Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

The Cleaner posted:

You need gear, and LOTS of it. :science:

I put this in the second post of the OP. I also appreciate that you basically summed up gearslutz into one post.

So, on another semi-related note, I'm down a lot of my synths and have only a couple of cheap ones here in Honolulu, the two vintage fuckers in the mainland are basically just sitting there for now but my 303 has kind of got a planned expiration date of when I'm planning to buy plane tickets to south Asia again. I'm finding I'm enjoying making music more without the A4 or something like it; I think I was feeling too obligated to make it play nice with my Ableton setup and that was just driving me nuts.

I'm also making an effort to learn more music theory and stop obsessing over tiny details of tracks that are basically meaningless because I don't have the patience to actually compose anything so who gives a poo poo if I can make a few bars sound perfect? So yeah, I'm actually doing things now so that's a super positive change for me.

Yay synth thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
You need to write a few songs in Mario Paint or something.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm also making an effort to learn more music theory and stop obsessing over tiny details of tracks that are basically meaningless because I don't have the patience to actually compose anything so who gives a poo poo if I can make a few bars sound perfect? So yeah, I'm actually doing things now so that's a super positive change for me.

Dunno what you're looking into, but as someone who took some (unhelpful) theory classes, Michael Hewitt's Music Theory For Computer Musicians is loving great. Dude just gets right to the point on each topic and actually explains why things are usually done the way they are. It actually got me excited about learning this poo poo.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lichtenstein posted:

It's got a somewhat unintutive interface (my envelope release ain't working at all. You'd think one has to do some tweaking of the DCA4, clearly depicted as the final output of the sound, but nope, it's the random rear end unlabeled ENV4 with no particular destination)
That depends if the envelopes are hardwired or not.

Also, the envelope volume release is not working if your filter is closed all the way and has a release of zero (the sound will still be there, the lowpass filter will just muffle it into oblivion). Make the filter envelope the same, or take the filter out of the loop entirely by moving the cutoff all the way up and setting filter envelope modulation to zero.

quote:

Working straight off blank INIT, I've noticed all three noise waveforms have a very computer-ish sound, more like the weird noises a 56k dial-up modem does, rather how a proper white noise sounds. Is it how it's supposed to be, or is there a knob to fix it?
Likely how it's supposed to be; the noise in there is likely a sample instead of a proper analog noise source.

Fun (no, boring actually) fact: Synth1 uses (or at least used to) a pseudo-random generator for a noise signal. PSRNs re-set when they're re-triggered, and guess what osc sync does :v:

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

all three noise waveforms have a very computer-ish sound, more like the weird noises a 56k dial-up modem does, rather how a proper white noise sounds. Is it how it's supposed to be, or is there a knob to fix it?

Glorious, isn't it?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

BKPR posted:

Dunno what you're looking into, but as someone who took some (unhelpful) theory classes, Michael Hewitt's Music Theory For Computer Musicians is loving great. Dude just gets right to the point on each topic and actually explains why things are usually done the way they are. It actually got me excited about learning this poo poo.

Most useful "buy this" suggestion itt. I'm finding this way more useful than a piano book I bought. I guess it's because it explains stuff in the context of the whole keyboard rather than just learn this piece for this exercise. That and assuming you are either working from a DAW or a MIDI controller or both.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Fun (no, boring actually) fact: Synth1 uses (or at least used to) a pseudo-random generator for a noise signal. PSRNs re-set when they're re-triggered, and guess what osc sync does :v:

Man, my cs teacher in 10th grade taught us to always pull from the clock for seeds. That doesn't fix everything but it helps. It's surprising how often people don't re-seed properly when it might be noticed.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 8, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I put this in the second post of the OP. I also appreciate that you basically summed up gearslutz into one post.

So, on another semi-related note, I'm down a lot of my synths and have only a couple of cheap ones here in Honolulu, the two vintage fuckers in the mainland are basically just sitting there for now but my 303 has kind of got a planned expiration date of when I'm planning to buy plane tickets to south Asia again. I'm finding I'm enjoying making music more without the A4 or something like it; I think I was feeling too obligated to make it play nice with my Ableton setup and that was just driving me nuts.

Yay synth thread!
I know I pinged you about your remaining Eurorack case and module and haven't gotten back to you (sadly: case too small, possibly too fancy (real hardwood!) for what I'm planning), but you should totally sell me that 303 when you're ready.

