Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

New thread! Great OP, Wafflehound!

Can people chime in on their favorite effects to use on synths and whatnot?

My uncle let me plug into his Space Echo (RE-201) and holy balls was that fun. I mean, I totally get the love for those things but not for what they go for. This particular one was really nasty and had all sorts of wow and flutter (as I've read it's called) which was cool in my book, but I'd like if it was dialed back a bit. I've known that Boss made a pedal for it, the Boss RE-20, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these and can compare? Because god drat, if I could get that in a lil package for ~$150-200, I'd be golden.

I picked up an Ensoniq DP/4 lil while back, and the thing is fun, if not cheesy at times. I guess like most things, the presets are nothing to write home about. But I do love mixing up phaser/flanger/chorus/echo/reverb or whatever. (Wishing I got the DP/4+ version with the hybrid xlr/line/instr inputs). It is good for vocals and keys, as I like to do.

I sometimes use a black russian Big Muff on my stuff. It really tends to destroy it. Sometimes it comes out cool. Like this song I made with just that pedal and the itty bitty Casio keyboard seen in my picture.

For shits and giggles, here's my setup. I don't believe I've posted it before.

The most colorful one in there is my first keyboard I ever got, a used Casio WK-1800. I painted it up and it's my gigging keyboard. It can somewhat "synthesize" in that you can alter the ADSR for a given sound, but that's about it. Good enough for live shows with bad sound for my shock rock group. At home, I use it for the cheesy drum beats programmed into it. On top of that is the itty bitty Casio mentioned before. A fun novelty that I try to shoehorn into whatever. The big green monstrosity is a digital piano that I rescued. It's a Casio AP-21 that a local school was throwing away (because high school kids trashed the case) The custodians didn't mind if I took it, so I did. I built it a new case out of plywood and stained it a kick-rear end dirty-ocean green. I also turned it so all the jacks/plugs were accessible from the top instead of the back. Being a piano player, I really appreciate the weighted keys and overall feel of it. I use it as a MIDI controller for other poo poo when needed. There's a panasonic tape recorder that I started using to record stuff into, only to be played back into my interface to get that ~*AnAlOgUe SoUnD!*~ Then there's my Korg R3. It is a synth. I sort of really don't like it, but it's done what I've asked of it (which is just the most basic lead/bass stuff, with a lil bit of poly synth in there). I just don't like menu diving. And with this there are pages and pages to go through. But I still like it better than soft synths. Then there's the DP/4 on the right and the Presonus Firepod I record into.

And what do I play it through? An old-rear end Kustom bass amp I got from an old guy on Craigslist. Thing kicks rear end for keyboards. (I've only previously played through guitar amps or, when live, PAs and neither felt right to me. This is solid state, meant to handle low frequencies, and has some built in reverb, tremolo, and vibrato, and I like it.)

What do I wish I had?
-Some sort of drum machine for when I'm playing with myself (:dong:) Considering the Volca Beats, Korg Electribe, or the upcoming Roland TR-8. Machinedrum is cool, but I don't think I could afford it. Frontrunner is the Volca because it's cheap as gently caress and seems to fill its function easily and with everything I want accessible right at the front of the panel. EDIT: ^^^ :haw: Hey there, friend!
-To replace my R3, I guess a synth that can do poly, and at the switch of a button do mono. Also, have most functions accessible by a front panel. :effort:
-Sweet moves for the stage

Anyway, new thread, so I'm shamelessly showing my synthing, and things that go along with it. Now I've shown mine. Can I see yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Wow, kick rear end studio Rotten. I love the write up. All your gear has a story, which makes it as awesome as it is.
Ensoniq ESQ1 is the master platform for the Blofeld. Microbrute up on the case with the Behringer 1207FX mixer. It's something like that. DP4 underneath, with an unused switch.

I like the DP4, but I'd love to get my hands on a space echo too. I like the tape deck idea, sounds neat. I want novelty poo poo like that hanging around, and I constantly see it at my local electronics recycling store.

First, thanks! Second, whatup DP/4 buddy? Your space seems a lot cleaner than mine. Jealous on that. What's meant to go on that second tier, though?

About once a week or so, I go to one of the many thrift shops around the area. It feeds a few habits at once, and on the cheap, too. The tape recorders are less than $5, and work alright for what I'm doing (dirtying up some sounds.) I also go with the dream that I'll find some amazing treasure marked for $0.99

Also, you gonna finish those samoas?
E: :argh: edited before I could point it out!

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 19, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Scatterfold posted:

Ouch. That hurt. :cry:

On another note: my TR606 is getting very crackly/loose-connectiony on its main out. Bearing in mind I've used a solder iron only once (but successfully) and that I've never opened up an analogue synth before, how easy would it be to clean that kind of thing up?

Are there any materials or techniques I should be aware of, or do I need to simply open the thing up and blast some compressed air around...?

It might be as simple as spraying some DeOxit or other contact cleaner onto the jack contacts. Open it up and see what it looks like. Soldering a connection to a an jack is fairly simple stuff, but you might not even have to go that far.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Is there some sort of communal dropbox sort of thing where we could drop .wav files to just do one big collaboration sort of thing? It might be a huge mess, but it'd be neat to just have a repository of poo poo other goons have come up with that we can mess with. Maybe something cool will come of it!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I went to Guitar Center today and just hosed around with a TR-8 for like an hour. It felt reaaalll good.

gently caress, man. I don't have the money for one of those.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

An Alesis Vortex can be had for only $99. Why have I not yet picked up an Alesis Vortex for just $99?

(I do pretty much just leads and simple chords in my shock rock band and I love to dance around while playing. A cheap, keytar midi controller is pretty much exactly what I'd love to use, and would be so much cheesy fun.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My band has had an amazing increase in the number of calls we get for shows* recently. Simply by thanking the sound guy mid set, telling people to go get a drink from _[bartender]_, and asking them to check out the promoter's FB page or whatever in addition to calling out our band name. Cheesy, but they seem thankful for it.

My frontman is great at getting people going and dances for any other band(s) playing and gets the dancefloor lively.

*More than 0 is an amazing increase for us :haw:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Eh, Gaia is a cool babby's first synth if you can get it used/cheap. My friend did just that and learned how to synth with it. Everything is just right there on the front panel. Also SCATTER:catdrugs:D-BEAM:catdrugs:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I don't have an RM1x or whatever. This is what I go (so far.)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

SineRider posted:

Really cool! I stole your idea haha, here is my attempt at making something with only the Casio CT-607 I have. Sorta cheated because it's multi-tracked in Live though

https://soundcloud.com/sinerider/ct-607-pentatonic-jam

Add some space-echo effects to that tape version, bring down the drones and you could convince me this is Boards of Canada.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Putting poo poo through to tape is wonderful.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I have my most efficient song-writings when it's just me, an old lovely casio, and Reaper.

E: It seems the challenge continues until some mid-October holiday.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 3, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sizone posted:

Wait until Columbus day which is, you know, the actual day the challenge ends.

Nah.

I really thought it was September ended. You know, with everyone calling it Synthtember. Also, Columbus Day is a strange time to end a challenge.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Yes, yes, I went back as well. Doesn't change the fact that Columbus day is an odd day to choose, and people calling it Synthtember can cause someone to think that the thing ends when September ends.

E: The "nah" post was supposed to be in a joking tone. And this post isn't meant to sound aggressive. It's just an easy mistake to make. I like a lot of the entries, and wanted to combine them into a playlist to listen to. So I jumped the gun a bit thinking "Oh, SYNTHTEMBER has ended!" v:shobon:v

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 3, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://soundcloud.com/wernotron/sets/osctober

The people have spoken! They wanted beeps and boops! The goons have responded! We have made poo poo robot farts that resemble music!

I just did a ctrl+f for soundcloud and put the relevant stuff on the playlist. If you submitted stuff via other sites, I didn't pick it up. Also, if I somehow missed your song, I'm super sorry!

Can't add it to the OSCtober playlist since it's private.

Sizone posted:

ROTTEN COOKIES
PAGING ROTTEN COOKIES
The time to concatenate all the entries for the now ended synth thread challenge is NOW!

No rest for the wicked, synth goons. The next challenge is upon you. Once a year, usually Rupert Buttermilk, compiles a SomethingAwful Christmas album. This year, we synth rush it. Deadline is whenever the deadline for the xmas album is, usually late Nov./first week Dec.. There are no other stipulations, use what you have/what you want, though I would like to point out that, much like photoshops, the more subtle xmas parodies are usually the better ones.

You heard the man. Get jolly with yer Junos and Jupiters, get merry with your Moogs and Maschines, and eggnog wasted with your Waldorfs.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 15, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

You know what? gently caress A CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

Ain't no reason I'm not gonna try and do both.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

toadee posted:

Would be there but I'm at a fencing tourney (the most IDM of sports)

Since you're posting in the synth thread I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that you're a nerd-gently caress epee fencer.

(like me.)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

For the Synth-Winter album I have three separate ideas for songs. They were supposed to be one thing, but they've split off and I love them all but I don't have enough time to dedicate to all of them. I feel like I have multiple personalities. They are, tentatively and creatively named, Flurry, Blizzard, and Shoveling. As has been expressed earlier in the thread, I'm gonna try and not show anything unless I can fully label it "done" (a.k.a. never.)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://soundcloud.com/wernotron/flurry-tease

This is all I have of my three ideas I originally had. :smith:

That's what happens when I don't immediately work on an idea for a song.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 14, 2014

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

after going years and years without a keyboard, I've decided to get the Minibrute next month; I'm pretty much going to be a beginner at the more complex synth work and was researching it even before I saw it was a recommended purchase in this thread. I previously bought my brother that very same Microkorg, which he is constantly baffled by but just fucks around with it.
What software works well with PCs in regards to recording synth stuff to a computer? I'm talking about actually recording and working with the sounds as opposed to programming patterns into the keyboard. I've tried to look up what stuff is compatible with the Minibrute but haven't really divined much.

Reaper is a cheap good DAW to use that has a fully unlocked demo. It's what I have at least. Do you have an audio interface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

snorch posted:

BONERJAMZ SUBMISSION

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/snorch-repairman

Didn't have time to give it the polish and layers it deserves, but I've been in bed with the flu all day, so done's done.

Holy gently caress this is great.