Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looks drat nice. I put in for the basic version after watching the videos. Hope it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I will be getting a family member's cast off iPad 2 soon. What are the recommendations for good synth/sequencing apps?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music: Do you have problems getting sounds that gel well from different devices?

I've had issues recently where I'll go to add another synth patch to something I'm working on and have a lot of trouble getting it to mesh well with what's already there. This is probably compounded because I'm working with software, where everything has built in effects put onto the patches. Anyway, how do you guys deal with this?

e: The first answer will likely be "make your own patches." I know. I usually do. But I still have this come up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm really into this, but I feel like I'm not getting the information I need. It keeps saying 26 modules, but I haven't seen a list of what they are. The sound demos are impressive, but I don't know if it's all the built in sound generation or if it uses the sample library (I assume it loads samples? I don't know!)

That said I'm probably half an hour on KVR away from buying this thing.

e: from KVR

quote:

here are the modules:

mono delay
stereo delay
filter
pitcher (pitchshifter)
reducer
clipper
distortion
fold
waveshaper
noise
fm osc
-----
mono gainer
stereo gainer
mono mixer
dual mono mixer
stereo mixer
------------
envelope follower
lfo
midi
meta control
quad scaler
add/sub
mult/div
random in
random out
lag

coolskull fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 15, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

renderful posted:

Samples aren't instruments. They are static, and do nothing without a sampler(which places its own sound via envelopes, filters and how it's used). They are more akin to the idea of synth presets than the 909.

This just seems pedantic. Sure, maybe "decade defining SYNTH" is the wrong term, but the result is basically the same. Let's say "defining sound" instead.

The Amen break was already mentioned as an example. No one puts an asterisk next to that because producers had to load it into a sampler first and poke at the volume envelope.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I emailed Akai and the sales / support lady says the Rhythm Wolf will be out in June

edit: this is possibly what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/tindra/akai-rhythm-wolf

poo poo, I'm actually considering picking one up now.

Made this last week: http://weeklybeats.com/#/toneless/music/untitled-retro-thing

Avoided the issue of sounds gelling I mentioned a few pages back by keeping everything simple. I feel like I need some reference point to build from for writing melodies though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Found on KVR, thought you guys might enjoy it:

http://bestsamplelibraries.com/anal...nd-noise-music/

A "sound library" that consists of someone noodling with their monotron for an hour, uncut. In beautiful 44800kHz.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

This one almost had me pissing myself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKyHLzRTNM

Next time I need some meows and slide whistle sounds to layer over a z3ta preset, I'll know where to go.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Z3ta is worth grabbing if only for the fact that it's got essentially an era-defining preset patch which honestly sounds really really good. That and it's crazy powerful.

Which patch would that be?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

I just saw that 9 Warning Signs of an Amateur Artist thing for the first time the other day, and I felt pretty proud of myself until I hit number 8, which I think goes hand in hand with GAS.

Yeesh. This article makes me feel awful. I've made virtually no progress on my "important" music in like a year and a half. This outlines a lot of what I've gotten caught up in.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

In direct opposition to my last post in this thread, I upgraded from Kontakt to Komplete the other day. I honestly feel like I could use some new tools to gently caress around with and this seems like a logical way to go. Waiting for UPS to drop off the discs, like it's the goddamn 20th century.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

It's only upgrades/crossgrades that are on sale FYI.

My Komplete crossgrade came in the mail just as I saw the email. Thankfully they're cool about it and I'm getting the difference refunded.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Xabi posted:

What do you use your ipad for?

loading your favorite tracks on youtube and sighing despondently

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Software dudes: any resources you check out to learn new stuff about synths you own? Been getting into Massive lately and everything I find is basically just "10 things you'd know if you flipped through the manual."

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Komplete saved me from having to buy FOUR grand pianos. That's a savings of fifty thousand dollars!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

theory question for y'all: does bleep usually follow bloop, or is the other way around more traditional?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Why don't you loving nerds get into something cool, like measuring filter slopes?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I did some cool stuff in Max once.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

If someone else wants to make a music programming thread I will def come by sometimes to give outdated Max/MSP advice.

Tangentially related: one of the faders just came off my MIDI keyboard (Novation Launchkey). I am trying to squeeze it back in so I can still feel like this is new.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

AxeBreaker posted:

ALL the DAW's are like 400$ plus for the full version, if they are as annoying as Komplete I'll put off getting one as long as possible.

Reaper is $60 (though if you're a cheapass you could just not pay at all) and has always been pretty stable for me.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Scatterfold posted:

Aphex Twinks surely :cripes:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm also making an effort to learn more music theory and stop obsessing over tiny details of tracks that are basically meaningless because I don't have the patience to actually compose anything so who gives a poo poo if I can make a few bars sound perfect? So yeah, I'm actually doing things now so that's a super positive change for me.

