Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Here's a little Braids action from this afternoon: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/big-old-trashy-noise-braids

Modulation is courtesy of Peaks, filter is the SSF/WMD Pole-Zero, sequence comes from the Meta Sequencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Why is the Nord Lead 1 SO GOOD? It's really absurd how well I'm getting along with this thing especially considering I had the Lead 2X for about a week and thought it was just alright.

Here's some quick snippets I recorded on my first day with the NL1: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/nord-lead-1-doodles

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone have any good suggestions? Preferably something stand-up since I really hate sitting down.

Build a desk? It's not too difficult assuming you have access to wood and nails and a saw and a hammer

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm really sad that Muffs is down.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Speaking from experience, definitely don't buy a Nord thinking it'll have a good keyboard. For inexpensive MIDI controllers the only brand that's impressed me (not that it was awesome, just better than expected) were Alesis controllers. I've not used them but Roland's MIDI keyboards seem like they'd be good too

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I might be selling my Microbrute soon as well. Still need to have that heart to heart session where I play with it for a few hours and determine if I'll be sad if I don't have it anymore. Great sounding and lots of features, bought it mostly to use with my modular but I don't interface them as much as I should.

Radiapathy posted:

What's a good 61-key synth-as-controller? Could be an older model. I just want good feeling keys, at least 4 freely mappable buttons, and no mandatory software that sucks.

I was asking myself the same question about a year or so ago since a 61 key instrument takes up a lot of space and it'd be better to have a big synth that doubles as a keyboard controller rather than just a keyboard controller. I did a lot of research on the subject and played around with a few different options but hands down I'd recommend a Roland Alpha Juno 2.

61 keys with the best action of any modernish synth I've played plus a classic synth engine built right into it, aftertouch, velocity, not to mention a bender/mod stick as well as chord memory function (and it's quick and easy to change MIDI channels on the fly. If I could add a feature it would probably be a hold key but for my needs it's the best studio investment I've made in a long time.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 26, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
i miss my jx3p cum kiwi3p. it's still in the shop getting a noisey chorus issue fixed

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I think I pay $50 an hour for labor but the guy who's working on it is the same one who installed the mod in the first place so it might be a different story price wise. He's still not even sure what the cause of the chorus issue is (I'm also getting low volume on the audio outputs) but I put him in touch with the guy from Kiwitechnics and hopefully they can work it out. The tech is some guy who works out of the top floor of an auto garage and just happened to be around the corner from me. He does good work and mostly repairs amps, guitars, and sound equipment but his shop is littered with keyboards and MPCs and other assorted equipment, it's a little crazy.

The noisy chorus is one of my favorite things about the JX3p and I was disappointed when I got my Kiwi3p back and had the issue (chorus boosts the volume way too much and I get a lot of distortion). When I sent Kiwitechnics a few sound demos they agreed that something abnormal was happening so we'll see what happens. The chrous mod is an optional part of the whole upgrade anyway so maybe removing it will be the ultimate fix.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
We don't get Overbridge, but someone made a program called OctaEdit: http://octaedit.com/features/

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Sizone posted:

So today I got an old Windows Vista machine off craigslist. Why, you ask? So that I can read and write disks in the bizarre proprietary GEM S2R format. I was successful, but now I'm faced with two problems. First, I need to find something like isobuster to explorer and alter the contents of the .img file the disk reader program saves to the pc (and figure out where in the mess the tuning files are). Secondly, and probably more importantly, I need to figure out why I do this kind of poo poo to myself and figure out some way to stop doing this to myself. Mastery of old hardware for its own sake, for the sake of fanciness, used to be a lot more fun. The shitness of the ASR-X has ruined it for me though. I no longer get pleasure in doing arcane studies and rituals in order to wrangle synths.

I....I think I'm about ready to do everything using Reaktor and maybe my iPad.

Why not run a virtual machine?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Would anyone like a cheap TB-3? :)

:allears:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Ladik makes a 4hp filter bank too but it's fixed frequencies as well

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Declaring independence from my bank account this holiday weekend

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
One in the same, yes. The PSU plugs into one of the 1U tiles for power. I actually plan to sell off the case soon since I'm building a 12U rack into an old briefcase I found at the thrift store. Still though the Synthrotek case is a stellar option for a perfectly portable modular system. This is probably the last system I'll rack into this particular case however :saddowns:.

