Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Furthermore, if you're strolling around your neighborhood and you see electronics or wires being discarded, you should probably take them home with you.

Also cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

MOOG'S ROGUES

This is the only choice that's in vogue.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Kings of the Oh No Frequency

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 20, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Startyde posted:

Bury the needle.

The answer to every synthesis drug question.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Also, use your Rm-1xs, fuckers. Get good and stoned, plug in some headphones, put the thing on your lap and make some tracks.

This.

Also this should be the answer to every question posed in that "how do I make electronic/club music" thread.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Moogerfooger delays are good, but not worth their full price tag unless you've got spare cash to burn.

And synthesists never have spare cash to burn.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
If only some old pervert had already photo-documented the guts of an RM1x... http://lowbroweye.com/post/4837201400/lets-upgrade-yamaha-rm1x

And I've never even tried to use the floppy in my one - who needs it? - so that could also become a good battery bay.

ObWeirdGearAcquisitionOfTheWeek: a Red Sound Dark Star that's been rehoused in a Federation Pro chassis that offers way too many phono ins and outs on the back panel.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 27, 2014

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Issuing a challenge to you goons. Either take your Rm1x, or your iPad and a copy of the free and totally excellent Yamaha Mobile Sequencer and make a loving song.I You have until, gently caress, let's say Columbus Day.
I will be posting a series of short, quasi-informative articles about understanding the ins, outs, nooks and crannies of Rm1x usage during the next few weeks to assist you (conversion to battery power not included).

Feh, I've got nothing left to prove when it comes to making tracks with just an RM1x: https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/sets/rm1x-joints

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Can anyone recommend iPad/iPhone apps that are good for loading and triggering samples? Ideally with realtime control over one shot/looped playback, momentary/latched triggering, playback volume & pitch.

As much as I enjoy Samplr for creative mangling, it's not ideal for improvised layering of dozens of long samples to form audio collages.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

W424 posted:

Anyone into programming Lemur? I'd like to make a bunch of dropdown menus, each selection sending a simple sysex message and if possible an endless knob cabable of sending 2 different messages depending on rotation direction.

That's totally doable and quite simple, but prepare to experience some pain during the implementation. Lemur's custom kinda-C programming language is pitifully slapdash and under-developed, and the Lemur editor totally gives no fucks for lubricating the coding process.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Taking a break from soldering esoteric cable solutions, and sampling chickens & the sound of a flushing toilet captured from deep within the toilet plumbing, here's some self-triggering Dark Energy Mk1 & spring reverb:

http://cdn.lowbroweye.com/misc/140903_0051%20Dark%20Energy%20squabble.wav

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Even as an iPhone & iPad owner, I'm cringing to gently caress at the need to use an App to get samples on that device.

Got a great sound on my field recorder? Nice. Time to USB it onto my laptop, iTunes it onto an iDevice, then App it over to the Volca Sampler. gently caress that poo poo right up in the missing audio input.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I'd rather use a MicroKorg than iTunes.

Edit: And, yeah, this decision is driven by market separation and that Korg now only have in-house iOS developers.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Zoom 1201s are nasty digital trash, which is why I have 3 of them in a constant state of abuse. :v:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

net work error posted:

Someone posted that they were using a hydrophone earlier. Any recommendations on that because I've seen some techno dudes using that and it looks neat.

:tipshat:

I got mine from http://hydrophones.blogspot.co.uk 'cos I know Jez dogfoods his products for his own field recordings.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Late synthember entry - my improvised live ambient set performed at a local jazz club at the beginning of the month. Palpably runs 15 minutes too long 'cos The Propolis spent ages faffing around setting up to play after me and then lost their singer in the toilet.

https://soundcloud.com/ynohtna/arboria-auralist-live-at-createbeep-the-verdict-20140906

Gear: Error Instruments Fertas-1, two Buddha Machines, iPad with Alchemy, hydrophone in heavy glass half full of beer (agitated by hand, teaspoon, audience noise, PA feedback), Faderfox controlling Numerology 4, a handful of samples/loops, lots of tuned reverb, 3 instances of Echoloop in a two-parallel-into-one-serial configuration controlled by Keyboard Maestro, Madrona Labs Aalto, more than a little delay and digital tape saturation, etc etc etc.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sizone posted:

Let me ask you a question:

WHAT TIME IS LOVE?

3 AM.

ETERNAL.

I was prodding around in the guts of The KLF's original - and now seriously dilapidated - OB12 just the other day, in fact.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

You done already hosed up!

Actual answer: the one released two weeks after your last filter purchase.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Is there an iPad app that'll let me trigger and modulate the volume of multiple long audio loops simultaneously? i.e. MP3 files that are possibly up to an hour in length, although I'd accept something limited to only ~15 minute long files.

