Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Plavski posted:

Can't find that thing in Europe to order. Take my money Behringer damnit!

You can pre-purchase it on bax-shop but it seems they increase the price every week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
n/m I'm dumb

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 29, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trier posted:

Hello. I'm saving up for a synth and doing some research in advance so I know exactly how much I need to save up.

If you need to save up it might not be a good idea to start buying hardware synths. It's only for people who have buckets of money to burn. Trust me on this.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trier posted:

The Minibrute is only 3000 of my local currency, that's about the price of a PS4 or a laptop, of which I have both. I'm not looking to go full modular addict, I just want something I can play some bleeps and bloops on and learn to write some bleepy bloopy songs with and it seems like that's not outside my price range so long as I'm not looking to hook up with a moog (as much as I would totally hook up with a moog if I could)

What I mean is that at some point you will probably want to use a DAW, maybe pay for one. Then you'll maybe want an audio interface. Then you'll find your headphones, no matter how good they are, will never replace feeling those sub bass directly through your body and you'll purchase monitoring speakers. At that point you'll probably feel tired of playing with your minibrute and will want to try something else. Something completely different. It never ends.

But that's just my warning. Do as you please and have fun. I'm certainly having a lot of fun :)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Trier posted:

I appreciate all the advice guys. The DAW suggestions are not falling on deaf ears, but if I know myself I need to be far far away from any kind of computer when I learn this stuff.

You say that now, but the minute you will want to start recording, having more tracks (like drums/leads/bass), using midi or other effects (more delay or reverb or whatever) you'll need to choose either the DAW route (which is easy, relatively cheap, flexible) or the more hardware route (very expensive).

If you just want a fun toy to play in your room with your headphones, or maybe to play on your friend's speakers, then I recommend more a Volca Sample and/or Keys or FM. And they can be quite cheap on second hand.

The more I think about it the more I believe what you want is a Volca (for a starter)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 30, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

FirstPlayer posted:

I just impulse bought a Minilogue; this is becoming problematic.

I just impulse cancelled my Behringer D and replaced it with a Roland SE-02

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
New SE-02 sound demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpKbvRVfI7Q

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
It does indeed

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Something nice showed up 1 month before I expected it

e: today 15 sept we celebrate saint Roland. Couldn't make this up :D

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 15, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Southern Heel posted:

It seems the general suggestion is to get a semi-modular synth first? Dark Energy, etc. ? I did mess around with a somewhat minimal Doepfer setup (which I've since lost the list of), but looking at the set Doepfer suggest - it seems ALOT for what is afaik usable-but-basic:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/doepfer_a_100_mini_modular_system.htm

I think I'd still need a keyboard? I still see a big gulf between keys and midi-information, self-oscillating/step pattern programming.

I have now spent the last hour going through videos of synth playing and I think I'm in that synthwave space. Looking at pretty much whatever is out there in the mid range with full size keys. It would appear that the majority of older analogue synths can do pretty much whatever one would want (Stranger Things being in vogue, it looks like the Juno-106 is about the most modern piece of kit one could desire?)

Right now I'm drooling over the Arturia Matrixbrute...

If you want keyboard + semi modular I'd recommend a micro brute. It's a good starting point. When you tire of learning all it has to offer it will easily fit into your setup and can be used to pilot or sync with other synths when you go full gear acquisition syndrome and want to own all the synths. Don't buy too much too quickly as with practice you'll learn what you like and need but a micro brute will be versatile enough that you won't regret purchasing it.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 24, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Is there performance difference in MIDI Controllers between MIDI in/out and USB inputs?

Been looking around for a small controller with octave control and pitch and modulation sliders, but I just need to know what to get and what works best for me.

Recommending the Arturia Keystep

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Got my volca keys in over the weekend! Spent the first session with it just playing with the knobs and trying sounds, tonight I worked out how to use the sequencer a bit. A big problem I'm having is a constant buzzing when using it with my headphones? Haven't been able to grab another pair or record to my computer to see if it's just this set yet but it's pretty annoying.

Try running it on batteries and cutting the feedback and see if it's gone

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Detective Thompson posted:

A loop effect would definitely be good to have, should have thought about that. A sequencer would definitely be nice to have in the future.