Decided to rack this particular configuration up last night at 2am to bring with me to a jam session tonight with a few friends.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 3, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've got my work cut out for me but it should be a fun project. Not going to ditch the Synthrotek case until the new one is complete, i don't know if briefcase is the right word for this thing either but you get the idea. I'll be able to get 12U at 86HP with a little extra room to store power bricks and patch cables

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

Why is the industry so damned determined on forcing reduced-size keys on the market? Is it purely a cost issue? I grew up playing regular sized keys and I just can't get used to anything smaller.

I think all these big brands are seeing the relative success of small portable (and cheap) pieces of kit like the Volcas, Micro/Minibrute, ARIA, Monotribe, Mini Kaosspads, etc and probably get the best return on investment (cheap) on synths like that, at least at the consumer or hobbyist level of buyer. They can make nice gifts for a birthday (because they're cheap) or a starter piece of kit for someone who's just getting into making music. And maybe at a musician level they're seeing people buy these little boxes as a (cheap) supplement to a live performance.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I wish I had access to tools

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
turn off analog drift on all the oscillators. some Swedish dummies decided to default it to on. it isn't a cure all but it helps make the a4 sound less like it's broken

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

sofullofhate posted:

Here's a thing I did. It is 100% modular with no external effects - EQ, compression and panning only in the DAW.

I am pretty damned happy with it.

woah, dang!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
lookatthesefuckinghipsters.jpg

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
there's a little more to it than that. i really wanted to go last year:

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Roland please re-release your grooveboxes, that is all

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

No no no. The rompler shits, MC-303 thru MC-909. Gimme 1 lovely ARIA box instead of 4 lovely ARIA boxes I can make a complete(ly) lovely track with.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Fors Yard posted:

I hate to be that guy, but it's Aira as in the "era" they are trying to recapture.

Super excited to see Autechre next week in Seattle. I just saw they have a track on an old EP called Yeesland and Yees Land is the stage after Fors Yard in Space Harrier 2... just one of those little discoveries that no one else will give a poo poo about but where else am I gonna say it?

\/\/\/ poo poo never mind about the second part then!

Aria is an opera term, it's a piece of music written for a vocal solo. Sometimes when words sound like other words they don't exactly mean the same things....

I will also be seeing Autechre though in Philly! I think it's just going to be a DJ set but might be just as fun as seeing them do their own material. I imagine it's going to be along the lines of the 4 hour DJ set they just did for Dekmantel: https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/dekmantelpodcastautechre

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Fors Yard posted:

Spelled, even!

Hope your Autechre gig is live and not just a DJ set. Though I hear live isn't really performing existing material and just improvisational. Either way I doubt they disappoint.

Richard Devine is playing Wednesday here too which I'm also excited for. The modular patches he posts on facebook are always amazing and hearing some of that live will be a great experience.

Hahah you know what? This thread is the first time I'm realizing it's actually spelled AIRA and not ARIA. I blame acute undiagnosed dyslexia.

EDIT: what a loving stupid name, AIRA.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Not to poo poo up the thread too much but I have some bits for sale which I'll be puting on eBay soon, unless some fine folks here would like to take them off my hands:

Tip Top Trigger Riot
Pittsburgh Modular Time Runner
Pittsburgh LPG Lo Pass Gate/VCA/Filter
Intellijel Mutamix
Make Noise MMG Grayscale PANEL

Arturia Microbrute
Future Retro Orb Sequencer
Moog MIDI Murf MF-105M
Korg SQ-1 Sequencer
FMR Really Nice Compressor
SKB i-Series waterproof case

Also got a custom 13U 84HP eurorack case if anyone is interested!

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

cubicle gangster posted:

I also have a pressure points for sale - for however long it takes me to get from 20 to 100 posts to put on muffwiggler. at my current rate i've got a year before I can sell anything on there.

If yours had a brains to go with it i might consider picking this up, I just purchased a PP from Muffs

A Winner is Jew posted:

How soon are you looking to move this and at what price?

