Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control

Remora posted:

This post did not get any love and that is wrong. DJFFNY was amazing and was directly responsible for my discovering MMA. Still can't loving believe that I can't play it on the 360.

Seriously if you haven't played Def Jam Fight for NY you really need to. It's loving awesome as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Xguard86 posted:

My go-to on the 1st or 2nd UFC game (I forget) was to play as Hendo and clinch/slam/stand my opponent into a living death and then throwing BRH's in the 3rd or 5th when they were too depleted to survive. I got so many hateful messages, it was incredible. The clinch game was kind of limited since once you where clinched, which was pretty simple to get, you had to either stall by holding away and then risk eating devestating clinch strikes or try to make the 1/4 guess of which way the throw would go.

If only Hendo had done this to Vitor :smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Slightly off topic but Hendo's back has been hosed up for years, so anything other than a BRH and breathing profusely through his mouth has been impossible for Hendo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lloyd Boner posted:

If only Hendo had done this to Vitor :smith:

I'm sorry, but Air Hendo was a fully acceptable ending to that fight.
It was bizarre.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Incendiary Pig posted:

Seriously if you haven't played Def Jam Fight for NY you really need to. It's loving awesome as hell.

Honestly it is still probably my favourite fighting game and it holds up well today. The sequel for 360 and ps3 was total poo poo though :(

If they remade fight for NY with modern graphics and physics I would be very happy.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Remora posted:

This post did not get any love and that is wrong. DJFFNY was amazing and was directly responsible for my discovering MMA. Still can't loving believe that I can't play it on the 360.

More games need to let you beat the poo poo out of Omar Epps with Danny Trejo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Is there any way to get Def Jam FFNY on a current-gen system? I would happily never play WWE2K14 again if that were possible.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is there any way to get Def Jam FFNY on a current-gen system? I would happily never play WWE2K14 again if that were possible.

Nope. If by current-gen you mean 360/PS3, the 360 isn't backwards-compatible and you can only play it on the PS3 if you have the PS2 disc and a first-gen console; if by current-gen you mean XBox One/PS4 they ain't got nothin' yet.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

CarlCX posted:

Nope. If by current-gen you mean 360/PS3, the 360 isn't backwards-compatible and you can only play it on the PS3 if you have the PS2 disc and a first-gen console; if by current-gen you mean XBox One/PS4 they ain't got nothin' yet.

I have a Xbox One (it was a gift from a generous parent) and have to confess that outside of Battlefield 4 there hasn't been poo poo offered on it yet. Being almost 30 and getting one as a gift more had to do with my father knowing the system is my primary means of entertainment because gently caress cable.

This is my roundabout way of saying I want this God damned game now because spamming headkicks and flailing around is what I live for.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If you're into metal gear and paying 30 dollars for up-jumped demos, Ground Zeroes just came out and it's pretty sweet. I only have the 360 version but it's like a fun mix of Far Cry and Metal Gear.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you like CoD, Call of Titanfall is probably ok.
The same is basically true for the PS4, it doesn't have Titanfall either though.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though because Titanfall is bad.

e: ^^^ The PS4 version of GZ is crazy good looking and enjoyable to play. The Xbone version is probably really good too, but the textures and stuff are noticeably muddier on that console. It's definitely just an up-jumped demo though so get it when it's $10 or so bucks if you don't like Metal Gear.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 20, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I ain't trying to backseat mod but ya'll should keep this thread to discussing MMA video games and the upcoming UFC one.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

don't read threads, don't play games?!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Snakes CQC is somewhat MMA based. There's a cutscene where he puts some kind of weird rear end arm-o-plata on a child to shut him up and when you choke out guards in the sitting position he does some sort of RNC while straight arm-barring them with one hand or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You could also get guards in a back mounted pseudo rear naked in the 4th game.

It really bugs me in games though when they have choke-holds and such and they just clearly wouldn't work in any sort of real scenario. I mean like when you see people getting hover hugged around the neck. It's not like it's hard find out what a real choke-hold looks like, or get a MMA guy in to mo-cap a couple for you. I think most MMA guys, especially the likes of MMDJ would love a couple of extra bucks in their pocket while they choke out computer nerds and basically guarantee free copies of cool games early.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Remora posted:

And it's sequel, Icon should be considered a crime against humanity.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I only ever played Def Jam Vendetta which was one of those games that came out of left field and became a favorite. Guess it's time to break out the PS2!

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Incendiary Pig posted:

It is my favourite wrestling game, ever. Everything about it is so dumb and awesome.