Like I said, I'm just getting into it. It does more than I need it to at the moment, so I'm mostly just curious as to what other folks like to throw into the mix for future reference when I have a better handle on the whole thing.

I bought the tape delay effect from Nux (can double as a looper) and they have a broad range of effects that is good bang for bucks for a hobbyist.
http://www.nuxefx.com/list-49-1.html

Other things that could be nice and not too expensive: a Volca sample for drum machine, a Volca Keys or FM for some sweet polyphony, a mixer (got the Mackie Mix12FX), an audio interface, DAW and a MIDI splitter for when you want more flexibility than the internal sequencers.

e: synths are really a money pit but I'm so glad I started at a time where there are so many options for gear that's both affordable and small-sized. Less than 1 year ago all I had was a Volca Sample and now I have this setup in a small mezzanine room. Not pictured: a keystep, Akai APC 25, Volca FM and some effects.

crappy cellphone pic

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 20, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Like, if I wanted to have reverb on one channel and chorus on another I'd have to look for a different and way more expensive (unless I do it in the DAW) solution?

Yes. That's where the cheap guitar pedal effects come into play. Also the mixer effects are pretty basic and you have no control over them besides level.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Still having a good time making blips on my Volca Keys. I don't know if I just don't know how to work it but the sequencer is a major pain in the rear end but it's workable. My main thing I want to do now is lay down a foundation and then play overtop of that but it seems to not be possible? I might be missing something, but I'm really tempted to grab either a pocket operator or volca beats to make fuller mixes.

The Keys has three voices and you can add them one by one in the sequencer.

For example you can hit record, play a bass line, then stop. Then you change the octave, record and use another voice to play a melody on top. You can let the sequence repeat itself and keep adding notes over top until you reach 3 simultaneous notes. You need to select polyphony for it to work. I don't remember if you need "flux" (no quantization) on though

The main difficult thing with the Keys sequencer is the lack of proper step sequencing. But you can make 64 step longs sequences and record parameters changes. I thought the Keys sequencer was pretty unique and fitting the instrument well even if not super user friendly.

e: but of course more Volca = more fun. They are all valid choices imho and integrate perfectly. I'd recommend another Volca rather than a pocket operator

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 6, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Can one of those commonly recommended midi controllers like the Akai MPK Mini MKII or Arturia MiniLab MkII work on the traditional midi in? It looooks like it's just USB out and relies on the USB connection for power as well, but I've never used midi before so I have no idea what it actually does. Specifically I want to use it to control my Volca Keys but if that works I'd for sure gently caress around with it on some DAWs as well.

Arturia keystep has midi out and can be powered by a usb power bank

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Extortionist posted:

I just picked up an old Mackie 1202 for mixing my synths and ordered some more 3.5mm to 1/4" cables to go with it, but accidentally got TRS/stereo cables instead of mono.

From reading the manual, it looks like the mixer would treat these as balanced inputs--would this cause issues if the sound's coming from an unbalanced mono source (eurorack, MS-20 mini)? Or a supposedly-stereo source like a volca?

I use this stereo to mono converter for feeding my not-true-stereo volcas (so all besides FM and sample) into my mixer and saving some input channels at the same time

https://www.amazon.com/kenable-Stereo-Socket-Adapter-Converter/dp/B004HTHL0W/

Works like a charm.

e: I think I remember using TRS cable to feed stereo signal into a balanced/unbalanced mono input causing sound loss. Either splitting the signal or converting to mono is the best way.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 12, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Electric Bugaloo posted:

the size reference man looks like a real goob

His ears are unnaturally low

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Stopped by guitar center today for a mixer and grabbed a Harbinger 5 channel by mistake, instead of that behringer 8 channel. I went ahead and tried it out because I already had it and there's crazy hissing with nothing plugged in if you turn it up past 50%. Gonna have to return this thing. I also grabbed a Pocket Operator Office and it fuckin rocks, so it wasn't a total bust.

I think the volcas output in mono? If that's the case would I be able to plug two of them into the l/r channels on one of these basic mixers and not run into problems? I'll have three sources with my current setup but don't want to limit myself if I decide to get a meatier synth in a year or two so I'm fine with dropping some extra cash for more inputs than I need right now.

Volca sample and FM are stereo. The others are mono but still output through TRS jacks.

I suppose it is technically possible to feed 2 of them in a L/R channel but then each will be stuck to only one side

e: basic mixers are cheap, don't be shy on the number of channels.

I use all 12 of mine. It adds fast when you also hook a computer and a return channel for effects

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 30, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have an Ottobit and a Polymoon from Meris and I absolutely love them in my synth setup.

I was thinking about adding the Mercury 7 but something in me tells me it's just GAS and it won't really add much that I can't already do with the Polymoon. Also I already own a cheaper reverb with the HoF 2 which is fine (especially with the tone print editor) but maybe lacks some control.

Please thread tell me if getting a Mercury 7 is a bad idea

e: bonus question I'm trying to send my midi clock from the SE-02 to both the Meris pedals which use TRS midi input.

Will this work? Midi to 3.5 TRS jack and 3.5 to 6.35 splitter ? Thanks!

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 3, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Thorpe posted:

Man I’ve been jonesing to rip apart my pedalboard and throw my drum machine through my Ottobit and my polymoon through my Juno to see how awesome they sound.

The sequencer on the Ottobit is super fun and I'm just starting to learn to use it with my synths to create crazy chiptunesque sequences. I just really really need to find a way to sync it with the midi clock to make it perfect.

Yeah I feel the same about their reverb. When I hear it I really want to buy it but I feel like like I'm already fully covered in the shimmer section with the other stuff I have. I feel like less is more and that it will be too much in the mix. But really, just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXkMHnKMJM

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Thorpe posted:

I use their midi pedalboard control DMC-8 which pretty much has that box in it and it controls the pedals pretty well, and control different presets.

That looks like it'll work but really I only plan to send the midi clock signal so this might be a bit of an overkill? The cables were really cheap I'll just try that way and report back.

I mostly wondered if splitting the TRS signal into 2 TS will still work.

Thanks for the suggestion though

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

It won't.

A splitter cable going from trs to two trs ends might work, I don't know.

Looks like you are right, I just saw some schematics of the Midi to jack connectors

Thanks I'll try to find another way to split the signal

e: I just remember I have an unused Belkin Rockstar and it looks it might just work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABPk5lds68

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 3, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Looks like you are right, I just saw some schematics of the Midi to jack connectors

Thanks I'll try to find another way to split the signal

e: I just remember I have an unused Belkin Rockstar and it looks it might just work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABPk5lds68

So thanks to this simple hack I finally managed to sync the ottobit and polymoon with a midi clock and ahahahhaha this is glorious. The ottobit random stutter is like an arpegiator on steroids composing tracks by itself.

They were good on their own but when perfectly synched with the beat they are awesome.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

Is this the ottobit Jr? I'm intrigued by the idea but I really can't open the can of worms that is the 500 series

Yes sorry, the pedal versions. After a few days of learning how they work I really wanted to use the TRS midi sync available without having to buy another midi interface.

I wasn't disappointed. I spent 30 minutes toying with just one beat and 2 notes and they created the whole soundscape by themselves

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah, Digitech makes good reverbs and delays in general. Also my friend (who actually sold me the Boss) just bought a TC Electronic T2 reverb and raves about it.

There's just so many good pedals out there.

The toneprint app from TC electronic is great. It lets you program all kind of crazy stuff like rewiring knobs to become LFOs or to turn a reverb pedal into a chorus or even to turn a knob into a selector for 6 different effects.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Are there any super compelling reasons to split it up on some other gear instead or hold off for a bit?

Do you already have a good mixer?

Stan Taylor posted:

I really like the idea of an all in one jambox thing

If I was rich my next portable/all in one jambox/controller would be the MPC live

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What's this mysterious case in the mailbox today?

Noice

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Noice. Have fun (you're gonna want to get a Brains for that PP).

Thanks, I got all the manuals printed at work, time to have fun now.

Also funny you would say that;

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have the 2i4 and it works fine to integrate all my small synths and control interfaces within Ableton + effects and vst.

The processing power of your PC will probably be the bottleneck.

You will also want a mixer with enough ins and a midi divider eventually to play with all your synths.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

And to think up until now all i've been wanting is an 0-coast. :shepface:

Me 3 months ago, naively thinking "ahah I'll never fall for modulars I know it's crack". But then I bought the 0-coast.

Never go modular. Not even once. Not even the 0-coast. Or you will become one of us.
:awesomelon:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Laserjet 4P posted:

Now replace all the frontpanels by Grayscale versions so that everything's at least readable

ugh no it's not helping

tbh honest I find the original panels fairly readable, coming straight from the 0-coast

Also this piece of gear is really instant fun. I just added a few things like a mixer and a pico drums so I can easily create a more "musical" song. I'm barely scratching the surface, but I do understand now why people love modulars so much.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Behringer doing more teasing

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lichtenstein posted:

Just got a volca sample yesterday. So much fun in such a small box!

It's a lot of fun and was my first step in the world of synths (and into a buying spree). I don't really use it in my studio setup because 10 midi channels is a bit of a hassle, but I love it for everywhere else.

In case you haven't checked this yet; here is a very user-friendly and free sample manager:

https://www.frederikson-labs.com/

Just remember to empty the memory before uploading new sample or you'll get errors, and fiddle with the volume for the data transfer until it works.

Also some free sample packs like a CR-78 one

http://tonyhorgan53.wixsite.com/korgvolcaexpert (bottom of the page)

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lichtenstein posted:

Speaking of sample mangling, one thing I don't really have a good idea for how to use properly is the pitch envelope. I assume it's probably the equivalent of a filter envelope of a synth and is to be used for same kinds of poo poo (like adding attack transients to random bleep boops), but given sampled sounds usually having a bit more shape to them, I really never found any use for it, unlike the base speed knob which is the first setting I usually start meddling with. What are the most typical uses of it?

Probably to add some percussive flair. It's a bit similar to how the volca kick works with its bend and time

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Volca FM is also polyphonic if you like those kind of sounds. Definitely more versatile than the keys

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

I guess this fits in the synth thread:

My google-fu has failed me on this one. Does anyone make a drum pad kit similar to the Alesis Samplepad or CompactKit that ONLY has midi out? Like, literally just 8 or so large-ish drum pads with a USB midi out. I'll be using it with a sampler in a DAW, so I don't need all the sequencer and LED screen bullshit. I found a bunch of cheapo ones on Amazon that look like toys, but pretty much none of them seem to have MIDI out. I've been considering making my own with force-sensitive resistors, but I'd rather just buy one.

Akai mpd218 works great for me as a sampler / drumkit controller over usb midi.

e: akai lpd8 seems to be the smaller version with only 8 pads

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

MrSargent posted:

That's a fair suggestion and I just got an email from Arturia about a discounted V Collection, which includes a Model D softsynth. That's a shame about the Model D, because it really looked exciting. I don't know much about tuning oscillators so maybe you can help me out. I have a Korg Minilogue and every time I start it up, it goes through a Tuning process. This is usually pretty quick and has never bothered me, but are you saying that its much worse on the Model D? I didn't realize that it came with no presets, which would kinda suck for my process. I tend to scroll through presets until I find something close, and then tweak it. I tried designing my sounds from scratch at one point, and while I am glad I learned a lot, for me sound design absolutely kills my creativity when trying to write something.

The Roland SE-02 might be more your thing. It does moog sounds, has presets, a good sequencer, a tuning routine and cross modulation. It's a good synth. If you can handle its tiny knobs.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Pocket operators have new company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mOAZLfxpkk

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

stillvisions posted:

Had a scare with my euro subsystem.

I'm running with a row power 30, after a few hours of use had the entire system light up like a Christmas tree and all audio stop. Like all the lights on every module lit up. Turned it on later to check and everything's working, but after less time it happened again.

The power supply might not strong enough to power everything, but I'm surprised at the low power condition of "turn on every light on every module", so I guess I'll have to start experimenting with the cheap/replaceable modules in that case to be sure.

That or this was my software synths giving me a gentle reminder why hardware is scary.

Did your euro play this after all lights when on ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmcr5FmkRU