Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A lot of Detroit's manufacturing just moved to lower cost of living states too, it didn't go out of country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

Only major one I can think of would be a complete phase-out of coal power for LNG, nuclear, and renewable sources. Have there been any purges of all the coal-linked networks lately?

It's a major priority to get nuclear up and running but they're still a decade out for operational plants iirc.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I've been to China and it's not going to be the next superpower but it's not doomed either.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fojar38 posted:

People talk about how the Chinese and American economies are symbiotic when they aren't. It's more of a case of Americans farming Chinese labour and they'll move on to another farm once it craters.

Problem is you don't have any big farms left (that aren't already being used).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

Are there any concrete numbers on this? Everything I can find seems to just be anecdotal reports with large quantities of cash. I'm guessing shell companies are being used to shield the true identities but would expect Know Your Customer laws to kick in whenever that much cash moves to fund the companies.

If poo poo gets bad in China would the people with money parked in the US try to liquidate? What happens if the owner behind a shell company gets caught up in the rolling anti-corruption thing going on, does the CCP take control of the asset or does it just zombie along until the shell corp runs out of cash to pay property taxes and the place goes up at auction?

A large part of it is probably just racism. The most expensive cities in the US are such because there are large numbers of people moving there, and Canada is due to the silly games its bank is doing with cheap credit.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fojar38 posted:

Vietnam, Indonesia, Mexico, and Nigeria are all showing promise from what I understand.

Tiny fraction of the population, Possible I guess, already being used, and literally in Africa, respectively.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Imaginary GF posted:

A whole lot of SSA is productive, yet underutilized, agricultural lands. Mostly its mismanagement of a similar sort to Chinese soe's which causes issues with logistics, rather an issue existing on the production end.

Africa holds great promise for development; why outsource to China when you can get labor for much cheaper in Africa?

It's easier to bribe one official to muscle down on the rest of them then having to bribe a half dozen officials to get the same labor force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ervin K posted:

Can you connect the dots for me on this?

Replace "Chinese" with "Jew" and read most posts about them buying up houses.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

You are actively making the world dumber to save face.

Chinese Role Play?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drakhoran posted:

Apparently China is now going to construct a transcontinental railroad through the Amazon. Forgive me for being dumb here but, why?

There's currently a bottleneck for products coming from Asia; several of them have to go around South america. This is part of a trend for increasing access to the Atlantic/Europe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FrozenVent posted:

Couple of years back China was about to start building an alternative to the Panama Canal through Nicaragua. Any day now.

They're building it right now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: whoops thought I was in another thread

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think just for the sake of nonstupidity there's got to be a set of real numbers somewhere and somebody or a set of people know it and have access.

Most likely it's extremely localized. I doubt anyone above the county level knows what the real numbers are, or knows who to talk to in order to get them.

The end result of this is that no one group actually knows all of the real numbers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Franks Happy Place posted:

I often wonder if that country might simply be ungovernable at a federal level.

Federalism would probably help, to be honest (I know that's not what you meant). The problem seems to be a lot of top down pressure on local areas and then not a lot of follow up to verify that their numbers are accurate.

You're probably not going to get the latter in a developing country (we have trouble sometimes getting it here), so relieving the former would probably help things a little at least.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

I guess it'd be less of a problem if the whole country were developed but while living in a big city like I do is more or less the same as being in any city anywhere, rural China is still nightmarishly poor. And there are plenty of super poor people in the city too.

This is pretty standard for, well any nation but especially developing nations.

The only really terrible part is that China's (sort of) artificially limiting migration to urban areas via the hukou, although letting hundreds of millions of people migrate also has its downsides (see: India). The good news is that they are urbanizing at a decent pace.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

China's difference is extreme though. A place like Shanghai is basically like any wealthy first world city but rural Gansu is like the Middle Ages. There are people who haven't even heard of electricity.

Remember that it took a New Deal program for much of the South to get electricity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VideoTapir posted:

Is this hyperbole or is it literally true?

There's a Facebook page called Humans of New York that posts pictures of people in NYC and they've been doing this event called "Humans of Pakistan", which as you can guess is pictures of people in Pakistan. Usually not city dwellers either, but lots of rural folk out in the mountains.

A lot of them have stories like seeing an airplane fly by and literally not know what it is, or not even picturing what the world was like outside of their mountain valley. So yeah, I could see it be possible for China.

e: here's the post I was thinking of specifically

quote:

"There were no paved roads here when I was a boy. We had to walk for 3 days to get to places that only take 2 hours now. There was never any money for school. We had no wealth or property. Beginning at six years old, I cleaned dishes at a restaurant until 9 pm. Then I would go to sleep and start again. All my money went to my parents. I'd hear stories about cities and airplanes, but they seemed like fairy tales. I'd dream of visiting these places, but before I could get too far, I'd be hungry again. So I grew up thinking that the entire world was like our valley. I thought all children lived like me. Then one day when I turned 16, I had the opportunity to visit to the city of Gilgit. I couldn't believe it. I saw a boy eating at a restaurant with his father. He was my age. He was wearing a school uniform. I broke down in tears."

(Hunza Valley, Pakistan)

computer parts fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 22, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Another chemical plant just exploded in Zibo, Shandong. Reportedly near a residential area, though no casualties reported yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrNemo posted:

On a much more pop-psychology personal belief note, I think Britain seems to be a bit more susceptible to Chinese talk over unfair treaties and a Century of Humiliation because the UK was leading the way on much of that. So a dose of post Imperial guilt and a fear that the Chinese might actually mean it and be genuinely upset when it comes to Britain.

And it's not like the US is going to care unless the next 50 years literally become the Fallout universe (pre-War).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

It's not like the US industrialized by being a gigantic export factory selling things to a much larger, wealthier country, at least not past the very initial stages

Yeah they did, they just called that country "Europe".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

That's why I said 'beyond the initial stages' The US economy was larger than any European economy by the post Civil War era

That's why I didn't specify a specific European economy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

You're going to have to come up with some kind of evidence beyond a giant reified :smug: if you're saying the US was ever as dependent on exports as China is? Here's a random website with historical data for American exports as a percentage of GDP

http://www.econdataus.com/tradeall.html

So it peaks in 1920 at 10% probably related to WW1, and between 1860 and 1960 doesn't stray much above 5%. Meanwhile the World Bank says China is at 25% currently and peaked at 35% before 2008

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS

Net exports have been negative for the past 5 years, per your link.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

What is the reasoning behind countries buying US debt? Like, I can understand businesses doing it. Financial institutions being required to have X% of their funds in what is considered a safe investment and all that, but with Countries that doesn't make sense.

First, remember that buying US debt is literally buying a Treasury Bond. You're buying something from the government that says "we'll pay you face value + some interest in the next few years".

Since the US always pays its debts, you can buy a bunch of those and if your economy goes to poo poo then you still have something worth trading for.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Winner is Jew posted:

the student loan one can't really burst unless everyone under 30 with student loans commits suicide since that's the only way they can get out of it.

And it's more or less completely owned by the Federal Government.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Butcher posted:

Uhhh because Mad Max was loving awesome. :colbert:

I either spend the next 30+ years working in an office and then (maybe? eventually?) retire when my mind and body are failing, or I get to dress up in a loincloth and pieces of old tires with spikes in them and blow myself up while taking out an enemy car and then ride eternal in Valhalla.

If you live in Oakland, you can do both.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cheesetriangles posted:

There was actually 3 ships made in that class and the third one never sank so please invest in China.

One of them was torpedoed too so it wasn't really their fault.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mange Mite posted:

I know it's not actually going to happen, but for real a broken up China divided along racial and cultural lines would be a net good for the Chinese and the world.

So 85% China as it stands now, and then Tibet as well?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Once you tack on East Turkestan and whatever parts of Southern Mongolia that still have Mongols living in it, you end up with a pretty huge chunk of the country... Especially keeping in mind that the TAR ≠ Tibet.

Inner Mongolia is 80% Han. It's not at all like Tibet.

It's like saying you should give back the parts of Russia that aren't full of Russians back to the Mongolians.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 25, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That's why I said the parts that still contain Mongols- much of that 80% Chinese majority is concentrated in a number of large cities, which obviously wouldn't get retroceded to Mongolia, but there are still a few nomadic areas with Mongol populations. Likewise, it probably wouldn't make sense to put Xining in an independent Tibet, but once you get outside the city things get pretty Tibetan-y again pretty quickly.

Most of the Mongols live in the cities.

quote:

Edit: and if the parts of Russia that are filled with ethnic or cultural Mongols wanted to return to Mongolia, I don't see a problem there either.

They're not, they're even more heavily Russian.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Splitting off the various non-Mandarin Han subgroups isn't really feasible in part because those groups have basically always been politically united for the last 2000 years, but I don't see how you can say Xinjiang and Tibet shouldn't be split with a straight face. That's not Russia and Tatarstan or Siberia, that's Russia and Estonia or Georgia or Tajikstan

Water rights is a pretty good reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

Well obviously the CCP isn't going to let their water supply go independent, but don't pretend there's any justification for it other than naked sociopathic imperialism

I mean, I don't think any country would let that happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Seriously. Tibet is one of the easiest cases you can find for the ideal of self-determination, it's so bizarre to see someone say 'water rights' as if that meaningfully trumps a peoples right to self-rule.

In practice, it does. It doesn't matter if China is ruled by the CCP or the Nationalists or a carbon copy of the US (or a European nation of your choice), they'd all keep Tibet.

The Basques are actually a better ideal of self-determination because they don't have strategic importance.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If that's how you're looking at it, then you don't even need to say anything about water rights, just say 'because whoever rules Beijing wills it.'

But that's not why. Again, there's a reason why I'm not using water rights to defend holding onto Xinjiang.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arglebargle III posted:

So at this rate how many days until 2000?

Assuming it started at 2900 (and I did my math right) and it drops 10% every day, about 4 days or so.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

And gold

I imagine literally everything in China is either grey, red or gold

Pretty close from my experiences there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fojar38 posted:

At least India is a non-hostile democracy so it's actually got a better chance in the long term

If you paid any attention to India you'll know why this is naive.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StandardVC10 posted:

Pollution, corruption, urban blight, highly uneven technological development. You know, the usual stuff.

Plus an impending water crisis and they're right next to the least stable nuclear power (which also hates them).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ardennes posted:

That said, I fully expect to hear more about "India's peaceful rise" in the future, if China isn't going to cut it, they are going to have to find someone else especially since India in the last year had pretty high growth. That said, their latest surge is because of considerable devaluation of the Rupee.

I could see a Brazil narrative being a thing, especially going into the Olympics.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OwlBot 2000 posted:

India will never be a superpower, it is too fragmented and internally hostile. Besides, the path of development they're taking is to create some tech jobs here and there, letting a small portion of the population jump to the level of service economy while they don't even have basic infrastructure like running water in much of the country.

To emphasize:

e: Here's a better map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

Oh wow, you mean 4chan might not have lied about india having designated making GBS threads streets?

It's more like a making GBS threads field.

Remember, only like 30% of India's population is considered urbanized (this is opposed to ~50% in China).

• Locked thread