Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I don't think I even like electronic music but I've probably watched a good hour or two of op-1, organelle, and minilogue videos over the last few days. If I call these things pieces of art (like the guitars on the wall) then it seems less ridiculous.

The idea of being able to fiddle with the op-1 on my commute every day is pretty appealing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I can't see a situation I'd use it in daily unless you take commuter trains in from the suburbs to be honest.

This is not quite my situation, but close enough. Uncrowded public transportation for about 30 mins each way every day. Right now I basically mess around on my phone reading immediately forgettable stuff. Thanks for the input on how you use it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Any chance of an op-1 bundle type deal for labor day? I know they don't really go on sale, but a case or something would be nice.

Any suggestions for where to look?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

inferis posted:

Get him an op-1 with a strap

Everyone should buy an op-1 regardless.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
My op-1 won't turn on or charge :(
I'm not looking forward to the repair hassle and the idea that this might happen again at some time in the future.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Startyde posted:

That board is on a ribbon cable, it might just need to be reseated.

I'm working with support, but it feels more complex than that - it starts in boot loader mode just fine (so I know the screen works, etc). The current suggested plan is to fully deplete the battery and see if we can basically start fresh.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Plavski posted:

So I love my Novation Circuit but I'm looking for the next step upwards as I'm starting to hit its limitations in its pure hardware state - I don't like going to the PC to sort out synth patches and sampling is really limited.

I love building everything in a single box before throwing it all up on Ableton for the final leg of the journey. This means that I don't necessarily want to write the whole song in the box, but rather get loads of parts that I can put together afterwards. I'm limited in space, so a minimal setup is always preferable to five different synths/drum machines, etc.

So what's the natural progression onwards from the Circuit? The Digitakt? The OP-1? The MPC Live/Touch? The Octatrack?

Go watch every Red Means Recording video on youtube and then buy an op-1.

He does a ton of composition on the op-1 and then a heavy amount of work in ableton afterwards...he even has videos covering some of the ableton side of things.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Re: Blofeld stuff from a bit back - has everyone just shifted to software? Are there no new-ish knobby dsp synths? I just have an op-1 and a pocket operator and some guitars and stuff. I'm not an analog purist, so the idea of stuff like tens to hundreds of voices, multitimbrality, etc. seems really appealing, as does an immediate and intuitive interface, but there doesn't seem to be much in this space other than buying a nice midi keyboard/controller and going software.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Skipping drugs chat -

My 7 year old has been using my pocket operator to make beep boop noises. He's also enjoyed the little bits synth kit, and (with supervision and help) fiddling with the op-1. What's the next logical step up? The Novation Circuit seems obvious - it's relatively inexpensive, it does the grid/pattern thing, it's self contained.

Other ideas?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Stan Taylor posted:

Going on a trip in a week and realize I ought to get a travel case for my OP-1. Anyone in here have a suggestion on those hard cases with the foam liners. It'd be cool to have it a little roomier so I could toss in extra cables or pocket operators or something too.

I have the unit portables case which isn't really a hard case, but it's a bit more than a soft case and it works fine. I can fit the antenna, charging cable, and a set of earbuds in the extra pocket.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Arg. I previously talked myself out of wanting one of these since I barely use the stuff I have, but I'm such a sucker for great design and thoughtful product designers / owners.

You aren't helping. Please continue not helping by letting us know what you think of it when it arrives.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know of a grid based sequencer for ios like Auxy that does midi output?

I really like the interface of Auxy. It's very well designed, has an intuitive way to do automation, etc., but also doesn't generate MIDI at all. It's self contained basically.

Fugue Machine looks part of the way there.

Anything else?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

massive spider posted:

bought an el capistan to go with my minilogue

https://clyp.it/ck5vi1jm

el cap was my first expensive pedal - it's probably still my most expensive one - and I have no regrets. I love the texture on that clip.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Cheese Thief posted:

Same. It's at a good one. At the time I didn't like it because it was hard to make sense of, but it's great. People share their settings online if you need to somewhere to start

I just dime the wow and flutter and adjust repeats and time situationally - it's great.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Base iPad will be just fine. I just started with this stuff a few months back.
Aum ties everything together
Patterning has a few version and does fun drums
Borderlands is granular and ambient and pretty
Tardigrain is granular and melodic
Fugue machine and xnthesizr are good sequencers
Auxy pro is self contained and with the free version you can knock out fun multi track things quickly

Sound wise I haven't really paid for much yet.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. So with the base ipad, which I believe has the lightning port, can I connect a MIDI controller through some kind of connector that gives me a USB-A port, and then do I just use the headphone jack to get around out of the ipad and into my audio interface/sampler/Elektron box/etc?

