Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
UGH UGH CANT USE SYSTEMD BECAUSE OF ITS HUGE ATTACK SURFACE *sources a dozen shell scripts and runs 1000 utilities programs as root*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
How does someone end up valuing present ~job security~ over, you know, becoming the sort of person whose skills would be valued elsewhere? I just can't put myself in this mindset. The last thing I want is to be the guy everyone yells at to do stuff because I've intentionally made myself the obstacle in their way

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuumGX-6uc&t=113s

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mr Dog posted:

i do have to wonder how these people manage to computer in 2014 with this sort of system setup though

like ok they're Server Administrators and stuff but surely they have computers that leave their desks from time to time?

*visits a friend irl*
"hey bob what's your wifi password"
"it's idonthavecomputeropinions1973"
*cold-boots laptop because the power management doesn't work. it boots slowly due to lovely ancient init*
*logs in, xinits then drops to an xterm, opens /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf in vi*
*furiously types out a new config stanza, manually scanning and reconfiguring the network interface*
*does all this poo poo as root*
don't post my dream linux distro

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
more like computer camping imo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

slackware is ready for you
linux should install with /bin/sh as pid 1

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Place your bets for the split within the split

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
seems their effort to fork Debian is going the same as their effort to address init's failings all these years

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I'm glad he put that sentence at the bottom of his web site saying that it lays out perfectly at any width because otherwise I might notice that the rest of the page is jumbled and useless when viewed with an iphone

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yosproject: convince lkcl and xah lee to collaborate on and submit a kernel patch

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ahmeni posted:

fyi 95% of all systemd bitching could be eliminated if the loving fucks just did the whole awesome journaled thing but still wrote logs out to their normal locations while we learn the differences
i had to google where the gently caress xorg.0.log went and thats some poo poo i havent had to do since gentoo
What amazes me is there is an angle nobody talks about. You have a boot system that frankly nobody was really complaining about, yet all of a sudden we are being told, "oh the init is horrible, we MUST have Systemd, no question," followed by voices silenced, threads erased, secret votes.

Does this sound like the normal way Linux does things? And who is it being pushed hard by? Red Hat. Okay, so where does Red Hat get THEIR finances from? Three-letter agencies: DoD, FBI, NSA, CIA. In fact, more than 85 percent of Red Hat's money comes either directly or indirectly from the U.S. government. So, my question is this: In light of Snowden and Manning, why is nobody raising a red flag at this out-of-the-blue atypical behavior coming from the top tier of the Linux distros when it's being pushed by a corporation practically in the pocket of the USA security machine?

If you don't smell something hinky when Linux distros out of the blue adopt an "our way or the highway" while burying threads and banning users - and it all comes from a company that literally cashes checks from the NSA - I'm sorry, but this smells fishier than a tuna factory in August.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo posted:

source you're quotes
My dick is 20 foot long and I gently caress supermodels every night...what you won't take my word for it? Then why in da gently caress should I take yours? Citation or GTFO, quit wasting my time with worthless bullshitting. I provided citations, where is yours? That is right, you are talking out your rear end. BTW I'm gonna LMAO if you come back with a FOSSie wordpress blog as "proof". I provided actual professional websites, so don't be bringing me no wordpress wanking.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm gonna lol so hard if anyone claims that x11 was ever "the unix way" of anything

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

fritz posted:

it totally was, i.e. a big mess that only worked some of the time, that doesn't run on lots of hardware, and which you had to edit all sorts of text files to get even partially working
it also did pretty well with the whole "provide some foundation bits and let everyone & their bros bodge together a different, equally bad end-to-end solution" aspect

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

My favorite followup to that is "well, terrible feature X isn't actually the UNIX way. It was invented by some evil people at SGI, or Sun, or Berkley, or HP, or IBM, or *fart*"

See: BSD sockets, ioctl, threading.
its true, X is a terrible feature

Malcolm XML posted:

gently caress it just do COM, it works
unironically this

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i thought of a way to steal christmas but it rather involved being at the bottom of this tiny chimney

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

We couldn’t use Sudo for a variety of reasons (lack of permissions, password, etc.), Yum was inaccessible because it requires root, and DNF wouldn’t work because of FS permission checks; however, PKcon worked flawlessly. In order to exploit this, all we need is a single vulnerability in any package in a repo. There are tons to choose from. If we type ‘PKCon’ or simply ‘man PKCon,’ we can find a list of repos in use and then pull a list of all bins and version numbers. I won’t provide one here because you don’t want everything handed to you.
fukin lmao, they literally wrote "this margin is too small to contain the exploit"

quote:

