Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
One thing I'd like to mention (and I haven't until now because I've been living in synth shame) is that anyone buying an after-market Minibrute needs to be very careful about the keyboards on the early production runs. Supposedly they've fixed the issue, and anyone who can show proof of purchase (new purchase, not used) can get it fixed for free minus shipping, but certain keys (particular middle C) have the tendency to break the plastic holding the rubber stopper that keeps the key from bouncing around when it's released, and keeps all the keys flush.

(Not mine, but I have a similar issue)

Now because of this all Minibrute keyboards have had their warranty extended for an additional 2 years (so 3 years total), but from what I understand you need to be the original owner for that to be in effect.

Don't let this dissuade you from buying one since they make some of the best robot farts around for dirt cheep, but if you want one used just get the microbrute instead since it's almost the same thing (actually the sequencer is pretty good on it which the mini doesn't have) and you'll pay about the same for a used minibrute.

e:

As far as cost to knob ratios go, the best thing in the world to get is one of these:

32 knobs for only $150, so at under $5 a knob it will leave you with plenty of cash to spend on a modular system! :retrogames:

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I need drums. I know it. Problem is, I really need a drum machine/sequencer to program them, my brain is too dumb to make use of drum sounds on a keyboard, especially since I don't have a recording device atm and trying to just use the sequencer + lfo on the microbrute isn't cutting it.

I'm leaning toward elektron stuff since it all looks like it'll work with my workflow brainflow. I like the blofeld... I think. It almost feels too deep, my microbrute feels so safe. It's like paddling around in the shallow end, compared to the black abyss at the end of the pool with the diving board and the roving vacuum.

I was in the same boat, but I have a wife so dropping a grand+ on anything Elektron or Dave Smith makes was out of the question. I picked up the sparkLE to replace my RM1x and the sounds are really, really good for VA however I got it with the deal they were doing at Christmas which was all the additional sounds for free so YMMV there. The sequencer on it is really nice (up to 64 steps X 64 patterns X 4 banks per song), and the only thing lacking from it is chord triggering which is the only thing I miss from my old RM1x. That might be something they update in the future with the software which is something I have to say they've been great at doing since the larger Spark that it's based on came out a few years ago but who knows.

Originally I planned on also getting a volca to cover any analogue drums I'd need, but I'm waiting for an actual demo of the Rhythm Wolf looks since all I'd need analogue for drum wise is for base, snare (the god awful snare on the beats is why I haven't gotten it yet), and hats. The fact that is has a "precision" sound and a simple bass sound is just icing on the cake for me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm writing up a relatively large post later tonight for the second post place on major synth manufacturers and some of the offsite resources like Muffwiggler and Gearslutz (:vomit:).

I think there might be one other person here that uses Kurzweil here, but if you're putting off-site resources for major synth manufactures in a post then I'd recommend this site for anyone with a K2xx or PCx series synth.

The really in depth stuff is behind a $5/year pay wall that I haven't gotten yet, but just from browsing the stuff on the gernal forums I've learned a ton and it's really lessened the learning curve for me with V.A.S.T.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Computer posted:

$200 less sounds like a bit much, doesn't it? This is the cheapest I've seen. I'm looking for a groovebox just to have an alternative to DAW+VST, but there aren't many to come by here. Because of a couple of awesome demos on youtube, as well as the fact that it has a nice, large LCD, the RM1x DOES look very interesting, but I haven't seen one for sale in a looong time. They seem to go for between $250 and $300.

If you're not averse to Ebay there are like 5 up right now for under $250. Really, I think most of the problems with equipment purchased there happen with analogue boxes since I've had zero problems with the non-analogue things I've gotten there.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Computer posted:

I've tried looking around for synths there, but most sellers don't even ship here. For the few that do, shipping is at or above $100. :(
...In addition to customs :negative:

e: worth mentioning (again?) that I live in this synthless northern kingdom:

poo poo, I forget that some of you are a bunch of godless soulless communist soccer playing Europeans.

ON the bright side, what you lack in synths you make up for in socialized medicine. :norway:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
:dance: I just convinced my wife that I should get an A4 :dance:

Of course I have to sell my minibrute after it gets repaired, and then wait until around October to see how large my Q1-3 bonus checks are because I can't get it unless I've also saved up the money for the trip to Europe we're taking next year (5k in 7 months is easy)... but in the mean time it let's me focus on learning and making music with the stuff I have without trying to figure out the cheapest way possible to piecemeal my setup to completion, since the A4 covers pretty much every hole in my setup.

And the best part is, she agreed to it over gmail chat so I have that poo poo in writing. :slick:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

tehschulman posted:

:words:

Reverb:
Eventide Space (expensive as gently caress but I might actually end up getting one)
Strymon Big Sky
EHX Cathedral Reverb (seems like a good choice at half the price of the Eventide)
BOSS RE-20 (have one of these since it gets good praises from the synth community but I don't think it suits my tastes)

:words:

I'm also a guitar/synth guy and was smart enough to hold onto my 99 Mexican strat, so when I splurged and picked up a Kurzwiel Mangler for my effects unit it's not only amazing for synths, but also my guitar except for the three areas where it's sister unit Rumor excels at which is delay, chorus, and reverb excluding the amazing Lazerverb. Right now I'm waiting to see how the A4 effects pair with it before I get any pedals but I did do a fair amount of research on dedicated reverb pedals so hope this helps.

The Eventide space is pretty much top of the line for reverb but you do pay for it big time, and I felt like the Big Sky while really nice was still a bit too expensive for what it is. The three that made my final cut before I stopped looking were the EHX Cathedral since it has great reverbs as well as a the ability to add some pre-delay to the signal (basically the opposite of the RE-20 which I wasn't impressed with either), and two Hardwire stereo reverb pedals, the RV-7 and Supernatural since they're only $150/$180 and they use Lexicon algorithms and not Digitech ones, and really it was between the Supernatural and the Cathedral.

I'll probably be on the lookout for a dedicated boost and fuz pedal for my guitar in a few months though and for that I'll most likely go boutique for the fuzz and MXR for the boost since I know they are going to be mono only because I'm not going to be routing my synths through it 99% of the time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Avalanche posted:

What would be a better beginner synth option assuming money (no more than $600) isn't really an issue? The Korg MS20 Mini, or the Arturia Minibrute?

I'm looking for something that I can use independently from a DAW if I want to, but something I can also plug into a DAW with no problem. I want to take music lessons again to build up my theory, but I want a fun instrument that doesn't necessarily require a laptop and a fuckton of wires and other stuff to get working.

I'm guessing the mini? Is there any other beginner synth out there someone could recommend?

I have both the MS-20mini and the Minibrute but my wife is only letting me keep one so once it comes back from getting a new keyboard (the early runs had defective ones) I'll be selling my Minibrute.

That being said I wouldn't recommend an MS-20 as someone's first synth since it doesn't play well with 99% of other synths and recording equipment at all, however if you're looking for something that you can at least play chords and learn on, $600 would get you a used VA synth of which I would recommend an ESQ-1, Ion, or Blofeld if you get lucky.

And if you can wait, my slightly used minibrute will be going up for sale after it comes back fixed for the price of a microbrute. :iamafag:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Axiom Pro 61? (Not the air)

I have the 49 key of that and it's been great.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

I'm putting the proceeds from my Virus toward a wedding ring, apparently.

Does she come with all of those synths or something?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

I can only pick out an asr-10, a microkorg and an m1. What's the deal with no rack gear though? I've got, like, not counting some novelty casios, 2 keyboard synths and all the rest of my stuff is rack.

I had the N364 as my first synth (the grey one under the microkorg)

It's a great synth for gig's, but loving horrible for sound design. At least I got $800 for it... which is what I paid for it new.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flanky posted:

I'm in a similar place. I feel probably the best way to go about it is to use the processed-as-gently caress Vengeance samples, and then if I feel the need to polish the track into something I want to show people I sperg out over the percussion after!

Pretty much this, only since I'm also a nerd over heavily processed and layered synth sounds it's not just the drums that get this treatment but instead I'll use a preset or modify one slightly* so long as it's around 90% of what the final sound I'm looking for will be while I'm in the writing process. Now, on that front, I'm coming up on one year since I started getting back into making music and it's taken me that long (ok, really 6 months since I was researching gear more than I was actually playing for the first 6 months) to finally start writing things that I'm actually happy with instead of poo poo melodies and dead-end progressions. The best part is I'm actually using and happy with everything I've purchased on a regular basis both hardware and software wise so I'm spending way more time writing and just letting myself save up for the final few things I've concluded would be nice to have but don't need them immediately.

