anyway, we trained everyone that the volume was to be strictly for throwaway data or for local staging. striped all drives with btrfs raid0 and all was happy for many months

after some unknown kernel update that i haven't pinned down yet, btrfs went to total poo poo for us. heavy io results in an io error and toasts the filesystem in a way btrfs check won't recover.

so gently caress this, gonna strip out btrfs and do a dmraid raid0 with ext4 on top

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

this should do the trick:
code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=$(mount | grep ' / ' | awk '{ print $1 }') bs=4M

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

linux cursed me to a life of misery. gently caress linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i use frigate.

it has pretty dece object detection with a tpu. i got all kinds of kitty cat videos

also integrates nicely with home assistant