This simple logic will mostly affect home users who run on an account with wheel. This includes most people, as they need Sudo.
wrap it up folks we've arrived, most people are running lunix on the desktop

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 17, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there are headless DHTML browsers (see the whole DHTML test ecosystem) and installing an entire UI stack rather than using one is kinda dumb

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i heard u like navigation so i put a path after your path so you can display a page on your page

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
yeah give it a decade or so for the special cases to accumulate in the unit definition language until people wish they had a script lanugage again heh heh heh

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
actually i'm writting init scripts pretty regularly at work because i have to deploy services that were built here, the process is the same as it is for makefiles which is to grab a "typical" script from the internet and tweak it to do the right thing

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fedora provides a reference script that has worked for everything so far, init scripts don't need to be anywhere near as complicated as e.g. tomcat or sendmail's in practice

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the reason we use init to manage our services is because it comes installed on centos 6 and we've heard of it, unlike those dumb redundant things you mentioned

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if our target were centos 7 i'd use systemd, i'm not ideological but neither do i care for xzibit-oriented design

ps: mostly when i have to deploy an in-house service it's a jetty service that i would prefer to have built as a war and dropped into an open j2ee container but i lost that argument to the dev whose job it was to write the service, tell me about your job where everything always goes the way you want

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 18, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
p. sure SD didn't say what you assume he said

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
hey Notorious b.s i tried supervisord on those services we've been deploying with init and it's kind of good

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what features did the sysv-heads bitch about in BSD when it was taking over

e: besides csh which would have been 100% deserved

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 9, 2015

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://tools.suckless.org/ii/

Irc it (ii)
ii is a minimalist FIFO and filesystem-based IRC client. It creates an irc directory tree with server, channel and nick name directories. In every directory a FIFO in file and a normal out file is created.

The in file is used to communicate with the servers and the out files contain the server messages. For every channel and every nick name there are related in and out files created. This allows IRC communication from command line and adheres to the Unix philosophy. example

Join a channel as follows: $ echo "/j #wmii" > in and ii creates a new #wmii (channel) directory with in and out files.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"Free Software" v "Open Source" as Marxist Dialectical Materialism

How is the "Free Software" movement practicing "dialectical materialism" you may ask. Just look at how it is currently structured. You have not a single organization of "free software" proponents but you actually have TWO such organizations at apparent odds with each other, Stallman's Free Software Foundation and The Raymond-Torvalds Open Source Initiative. However BOTH of these organizations have the same goal of eventually making all software development a GPL open source monopoly. Anybody who has even studied the little of the Marxist "dialectical materialism" technique you find in an encyclopedia should be able to smell a FISH that has been laying in the sun for a WEEK in this little arrangement. Essentially the Marxist "dialectical materialism" formula the movement is working on is this.

Free Software Foundation (Thesis) vs Open Source Initiative (Antithesis) = GPL Monopoly (Synthesis)

In this "dialectical materialism" good cop-bad cop game against more traditional free software under BSD/MIT type licenses and in the Public Domain, and commercial proprietary software Eric Raymond's Open Source Initiative plays the "good cop". These are generally seen in public as the compromising crowd that say they want proprietary software to remain at the APPLICATION and ENTERTAINMENT level for some purposes and to a large part it is their lobbying proprietary software companies like Borland, SyBase and Oracle that is responsible for the few proprietary apps that Linux does have. Basically this organization is where the term "Open Source" has come from for all free source code-binary software distributions regardless of the licensing or lack thereof (Public Domain) that a given project's "community" uses. However like with the Free Software Foundation's public crusade for all GPL "free software" The Open Source Initiative's proprietary friendliness is basically smoke and mirrors. When people like Eric Raymond and Linus Torvalds say that proprietary and "open source" software are compatible what they REALLY mean is that the proprietary software is compatible until they can legally "filch 'n' copy" enough of a proprietary program's unpatented features to make a reasonable knock off of it under the GPL.