Also: what I'm planning is to buy a Ming Mecca. We'll see if I actually do it. Seems possibly one of the dumbest/coolest ways to jump into the deep end of Eurorack. And yeah, I do plan to still build it out piece by piece, not all at once.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
You should buy the Euro case anyways, I also take frequent flier miles.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Likely how it's supposed to be; the noise in there is likely a sample instead of a proper analog noise source.

Yeah, I think that's the case - the manual entry for the NOISE3 waveform mentioned a "clangorous, metallic quality". Still, there's an inharmonic loop of blowing steam which worked well enough as a ghetto noise.

I'm currently trying to turn my mostly theoretical knowledge of what particular knobs do into something that doesn't sound like poo poo. I'm going through presets and it's kinda scary in how simple some solutions are that would never cross my mind (detune a piano by an octave and three semitones and you're halfway to a violin sound!). Other than reverse-enginnering the presets, I wonder if there is some sort of resource like this, that is not a patch library per se, but something that gives you an endgoal and some super rough tips on where to begin?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
There is (was) the Transoniq hacker. Earlier issues have a ton of esq-1/sq-80 patches that people sent it. -Might- help to look at some of them.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Lichtenstein posted:

Yeah, I think that's the case - the manual entry for the NOISE3 waveform mentioned a "clangorous, metallic quality". Still, there's an inharmonic loop of blowing steam which worked well enough as a ghetto noise.

I'm currently trying to turn my mostly theoretical knowledge of what particular knobs do into something that doesn't sound like poo poo. I'm going through presets and it's kinda scary in how simple some solutions are that would never cross my mind (detune a piano by an octave and three semitones and you're halfway to a violin sound!). Other than reverse-enginnering the presets, I wonder if there is some sort of resource like this, that is not a patch library per se, but something that gives you an endgoal and some super rough tips on where to begin?

http://www.syntorial.com/ is great for learning how to match sounds though it's based on typical subtractive synth architecture and I have no idea how well it'd work for something like the SQ80.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mr. Sharps posted:

http://www.syntorial.com/ is great for learning how to match sounds though it's based on typical subtractive synth architecture and I have no idea how well it'd work for something like the SQ80.

Is there a name for synthesizers that aren't ROMplers but use sampled waveforms for synthesis?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Number Two Stunna posted:

Is there a name for synthesizers that aren't ROMplers but use sampled waveforms for synthesis?

Hybrid or wavetable, depending on how they're configured.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
"Hybrid" only if they have analog filters (DW8000, ESQ-1). "Wavetable" only if they allow PPG-style wavetable scrolling (the "wavetable" in 90s soundcards was a marketing term).

Otherwise they're just romplers. That's not necessarily a derogatory term, it's just that arranger keyboards use that technology as well, but they usually restrict the kind of editing you can do while a Motif or Fantom won't.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

W424 posted:

Maybe this qualifies for the groovebox stuff. Zoom 234 + Modded Monotron, audio used as CV.
Very lofi.

https://soundcloud.com/wolf-424/zoom234mongotron

Sounds like a TRS80 gig!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

AxeBreaker posted:

It's my Birthday this month, and I've gotten some cash to combust. I can add my own and or expect the odd 100$ from other sources, but I got 600$ plus maybe 200$ total.

I'm looking at the MiniNova, UltraNova and Waldorf Pulse 2. Or possibly just a better midi controller (I have a Samson carbon 49, it's an iffy keyboard and not much else) and some software.

Has anybody tried the Pulse 2?

I guess the main thing that has me all indecisive is liking the layout of mono synths, but the features of poly/digital synths.

I have an Ultranova and I like it a lot. IMHO it's great if you only want one synthesizer, and you also need a decent controller, and an audio interface for your pooter, oh and you also want to plug a microphone in somewhere.

You don't hear people talk about the Ultranova much on here, because nobody has just 1 synth. NOBODY

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I just need one more... synth buying frenzy

SQ8L/SQ80/ESQ- I'm sure I posted these in the last thread but Hacker archive. There's a good mailing list populated with helpful oldbeards. Including Mr. Slinkard who has a video with nice tips for SQ80, including PWM.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm going to be purchasing forums user dj bobby bieber's Rocktron Banshee talkbox. I'm very excited to test it out with some 'neurofunk' timbres, to see if I can't get some unique modulation to inspire some heavy D&B basslines... But I also have to pay tribute to the classics; what are some of the OG sounds to put through a talkbox for that Roger Troutman sound?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Brassy saw from an FM synth but most anything with a saw would get you in the realm. His technique had a lot to do with it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Startyde posted:

Brassy saw from an FM synth.

Basically the first voice I ever made on FM.

"Boy, two operators are pretty bland. Hey what does feedback do?"

