Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I'm looking for a Roland SC-55 and there is someone selling a 155 in my area. If anyone here is familiar with it, I'm wondering does it send midi CC for the faders?

Edit, looks like it does.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Is "I'd be surprised if he isnt becoming the synthesizer version of Glenn Greenwald." too long for a thread title?

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Why, does he say to not buy their stuff?

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Boody posted:

We should all buy it because it's TE and it's cheap. Also claims the field desk is $200 (it's $1600). Kind of interesting to be reviewing a product before they own it.

I've had crap experiences with TE support before, noticed is at least one video on youtube showing someone who received the ep-133 with a dead slider which they had to desolder, take apart and rebuild.

If I am reading the specs correctly it has 64mb internal storage and no sd card slot, which makes it a no go for me even without the quality issues. But I guess I am not the market for it anyway since I don't like the design.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It's a fairly saturated market; what seperates this from any other thing besides TE branding and a reasonable price point given TE branding?

It's still close to SP404 money.

I may have been wrong about the storage, I think it's 1gb and the 64mb figure refers to the RAM. Still there are a range of options for portable samplers now and if I was going to buy one I would save for something with more space for resampling.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Laserjet 4P posted:

More space requires more expression requires a bigger display

I don't think that's how it works, but it would explain the display on the EP-133.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

The reveal for the Sonicware Mega was a no for me. Trailer with Mega Man 2 and Super Metroid references and generic "chiptune" music, Yuzo Koshiro replicas that sound like he had to use a crowbar to get them into the thing, interface with unclear sound shaping controls that suggests an unrevealed overlay. It feels like they are selling it as a geek badge instead of a genuine homage, and it will take some Ys 3/Strider/Mega Turrican/Road Rash etc demos to sell me on it.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Startyde posted:

On the one hand I wish the maker of masterpieces like the RS/QY would drop something a little more sophisticated than boxes from a quarter century ago, but hopefully it’s a toe-dip. Looks to be a great effort especially on the connectivity. Putting on my seer cap I bet, with their bothering to do branding– “Make Waves,” that there’s a bigger sib to this coming down the pipe if it splashes in the market. :9

Yeah there has been a QY700 sized hole in the market between 16 step grooveboxes, MPCs and workstation keyboards for way too long. Another handheld QY would be welcome too although there is some competition in the handheld tracker lane now. A dedicated MIDI sequencer with modern features (custom soundfonts, realtime step edit, usb etc) that isn't yet another x0x is one of the only new types of gear I would be interested in.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 18, 2024

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I am really interested in what the guys selling Nazi torture devices think about politics.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 27, 2024

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I like Suzuki and I'd like to see them make more music gear but for 800 they could have put in a full midi port.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

flubber nuts posted:

Ok so sending note length cc from the tracker seemed to fix it. I usually regret sharing my sounds but I think it's starting to sound sort of like music :)

https://soundcloud.com/codeprefix/1a-1

No experience with the SH01a, sounds like it may be a setting internal to it, but you can also enter note off events in the Tracker which may help.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

VirtualMIDISynth can do a lot of SNES and PSX style stuff.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Rolo posted:

Ordered the DX.

I own the Reface DX(love it) and the J6(love and hate it), while they are almost total opposites I think you made the right choice.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

rio posted:

Has anyone here happened to use a Zoom R16 as an audio interface with synths? It apparently will take 8 channels acting as an interface, which would solve a lot of my tracking issues. I’ve seen some comments that it overdrives easily and needs attenuation, but I don’t think anyone I saw talking about it elsewhere was using synths.

I was also looking to see explicitly if it will let me have 8 inputs at the same time when acting as an interface so that I could have two external synths and four tracks from the drum machine all playing/recording at once in Logic (and keeping my guitar and mic plugged in all the time on top of that would be nice, or room for future hardware). It also acts as a portable recorder which is pretty cool, but my main thing is getting 8 inputs at once into Logic.

There’s a guy who is selling two of them for 180 bucks each but it’s an hour drive each way so I do t want to get there to find out it isn’t what I would want.

Haven't used it but apparently it's 2 outputs in interface mode so it would just send the stereo mix out to the DAW, not the individual tracks; sounds like you are looking for a multitrack interface.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

If you want a multitrack mixerface then the entry level is stuff like the Soundcraft Signature Mtk12(14 in, 12 out) or Tascam Model 12(12 in, 10 out, built in recorder). If you are mixing in the DAW anyway then the Behringer is worth considering because has more I/O at a lower price.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 14, 2024

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Flipperwaldt posted:

The R16 in audio interface mode has two outputs which means one stereo pair of audio coming from the computer, out to the speakers. It has 8 separate inputs going into the computer.

Oh lol I have been looking at it all wrong, in that light 180 for an 8 channel interface with controls isn't bad. I would personally go for the Behringer since 8 tracks run out quick with a drum machine in the mix, I have an old Yamaha KM802 that I use as a submixer just for drums.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I recently started having a strange issue with the audio out on the Roland J6 that no other gear has given me before, I wonder if anyone here has encountered something similar. The mix out/headphone jack distorts the left channel when using headphones, but sounds clean when running through other gear(tested with a TRS to RCA cable into a Sound Canvas, and a TRS to dual TS into a Tascam DP). Tried factory reset, thorough cleaning, different headphones and charger, nothing seems to get rid of the distortion except running the output to something else first.
It wouldn't even bother me too much if it was both channels but it's just the left one and it's annoying. Only guess I have so far is maybe the headphone cable tips are more worn down than the splitter cables' and I need to tighten up the jack on the J6 somehow.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 22, 2024