Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

How did one linux before google to give you long strings of commands to blindly copy and paste into your terminal with no understanding of what they do?

remember permadeath adventure games where when you did just one thing wrong (or hadnt done one thing right 30 hours ago and didnt know) youd have to just start from the beginning again, and youd slowly develop and evolve the routine for getting from scratch to your "last known progress" state that you could practically do in your sleep, just to then try something slightly different and fail aagain and have to start all over

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

upgrade to buster

buster makes me feel good

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

well you see some day larry ellison might finally decide to get mad at me, specifically, and put my data in danger if i put it on zfs according to my slashdot law degree. therefore its perfectly rational to have it constantly in danger on btrfs

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Dont Touch ME posted:

Tryin to fix pulseaudio jacking my sound card so I can watch bilibili without having to close cmus

cmus.jar

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

Don't understand why familiarity with library card catalogues is especially helpful when the defining characteristic of computer filesystems is that items can be nested arbitrarily deeply

You might as well ask whether people have ever put sheets of paper into ringbinder files, or books on different shelves. The analogy to a computer fs is equally poor in all cases

no you see people dont understand hierarchical categorization because theyve never been in a filing room (the only known case of hierarchical categorization in nature), therefore we should dispense with any concept of categorization and just rely on offering magic terms to the search gods to access any data and hope their favor falls on us. im a big smart ux man

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

human computer interaction expert turned interior designer: lol well first of all you have dressers and closets in your room and poo poo like a quote unquote sock drawer? lmao is this the library of alexandria? lets just take those out and throw everything on the floor

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i dont even own a computer

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Buck Turgidson posted:

i am also using proton to play elden ring, although I can't play online for some reason. otherwise works nicely. i also have fsr forced on which seems to give me a few more fps

excuse me, i think you mean to say gnu/elden ring

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i want to run homebridge via docker-compose on my home server to support opening my garage door through homekit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

He's a 1099 and I am VERY close to telling my boss this guy needs to go. His first PR was awful as well.

Ticket: We have some faults that need to be persistent across reboots.
Obvious solution: Store the faults that should be persistent in the settings database, read them on boot, and go into the fault state if there are any faults in the list.
His solution: Make a separate file per fault and save them in /data/faults/, then read them in on boot, then go into the fault state if there are any faults in the directory.

How do people like this exist?
:psyduck:

faults are files. seems like he does understand the *nix way