Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

... analog reverb? Did they put a spring in there or what? I guess they mean just a bbd delay that implements all the effects or whatever.

You guys think $2k street for this bad boy? More?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

The FM-X stuff sounds like the FS1R feature set to me, the skirt parameter was there on the FS1R for example. I guess it probably won't have the format sequencing stuff but I think that was pretty obscure and rarely used anyway.

A shame it's part of an expensive rear end workstation thing though.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hey how about we get some loving power connectors that don't run a real risk of frying the goddamn modules every time we plug them in

thx

breaks
May 12, 2001

If the main use is effects then why not some more? Clouds, Elements (might not fit, not sure of the exact hp), or the 4ms SMR might be good things to look at. A wavefolder type module might be good, or a pedal interface module + guitar pedal(s).

breaks
May 12, 2001

Novation Circuit?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Switched On here in Austin posted that they got a shipment of the Volca FMs in earlier today. They have them on their site so I assume they will ship it if you are looking for one ASAP: http://www.switchedonaustin.com/products/korg-volca-fm

breaks
May 12, 2001

Blocks are fantastic and the new voice controller block they're talking about especially sounds great. The one from Silent Way and all the others I know of don't handle modules/patches that don't scale linearly well, so hopefully the per-note voltage hunting they're talking about for this thing will take care of some of those situations.

Stuff like the Maschine controller and drum blocks are a bit less interesting to me (why not just do your drums on Maschine proper which is really good at that...). I'd rather they do a real nice, modulate-able delay or something with interesting and high quality DSP that isn't likely to get addressed by users - but I guess hardware integration probably falls into the same category. Anyway I'm sure some people will get some good mileage out of it and maybe it will surprise me.

As much poo poo as NI gets they really continue to put out some of the best softsynth stuff around, even if it has been all done in Reaktor for the past several years.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah it could be pretty interesting if it's more of a complement to the Maschine sequencer rather than a cut down Reaktor version of it.

Speaking of software modulars, Softube just put out a short little announcement/teaser for theirs, with more info to come at Musikmesse here in a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawRqNNLmsg

breaks
May 12, 2001

Congratulations on the system man! I liked the little sound bits you posted also, it's always nice to hear modulars being used for stuff other than space farts. Not that space farts aren't great and all.

Passive multiples are literally just a bunch of jacks wired together, so don't try to mix with them. It's like plugging outputs into other outputs which you should also try to avoid. It's not likely to instantly blow something up but it may eventually bite you in the rear end if you leave stuff plugged up like that for extended periods. All a multiple is for is, you plug some signal into it, and then you get a copy of the same signal on the other jacks in the multiple. It makes it easy to send the same thing to several different places.

I really like the Bubblesound SEM-20 as kind of a standard filter module, and the Erica Polivoks or Dtech (which is an extended version of the Polivoks) are great character filters that are a bit gnarlier sounding.

For envelopes the best advice I can offer is AVOID the ones that are just standard ADSR envelopes with few modulation inputs. Get one or two you can really modulate the poo poo out of, whether it's the whole slew/AD/AHD thing like a Function or Minislew or VCS, or just a flexible ADSR like the Doepfer A-141-2.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Intellijel uMod is great, works as a ring modulator or VCA. The oldschool one is 4hp, I think the revised version is 6 and adds some analog logic outputs.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I haven't used a moddemix but I think it tends to distort really easily or something like that? I remember hearing there was something kind of funky about it.

Re: uses of ring mod it can also be nice to control the modulation with an envelope, so you get the sidebands on the transient and then decay into a more tonal sound. But yeah it's one of those things that easily generates inharmonic tones so you have to deploy it tactically to get good results.

Also in a modular context ring mods double as a VCA. It is basically a VCA that will take a negative voltage for the amplitude control.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Don't forget that you can also turn it into a little vactrol envelope if you run some steady voltage into the input and strike it. Can be fun for controlling FM amounts or whatever.

breaks
May 12, 2001

_Dav posted:

Oh my, my brute broke... Anyone had to deal with Arturia support before? I've submitted a 'support ticket' and have heard nothing for 4 days now...

The biggest bummer is that it's literally not left my room, traversing the distance between a desk and stored every so often for the past four months. Pitch CV out seems ok, but gate In/Out does nothing, keyboard is unable to trigger envelopes and thus no ability to make noises.

