Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

The Chinese had the Russians by the balls and likely knew it, hence the apparent twisting of said balls.

The price is slightly higher than what China pays for -stan gas but lower than what Russia receives from Europe. Russia was trying to push this deal through as fast as possible because the Kremlin was probably getting a bit nervous about the future relationship with the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, it is a compromise, but I don't know if I would call it China twisting "Russia's" balls. The number I heard is around $350 per TCM which is still profitable for the Russians. For clarification, Russia was selling Ukraine gas as around $286 per TCM (which they had to buy).

El Mundo is reporting $359/TCM (263 euros at today's conversion rate) via Bloomberg's calculations, compared to the $379/TCM that Europe pays to Moscow

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
How much do these provincial politicians and bureaucrats generally get paid? I know throughout modern history their wages were basically unlivable.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

So is China just trying to cover a financial crisis or is this part of the whole 'Prosecute people who made money on China's financial crisis?'

Basically.

The whole world is about to enter a recession, China is going to hit some pretty heavy turbulence, and Xi/Li are puffing out their chests.

Now zerohedge would say this is the precursor to total global financial collapse but I think it's just another lovely trough in the cycle...

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

The UK is actually unironically expecting China to grow exponentially forever.

Compared to the UK, it will

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
Chang is hugely biased though. And always wrong.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

How are u posted:

Is China hosed? It seems like China is hosed.

You think the second largest economy in the world is hosed because their tiny stock market has hit a rough patch?

Bunch of Gordon Changs in here. I can't imagine what it must be like flying with you guys. Every bit of turbulence and "gently caress we're dead!".

blueyedevil fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 6, 2016

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Fojar38 posted:

China is too big to fail

Were you all the same people predicting the collapse of the US economy in '07?

Thinking the Chinese economy will slow down to Brazil levels shows a bit of ignorance, no? China's economy will slow down, then restart (albeit at not nearly the incredibly pace of the Jiang/Hu years. Further down the road, it will experience a down turn and then the economy will restart again.

Why does it seem like so many people who have studied China, its economy, and its culture have this fantastical hatred towards it?

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Predicting economic trouble for china or pointing out problems isn't "hating". Are hurt feelings afoot in this thread?

Oh c'mon. I'm an eternal optimist and even I agree that China is in for some rough turbulence, economically, socially, and politically. And no, it's not the rosiest of pictures right now. But the constant, repetitive, and uncreative circle jerk that "China is hosed", the country is doomed, the economy will fail etc etc is hyperbole. Maybe the hyperbole and fantasy is sarcastic and simply going over my head? Help me out here.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
How long will it take for the market to descend to 2000? Think it will find some equilibrium down where its actual real value lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
Interesting that the second the CCP gets out of their own way, the markets stabilize and a modicum of confidence is restored. This is like watching a kid play his first videogame run through with the manual in hand, going "oh poo poo, I didn't know you could do that-- lemme try it".

• Locked thread