Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

can you post that same image but with the stallman instead of jesus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
did my first gentoo install today, wanna try stage1 next but wtf everyone in the gentoo community seems to be terrified of explaining how that works

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

oval office AND PASTE posted:

use arch you idiot
no

what i really want is an install so loving bare that you have to type every file in /etc by hand

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i want to see a distribution where "stage one" consists of basically mkfs.ext4, and busybox trimmed of everything that is there for convenience's sake, from that point you have to download other stuff in shell extractor format via wget

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 26, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"*.pkg.tar.xz" wtf is this fancy poo poo, arch is nothing like what i'm describing stfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4kBRC2co7Y&t=160s

drat kids think running tar at the command line is as primitive as it gets, there's a whole world beyond that i tell you

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 26, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
looking over linux from scratch it's kind of what i'm after but with less building from source and more hand-configuring, i wanna recapture that thrill of installing mcc interim back in the day and earn my beard properly

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
only until the display server wars heat up

(you can try to argue that x11 is irreplaceable but then systemd migration shows that you're wrong & foolish)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 27, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
sounds like a monopoly 2 me

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

Beefy Miracle was basically a joke from our team about how dumb release names were in general. They finally stopped naming releases and I'm happy.
it was a good name though

i'd buy you the mascot as an avatar if you hadn't just bought one

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 28, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

I didn't buy one. It was given to me by Shalinor because I made a bear pun in the Kickstarter Gaming thread.
so do you want me to buy it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

that sound you hear is a thousand slashdotter heads exploding

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Init is the standard process controller.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
when someone says "that goes against the Unix philosophy" give him a lollipop

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
personally i would rather not see systemd hegemony happen but i've accepted that it will because the systemd opposition is filled with morons

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm asking because everybody seems to think that systemd doesn't follow the UNIX philosophy, but nobody has been able to tell me what that is, and why Linux follows it.
A master signifier is any signifier that a subject has invested his or her identity in — any signifier that the subject has identified with (or against) and that thus constitutes a powerful positive or negative value. Master signifiers are thus the factors that give the articulated system of signifiers — that is, knowledge, belief, language — purchase on a subject: they are what make a message meaningful. Lacan expresses this point by saying that master signifiers are what make a discourse readable.

We can recognize master signifiers by the way both senders and receivers of a message respond to them. Senders use them as the last word, the bottom line, the term that anchors, explains or justifies the claims or demands contained in the message. Receivers respond to master signifiers with a similar attitude: whereas other terms and the values and assumptions they bear may be challenged, master signifiers are simply accepted as having a value or validity that goes without saying.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it seems to be a standard argument for lean init systems to say that "the kernel requires nothing from pid 1 except to be a process collector of last resort therefore that is all it must ever do"

there's never any thought of reading it the other way round, i.e. the kernel's special treatment of init, as long as it remains in place, constitutes a grant of responsibility for any feature that must hook into last-resort process collection to work correctly, and if this leads to bloat well maybe you should point the finger at the kernel and its unique treatment of this one process

tl;dr software architecture is politics

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sniep posted:

why cant we keep what we have now then since it works?
it "works" according to the POV that the whole system exists to glorify the kernel and if that's your POV well

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Why hasn't the v8 engine been grafted onto the linus kernel yet

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cardboard Box A posted:

So everyone hates systemd but no one really knows why?
Oh they know why, these are people who fell in love with Linux as a hip hop nerd os pasted together from awk scripts until it mostly kinda works, and as that fork fedora page demonstrates the init script system was one of the hippity hoppiest parts, if that gets cleaned up where will they find an outlet for their scripting creativity :stonk:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

forkfedora posted:

[ "x$DAEMON" = xyes ]
what is this, why is someone tagging strings with x to compare them in a bash script

i suppose it might be pulled in from sendmail upstream but i'm not finding it there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's more to prevent against input like DAEMON="-n" breaking the script.
it makes vague sense now, thanks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mr Dog posted:

reminds me of that one (unconfirmed) thing that GCC does where it detects somebody trying to use the XOR swap trick and just replaces it with a SWAP instruction.

I guess they probably detect a "tmp = a; a = b; b = tmp" type sequence and replace it with a SWAP already so I could believe them adding a similar pattern-match for XOR swapping too.
Gcc has a pretty smart bitwise expression simplifier that can probably eliminate all the XOR operations, from there you just need a rule in the machine description for x, y := y, x but I couldn't find the directory that contains the MDs. So it's not a special end to end rule for XOR swaps, just two parts of the compiler doing what they do

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I don't think that systemd's rejection of scripts has anything to do with readability, it's more that scripts create subprocesses for literally everything and then don't tell the service manager which ones it needs to monitor, maybe this could have been addressed in a politically correct way by defining a protocol for startup scripts to write info back to init on stdout but none of the beards has bothered to do that in 20 years so

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

i don't understand why bash still does this
Because it is a command shell

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

smf did this, and it is/was really awesome. smf was just a process monitor. it didn't even try to replace pid 1. smf starts daemons and monitors them, that's it.

systemd does about sixty things and hijacks stuff that previously worked just fine. it is complicated and a little scary and not an opt-in item. it is forced on you.

people are mad about systemd because they didn't get to choose systemd. there was no positive case made. folks didn't migrate to it by choice. it just showed up one day, uninvited
If you're going to talk complexity you better be comparing systemd to the rc system as a whole and not just to init, and as for choice well I'd consider that a consequence of not fixing what was broken in the rc system for so long

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 2, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
rc more like wreck haha lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes that is the point

smf fixed the rc system without the need to break logging, replace init, set up a system dbus etc etc
how can you avoid replacing init in this when it has the exclusive privilege of adopting orphaned processes (e: and therefore detecting their termination 100% reliably)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 2, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Old systems never die, they just get virtualized

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Though not at amazon, I mean everything has been virtualized but they take a Douglas Adams approach to os obselescence. They announce a date on a mailing list that you're supposed to just know about and any system running an old os after that just gets shut off by ops, unless it has a special dispensation. I guess that's why they're not running the os they started with (hpux)

They handle just p much every aspect of IT policy this way, only os upgrades involve summary shutoff, otherwise you're just told when you go to scale your systems that you can't have that anymore

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why don't people consider slackware for no-frills installation anymore :(

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pram posted:

use crux
gonna

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
can't break what ain't fixen

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
crux doesn't boot in virtualbox :(

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
not everyone has the patience to dive through 20 layers of keyboard input processing to find the one that breaks poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
we got through what, 2 whole pages without any systemd talk, gj

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
are the beards actually agitating for a "forced breakup" of systemd? like, they're literally trying to apply antitrust discourse to a free project? lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
jeff k lookin kinda rough these days

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

change is intrinsically bad

you need an extraordinarily good reason to force change on users
Technicians arent users lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Avenging Dentist posted:

is there like a good summary anywhere of why systemd is the way it is? i mean i don't really give a rat's rear end what init system ends up winning but i can at least understand why some people might be a little worried about it being PID 1
read lennart's master post on the subject

my tldr understanding:
- a key goal is to manage dependencies among services
- this management requires direct, reliable information about each service's process status
- the linux kernel provides that information to pid 1 by default
- there are also ways to provide it to a different process (i.e. process grouping and subreaping) but using these merely displaces the work to be done, and all the potential hazards, without otherwise changing them

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Soricidus posted:

we must secure the existence of our platform and a future for unix sysadmins
because the philosophy of the unix operating system must not perish from the earth