I just had to deal with them to get a new filter select knob for my minibrute because the old one flaked out. It took them almost two weeks to respond to the initial inquiry, and then 3 or 4 days for each additional response beyond that. Also they were a little rude, I don't know if it was the language barrier or just them being French. :shobon:

They did send me the part without charging me anything, though I still have to pay someone to replace it (as I expected since it's long out of warranty).

breaks
May 12, 2001

In re mixers specifically they make rack cases where the top part is a second rack intended for a mixer and it can be set at a convenient angle for working with it and so on, so you might look into those especially if you're going to have some additional rack gear.

breaks
May 12, 2001

That's probably what you want to do, yeah. If both channels aren't identical you can try the other or hard pan to one side or another, if possible.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I think it has some sequencer features that the mini doesn't? Not sure what else. I have and like the mini, but the filter type selector crapped out past the warranty period and was not a cheap repair (though Arturia did send me a free replacement part).

breaks
May 12, 2001

Personally I've been paring down from 254hp to 104hp plus a little 1U stuff. There is some really cool and useful stuff in euro but with blocks and whatnot I personally have much less desire for envelopes and sequencers and poo poo in the rack. I just use blocks for that stuff since I am always using it in conjunction with my computer anyway.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Reaktor and an ES-3 works great for controlling a modular if you are fine with the DAW workflow, that's where I'm at nowadays with mine. CV from the DAW and the audio stuff in the modular. Stuff like a Function is still good in the rack since it also works as an OSC, waveshaper/filter, etc

breaks
May 12, 2001

I'd probably ditch the disting if going the Reaktor route, but of course it depends on your usage. Reaktor kind of serves the same purpose of being able to do lots of different poo poo though.

And yeah if you have a DC capable interface you may not need the es3, though it depends on how many outs you have. Getting most of your CV from the DAW you can really burn through em, I basically never use less than 4 even for simple patches - pitch and some combination of gates, envelopes, and lfos. And I can easily use all 8 when I start getting ~modular~ with it.

breaks
May 12, 2001

So I'm replacing some wavetables in my shapeshifter and I was going to but some of the galbanum waveforms in there. But they are 2048 samples and the SS wants 512. Any of you guys know what the best practice would be for converting them?

Also if anyone knows of some good software for making 512 sample waves for wavetables, that would be awesome too. I tried audioterm but I don't know if I can put up with that interface.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Hey dudes, is there anyone around here with some modest pixel art / graphic design skills who would be interested in doing a little art for a Reaktor Block I'm making? It's a gate and velocity sequencer and basically I just need 13x13 icons for off, on, and tie. I can give you detailed specs in PM (or just reply here if you don't have PMs I guess).

Here's what it looks like (please excuse the obvious unfinished/prototype stuff): http://imgur.com/a/vJE23

As you can see the tie icon is especially lovely right now so I'm open to suggestions on that. Bonus points if you wouldn't mind creating some little 5 frame animations for off->on->tie->off.

I can't pay you with anything except the fame, glory, and 5 or 6 user ratings that come with from dozens, if not hundreds of user library downloads. Of course I will credit you in the UL description and the instrument tooltip.

I'll cobble something together if noone is interested but just thought I'd ask. :shobon:

breaks fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 2, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Intellijel is supposed to be expanding their 1U lineup pretty soon as well. I'm pretty happy with the ones that I have gotten from them (audio i/o, quadatt). It's unfortunate they didn't use the same dimensions as everyone else though.

You should also look at the Shapeshifter if you are interested in complex oscillator style modules. It's digital but then again you have four distings in there. It's very high quality for all the internal stuff (runs at a sample rate of up to a few MHz internally), and still nice when using the external inputs also. In general it has a more precise sound than the analog complex oscillators. Aside from being digital in the first place it can lock in exact ratios for FM, though you can also disable this. It does a lot of extra stuff on top of the usual two oscs + wavefolder setup: many sync modes, wavetables, waveshaper mode using any of the wavetables, a combiner for the two oscs with ring mod, analog-style logic, and a couple stranger modes, simple delay, an internal percussive envelope, chords, by the way it's also a vocoder... The interface can take some learning, though it's very fast and easy if you take the time to understand it.

breaks fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 9, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Startyde posted:

honestly I'd dump the z-dsp. I think it makes sense in a large system especially if you want to stay in the modular for fx but nothing I've heard from it has ever wowed me vs dedicated FX units. That and you're already getting some fx from disting/clouds.