Bonus points if the app has locator scrubbing, pitch, and reverse playback functionality. (I really, really wish Samplr was more usable with source material longer than 1 or 2 bars.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

M/S is some kind of DSP stereo decoder that changes the overall dynamic of the input (decreases gain but opens up some headroom).

Uh, nope!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Get any individual who's giving out recommendations to understand your personal specific circumstances, goals and experience before they loosely state their own vague opinion/historical choices as a universal truth.

"One size fits all" only works as a Zappa album. Diversity is strength.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Pop the top and ensure all the chips are well-seated in their sockets. This smells strongly of the firmware waiting indefinitely for a processor or bus controller to initialize.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I find having a gig scheduled motivates me to daydream until the afternoon of the event.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mister Speaker posted:

How would I go about creating a really eerie, dissonant choir sound reminiscent of the Alien soundtrack? I know a lot of that creepiness lies in the intervals and pitchbend but it's a sound I've always wanted to nail down. Ideally with my synth but if it won't yield a convincing timbre I'm open to samplers as well.

Pitch shifted reverb.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Thumbs up for individual outputs.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ah, there was a time when he was telling everything that 32-bit Fruity Loops was the only thing anyone needed to make music but, hey, if you've got it, spend it!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Maybe take a look at the Yamaha MG series mixers?

Good value (esp. 2nd hand), USB audio interface built-in, don't lack any features I'd personally consider vital, instantly intuitive to use, and drat near indestructible. I've stuck a few in some of my local venues and they've survived the most incredible abuse from performers on the more "extreme" end of things.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:devil:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jun 9, 2017

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

why are BEMI easels in such ugly cases, my elite modular case looks more professional :sad:

Skunkworks boomer aesthetic for nostalgia placebo bonus.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Juno 106s aren't especially rare, but they are quite desirable due to their MIDI support, patch memories and pitch stability (DCOs). They were also considered for a long time to be the primary ingredient for making generic Goa trance.

As with everything, I suppose it depends on how much you like their sound.

I can't comment on the price, though, as the modern "vintage" market is bonkers. I remember when 106s in perfect nick were just a couple of hundred!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

MrSargent posted:

Ok now I think I might be an idiot and confusing things.

The MPC does not have audio out so I always thought that meant it doesn't produce its own sound. I wouldn't really consider "sampling internal noise" as producing your own sound but maybe I am wrong.

Hrm...

Are you maybe thinking of one of the semi-recent shite-tier controller-dongle MPCs that needed to be connected to a computer?

Anyway, take a gander at the Sequential Circuits Studio 440, OP, for some true vintage (12 bit) analogue (filter) drum computer flawed-but-awesome sequencing power. I'll likely be buried with mine.

Alternative suggestion: Yamaha RS7000. Another unit that'll have to pried from my cold, dead fingers.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

ArfJason posted:

synths are cool

amen

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
1: pump a monophonic MIDI sequence through an arpeggiator device/plugin, automating/controlling the arpeggiation divisions/beat durations.

2: similar, but in the audio domain with the monophonic audio fed through a gate/VCA/filter being modulated by a LFO or repeating env that's switched between tempo-related durations.

3: if you have a Mac, then Numerology (plus an optional LaunchPad for hardware control) is the best sequencer investment as it gives you as many ratchetable, complex parallel sequencers with limitless inter-modulation possibilities as you could ever want.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

clock dividers are usually pretty small modules, there's i think 2 Dopefer ones that are 4hp and the RCD from 4ms is 4hp as well ;)
:yeah:

Also really easy and low on components to breadboard up, they go really well with a VC switch (also easy to DIY) for sequencing the sub-divisions.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Southern Heel posted:

EDIT: Seems not, without an intermediate 'thing' https://www.thomann.de/gb/kenton_midi_usb_host.htm - at which point I may as well just get a keyboard synth.

For USB host -> MIDI solutions, the Keith McMIllen MIDI Expander is way cheaper than the Kenton. KMI claim it only works with their own controllers but my unit has functioned with everything simple I've tried (some Akai pads, Faderfoxes). https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/accessories/

Or, getting one's hands dirty with some simple DIY: http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v2

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Southern Heel posted:

I grew up listening to what I now know is Vangelis, Carpenter, Tangerine Dream in all the soundtrackss of the VHS tapes I used to watch to destruction. I got really into retrowave and synthwave a few years ago and so that whole thing is quite front-and-centre for me.

As mentioned before, the AN1x's thick rich tones, arpeggiator & ribbon controller might scratch your itch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV062iZ711E
Quite under-rated and under-priced on the second-hand market*.

*Jexus not included.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Audacity is the common free solution for basic audio recording, editing and effect application.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've got a Sequential Circuits Studio 440, the sampler that originally bankrupted Dave Smith.

Lost an Ensoniq Mirage - with high-def sampling expansion - from loaning it to a friend a few decades back. Still super annoyed about that. :argh:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Where we're going we won't need eyes to CV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What are the conditions to satisfy the modern criteria?