Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Noxious posted:

In other news! I just sniped an Alesis Micron for $240 w/shipping on ebay which I'm happy about. I have no idea what I'm in for other than a lot of fiddly menu diving. Anyone else have/use one of these?

Yeah. It is a great synthesiser with a really annoying alphabetical patch system. So if you save MYAWESOME it ends up behind hundreds of other crap presets. I eventually deleted every preset and started fresh, in which case it's good. Sorry but you have to delete them one at a time.

There's two sliders and three edit knobs. You can make a good patch and then make 5 different tweaks that make nice variations. This ends up quite effective.

It sounds kind of/sort of like the Oberheim Xpander. Some of the people that worked on that came to Alesis for this project.

And: http://www.hypersynth.com/ion-editor.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

I've tried to write four different posts now and none of them have been as funny as the raw concept/execution of these Roland euro modules.

But like somebody asked ... how does it sound? I wouldn't be buying to admire the soldering.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

The soldering I could take or leave; I was more thinking about the 450mA(?) of power it needs... or the wall wart. Even the full on Mutable Instruments stuff only needs a secondary +5V.

That's a point. I guess I'm looking at it as a guitar pedal.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

net work error posted:

I think I want to replace my Mopho

Most Dave Smith stuff is pretty boring but the Mopho is in a league of it own. The Blofeld is a complete circus with clown car in comparison.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

net work error posted:

You've lost me completely with this analogy. :(

Clown cars are the best cars (Blofeld is good).

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

MS-20 Mini, or the Roland System 1m. Or maybe the Dreadbox Erebus.

System 1m is pretty good fun, although the patching makes little sense without other boxes.. I'm going to wait for the System 500 modules because the System 100m was a long ago dream, and there's a hard limit to number of modules.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

surrender posted:

Logic X 10.2 is out today and it includes an apparently reskinned Alchemy

As an Alchemy 1.5 owner on my carefully assembled PC based rig they can get hosed.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

So niche is our stupid hobby that even obvious stuff, like quality universal librarians or editors, need to be preserved through hording and piracy

When you can find old MIDI software it often still runs on Windows. I've got editors for a bunch of 90's gear - even Sound Diver runs OK on Windows 7. Don't figure I'll ever risk going to 10.

It's not too different to games. Actually, GOG should sell music software.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
BTW the System-100 Plug Out is cool.

Thanks for listening.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

I used to smoke and I have a dirty house, yet all my gear still works. Quit being so superficial.

Bet I ended up with your Micron. It had to go outside for a while. Unfiltered Camels?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I have a bad feeling I need to pony up for Midi Quest to get the most out of my D-50. Please kill me.

http://www.d50librarian.co.uk/
?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Jfc there's like ten hours of tutorials on Midi Quest in YouTube and this is the most tedious poo poo. Think I'm gonna stick to the iPad.

Dunno how anyone can make 10 hours out of 'it doesn't work for poo poo'.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah my Mini is noisy as gently caress when the filter is closed down.

If you have the tabletop version you can switch between the 1st and 2nd version of the filter. The 1st is horribly noisy, and that's the one in the mini. In the kit you can install the 2nd which is OK.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaand MORE ROLAND LOW LIGHT WOBBLE CAM.

http://www.roland.com/promos/roland_boutique

Look like Polyphonic AIRAs. But different colours means they probably only do one keyboard at a a time. Might go for the Jupiter 8.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

minidracula posted:

Well guys, it finally happened. It was inevitable I suppose. A question of when, not if. I bought a Voyager today. Pictures forthcoming. In the meantime, please tell me how stupid this was.

I hope you like calibrating.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

toadee posted:

So, if anyone has a Nord Modular G1, some dude just realized the headphone output is DC coupled.

So, your Nord Modular G1 is a totally amazingly capable CV/Gate sequencer

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-60892.html

While this is clever, seems like a whole lot of equipment just to do that.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

the best first hardware purchase was a sequencer and due to the way I've come to music making, I don't get that at all.

Probably because it's so simple that you can master it and then find interesting quirks. I teach people music, they roll in with Ableton Live and whole lot of optional paralysis. That usually makes them grab a bunch of premade loops and pile them up to make instantly gratifying but identikit music. With a hardware sequencer you're forced to start with smaller sections, easier to understand and own.

First gear = a Kawai 100F and a couple of cassette recorders.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is the MS-20 mini the smarter buy over the 20m? It's so much cheaper new and pre-owned specimens regularly go for less than $400.

The mini has the type 1 filter which sucks. The module has switchable filter plus a couple of other bits that can make it sound like a MS50.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Are Arturia's software synths any good? The idea of having a Minimoog, Prophet 5 and Arp 2600 just chillin' on my hard drive for a couple hundred bucks is drat tempting.

They are perfectly fine for making music, although probably not for setting up next to the original hardware and making comparison robot farts on YouTube videos. Compared to the originals they are more stable, less 'itchy'. I can compare the Arturia Xpander to the original and it's very close, but stays in tune. The Jupiter 8 is not quite right in the way the resonance sweeps - it's at that level.
The main issue is the interfaces which are tiny on modern screens. I've got an Arturia controller that helps with that, but there will still be some controls you'll have to mouse.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Astro Creep posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Mininova? I've been putting serious thought into either the Mininova or the Microbrute,

MiniNova has 18 voices, each with three oscillators that can self synch, can 'supersaw' with any waveform including the 60 odd wavetables. There's two filters that can be arranged in many different combinations, 20 patching paths, 6 envelope generators, 3 LFOs with complex wave shapes and an extensive effects section. And there's programmable performance controls as well as integration with a VST controller.

Or you could get a microbrute.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But is it better to get the MiniNova or the MoroderNova?

1. You're going to delete all the presets. You are aren't you?
2. Novation stuff is blue or it's just plain wrong. WRONG.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Just got word that Roland Australia have pushed back delivery of the Boutique modules to January 2016.
Which is a bit pathetic really.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

JD-XA for 20% off, or get a modular system?

Do you like more than one note at a time?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Boutique JP08 arrived today and the thing I really want to know is - does ye olde JP8080 do exactly the same thing? They're a lot cheaper.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea what the exact equivalence is in feature set but the JP8080 is pretty deep and powerful and if you can find a one for significantly less than 400 bucks, I'd consider that a goddamn steal. I've never seen one go for less than 500 here. But it's digital at its core.

If you're not married to the idea of an almost exact emulation of a specific vintage analog machine, returning that JP-08 and getting a JP8080 seems far from crazy to me.

I've actually set up the two here and the answer is if you're doing that Fat Roland Horn/Strings thing either will do. But the Boutique does the harsh sounds much much better. Like the cross modulation is noticeably well done. Actually if you cross mod all the way and take the pitch to the very top, the digital glitching and explosions are fantastic. The VCA in the JU08 is very hot. It overloads easily. The distortion sounds like bad analogue distortion, realistic but not musical. I have no idea if that's what Jupiter 8 sounds like.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know why, but when I just hop on youtube and start browsing, nothing from Roland ever really draws my eye. I don't know what it is about their synths but I've never been grabbed by anything from Roland. Can anyone show me the error of my ways, and why I should love them as a company?

You need a tuba in your orchestra?

No, sensibly, I'm the opposite. Started with Roland and worked my way towards the others. Roland is very versatile, it gets you where you need to be in the music you're making. I find a lot of other manufacturers have 'a sound' which is more than likely not going to get me where I need. Prefer Yamaha for the complex noises though.

My worst company is Dave Smith. I buy, I try, I sell again.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

See, what you're saying makes a lot of sense to me. With the kind of work I do, when it comes to synths, I want uniqueness or definite character; I don't want a "one size fits all" kind of machine. So versatility is less appealing to me. That might be why I've had trouble finding anything from Roland that really appeals to me. Meanwhile I love the Microbrute and lust after Moog and DSI poo poo.

A lot of the time, at least for me anyway, is spent on the song writing and as the melody changes the idea for the voicing changes. A mid range sound can be almost what I wanted, which then gets replaced by the more specific thing. Trying to do that starting with, um maybe a TX81z, is going to really restrict the range. But your Roland is going to get most of the way there.

There's also the time and a place - starting out you buy from hock shops and all the ones here in the early 80's had Roland and later on Korg. American and UK keyboards were really expensive. It was only later that I could afford even something cheap by Ensoniq.

Anyway, why not have just one Roland for those milk chocolate moments?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

it's a loving pad machine

Is that good or bad?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

krysmopompas posted:

Waldorf Blofeld

Truth. I made a wavetable out of BEES.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Y'll are making me regret getting an UltraNova over a Blofeld.

That's like wishing you got a coffee instead of a soda. They're both good depending on what's going on.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Do any of the new Roland boutiques have a supersaw? Been craving a JP-8000/8080 forever but prices keep going up and the supersaw is the only thing that I can't get elsewhere. Literally just looking to do cheesy trance riffs/pads... though anything extra would be cool. Otherwise theres the SH-201 and the SH-32 right? Anything else?

System 1 does a supersaw.

SH32 is a fun thing but all sample based. Don't know much about the SH-201 sorry. I didn't know that 8080's were that pricey?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

They're not SO bad but I still feel like they should be maybe $350 (and I'm mad I passed that up a few years ago). I'm pretty happy with the options I have for pretty much everything else it does so I'm not so eager to spend what it's actually worth...

The 8080 is a nice chunky metal rack with full sized sliders that does pretty much all the Roland analog keyboards, so it's well worth it. Watch out for broken or bent volume knobs at the bottom left. The Boutiques have miserably tiny controls on them.

I was all excited to play with a Jupiter 8, and brought home a recording of it. Found that the 8080 could do just about all of the same noises - if you turn the treble up. Only reason to avoid one is if you're getting a V-Synth, as these have emulations of the 8080.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Startyde posted:

If they updated the Ion I'd grab one.

Word.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Agent York Morgan posted:

But what is bothering me is the interface. Does it suck just as bad as the Microkorg? Or does the fact that it has a LCD screen and more knobs make it more usable? I checked YouTube for some demo's of editing patches, but I couldn't get a grip on how bad it actually is.

It's not bad, but it's not completely intuitive (like a MS2000). Your hands have a hard time learning what knob goes where, but it's rationally laid out. The FM and Synch are really important on the An1x and they're about the hardest part to visualise when using the interface.

Why not look at a Radias?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

If you find a really good patch on a modular synth

Trick question!

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

ewe2 posted:

Just bought a novation bass station II! Horribly excited.

And rightly so. Same designer as the OSCar and Wasp and the Supernova, what's not to like?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Cross-quoting Tayter Swift from the iOS thread, since I figured people here might be legitimately interested in this one:

I've been hearing really good things about it so far. Apparently the new APIs (Metal, etc) make a legitimate difference in terms of snappiness and responsiveness compared to older apps like iMS-20.

But you will probably need a new iThing.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, so I downloaded the Model 15 app on Tuesday

Thanks for this. I just don't want a THIRD iPad I guess. But would be nice to own a Moog that wasn't out of tune 99% of the time.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah just wait until I get tenure, I'm going to crank out an album a week.

As somebody with tenure, I have to say that ain't gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

minidracula posted:

Who here has the Arturia V Collection? Two things are making me think about picking up the new V Collection 5: one, the Synclavier V, and two, the discount I get for the moment for buying the whole kit and kaboodle (rather than just the Synclavier V alone). But I wondered if anyone had any trip reports about it. It seems like V Collection 5, which just came out, follows closely on the heels of V Collection 4, so maybe I should expect to be paying upgrade prices inside of a year or two if I wanted to keep current? Or has Collection 4 been out for a while? Also, is Arturia's software licensing thing (ASC) relatively out of the way and non-onerous?

You get the Synclavier, a physically modeled piano (which can go weird) and a bunch of organs that open up to be tweakable. E.g. the Farfisa can be an additive synth. The interfaces can now go huge (and ugly but functional). The patch browser is now good. There's some mention of circuit modeling being added to the synthesisers. I haven't done an A/B but given the CPU doesn't go too crazy we are not talking U-He here. Nevertheless the cross mod on the Prophet seems OK, The Jupiter 8 is no longer branded as Roland, probably as the Boutiques are out.
4 has been out at least a year.