Yes the Z-DSP would be the first thing I would remove, especially if you mostly want it for the Valhalla verbs, since you can just go spend $200 on his plugins instead and get dozens of algorithms in better quality. Or just spend $50 on your favorite one. But if you hate computers then whatever.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The shifty has the analog logic type stuff built in with the combination modes. You can sub an external signal for one of the oscs with those, but not both. A caveat there is that the Mod A input you use for that is AC-coupled and you only get one logic mode at a time, which limits some of the techniques that you can do with dedicated analog logic sections on other modules.

No direct equivalent to S&H or rectification, though you can patch half-wave for anything easily with most VCAs + a DC source, and I guess you can probably patch something similar to fullwave with the shifty's pulse out in +o1, +o2, or -o2 modes, a ring mod, and an inverter or two.

The shifty has no shortage of ways to gently caress with the sound though. It does an okay job of focusing on stuff that you can't really patch with other modules (and would be even better if they had really committed to that direction I think, but again IMO it's also one of if not the best oscillator in Eurorack already, so talk about pointless bitching).

The first three utilities I'd put in almost any rack would be any attenuverting mixer type module, Function, and Cold Mac, but of course this is far from the only valid way to do it, just my preference. A lot of that kind of thing depends on how you want to go about avoiding overlapping functionality (or intentionally overlapping stuff you want doubles of).

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 15, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Bitwig 2 is really cool, the new modulation scheme is great and the interface tweaks are nice. I recommend giving it a go once you get beta access or the demo comes out or whatever.

I don't have much to say about dates slipping for features or pricing scheme or whatever. If you really think it's so much better than everything else it's tough for me to see how the price is unreasonable, but ymmv of course.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I'd think about that new intellijel 4x vca/vc mixer, not sure when it's out though. There are similar things from mutable and bubblesound, but based on my experiences with the uVca I think I'd go with the intellijel.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Aside from Max/MSP, Reaktor 6 with (included/free UL dls) Blocks is also really good for modular sequencing sent out through an ES-3 or whatever, if you don't mind getting the computer involved.

breaks
May 12, 2001

W424 posted:

It's not that great trough ES-4 ☹️ (doesn't loving work)

Hmm, it should work with an ES-4. But you need to get the ES-4 Controller from Silent Way. I think the ES-4 Controller part of Silent Way works normally even in the demo mode so you don't actually have to buy it?

It's definitely less straightforward than the ES-3, but it should be possible to get it working.

breaks
May 12, 2001

W424 posted:

I have the free controller and a template from muffwiggler, the consensus there was that it just doesn't work with blocks. Or at least that was when I upgraded reaktor to 6.

I'm on an ES-3 myself so I can't really help that much, but it's all just arbitrary audio, there's nothing special about Blocks that makes it work any better or worse than anything else does. It's a kinda rare combination of stuff so might be just nobody has documented exactly how to set it up.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If it's $200 flat and you really need low end my recommendation is just get some headphones. Sane dance music low end in a room costs thousands, you need speakers that get down to 40hz or less plus room treatment that gets rid of any deep nulls all the way down to that point and it's just not cheap to do that. Headphones have their own problems but they aren't as bad as not being able to hear what you're doing at all.

That isn't to say you shouldn't also have speakers, you should, but if you can back-and-forth it with the low end on headphones and everything else on speakers, the demands on the speakers and room are an order of magnitude less and at least that much cheaper.

If I had to choose one or the other I'd just go with headphones, but lots of people would disagree I'm sure so ymmv. Focal Spirit Pros are pretty much perfect if you can actually get a seal with them but the cup shape is so lovely that for most people they don't seal and you lose the whole bass end and so they're poo poo. M50/xs are not as good but at least seal properly on pretty much everyone. Or pick whatever headphone as long as it's solidly audible down to 40hz-, it doesn't really matter, you can learn to deal with anything as long as you can hear it in the first place. Just make sure you can actually hear what you need to hear before you pay for it.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The development of MPE ended up being kind of a collaborative thing between the people making those instruments and some of the niche daws, and I think Bitwig in particular.

breaks
May 12, 2001

At least with modulars usually either the CV is added to the knob, or the knob becomes an attenuator/attenuverter for the CV. I can't think of any exceptions offhand. Should be similar for prerouted synths with some CV inputs.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Man I thought I’d sworn off hardware synths aside from my one row of euro but the modwave from that batch of new Korg poo poo is making me think about it. Looks like a really fun synth at a pretty reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yamaha actually has a decent little collection of articles here: https://yamahasynth.com/learn/synth%20-programming/fm-synthesis-collection