Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Slaan posted:

Oh, yeah, I see that now. But red text plus the standard 'only white people can explore places' beliefs made me go down the other path.

I don't see how you could have possibly made that error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Typo posted:

Yes, sort of.

First of all, we should clarify what is the cause and what is the effect.

The base of knowledge doesn't exist in China for innovation on par with the west anyway, this is partially because China have something like 5-10 world class universities, and then the quality of higher education drops off a cliff after that. Which means human capital is poor in China except for the very top tier, and many of them choose to go abroad anyway. This is why China has to resort to copying western innovations in the first place.

But China deals with the need to copy foreign innovation and still foster domestic improvements by

1) The tried and true method of pooling resources into (attempting at least) creating national champions: world class technology giants where there is a real attempt at having good corporate governance and be competitive on the world stage (best examples are Huawei and ZTE).

2) The tried and true method of protectionism. By design or coincidence, banning Facebook, Twitter, and Google means your population has to use domestic products like RenRen, Weibao and Baidu instead. So that leaves institutions which are at least theoretically capable of innovating on the same field as the west.
Yes, definitely

Being real loose with the definition of "world class university" here

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

theres some weird fetishism of a financial collapse that'll, if it comes, be terrible for a lot of ppl itt. also its not really that bad i think

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

etalian posted:

The law got changed to allow Chinese pensions to invest in risky local investments like derivatives or A class stocks.

Government is hoping a flood of pension money will help revive the market.

"Derivatives" they're not buying loving rates swaps with this money lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

the Chinese markets are, more than any western market, ruled by sentiment. The "disconnect" btwn them and the real economy is t something the nyt just made up, but I can't verify the economic statistics quoted in that article

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Fojar38 posted:

This is China, there is always more and it is always worse.

Equities tend to have significant support levels that they will not drop below based on the fundamentals of the company. Though they may be a bit more opaque in this case you can reasonably expect that there are, for each individual firm, a level it will pretty much absolutely not go below, and I doubt many at all listed on the SSE will go to zero.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ppl in this thread are vastly overstating the pension thing btw

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Zohar posted:

it's $300 billion+ of pension funds.

Okay??

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Zohar posted:

What's the issue?

The effects of the eventual investment in the markets by the pension funds has been overstated in this thread I think

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Zohar posted:

Apart from the one guy who said the 'fun will begin' when they run out of pension funds people have just been saying that it's symbolic of the Chinese government's lack of options / perceived incompetence afaik? And that the main concern is the effects of the market on teh pension funds rather than the other way round. That seems right to me. Was there something else you're thinking of?

All the ppl live posting that any uptick was a result of "pension fund money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Zohar posted:

It's a bad joke.

idk considering how many ppl were asking basic finance questions before i do not necessarily believe that it was all jokes

• Locked thread