*I know, I'm a monster for using presets but when I'm writing I give way more of a poo poo about actually writing and I know I can obsess over dialing in the tone and sounds later.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

Don't forget tears as you constantly tell yourself that you don't like what you make. Or is that just me?

No no, this is by design. First you'll make stuff that you hate while you're making it, but you're building off of something which is good. Next you'll make something you love and build off of it, only to come back to it a few days/weeks later and hate it. Then you'll make something you love, then still love it when you come back to it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

In related news: I'm possibly going to be building a Shruthi XT with a 4PM filter. After having an Ambika and playing with every filter type Mutable Instruments makes except for the 4 pole I think I'm ready to move on to just a single Shruthi. I had a Yellow Magic for a while and it sound was good enough but I really hated programming on the 2x20 LCD display. The XT enclosure and control boards should fix this problem. Since an SMR-4 Shruthi comes with the XT kit I might end up having an extra Shruthi to screw around with (or if anyone is looking to buy one just give me a shout, I'm going to put it in one of those fancy metal enclosures).

I'm actually really interested in know how this goes since a Shruthi XT is still on my list of future purchases I'm actually planning on making instead of just what I'm lusting after, especially once I read up on the SDE mods for it and would probably do at least the core 3 and filter shape SDE mods down the line. I'd also love to know if you think there would be enough space to possible add a second filter board mounted internally once you get the build underway since the only two filter boards I'm interested in are the SMR-4 and Digital ones, and having 1 XT unit to control both (A/B switched obviously) would pretty much be perfect, even if I had to forgo the SDE mods.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Actually, on a related note, does anyone have any suggestions for practicing composition stuff on the go? It's easy enough reading about theory, but it's hard to practice that stuff unless I'm actively sitting at my desktop (it's actually one of the reasons I'm loving the A4 right now, I can try my hand at composing stuff away from a computer). I don't know if any of you with a more formal background know of any good tricks though.

Either get an OP-1, 2-3 of the Volca's or an ipad/iphone with some instruments on it (anything with a sequencer, some sounds, and the ability to record) and take them with you and just write when you're inspired. When you do that, don't worry about things sounding 100% the way you want them to, just record ideas/noodles/sketches and then make a habit of transferring them to your main system once you're able to and maybe once a week go back to them and see which ones you can further develop and which ones were poo poo (this is what will actually help you a ton with composition). Really, composition is way more about what sounds good to you than always following laws of music theory (they're more like guidelines really) so having an instrument you can record with always on you is your best bet.

The only other way I can think of is trying to write things using a pen and paper, but back when I could actually read music to the point of sight reading fairly complex parts in school I tried to write music that way and literally 100% of what I tried to compose in that manner was total bullshit and a complete waste of time as opposed to 90% being bullshit actually sitting down at my performance synth and computer so I really don't recommend that. Now that I've gotten back into the swing of things and really focused on the parts of theory that applies to what I want to do I would say it's only 70% of what I write currently being total bullshit so hey... baby steps man.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Since I'm not going to buy an OP-1, any suggestions on apps for the iPad? I usually have that with me and can noodle on that a bit.

I actually don't have an ipad (yet) and so I'm limited to just my iphone, but for me it's Nanostudio if I want to actually write things or Figure/Alchemy if I just want to gently caress around, Alchemy for sound fuckery and Figure for noodling fuckery.*

For ipad apps though, I'd start here since those reviews are usually pretty solid, but aside from that I've heard great things about the new Gadget from Korg.

*Those are for composition, no loving idea where to start when it comes to just instruments.

treasureplane posted:

Has anyone actually heard the Rhythm Wolf yet? It's been over a month.

I'm actually holding off on getting a volca beats until the audio demo comes out since it's one of the other for me... and while you can fix the volca's snare into something usable I'd rather not have to resort to soldering things just yet.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 17, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

:tipshat:

Thanks, and any mods I would do would of course be after I got a stock version up and running... just planning for the future is all. Never though of just increasing the size of the side panels but it makes sense with the case not being 1 unit with a cover/back panel. And hey, if you ever do end up wanting/needing to sell it I'm sure I could hide one more synth from the wife.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sure thing. I'm probably going to order the XT kit in the next few days. I'm debating whether or not to buy the 4PM PCBs, extra enclosure, and preprogrammed chips now or when I have enough time to assemble a parts list for the 4PM build, but if you wanted to buy the Shruthi in the next month or so I could get it together sooner. Let's talk.

Well, I was more referring to if you needed to sell it because of bills or you don't like it or something to try and sell it here first. I'm totally capable of building it and actually want to since it's good practice for not only the volca beats snare mod I might end up having to do, but also because I'm going to take my 99 MIM strat from my main guitar and turn it into a sound design guitar... and then get a Gibson with P90's for my new main. Really the only hurdles for me to start doing this is that I'd have to get new solder equipment (all my solder stuff was trashed 10y ago when a pipe burst in the garage at my moms house where it was stored) and I'm saving up for both an A4 and a trip to Europe with the wife which are both much larger priorities for me right now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm selling my old guitar gear and looking to go back to my roots and invest my time into being antisocial and writing bad electronic music instead. I've spotted a controller keyboard I like at a good price, but the listing was old so nothing might come of it. If it doesn't, I might stick to my cheap 49 full-size key E-MU controller for now and get a level entry analogue mono synth instead.

I've got a JD990 ROMpler in my equipment rack and it's about as fun to integrate into a modern DAW as you can imagine. While I don't really want to shift it yet, I want to pick up something I'm not going to have a nightmare with, which I'm hoping isn't so much of a problem with the new stuff.

So...

Arturia* stuff seems well liked. I know the MicroBrute came after the MiniBrute with a few changes but also a few missing things (and a shittier keyboard). Between the two, what would people go for? Or is it worth saving cash and getting the MiniBrute SE when it launches which seems to be the best of both worlds? Main problem with this is the price difference between getting a new SE and a second hand original/Micro.

If not the Arturia, are there any other go to favourites? I've got a hard on for the outrun/synthwave stuff that's out at the moment, but tastes range across most dance based genres (dnb, jungle, hardcore, trance, dub step, whatever) and hiphop/trap. Versatility is nice! I quite dig the Moog Minitaur too from what I've seen on videos. I've never built sounds from scratch before (beyond the little ssssynth app on my iPhone and beginning to use the inbuilt synth in Live), so user accessibility is *definitely* a bonus! Cheers

* their controller keyboards and the company itself don't seem well liked, did they just luck out with their synths or are they changing for the better?

Realistically, both the Arturia's have lovely keyboards with the micro's being just lovely and a poo poo load of the mini's being defective. My mini is getting fixed with no ETA on when I'm getting it back but once it's back and it works I'm more than likely selling it (knowingly selling defective gear is just unconscionable to me) since it overlaps too much with what I already have and what I'll be getting. I will say that it's a fantastic "first hardware" synth that's super accessible, really easy to program, and as long as you know the quirks of it (+75% on the wave sliders send them into overdrive) it can be either aggressive or tame.

Other alternatives to Arturia's stuff is the Bass station II, the Minitar, or the Pulse 2 sounds really good and is 8 voice paraphonic but almost three times what a new microbrute costs.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thanks for the info on the Mini, I didn't know about all that. I can see why a lot of people seemed to be going for the Micro over it then, sounds like Arturia hardware on its first revision is very Apple-like and best avoided! I can't complain being pointed the direction of the cheaper option, and if the keyboard is garbage on both then that's actually kind of good news!

Definitely going to look into the other options, had considered one of the old rack mountable bass stations before... I might have to get one of those little desktop racks at some point as my JD being in a rack on the floor is a pain due to lack of computer control, although the fact my desk is glass scares me a little! But will definitely take a look at the keyboarded version too.

The software Moog do for the Minitaur looks great, I'm guessing most synths will have something along those lines (being able to patch edit on the computer and send the instruction across as it's semi digital or whatever). That makes a biiiig difference if my gear is somewhere its a pain to control at the unit itself.

e: is this the Pulse 2 you're referring to ? Unless they messed up the price, that's still in the right ballpark... UK Amazon price for the Mikro is £250, Mini is £399

Well, after a poo poo load of complaints Arturia finally owned up to the fact that the minibrute keyboards on the first three major productions run were defective and are fixing it for free. The first round of people that have sent theirs in have gotten them back with no problems so it's at least fixed, but if you're buying one used I would be very careful since only the original owner gets the free fix.

The pulse 2 in the US is retail $800 which is ridiculous since the mini here is only $500, so if that's an option then I would look into that one as well.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

EL BROMANCE posted:

* is this dude generally well regarded? I tend to click his videos as he seems to cover almost everything I've looked up at least, and it's nice to have a consistent viewpoint.

He's good however I don't think I've seen a single review of his where he didn't knock something but a good reviewer should always try to find at least one thing wrong with what he's looking at. Hell, he even knocks the A4 and A4 keys but that's mostly because he really doesn't understand or has taken the time to learn how to program elektron gear, but at least he admits it.

Radiapathy posted:

~automation~

That's the issue I had with the minibrute. The USB and "computer control" for it was just setting the velocity and after touch curves along with the midi channel send and receive info. There is CC for pitch, gate, amp, and filter, but I have an MS-20 which while hz/v has been a bitch to navigate around still gives me a poo poo load more options for automation and sound design with other hardware even though that hardware is limited to like 4 things right now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Played around a bit with the SMR-4 Shruthi last night. Here's my noodle: https://soundcloud.com/portervance/shruthi-xt-smr-4-mkii-first-noodle

I placed an order for a white LCD and red flat top LEDs today (among other things) so I'll put some pictures up once those get added to the build.

So this is a really weird loving question, but do you happen to have the dimensions of the XT case?

Also, that's a really fantastic sounding SMR-4 filter demo, probably the best one I've heard since really looking into getting shruthi.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

SableDoux posted:

heh! yeah.

but dat acid tho...

It's funny how something that was basically a huge flop becomes one of the most iconic electronic instruments ever.

By that metric the Aria stuff should revolutionize electronic music in 10 years.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has anyone heard a good A/B of the TB-3/TB-303? Muffs is bitching about the resonance squelch but I don't know if it's them being sperglords. I'm probably going to let go of my 303 if the TB-3 is close enough because holy poo poo at the pice of mint 303s and also lol wafflehound.

Sell it and get this.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Oldstench posted:

So...what have you guys done with your equipment lately?
http://vimeo.com/93923609

Downloaded and started to mess with the free upgrade to the 2.0 software. I may not be super in love with my minibrute anymore, but the sparkLE went from being a decent piece of kit (but I was still looking at some VST's and maybe a sample trigger to fill the gaps) to being the only non-analogue drum machine I think I'll ever need. And on the plus side, the sample triggering is worlds better with it now so right now I'm just waiting to see if the Rhythm Wolf is vapor ware and how good it sounds vs the Volca Beats to have drums covered for me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bolange posted:

Any of you guys have experience with the Novation Ultranova? Assuming it would work as a decent midi controller it's only ~$300 more than the pure controllers I was looking at for a ton more functionality and the ability to play around without being tethered to a computer.

I looked into one when I first started getting back into music and passed on it since at the time it was over my budget (that's totally ballooned over time) and it's pretty solid. Another good thing about it is IIRC the Ultranova can also act as your audio interface with other gear since it has two external in's, and you have the option to use the filters if you want to process external sound as well.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Trig Discipline posted:

I'd had Reaktor for a couple of years without really messing with it, as I got KU mostly for Kontakt and all the associated content. I just started poking around in the Reaktor user content area on NI's site, though, and holy freaking poo poo.

Radiapathy posted:

Yeah. So much interesting stuff.

Aside from Absynth, Reaktor's the NI product I understand the least. Thinking about picking up the Groove3 tutorial on it this weekend. (Much as I love MacProVideo, their Reaktor thing isn't very good.)

Reaktor is amazing, but there is a stupidly steep learning curve to it once you get past the basics which is where I'm at currently with it. I will say that it sucks Razor isn't a part of the sale since it's a really great synth and much more user friendly than anything else I've seen from Reaktor both from the stock instruments and the user downloaded ones. It's pretty much the reason why I still go to Reaktor after getting Alchemy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

So if the RYTM has the same exact sound generation engine as the A4, couldn't you just make every single sound the RYTM makes with an A4?

OH BUT THE A4 DOESN'T HAVE MUSHY PADS TO MASH.

Ok, then use literally any MIDI controller you can get your hands on.

Am I missing something?

I have to say, the RYTM looks cool if I had $1500 to spend on an instrument, I was super obsessed with percussion in my music, and I nothing else to spend money on, but really not getting things like FM or sampler support on an analogue machine isn't a big deal to me. I mean I fully agree that it's an awesome little machine and if someone has one then cool, but for me at least it's just way too much to spend on something when there are a ton of other drum machines out there that cost a fraction of what it does and comes really close, especially when the A4 overlaps with it quite a bit while covering things I care way more about.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

The beats have great sounds for what I'm doing but again, I wish it had big clicky trigger buttons like an 808 or something. Changing up the sequence live is frustrating because the interface is so tiny, especially if your other hand is playing a bassline or pads. Considering a groovebox to replace it until I get a rhythm wolf or tr-8.

Slight update on the rhythm wolf if anyone's been following it, looks like it's been delayed anywhere from 3 months to 6 months since the release date is now "fall 2014" instead of June of 2014 like when it was originally announced.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

This was it (but it's since been debunked as fake.)

TOTALLY UNRELATED EDIT: Anyone here doing MIDI guitar? I want to be able to use a real guitar to do 6-string poly MIDI input into a computer. There are nine zillion options ranging from a hundred bucks to like $4300, and I just do not know where to start. (I also need a guitar, and will likely bug Guitar Thread about that.)

If you're just learning guitar a midi guitar would be like the worst thing to get if you expect to really integrate it into your setup. The technology has come a long way but if you're your not playing in tune and playing with the exact amount of force required then things can go quickly to poo poo so it's really only for advanced players. That being said, I have no idea about a dedicated midi guitar controller but if you wanted to add a midi pickup to a standard guitar then the gold standard is still the SH-075, but it's discontinued so see if one pops up on ebay though I've heard good things about the Roland GK-3 and Fishman being good replacements.

e: And if you're still looking for a first guitar, for the love of all that's holy go to a music store and play every single one of them that's in your price range and then get the one that feels the best to you. I kept my MIM strat from 2000 because almost no other guitar I've played feels as natural as that one to me, although I played a Reverend one recently and it was a close second, but at a grand I'm not getting one for at least a few years.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 30, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DornerHorse posted:

poo poo on me. poo poo RIGHT on me.

Newbie here, just wandering around looking for the right VST... I don't know much, so bear with me.

I'd like something compatible with Live 9 that'll help give me deep chords. Something I can play around with my new set of keys with.

Looking for that 'glossy' 'spacey' sound and without overwhelming this post with links, I'll just put one example. If this Terry Lee Brown Jr. track could be used as a starting point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSNKMeaTKj4

Love.

What's your budget?

If t's free then I don't know, if you can spend some money on it then padshop pro is cheepish while absynth is ok and alchemy is loving mind blowing.

Startyde posted:

So when do you think development of the electronics actually started? Week after they showed the thing?

Sounds about right. They had a ton of interest when they released info on it but haven't done poo poo to showcase it, though I think they've been mainly focusing on the new live/push controllers since those are still suppose to be released soon.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DornerHorse posted:

Willing to throw out 20-50 bones to try something out. Don't want to spend hundreds and end up sucking.

I'll look a bit into your recommendations. Thanks!

All of them have 30 day demo's available (alchemy has a free player) but padshop will be $50 minimum with the pro version of $80, absynth is $200, and alchemy is $250. I've seen 1/2 off sales for everything but padshop so if you're patient you can get it that way and just use the demo's/free version.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Hail Satan!

So here's an interesting site I thought the rest of you would enjoy.

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/

They take old drum machines, samplers, and synths and circuit bend the gently caress out of them... for an almost reasonable fee if you don't account for shipping.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kilmers Elbow posted:

So, hardware is not for me.

Composition wise I'm about 80% VST right now, especially since I got Bazille which everyone should download the beta version because it owns. The only hardware I use when composing is the K2000 because to me it's still the best sounding sampled piano and the hardware controller for spark 2 which really doesn't count. Between the MS-20 and/or VST's with the Mangler I've found they work as a super unique sound pallet to compliment established melodies and excel when I use them to add another layer over a part to really make them pop. Outside of the A4 & an analogue drum machine (or two) I'm getting I'm done with "synth" hardware... but now that I'm happy with my synth setup I've started working on getting gear for my guitar... and because I hate all 3 of the amp/effect VST's I've tried, Hail Satan hardware ahoy. :devil:

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 7, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

Just cop a Tech21 flavor and an eventide or something. Guitar poo poo is so crazy these days. I've got a buddy who has bought and sold an axefx more times than I can count, swaps up his pedalboard every other week.

Right now with synsht I'm composing live, but I'll transcribe it to Midi and then have the computer play what's ultimately recorded. Guitar I can't do that and while dropping $1-2k on a rack effects unit would be a good one stop solution, the Mangler is already stupidly good for distorted guitar sounds so I'm only looking to add the MF Drive, 2 Fuzz pedals, a Reverb, and Delay pedal so the absolute worst case is that I'm still under $1k of pedals and that's getting them retail. I'm also really spoiled since the DAW I use has absolutely amazing native effects... which is good since it's native instruments are utter poo poo. No joke, the only effect VST's I've gotten have been Waves Kramer Tape, OhmBoyz, Quadforhmage, and Bitcom. I'm debating between one of the Valhalla's or Camel Space to spice up my reverb selection but that's all.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Has anyone here made a DIY synth space? I'm looking at room for a mixer, a couple of synths, and Dow speakers but I'm not really jumping to spend much at all. I've been thinking of just trying a kind of wireframe structure out of PVC pipes but I'm unsure of how to go about it.

Kind of.

My day job is drafting/modeling/engineering so of course I've built 3D models of everything I have / want and see what the best way to arrange them on/around the furniture I have and if it doesn't fit then I'll look for pieces of furniture that will work for me. I also do this with my house furniture because moving pixels is way easier than moving furniture.

This is my current midi keyboard stand. I got it because it was cheep, was closest to the desk I'm at now design wise and while it's about 6" too short a 3" overhang on either side isn't a huge deal. It's also easy to move so when I'm not at my keyboard it slides away and doesn't clutter my desk area.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BKPR posted:

Yeesh. This article makes me feel awful. I've made virtually no progress on my "important" music in like a year and a half. This outlines a lot of what I've gotten caught up in.

The article was depressing because with my limited time it really does describe me, but then I remembered after reading #5 I'm not a professional artist and don't want to be. I like my 9-5, I like what I do for money and making music/robot farts is relaxing time for me. If people want to be professional artists cool, but I got back into this knowing that I will never "make it big", or even earn anything over the years from this and I'm cool with that. What give me the most satisfaction is when complete strangers say they liked what I wrote and wish I wrote more of it, or compare it favorably to actual professional artist that I respect/enjoy.

Fame, money, drugs, and groupies where nice to think about when I was a dork in high school with almost no social skills and no girl friend, but I'm 33 with an awesome wife and great job, while fame and drugs seem kinda boring to me now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

Also a reminder both his beloved A4 and 303 are basically thousand dollar dedicated sequencers.

Hey now, the main reason I'm getting an A4 is to sequence my MS-20. t:mad:

Ok, also as a 4 voice synth, but mostly to sequence.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 14, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MrLonghair posted:

You had me at using wheels for pitch and mod controls. Lovely on-board controls, nice rear, fine sound and sequencer, looking forward to that Japanese guy demoing it on youtube for a proper demo of its capabilities.

(On the other hand, two of those are more than a Kurzweil Forte.)

drat. Depending on the features I now get to decide between the Pro 2 and A4Keys. Probably the A4keys because it's less money and checks everything I'm looking for in my next synth, but the one voice of the Pro 2 sounds better than one voice of the A4/keys so it's down to Paraphonic vs Polyphonic and CV capabilities once those specs get released.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

renderful posted:

Maybe try a G flat instead

:golfclap:

But really, try transposing the bass line starting from the one note that's giving you trouble. Get that one right and then move the rest around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Panda Time posted:

Scoping out reverb units, ideally trying to avoid grainy digital artifacts for nice plate and ambient swells.

Budget being aprox ~$500;

• Eventide Space [lots of presets, questionably grainy?]
  • Strymon Big Sky [sweet]
  • Tiptop Z-DSP + Valhalla [expandable, programmable with $150 'Numberz' interface, limited to 8 presets per card]
  • Make Noise Erbe-Verb [digital as gently caress but nice about it]

There's probably some worthwhile 19" rack units out there, but they tend to be ridiculously expensive.

Suggestions?? :confused:

Kurzweil Rumor. Still has some of the best AD/DA converters around, lots of easily modable flange, reverb, delay, and chorus effects taken from their DKFX stuff, and if you're lucky can can get one for $300. I have it's sibling the Mangler and the few shared effects that I have from that unit are fantastic, like Lazerverb!