Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mange Mite posted:

being urbanized doesnt seem to be proof against street making GBS threads, if china is any example

My point is that they don't usually have a street to poo poo in. Maybe a country road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Good think despite the GOP talking point about being in debt to the chinese other countries like Japan hold more treasuries.

The Chinese are the boogeymen of this decade, which is why you have statements like "California using 75% of its water for agriculture is bad because we're selling the crops to the Chinese".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

From a 65 year perspective it looks great, narrow the chart to the last 5 years, eh.

Yeah, it's not like there was a major crisis about 5-6 years ago or anything.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zarin posted:

To bring this back to China, a lot of the safety videos I've seen that (appear to be) from China seem like they are still in the "throw more people at it" stage of industrialization. Is this true, or is automation catching on very heavily there as well?

China's still heavily urbanizing, and that means that lots of people (hundreds of millions in this case) are moving to the cities, which produces surplus population and decreased wages. There's no reason to automate right now, at least in urban areas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fojar38 posted:

I'm betting that these explosions happen all the time but this is the first time the Western media is covering them as part of their broader "Holy poo poo China is melting" story.

There's enough cellphones in China to refute that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That deal for the canal also included a railway parallel to it and two airports, one at either end of the canal. Those would still be under Chinese control even if the canal was never finished.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slaan posted:

So did they just not see what the One Child Policy would do to the economy, especially for retirees, and not plan around it? Especially when the West was starting to go through the same thing when the policy was implemented, it should have been obvious.

Oh they did, which is why it wasn't really enforced unless you were a city dweller (because they typically got more social services).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Murgos posted:

For pretty much all of recorded history China has had an enormous population, only rarely has their economy been really outstanding.

England is a small island with a relatively small population and yet for >200 years they had one of the wealthiest economies in the world.

I don't think +population = economic success.

Great Britain actually had a fairly large and growing population when it mattered, especially compared to other parts of Europe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

galagazombie posted:

This always annoyed me. If all the different "Dynasties" (which in my opinion is an inaccurate term, I would call them "states" or "empires") which could have radically different religions, territories, ideologies, governments, cultures, or even be foreigners are a single continuous civilization then modern Italy is the same civilization as the Roman Republic, Modern Egypt has been a continuous civilization since the Pharaohs and Ethiopia can go back to Lucy the Australopithecine.

The rulers changed quite a bit but the areas where most people lived were ruled under a single state for a long period of time. It might not have been the same state, but it's a lot longer than, say, India.

Like yes there are significant periods where there are lots of little kingdoms, but a lot of it is the same people ruled under A State of some kind.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baka-nin posted:

The argument isn't that they weren't ruled by a state, but that there wasn't a continuous and largely homogenous culture and government for all that time.

The idea of a continuous government doesn't really exist in the West before the Thirty Years War* so I don't know how accurate your assertion actually is.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westphalian_sovereignty

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baka-nin posted:

?????? Okay I knew that and that's not related to what I've said, so that has no relevance to my assertion one way or another.

Actually it does. You explicitly said Chinese people believed that the government has been the same for the past 5000 years. Any idiot can tell you that's not true.

Gorau posted:

This does leave the problem then that other states could make similar claims, and now your fighting about whether the eastern Roman Empire was a direct descendant of the Roman Empire right to its dissolution in the 15th century and whether or not the holy roman emperor or the Russian tsar could claim to be legal inheritors of the imperial mantel and so forth.

And this actually happened in Europe basically up until the Ottomans settled the issue (and even then, the Ottomans claimed to be the true successors of the Roman Empire and the Caliphate until 1920).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McGavin posted:

Yeah, because entering the same 4-6 numbers to verify every transaction is definitely more secure than an encrypted one-time code.

The danger is if the card gets stolen, not if the number gets intercepted midway or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McGavin posted:

That's what that spending limit and zero liability coverage prevent, but with the lack of consumer protection in the US I can see why you would be wary.

We already have zero liability coverage. The issue is not a legal one, it's a logistics one.

I don't want to go through the headache of getting a new credit card even though it's only a million purchases under $25 or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

Here's a lovely payment method from 20 years ago.

Precursor I guess, to chip cards. They rolled them out for the '96 Olympic Games. Gave out readers for merchants to use in the city.

Nobody used them. It was back when they'd just take your balance if you didn't use the card within a year, so there wasn't much demand except as a collector's item. At least Traveller's Cheques had loss protection.

They had those in China for their pay phones. I still have my card somewhere, since I was too lazy to buy a SIM for my card.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krispy Kareem posted:

Like, in China during the Olympics or just like all the time?

Because I like it imagine VISA spending every Olympics trying to push a lovely payment system on the host city in some vain decades long attempt to make VISA CASH a thing.

This was in 2015, so all the time. Though the only place I used them a lot was the airport, so it might've been just a legacy system there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tekz posted:

I know you're the type that has to jump on anything remotely affiliated with China but wechat is actually pretty good. I think facebook messenger is moving to catch up with them feature wise.

There were a lot of features there that only got added to other (Western) messaging clients later, like short audio recordings or stickers.

• Locked thread