Ideally, for whatever kind did ipad I get I'd like to be able to connect my Keystep to it, and then route sound out of it into like interface or Digitone, or something like that. I presume with the base ipad to need some kind of lightning to USB adapter.

And I guess with an ipad Air you'd need some kind of USB-C hub that give you both usb-A and an audio jack?

Though I haven't personally bought anything yet, the basic answer is 'yes'. You buy the lightning camera connection kit from apple which gives you a usb port. Depending on your power requirements (and whether your controller does midi over usb or through the big plug) you just plug the controller into that usb port, or into a powered usb hub. You could probably just use a stereo cable into the headphone port to get audio out but I'm not sure how high quality that would be.

Since you want an audio out, too, the normal thing is to get a powered usb hub, go ipad -> camera connection kit -> usb hub, and then plug a class compliant usb interface into the hub too. Then you plug your keystep into the interface and just use an audio output from the interface to go wherever else you want. From what I've read, the new Motu M2 is a great minimalist interface that should work.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Possibly dumb question about midi:
I'm working on getting my iPad and pc integrated. I'll have an audio interface for each (each with midi in/out) ports. I want to be able to run a sequencer on either the iPad or the pc at various points. I also will have a midi controller that I want to use to control both iPad and pc things. It has 5 pin midi ports. For extra credit I'd like to get my op1 to be able to receive midi too (via USB).

I want a big unified midi soup (ideally with physical cables) so I can pick and choose per project. Does that even make sense?

I'm missing the mental model for midi basically. For devices with both midi in and out, is Out the union of everything sent In and everything the device generates or just what it generates? Do audio interfaces do this differently by default? If my computer has the op1 plugged in via USB, can the op1 see whatever midi messages arrive on the midi in of the pc audio interface?

Will this work?
controller -> iPad interface in
IPad interface out -> pc interface in
Pc interface out -> iPad interface in?

And then plug the op1 via USB into either the pc or the powered hub the iPad and iPad interface are connected to?

I'm haven't bought the second interface yet but as I'm contemplating something expensive to get enough i/o I'd love to avoid having to buy another box just to route the midi around.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Stoca Zola posted:

helpful stuff

Lead out in cuffs posted:

also helpful stuff

I think the main insight here for me is using a DAW on the pc or some software on the ipad (AUM?) like a virtual patchbay - so the idea is that the messages go wherever I tell them to. It remains to be seen whether I can enable some sort of 'thru' mode on the controller for the out port to let it daisy chain.

Thanks for the help!

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I made a thing in between coaxing my seven-week-old kid to sleep. I think it sounds pretty OK.

https://soundcloud.com/user-576305780/pablum-musicbox-lullaby

It took a while to find a decent musicbox VST, but turns out Spitfire have a good one for free.

Nice! I like how it evolves and layers.
I've been really impressed with the spitfire labs stuff - but I'm also a sucker for choirs and strings and all the stuff like that they have.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah, probably don’t rebuy it. The Switch version is a total joke compared to iOS/Android but it’s not really a useful enough app to me where I’d be clamoring to get it again. It is neither the strongest group of instruments available on the platform nor the strongest DAW.

Off the top of my head:

Animoog
moog model D
Moog model 15
Patterning 2 (iPad only)
Samplr (iPad)
Fugue Machine
Figure is a fun little sketchpad with rails
Any Korg app aside from Gadget 2 unless it’s on sale
AUM/Audiobus 3
Many more (it’s hard to recommend apps that aren’t exclusive to iPad)

The best thing with ipad apps is that they are all so cheap. This is a great list. Note that the old version of patterning works on iphone and is free.

If you want totally stand alone, Fugue Machine is lots of fun. There's also a free version of Auxy Pro that you can make full songs with using the few built in sounds.

