Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've played around with VST synths in the past, but after watching "I Dream of Wires" on Netflix, I want a modular synth SO BAD :stare:

gently caress

What's the cheapest that one can get away with fiddling with patch cables and knobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MockingQuantum posted:

Speaking as someone who just got into modular, I currently have three modules sitting around doing very little and a bank account that can't support any more for the moment. It's significantly less satisfying than just buying a single unit that does cool things without needing multiple other less cool things to support it.

This is pretty good advice, and probably the reality check I need. There's a big difference between "gear I will love to look at" and "gear I will actually use".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

sliderule posted:

There are also virtual modular software solutions if you're just looking for ultimate configurability. It's not tactile, it's not analog, but it does provide you with the ability to architect a synthesizer voice from scratch. You can fiddle with (virtual) wires this way, and if you grab a BCR2000 or the like you can twist knobs, too.

Reaktor and Max are each pretty powerful. Then there's Patchblocks which shares the visual modular paradigm, but is less powerful. It's still in Beta though, so it's growing. The editor/emulator is free, so you can always download and play with it. The bonus is that you can export the patch to Patchblocks hardware if you want to get back to the analog domain.

Then there's the Nord Modular / G2, but I don't know what that would cost and you'd have to deal with ancient hardware to program it (I think).

Patchblocks looks really cool. But... I can see it being a flash in the pan and not really gaining traction. But who knows!

I think my short term is to get an MS-20... but I really like the idea of VSTs, and getting something I can use as a MIDI controller as well. I have a lovely old M-Audio O2 that I use as a controller, and that's honestly about as far as my hardware synth knowledge goes. Everything else I know has been software.

Can the USB port on the back of the MS-20 turn it into a controller as well?

Sorry for the stupid questions :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I like to think that there are no speakers, that those fuckin' dorks are just staring at their blinking lights while saying to themselves, "yeah... oh yeah... that's nice... *twiddles knob*, ahhhh... yeah...".

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
After years of VSTs, and weeks of mulling over my first piece of hardware, I've got a Korg EMX-1 on the way to me :ohdear: I'm unreasonably excited but it's a lot of money for a poor guy like me!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Verdict: the EMX-1 owns, for a dated piece of kit.

Literally an hour after unboxing it, I had figured it out and was making as least passable patterns. Had a little fun with it:

Not saying it's a good track, that's just me fiddling with knobs for a minute using some simple patterns I keyed in.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mr. Sharps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM6eUtF4rw

Time to put together an album I guess.

:swoon:

I'm in love with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Can someone tell me how to direct the aliens to my house please?