Still my go-to worm lead with mod wheel patched to modulator depth. Still don't use more than 2 operators.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dr. Honked posted:

I have an Ultranova and I like it a lot. IMHO it's great if you only want one synthesizer, and you also need a decent controller, and an audio interface for your pooter, oh and you also want to plug a microphone in somewhere.

You don't hear people talk about the Ultranova much on here, because nobody has just 1 synth. NOBODY

does the ultranova have a lot of functionality you can't access on the hardware alone? It seems like a lot of synths i look at are geared toward DAW users/production more than live performance (aka just dicking around) with custom VSTs for interacting with the hardware, etc. Really i want something with a bunch of knobs and such so I can play around and learn what the different settings and parameters do in a hands-on sort of way instead of having MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITY right from the start.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If you're looking for knobby polysynths then there's some decent digital 90s options, apparently some sadists like the Korg MS2000. I'd still probably got for the Ultranova, they're kind of unsung heroes right now.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Mr. Glass posted:

does the ultranova have a lot of functionality you can't access on the hardware alone? It seems like a lot of synths i look at are geared toward DAW users/production more than live performance (aka just dicking around) with custom VSTs for interacting with the hardware, etc. Really i want something with a bunch of knobs and such so I can play around and learn what the different settings and parameters do in a hands-on sort of way instead of having MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITY right from the start.

The Ultranova is perfectly good to use standalone, without a DAW. This is what I was looking for too. If I wanted to use a DAW and VST's I'd just get a keyboard controller and one of those Behringer knob boxes instead.

The Ultranova is 100% functional and easy to use from the front panel. I take mine to jam sessions, along with a small guitar amp, and it's all great.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Dr. Honked posted:

The Ultranova is perfectly good to use standalone, without a DAW. This is what I was looking for too. If I wanted to use a DAW and VST's I'd just get a keyboard controller and one of those Behringer knob boxes instead.

The Ultranova is 100% functional and easy to use from the front panel. I take mine to jam sessions, along with a small guitar amp, and it's all great.

awesome, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for then.

what is the thread's opinion on stuff like the Kaossilator Pro and similar products (for the same purpose: just for playing with instead of being the be-all and end-all of music production)? Are there similar products worth looking at? Should I wait for the new Electribes?

e:

unrelated to the above, this looks pretty cool

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 10, 2014

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWZsA8w8gRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Ugh, that's a lot of decent synths for a bunch of bullshit. :smithicide:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

im the guy on the vermona

VoodooXT posted:

Hello and welcome to synths :yayclod:

e- Speaking of a bunch of bullshit, new rhythm wolf vid, still sounds awful. Even through a bucket of RD's modular.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 10, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

VoodooXT posted:

That was my same thought when I saw the table of stuff. Although it looks like it's people just messing around and nobody trying to jam together so of course it's just going to be beep blorps.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Someone condensed this thread into a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMZ2vV0zqg

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

net work error posted:

Someone condensed this thread into a video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMZ2vV0zqg

It's got to be said that that is taken from a 68 minute video, and he doesn't say synthesizer nearly as much as you'd expect given how many he has.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Startyde posted:

Hello and welcome to synths :yayclod:

Yeah, I know. It's just a little joke I say every so often, except it's usually within the context of modular synth bleep bloops as "That's a lot of patch cables for a bunch of bullshit. :v:"

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

apparently some sadists like the Korg MS2000.

Hi there.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C430AWTvMPs

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

apparently some sadists like the Korg MS2000.

If only they could take the powerful engine and sounds of the MS2000, and condense it into a smaller portable design. Something more micro...

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If only they could KEEP THE DAMNED STEP SEQUENCER

If the KingKorg had a step sequencer or at least an 'as played' option for the arpeggiator I would have been much happier, and would probably not own a hardware sequencer from 1996

... probably.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I probably wouldn't have sold mine if I'd had easier acces to the "soundz", something like this perhaps?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I want a vocoder / vocal effects processor. Should I get another synth or just a standalone thingy? I checked out the new Roland gadget but no MIDI / carrier signal input kills it for me

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a vocoder / vocal effects processor. Should I get another synth or just a standalone thingy? I checked out the new Roland gadget but no MIDI / carrier signal input kills it for me

Zoom 1201 if you want ultra cheap.

Edit. Holy lol
http://youtu.be/IdaWuzRRRF8
http://youtu.be/ZMBgatptyI8

W424 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 11, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

That looks stupid and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Zoom 1201s are nasty digital trash, which is why I have 3 of them in a constant state of abuse. :v: