Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I would switch to VST's if they came up with one my cat could sleep on, but until then I'm stuck with hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Your cat can't sleep on your computer?

iMac

:smith:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

And the latest addition, of which I still can't decide if I actually like it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's what I need: a synth wall. Although how do you comfortably play the one at the top? :stare:

Or is the answer simply "you don't."?

MIDI mind tricks.

A MIRACLE posted:

Sjoewe, post more mixes in the mix thread.

I haven't DJ'ed in quite a while, but since I'm on duty next week at a release party I'll share the recording.
Meanwhile I'm kindda busy sorting my records because I can't find anything since I moved...

:cry:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Did someone call for slow acid?
https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/tr707/s-qjK1t

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Skeletron posted:

Did someone say 707?

https://soundcloud.com/traxus12/polysix-707

I'm just now starting to get back into making sounds after finally having my battery-damaged PolySix resurrected from the dead last week (that's a picture of the old CPU board on the Soundcloud). It takes 30 minutes to get into tune but I'm digging the hell out of it.

Nice. Now I need a Polysix. :gonk:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
So I tried to make some music, and then this happened.

https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/cosmic-love

Do I need to go and see some sort of therapist now?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

renderful posted:

I dig it. What's up with the vocals? What effects?

Thanks. The original sample was pretty processed already, but I ran it through some reverb/delay/chorus and then slapped an ancient vocoder VST called Orangebox on it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Somewhat old news, but goddamn I'm so excited about the Korg reissue of the Arp Odyssey.
Hope they will announce more news and a target price soon, so I can just end my on and off again relationship with the Bass Station.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/02/17/korg-is-bringing-back-the-arp-odyssey/

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Awesome studio, and a truly inspiring artist, to me at least.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I've seen SH-101's go here for 1200 Euro's.
gently caress that.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I'll admit the 60 wasn't cheap, but it had a full service and a MIDI upgrade :colbert:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If I was going to spend 1200 EUR on something Vintage, I'd rather get a Mono/Poly :fh:

Does any one here ever played/owned a Oberheim OB-12?
One came up for sale locally and I just looks so tempting with all them knobs and sliders...

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
It's just a little over budget...
Anyone looking to buy a Bass Station II or a AN/DX 200 :v:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yamaha had an entire line of synths based on that concept, it's the DX series.

So I got drunk the other night and it seems I've promised this guy to be a test-participant in his new FM-synthesis class. :ohdear:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I don't know, it sounds amazing in it's own right and it's incredibly well played, but I can't help thinking that these kind of electronic bands are the main reason a lot of people still dislike synth music. I mean, I never really got the reason why you'd want synths to sound like 'real' instruments, when they can be so much more.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Live Windowlicker cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GfEAaQUR4

Tinfoil over the speaker for distortion is awesome.

Recorded in my hometown :geert:

Edit: Bonus content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 14, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

This is a solid plan!

Just got an Eventide Space in the mail today.

I got a Monotron Delay :colbert:
After seeing the Legowelt studio tour, I figured it would be a nice way to hopefully warm up the sound my DX27 a bit.

Edit: Awfully jealous of that Eventide by the way. That or the Strymon is so high on my list.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 15, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
There's nothing wrong with being utilitarian as gently caress when it comes to making music. I mean creating original material from scratch is fun, but if the result you're aiming for can also be achieved in 10 seconds by just sampling a kick, why beat yourself up about it.

That's also one of the main reasons I like drum machines, the limitations they impose force you to be creative in programming and the rest of the sound design.
Don't overthink it, keep a broad focus. Fun first, musical ethics later.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, honest question, but I know we've talked here about what the "next 909" or similar decade defining synth is, is there any reason not to say Vengeance samples? They're a hallmark of sound design of dance music from the last few years almost to the point of mimicking the 909 in terms of presence.

I kind of get the point, and putting it like this even makes me think you might be right, but I'm not sure if that would be something we should we happy about. :ohdear:

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 16, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I mean, I get what you're getting at a bit, but why not? There are entire genres that are basically defined by the 909 kick or have the open hat (which was a sample) all over it. In a lot of ways the 909 was just as much of an easy button as the Vengeance stuff, it was just hardware so we feel okay fetishizing it more.

Not completely. The 909 was a bottom-up kind of thing, like the amen-break or the hoover-chord. Where people took ownership of something originally intend to be something completely else, and by forcing it completely out of context they created something new.

Vengeance is the absolute opposite of that.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Talking about 909's & Swag.

I'm looking to get an overdrive or distorion stombox for the 909 for a while now, but since 99% of the reviews are meant for guitarists I'm unsure which one to get.
We already have a Moogerfrooger MF-201, which is nice, but it doesn't produce this early 90's stomping house kind of drive I'm looking for.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
'How cool is that!?'

:gonk:

Edit: Stutter is the new Flanger. Now I'm sure.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Quick 'n dirty guide

- Put a 'Utility' on each channel and reduce the volume with -12dB. This gives you extra headroom to create dynamics, without having to tweak the volume sliders until you are ready to make a final mixdown.
- Don't compress your drums, or anything else for that matter, too much, use saturation and drive instead, only add compression at the very end of the mix.
- Assign each drum element to it's own channel
- Choose a short punchy sample for the kick.
- Pan your drums and synths
- Make everyting not panned mono
- EQ out the lowest frequencies (below 100 Hz) of your bass, boost the punchy area on your kick a little
- Put a moderate sidechain on your bassline, preferably with a fast attack and short decay, you only want to make room for the punch.
- Drive the gently caress out of your hats, toms and claps, but also cut out the low frequncies.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77uuDVpsSo

This is so cool. Love the live vinyl sample/no sample thing he does.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
C'mon Waffs, don't let it get to you.

All you need is a little basic knowledge about mixing/composing and some practice.
Just try to improve on your sound design before buying or flipping anything for a while.
Because it gets easier if you are fully acquainted with your synths and speakers.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 17, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
The old ones are very appealing and have that ledgendary AKAI 12-bit sound going , but I'd get a new one, because just being able to slot in a memorycard makes all the difference when you're really into sampling. Or you could upgrade and older model with a CF-card reader, like I did with my S5K, but that requires some handywork.

Talking about sampling and samplepacks. I'm looking for a pack with lush string & organ chords and something with some cool, non-orchestral stabs.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If it's endless pads you're after, just get a Roland D50 already.
Cheap as gently caress and you can get a third party VST-editor thingy that allows you to program it via MIDI.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Startyde posted:

What's this hating on the '27? Shameful.

:respek:

I love my DX. It's like the go to unit for cheap sounds, and if you slap some drive on it's a pretty solid bass machine as well.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

sliderule posted:

One up on craigslist for 450 (CAD), which is a no-go for me. What are they actually worth?

Half, at most.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Most AKAI samplers can easily be upgraded to take compact flash and the later models are fairly easy to work with.
There's just something about the sound of these old machines that keeps me drawing to them. Most of the times I try out my samples in a soft sampler, but when I find what I need, I load them in to the S5K and edit them from there. I don't know, but they just sound better in the overall mix when I do it that way. The sound is very present yet it needs little to no EQ'ing to make it fit in the mix.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Number Two Stunna posted:

To people who use synths with daws- what kind of midi/recording setup do you guys have to be able to use them together?

All of our synths and FX are hooked up to a patch bay, along with a Echo Audiofire 12 (12I/O) soundcard. This way you can easily patch in the synths and FX you want to record. For MIDI I use a Motu Midi-express 128 which allows for 8x16 MIDI channels, so I don't have to daisychain everything together.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Someone buy my Moog/Filter Factory before I have to carry them to Hawaii on Thursday.

Also my wife poked a Novation polysynth thing with delay/reverb built in and now wants a polysynth. What should I get her? She's got a piano and composition background but no idea how to synthesizer.

Alesis Ion, nice VA polysynth with a decent interface and not very expensive.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
In addition to the why hardware sucks discussion:

The bottom line is that if you buy (vintage) hardware and expect it to work just like a real life VST, you're just going to end up regretting it.
The biggest eyeopener for me was that I shouldn't aim for a complete result in one go, but that I have to treat it more like a classic recording studio type of deal.
First I record drums and basslines then some melodies, then FX etc. Then there's some arranging , some editing, then a mixdown.

This works really great for me, and it forces me to keep my tracks 'simple' because you don't want to do a billion takes on 9000 channels when you have to record them one by one.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Got my AN-200 back after lending it to a friend for almost a year.
I was stupid to lend this thing to anyone, it's such a fun machine.

I should get my DX-200 back as well :v:

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 8, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Not that this is relevant (yet) but since there's some ancient AKAI related activity here...
I have a literally a box full of AKAI compatible SCSI hardware including two ZIP drives (internal and external), a CD-rom burner, floppy drive, and some assorted other parts.

If anyone needs something just give a shout, I rather give them away to a fellow goon than going through the hassle of selling them for petty cash on ebay.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 4, 2014

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Startyde posted:

I could use the cd drive, and a external HDD chassis populated or otherwise if you've got one in the pile.

Don't know, I'll look.

Fors Yard posted:

I might be interested in some of it. Was the floppy for a particular S-series model? Not sure if this applies to all, but the S1k are configured for Amiga standards not IBM, and I would imagine later models were otherwise. How are the ZIP drives? I have the SCSI card, so I might be interested in the external one. I do like idea of not being limited to 1.44MB (or in my current case 720kb)

The floppy-drive came out of my AKAI S5K, but I have replaced it with a card-reader I've bought from some dude selling custom AMIGA stuff, so I guess it should work.
The external drive is like new, the internal one, can't tell. Should be okay.

I'll dig out the box and take some pictures of everything.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If you look hard enough you can buy a real Juno-60 for that kind of money. :v:

But proud of my countrymen anyway. :geert:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Here are the pictures of the AKAI SCSI stuff, as promised:
This is all I have left.

http://imgur.com/a/c7NF9
w/ bonus cat content.

- AKAI compatible floppy-drive
- Plextor Reader/Writer that reads these awesome CD-cases piled on top
- Philips Reader/Writer in an external housing
- Iomega 2GB JAZZ drive internal w/ bracket and external
- Additional JAZZ cartridges and cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Drop me an email at sjoewe[at]gmail.com with your location, so I can get a quote on the shipping costs.
Clean weight is nearly at 6kg so it might get a little expensive hauling it across the pond.