I'm still debating if I truly want to give this up but I think $380 shipped would be the price.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 6, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Artisanally hand-crafted, cruelty-free, ethically sourced, repurposed aluminum Eurorack modular cases; for the modern sophsticated robotfart musician on the go:

This was my first attempt at doing a DIY case out of a Halliburton. It was very very tricky mounting the rails correctly and making sure everything lined up properly but I'm pretty happy with the results! 6U at 110HP (111HP technically), 108HP on the top to accommodate the hinge. I'm waiting on delivery one of the new Synthrotek PWR modules which I plan to use on this baby. The gap towards the top of the case is wide enough to store a power brick and a bunch of cables. The case can be closed while patched (more important than you might realize) and the foam padding thingy in the top is removable.

I've also got another one of these cases in WHITE (it looks like a Stormtrooper) which I plan to start working on next. Also planning on making a version that can do modules in the lid and body but I need to find the right dimensions of a case first.

There was a guy I worked with who also does these custom and I ended up ordering one off of him but his communication was really bad and the final product left a lot to be desired (bad paint job, slanted rails, I was not happy). I knew I could do a better job and once I found a place with the right tools I got to work. If there is interest I *might* consider doing these on order and semi to-spec, PM me for more details.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 13, 2015

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

toadee posted:

So, if anyone has a Nord Modular G1, some dude just realized the headphone output is DC coupled.

So, your Nord Modular G1 is a totally amazingly capable CV/Gate sequencer

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-60892.html

I thought you needed to do something to the capacitors around the headphone jack to make this happen on the G1? Maybe I'm thinking of the G2..

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
You're not crazy, the dude is just a massive idiot (or a trolling genius who wrote such a poo poo piece of writing to inspire us all to bitch)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Phonogene is nice to play around with, I didn't really get along with it too well though. If you're looking for a straight up sample mangler then the Phonogene can do some of that but it seems the real idea behind the Phonogene is manipulating the playback speed and segment of your recording. I'm sure I didn't get as deep into using the module as it can go, I was newer to Euro at the time, but it seemed a little more featureful than I needed in a sampler module.

That being said I have a Bastl GrandPa kit and Spa expander kit (Grandpa Spa!) on the way which I'm hoping to build and play with soon. Seems much more straightforward than the Phonogene, though I'm curious how much more powerful the Spa will make the whole package.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I'm beginning to think these are the perfect Eurorack cases. Here's my second creation, unironically a Stormtrooper skiff:

Can be closed while patched, storage for power supply and cables, slim and sturdy, and this one seems to be a rare color on the Halliburton cases. No power set up yet on this one but I think I'm going to put this one up one eBay for sale. If anyone is interested in purchasing, contact me first.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

4K ultrabong rip posted:

How can I tighten up my Ableton timing? I don't know how I can make my beats sound more like they were made on real drum machines.

Read up on Ableton warp modes

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yes, this case containing $7,000 worth of electronics is something I intend to detonate...

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
The Monomachine is a fantastic box, you will definitely get frustrated with it and think it was a bad purchase because it doesn't seem to do that much but in reality it can do way more than you initially thought and you'll finally attain enlightenment when you realize it does some very special things almost no other synthesizer can.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
That new Intellijel eurorack case looks insane with all the potential expandability. Only thing keeping me from pressing the buy button (besides it not being for sale yet) is that I want to know what the deal with the 1U tiles is. What functions are there? Audio out and MIDI/USB are definitely there, also some attenuators, but it also looks like there's a logic section and some other crap. Close ups desired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I just bought a Metropolis. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner....

It's the best, I've been using a Rene for the longest time and I suppose they are both incredibly similar in functions and scope (and size), but the Rene is definitely a little more esoteric to command. I might keep both in the meanwhile because I love sequencing, but the Metropolis has won me over. It actually won me over when I first got into Euro, so many melodic and beautiful patches utilizing the module, but as is apparent, I've only gotten my hands on one as of now.

Speaking of modules, I'm selling a ton of stuff at the moment. PM me for more details (I don't want to poo poo up this thread with FS stuff), but I've got the following:

Pittsburgh Synthesizer Box
Pittsburgh MIDI 3
Doepfer A-160-5 Ratcheting Sequencer
Shakmat Modular Bishop's Miscellany
Pittsburgh Game System
Music Thing Expanded Turing Machine Mk I
Bastl GrandPA SPA expander
Intellijel Dixie II+
SSF/WMD ADSRVCA
Soundmachines LS1 Touch controller thingy

and my Synthrotek 6U +1U 84HP case with power and a bunch of Pulp Logic 1U modules

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 22, 2016