Slamming a dude's head in an Escalade door while Busta Rhymes tries to jump you in the parkade.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I spent too much time playing the Undisputed games online, just trying to get them down and lay and pray on em with the most wrestly guy in that division, and after about 8 seconds of staying heavy, tiny hammerfists, and breathing the whole time just like Serra wanted, people would just get loving FURIOUS on voice chat. This would usually result in them spamming moves to try and get up, which made it easy to ride them into full mount, and then I would just unload on them. This worked for most skill levels, barring the elite guys. I was no good at the game online playing with any other style.

I think my three keys were:
*DEVASTATING GROUND AND POUND
*FINISHES THE FIGHT
*HEART

I am interested in EA UFC but the new systems are too expensive with too little content at this point for me. Looking at all of the THQuality in my collection though means that it'll probably be the game I buy with the PS4 system whenever it falls into the $250-$300 range.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I found this link that nicely shows all the modeled fighters in the roster thus far. Werdum and Mousasi were added tonight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111258951@N02/

I'd like to know if there were problems getting some guys scanned or if there was an A-team/B-team when it came to textures & modelling, cause some dudes like Mousasi & Condit look weird to me while other guys like Cain Velasquez could actually be Cain Velasquez inside the video game.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Snakes CQC is somewhat MMA based. There's a cutscene where he puts some kind of weird rear end arm-o-plata on a child to shut him up and when you choke out guards in the sitting position he does some sort of RNC while straight arm-barring them with one hand or something.

He puts Chico in an ezekial choke.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Bubba Smith posted:

I found this link that nicely shows all the modeled fighters in the roster thus far. Werdum and Mousasi were added tonight:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/111258951@N02/

I'd like to know if there were problems getting some guys scanned or if there was an A-team/B-team when it came to textures & modelling, cause some dudes like Mousasi & Condit look weird to me while other guys like Cain Velasquez could actually be Cain Velasquez inside the video game.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Mousasi doesn't look right at all.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Totally thought Robbie was BJ at first glance, ymmv

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

It is understandable that they couldnt capture Condits handsomeness with todays technology

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some of the fighters may look better without facial expressions. The Condit model doesn't look at all like him like that, but probably does neutral.

They all look glass eyed though.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

GSP looks like he has Down's. I can't believe they hosed him up, of all people.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Agreed, that's a dead ringer for Cain.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

While they all have glassy yet enlightened Jesus eyes, some of the models are pretty good.

Some blow a bag of penises. (Mousasi, Condit.)

Incendiary Pig
Nov 3, 2006

Totally out of control
I think the Robbie Lawler one looks like poo poo too.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Not enough dumb tattoos.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Bubba Smith posted:

Likely there were multiple outsourced graphics and modeling teams used. After EA MMA flopped the work went to Vancouver (where FIFA is made), so the motion capture data was sent to the outsourced team from Vietnam or where ever and they built the models and skins. My guess is that Cain and other belt holders as of a year or so ago were sent to one company and the filler were sent to another company (likely cheaper, and the cut was determined based on cost and projected usage rate for a given fighter).

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

coconono posted:

Not enough dumb tattoos.

The artist who did the big ol' tattoo on Condit's abdomen actually sued THQ (and is now one of their bankruptcy creditors) for $4+ million for using it in UFC 3 without paying him royalties, so EA's just plain not going to put it in so they don't get involved in that.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CarlCX posted:

The artist who did the big ol' tattoo on Condit's abdomen actually sued THQ (and is now one of their bankruptcy creditors) for $4+ million for using it in UFC 3 without paying him royalties

If he's gonna go full retard with it why not sue UFC directly because his artwork is being seen on PPV and on Fightpass as well?

What a dummy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

KidDynamite posted:

He puts Chico in an ezekial choke.

Thank ye kindly. I should probably refrain from Eddie-Bravoing up every choke I see.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

If he's gonna go full retard with it why not sue UFC directly because his artwork is being seen on PPV and on Fightpass as well?

What a dummy.

laws are different when you're just recording a guy on a camera who ahs that tattoo, and then creating a CG version of him appropriating said tattoo artwork.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Can't wait for when the UFC forces fighters to use in-house tattoo artists to avoid IP/royalties claims on their bad kim jong il tats

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Most of the fighters don't look that bad but there are a couple in there that it really does look like the scan got messed up in the process or something.

Edit: The eyes are creepy.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 21, 2014

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Whoever designed the Hendricks model must have been really drunk and accidentally pushed the slider marked, "Hobo" to 250%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

He kinda does look like a hobo though.

• Locked thread