Dunno what you're looking into, but as someone who took some (unhelpful) theory classes, Michael Hewitt's Music Theory For Computer Musicians is loving great. Dude just gets right to the point on each topic and actually explains why things are usually done the way they are. It actually got me excited about learning this poo poo.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

a_big_dog posted:

Anyone know of a decent FM synthesis tutorial/explanation? Especially if it's geared for SuperCollider :allears:

Simon Cann has an ebook about it for three bucks. One of his "how to make a noise" titles

e: autocorrect typos

coolskull fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 17, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Thinking about picking up a Rhythm Wolf. Couldn't remember if any of you guys had experience with it. Fill me in goons.

e: finally i see it's not fully out yet. whoops.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I wrote a tutorial on crafting drum kits. You should probably read it: http://www.strangedynamix.com/constructing-a-complete-drum-kit/

Nice, I was looking for info on his just recently. Gonna start reading in a bit.
For some reason my idiot brain says you must be a good source of info since you have a Machinedrum.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Here's my OSCtober thing

Haven't had a chance to mix it properly but otherwise I'm happy with it. Arpeggiators are fun guys.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

SineRider posted:

Wanted to put something up for OSCtober. Here is a track I'm currently working on created with the Makenoise Shared System and my homemade Atari Punk Console. However, everything was sequenced in Ableton Live. It still pretty rough mix-wise too

https://soundcloud.com/devin-powers-music/sketch-2-test-mix-1

Sick.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I am down for the Not Xmas goon record.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Based on my experience with other internet compilations, I think it'd also be good to remind everyone that their submission (to whoever they're submitting) should be a lossless file.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Even so I have no idea what you're saying about getting more headroom. Was the interface expecting a mid-side microphone setup?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Rhythm Wolf vs Volca Beats and Bass deathmatch.

The YouTube comments are surprisingly civil compared to the Synthtopia thread... for now.

Bit disappointed in how the RW sounds comparatively, but I'll still pick one up over the Volcas. There's a handful of things about it I like, but chiefly I can't imagine trying to play the Volcas. I got one of the original Monotrons, and it's the least gratifying thing to play with.

Kinda feel like he did a poor job matching the two though. Volcas always come through louder, and there's definitely a difference in synth filter settings on that first pattern.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Rifter17 posted:

I just got my Rhythm Wolf a few days ago and the bass synth plays out of tune with itself so it's basically useless. I was initially underwhelmed with the drums, but they've grown on me. The pads feel great and I found the sequencer to be lots of fun. I have to send it back to Sweetwater because of the out of tune bass unless there's a way to make it work from home.

Edit: here's a video detailing how out of tune the bass synth is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vczWloosYug

Jeeeesus. Never mind then.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I honestly can't understand why that decision was made. Unless they wanna pull in some IAP money on the app and feel like that outweighs all the negatives.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

vkeios posted:

Wait, you really don't understand why the sampler works with a phone? The device with a microphone that most people carry around at all times?

Why it works exclusively with a phone, via an application that's only of use as long as they support it, yes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looks neat, but I can't imagine getting too much use from it. Gonna stick it on my wishlist and watch for sales. Also, why the hell is it exactly $37?

e: apparently the M01 supports Streetpass AND up to eight players.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I thought this was a NOT Xmas album. I guess it doesn't totally matter for what I'm thinking though.

I'd recommend having all submissions be lossless files though. Downloading from Soundcloud is gonna be lossy, even if the original upload was a WAV. It won't take terribly long to stick a FLAC file on wetransfer, and the results will be better if we wait til the last stage (putting the thing on bandcamp or whatev) to bring lossy formats into it.

Not saying people shouldn't put their stuff on Soundcloud TOO, but for the sake of compiling it.

e: also, I bought M1 LE this morning. Gonna knock out some PCM jams when I get off work.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I've been thinking about picking up a drum machine or something. I keep looking at the Machinedrum because I love having all the steps right there, though that's probably excessive for me. Partly it's because I want something I can just curl up in bed and play with, partly because I feel like I don't have anything that lets me just slowly build up patterns and improvise with. Maybe the new Electribe would be a decent option.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Any clue on space/time constraints for the Electribe sampler? I thought I saw it took SD cards, so hopefully it's not a concern. Curious to see what the Ableton export looks like too. More specifically what I can pull from it for non Ableton use.

e:

quote:

There can be up to a total of 999 preset and user samples, and a maximum of 270 seconds of sampling time (calculated as monaural) can be used.

That's a bummer. Come on guys, it's 2014.

coolskull fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 7, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Any of you guys have experience with the QuNeo? Feeling itchy for a non-keyboard controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

You have a deadline for the winter comp? Getting pretty close with my track.