Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dyna Soar posted:

Easily available, midi controllable and not super expensive.

There's a sale on T-store, I could get both a Waldorf Streichfett and a Roland D-05 for 500 euros. I'm kinda tempted.

Gotcha.

Yeah, the D-05 could definitely fit the bill.

Leftfield retro suggestions, which'll require patience depending on your local second-hand market (which'll probably see a rise in options in a couple of weeks): Korg Wavestation, Kawai K5/K5000, Casio CZ series, Yamaha SY85, Kurzweil K2000.

Sound design suggestions to sculpt the result: comb filters, phasers, tight EQ, gritty mid-fi digital effects.

It's funny to me that cold and metallic tonal palettes are no longer easy to find due to the synth companies over-reacting to all their negative 90s gear reviews by somewhat single-mindedly fixating on "warm; analogue; fat; knobs." Meanwhile, the modular domain gets a large influx of LCDs, digital processing, and rotary encoders. Swings and roundabouts.

e: Forgot to mention the Kurzweil!

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Thumbs up for quality built, tactile gratifying instruments! Happy for you mate. :)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Thorpe posted:

Is there any good way to get a pulse out of my TR-8 that can reliably trigger the clock in on my Juno 6? I assigned the rimshot sound to one of the assignable outs but I don't quite think its loud enough or what the juno is looking for. It triggers about 90% of the time but any sort of arpeggiation is played way out of sequence. Cool sound actually, but I want to be able to have it useable. Would something like a clean boost guitar pedal to up the signal work, or am I sort of boned?

Get rid of the TR-8.

Get a TR-808. :devil:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Are you up for shipping all the 1U tiles to the UK?

e: I'll log into Muffs and contact you there. :downs:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I used to fly around with a ton of music gear & all the drat cables, tools & accessories. My technique was to show my music tech industry-related business card, and sometimes a photo of my office desk. "Look, I have to deal with this poo poo for a living."

US airports post 9/11 were always the twitchiest, obviously.

e: being a timid weirdo with a British accent probably helped complete the image.
ee: and showing the Yamaha business card was an instant upgrade in Japanese flights & hotels.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 23, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Here's the Klee app made by Defective Records: http://defectiverecords.com/klee/index2.html

It's not Max4Live, though, but rather an old-school compiled Max application (retro! vintage!), and be sure to RTFM (accurate hardware emulation!).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Oldstench posted:

"Make something different than smaller/cheaper versions of 30-year-old technology!!", the man screams into the uncaring void.

But that would require investing in R&D! :smith:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Robot Nanite fart noises, son!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Peter Greenaway's The Wife, the Grandmother, and the Gas.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone backing that Modal Skulpt portable synth? It looks pretty cool but I don't know that I can justify it when I have a Volca Keys already.

It's pretty much the definition of a box to grab half-price in a year on the second-hand market when it's capabilities and limits are better understood and the early dreamers have moved onto the next shiny.

e: much like the volca keys. :v:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 10, 2018

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's a lot of semi snake oil waffle for:

new device found > host app queries device capabilities > device reports capabilities >
host app attempts to auto-configure against a set of pre-defined expectations >
user fights against interaction edge cases and incomplete customization UI

e: to be fair, they have correctly identified the core failing of OSC.

ee: this should honestly be labelled "mLAN 2.0"

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 1, 2019

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh yeah, we're definitely ready for something new and usable.

Speccing the solution behind closed doors so a small cabal can collude on first-mover tight integration and coincidentally "forget" competitors' needs is just more of the same poo poo that has crippled previous ventures, though.

e: vvvv So you know, I'm a miserable old git with decades of jadedness and cynicism over the industry part of the music tech industry, so it's probably best to just ignore me. :v:

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 1, 2019

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:ssh: I've been one of the people behind those closed doors on a number of the past next-gen MIDI projects.

Maybe this time will be different! :unsmith:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Huh, Trent Reznor finally ran out of DX7s.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wow, such top notch goon creativity on show here. Fantastic stuff, you all own. :h:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

rickiep00h posted:

I miss my MicroBruteRED so much. That thing was like razorblades. But my stupid CAT got SICK and I needed MONEY. :argh:

Is was catte okay? :ohdear:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

rickiep00h posted:

After the combo of some pulled teeth and some antibiotics and a dietary change, he's still the vicious little poo poo as before.

Yay! I guess it turns out that the real micro brute was the furry fiends the synths met along the way. :downs:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chop your beats by hand'n'ear, dammit, and build up those MPC workflow virtuosity muscles. :wookie:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Josh ain't your manager; he's your dealer. :catdrugs:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yamaha RS7000 samples, synths, sequences, MIDIs.

It's definitely a large unit in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Cheese Thief posted:

Whats better 808 or 909

Production skills.