Raymond is a classic "useful idiot" in this Marxist game who apparently does not see that he is a part of the game. As an extreme Anarchist Libertarian Raymond does not believe in copyrights and patents seeing them rightly as government granted monopolies over intellectual property and not the property itself. He basically sees the GPL as simply a way to nullify copyright on software and all the derivatives and advancements that come from it therefore using it more in pursuance of Libertarian (copyright and patent elimination) rather than Marxist goals. It was with the arrival of Raymond's "Open Source Initiative" organization that a tool for selling Stallman's "Free Software" philosophy to businessmen was truly put in place.

However a close look at Eric Raymond shows that he is pretty much as flakey and "exotic" in his world view as the "Free Software" movement's more Marxist members. It turns out that even though Raymond belongs to the Objectivist Ayn Rand school of libertarianism that he is not quite an Atheist after all though he does retain the extreme anti Christianity of the Objectivist Libertarian movement. Rather Raymond practices the religion of witchcraft or Wicca that he calls "Neo Paganism" himself. Along with his Objectivist Libertarian political beliefs you can find a very extensive Q and A file about "Neo Paganism" or witchcraft at his web site.

While both give lip service support to the traditional Open licensing arrangements (BSD/MIT/PD) and the large variety of new open licensing arrangements that have come about with the popularity of Open Source Software the main preference is for the GPL in both organizations. This takes care of the Thesis and the Antithesis in a Marxist "dialectical materialism" scheme but what about the Synthesis. Is there ANY evidence to show what that might be yet. The answer is MAYBE. The Synthesis at least for now seems to be located in a third "free software" organization called "Free Developers". This organization amongst other obscenities has PIRATED the AMERICAN DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE as the basis for its own ANTI American anti business and anti Intellectual Property manifesto. The Eventual goal of Free Developers is to become a communist MONOPOLY of GPL software developers from both the "Free Software" and "Open Source" sides of the "dialectical materialism" equation. Such a monopoly would make the original IBM and Microsoft look like the rankest of amateurs in the monopoly maintenance department.

The Free Developers idea is that a MONOPOLY over Free software would eventually be able to enforce the distribution fee provision of the GPL and tax users of "free" software because even more than Microsoft is now THEY WOULD BE THE ONLY SOURCE FOR ANY SOFTWARE.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
nah, i;m on the wrong (i.e. right) side of the country

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
only one of those is a bug, and it isn't "major"

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Only a blockhead cudgels his brains on his own, or together with a group, to "find solution" or "evolve an idea" without making any investigation. It must be stressed that this cannot possibly lead to any effective solution or any good idea. In other words, he is bound to arrive at a wrong solution and a wrong idea.

When they come across difficult problems, quite a number of people simply heave a sigh without being able to solve them. They lose patience and post in the bug tracker that they "have not the ability and cannot do the job"; These are cowards' words. Just get moving on your two legs, go the rounds of every source file in the repository and "inquire into everything" as Linus did, and then you will be able to solve the problems, however little is your ability; for although your head may be empty before you go out of doors, it will be empty no longer when you return but will contain all sorts of material necessary for the solution of the problems, and that is how problems are solved. Must you go out of doors? Not necessarily. You can call a brainstorming meeting of people familiar with the situation in order to get at the source of what you call a difficult problem and come to know how it stands now, and then it will be easy to solve your difficult problem.

Whatever is implemented in Unix is right — such is still the mentality of technically backward software peasants. Strangely enough, within the free software leadership there are also people who always say in a discussion, "Show me where it's implemented in Unix." When we say that the design of a Unix component is correct, that is not just because it is "a Unix component" but because its features conform with both the objective and subjective circumstances of the application and meet its requirements. When we say Unix is correct, it is certainly not because Thompson and Ritchie were "prophets" but because their concepts have been proved correct in practice and deployment. In our acceptance of their design no such formalisation of mystical notion as that of "prophecy" ever enters our minds.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lennart's package vision looks suspiciously similar to what the GNU hurd was supposed to accomplish (returning admin power to the users), except that i believe he and his buds might be able to pull it off

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 7, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
without the 90s computer tech boom linux would have been forgotten

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
look at the usenet archives and tell me people weren't ideological about 80s unix

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
copyright is slavery, violate stallman's personal copyrights erryday

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i found it, the best linux:
http://tinycorelinux.net/
(the text-mode version obviously)

todo: fork this and remove everything from busybox that can be done with shell scripts

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
since when is pushing a button on a big fat plang tool the "manly" way to develop anything

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

And embedded.
oh right all those microcontrollers and ATMs and toasters running lunix? idts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy