Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AnnoyBot posted:

In 3 years it will be a brick due to no compatible remaining IOS hardware --> zero vintage market, forcing new gear purchase.

"After years of development and research Korg is proud to announce the virtual recreation of the legendary Volca Sampler, now featuring sampling (IAP)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I literally only need that piece of poo poo for moving stuff to/from ipad, I don't know how they managed to make such a simple thing so frustrating to use.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

We should open a Eurorack thread in TCC.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe this qualifies for the groovebox stuff. Zoom 234 + Modded Monotron, audio used as CV.
Very lofi.

https://soundcloud.com/wolf-424/zoom234mongotron

W424
Oct 21, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

You need gear, and LOTS of it. :science:

You left out the part about how cassette multitracks are a gamechanger, but pretty much this.
You'll only need about 10k worth of stuff to do primitive sequencing and here's where computers can be helpfull. An Atari ST can be had very cheaply and they are a million times better than anything because modern computers are universally incabable of sending midi (fact). Mixing and such are not important, the cheapest behringer will do, only thing you need is a single stereo file.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I probably wouldn't have sold mine if I'd had easier acces to the "soundz", something like this perhaps?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a vocoder / vocal effects processor. Should I get another synth or just a standalone thingy? I checked out the new Roland gadget but no MIDI / carrier signal input kills it for me

Zoom 1201 if you want ultra cheap.

Edit. Holy lol
http://youtu.be/IdaWuzRRRF8
http://youtu.be/ZMBgatptyI8

W424 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 11, 2014

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

I almost thought about getting a cheap mixer but that would be really lovely to record from and probably isn't a long term solution.

Yeah don't get a mixer if you plan to record anything. I've allways used an interface + converter(s) if need be. Behringer ADA8000 is really cheap for extra 8 channels, I have two ports so I'll just get another if I need more channels. My bandmate has 3 ada8000's currently.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.fi/2014/09/plogue-livenes.html
Tried this with an emulator and xbox360 controller today, my old NES might still be somewhere hmmm.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

magiccarpet posted:

And beyond the manual its really tricky to learn much else via typical internet whatever.
loving sysex

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Firaga posted:

Akai MPK49

Piece of poo poo with horrible pads, something weird with the keys and knobs/faders can start sending garbage data (that you can't disable)

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Firaga posted:

Awesome! Seems like most people are telling me Axiom anyway.

Well I wouldn't recommend a M-audio either, plenty of horror stories about build quality...

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The padKontrol rules.

Yes.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Samplr looks cool but there's no way to automate/record things for playback so it's out

What? It has 3 tracks of automation per part/sample.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

Really?

When did they add this because in everything I've read up on it they never mention it's ability to be automated. Also, can the automation of each track be controlled externally?

It's been there as long as I've had it, I should probably clarify that automation only applies to the playback area but the engines are pretty cool. There's no external control. Still a very noice app.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

waneb posted:

I bought this thing a few weeks ago:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synergy.php

Oh my lord. I recall reading a recent thread on vintagesynth forums about some dude restoring the GDS, they might be able to help.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
The sampler has been the one volca I've been interested in, might have to buy it.

Also the more gearslutz have been crying and bitching about it the more I've wanted one. "It's a loving toy and not a SERIOUS musical instrument like the 303"

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

Arturia Beatstep

Yesss.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

I can't tell whether this is a very late April Fool's joke or not, but Synthtopia just posted a story about a $5,000 music production workstation, which is basically a PC with a 10" screen mounted onto a desk that has a few $100 third party MIDI controllers built into it.

Replace your laptop&controller with a tiny monitor, some of the cheapest Akai and a huge loving box for 5k? Great idea.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Trust me when I say that one cat out of three is more than enough for a Monotron.

Modding it will make it actually usable and adds cats to the score.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: Check out the wicked hand-drawn velocity curves in the editor manual:

Somebody doesn't know about Bézier curves.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

theratking posted:

Thoughts on running synths through guitar pedals?

Some pedals such as distortion might be pre-EQ'd for guitar, usually cutting lows. Otherwise no problem.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

stillvisions posted:

I've sorta come to the conclusion that cheaper gear/more funds can be detrimental to making music if you're not careful, because it's more likely to lead to the cycle of deciding whatever you have isn't enough, buying another piece of gear, barely scratching the surface with the easy stuff it does, then deciding another piece of gear is the thing that will make it all work, repeat.

I totally did this for a few years, no music got made, 'slutz got read.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Is IDM still a thing? I'd hoped it would have died ages ago. Is the term "electronica" still being used non ironically somewhere? Are we still living in the future of late 90's?

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sizone posted:

Where's that interactive chart relating all the myriad subgenres of electronic music? You know, the one where I have every single album used as examples of the various genres that fall under industrial and have never heard any of the examples that fall under anything else.

This is my favorite chart:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

I don't know, I kind of gave up on the whole genre thing when someone told me there was a legitimate drum'n'bass subgenre called 'clownstep'.
There's no recovery from that.

"witch house" was my "goddamn kids" moment.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Fat bouncy basslines, metallic percussion and shouting. There you go!

edit: By the way MrLongHair, you can get just the perfect fat EBM bass out of a Korg Volca Bass. I'd post a demo but right now a friend has my unit

Don't forget some sexy posing

I can also confirm that Volca Bass does legit EBM bass.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

Is the delay on the monotron delay good enough to use with a guitar (or another instrument) during a live performance? I'm temped to get one as a fun thing to mess around with but if they delay is rear end I won't bother.

The delay is analog style so it distorts and mangles with the filter nicely. It hisses some if that is an issue.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Depending on your unit (it varies wildly) it can actually hiss enough that you barely hear anything else :eng101: Not because it's "analog style" but because they're very rudimentary and basically toys.

Fits surprisingly well in certain genres though!

They're pretty amazing toys if you mod them for CV and/or use them as sample sources.

edit. by "analog style" I ment that when you change delay speed it raises/lowers pitch instead of just changing the delay length + distortion on high feedback levels. All 'trons are noisy.

W424 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 6, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Anyone know of some good single cycle waveform sources BESIDES Adventure Kid? 4300 waves isn't enough for me. Any VSTs that come packages with some single cycles? Any resources for wavs pulled from old wavetable synths? So far the SQ80 is the only one I've been able to locate.

Alchemy (rip in biece) had a free user bank, by Kriminal somethin something that had a lot of single cycles from old gear.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AnnoyBot posted:

Hand drawn saw waves y'all. (I actually kind of like the UI on this thing so far.)

Cool synth/sampler, kinda wanted one until I realised how enormous they are.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the size isnt even the biggest problem with the dss-1, its the flaky old dd drive.

Maybe replacable by a card reader? I have a Mirage with SD reader and it makes using it atleast 5% more fun.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I decided not to touch anything that relies on old rear end media when I had a zip disk die when playing live.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

So, uh, very amateurish question. I'm mostly into the video side of filmmaking things, but am looking to start accenting some of my stuff with some audio. I hesitate to say "score" because I'm definitely not a composer. I can play guitar and carry a rhythm, but that's about it.

I'm very interested in some downpaced (kinda trip hoppy) watery/chimey stuff. Sorry for being embarrassingly vague there, but I'm really looking to create subtle accents and undertones rather than flat-out musical numbers. Thus I'm looking to dip my toes in the synth world.

It seems like a Microbrute + Volca Sample might be a fun combination to start with. I definitely want the ability to sample. And then maybe add in other Volca modules later?

I'd be recording to computer, but I think I have that part covered.

I guess my question is... what pitfalls might I not be seeing since I'm coming in so new?

I'd advice to start with a DAW and virtual instruments. You can basically do a album for free on the computer (or throw away tons of money on some out of the box wetdream). The volcas/microbrute aren't going to be much use by them selves, sound will come out and they will be mostly/maybe/pray be in sync with each other but you can't do much about it. I have volca/microbrute and some other stuff as a small unit themselves trough a small mixer that I sample and treat as a noise source, the "real" instruments are routed seperately. The DAW would allow you to produce things vs something happening and knobs twisting.

Ofcourse improvisational electronics are a thing by them selves but it takes time before that starts to sound anything like music/listenable.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Great advice thanks! Is there a DAW thread?

Also I'm more interested in pieces of sound at the moment more than anything that resembles a typical "song" if that makes sense.

In any case working with sound is easier when you have the tools available. Pretty soon your going to want to use effects,EQ,layering etc and they usually come with the DAW, otherwise you'll need to buy a bunch of more poo poo, bigger mixer and so on*.

*youre probably going to buy a bunch of poo poo anyways. It's a sickness.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
When I was looking for a cheap interface for my laptop, Steinberg UR22 seemed like a good deal. Never bought it as the laptop ended up doing vj stuff.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Number Two Stunna posted:

Some samplers will let you run a signal through them, and will convert that signal to mono. If you have a sampler lying around, that's a lot more practical than plugging in the audio cable halfway.

Gearslutz.txt

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Startyde posted:

what is even happening, what is going on

I don't want a modular, but this is weakening my resolve. Noooo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

The Volca Sampler requires USB/smartphone app, the Electribe Sampler does 3.5mm stereo line-in.

No usb, it's encoded audio to sync in on volca sample. The free caustic app works on about anything so no iphone required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

snorch posted:

The timbre wolf looks like it would be a very interesting machine, even if it should lack patch memory. I'm just worried that the synth voices will prove to be incredibly bland and mediocre.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't just the same poo poo that's on rhythm wolf x4 (or how many voices it has)