If you want to go beyond free, get AUM. It's a big hub / patch bay thing to connect everything together. You can then use Fugue Machine or something else (xynthesizr, etc) to be your sequencer, load up animoog or any old free auv3 to make the noises, drop in patterning for some drums, etc. and then you're off and running.

Here's an easy intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d12SNIcO32Q

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Does Ableton Link actually let me playl iPad synths from another device or is it only for MIDI clock sync? I am trying to control an iPad synth from my MPC One but I think I'm missing something super obvious.

Link is just timing and start stop. You should definitely be able to play your ipad from another device, though. Depending on how you have the ipad and mpc one connected it should just work. I find AUM really helpful for this stuff even though it's not required in some situations because in the MIDI routing menu stuff lights up when it's sending / receiving and it's easy to make connections.

At the very least check which channel your MPC One is sending on and make sure your ipad synth is listening on that one. Some ipad synths make you explicitly enable MIDI, too.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Yeah that gives me enough to go off. I was hoping that Link would let me play over the network, even if I had to physically route the audio back in through a connector, but it sounds like I just need to get a proper MIDI adapter if I want to trigger the iPad from my MPC or Tracker.

Thanks!

If you have a mac and somehow the mpc or tracker can get midi to the mac I think you can do some magic mac->ipad midi network thing.

If your mpc or tracker have midi over usb then you just need the camera kit and a powered hub and you're off to the races.

If they only do 5 pin midi, then you need an interface in addition to the camera kit and hub.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

Spent the morning learning my way around Pigments a bit, and ended up with a massive fuckoff wall of drone.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/whale-dropper

Godspeed You! Fishcum Juggler

This is great, thanks for sharing

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

echinopsis posted:

if/when I get this synth I need a new USB interface that has two inputs. I have a Komplete or something that has 1 input (it used to also have a mic interface but I broke that lol).

And I would quite happily get the Komplete that has 2 inputs.

Unless of course one of you keyboard touchers has some other recommendation?

Komplete is good, focusrite is good, folks seem to really like the Motu M2 and M4, too.

I have the older Komplete Audio KA-6 (with the dc coupled outputs) and a Focusrite 8i6 and both have been great.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah it seems to be in basically new condition. Now I have to learn how to use it, huh.

Just in case you aren't familiar already, Red Means Recording is great on YouTube.

I don't regret buying the op1 even though I'm not using lately. The interface really clicked with me and it's just really well designed and unique.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Tayter Swift posted:

Bitwig's a hundred off; should I jump in? Figure it'd be neat for generative stuff...

That's how they got me. Fired up the demo, made generative stuff in the grid, wanted to save it, had to buy it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Tayter Swift posted:

Installed it, it doesn't recognize my Komplete Mk2 even though they explicitly say they do, now im mad

So you added it as a controller (made sure the power light was on in the controllers list) and it doesn't work?

I see it as a menu option in mine and the other controllers I've added that way have worked fine.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah when it didn't autodetect I added the script but it still doesn't recognize it. Clicking the power button doesn't do anything. Tried resetting the keyboard and plugging it directly into my laptop, no dice.

It *will* recognize when I declare it as a generic midi controler but you lose the cool stuff with it and I don't think that was the intent.

I'm not sure how this ( http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html ) compares to the official controller script, but it might be worth a try.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

TE design and aesthetics are really really good.

Yup. The OP-1 is just fun to use. I struggled with the cost even back when it was cheaper, but I don't regret it. It doesn't get a ton of use lately, but every time I go back to it it makes me smile.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

How was a Seaboard to play? I think they look cool but also like something that would be in an ad next to impossibly fitted hooded anime jackets or a glow in the dark ant farm.

It felt weird when I tried it in store. Weird enough that I basically stopped considering it and went looking at linnstruments instead. Basically, yeah, it looks like a piano, but it didn't feel like one so there wasn't as much skill transfer as I'd expect (not that I'm great at piano, either, though).

This https://www.expressivee.com/2-osmose seems like a better idea, but it isn't out yet and has been delayed a lot due to covid.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

I’ve gotten a somewhat good grip on the OP-1 synths, drums and sequencers but I’m gonna need some help getting my footing with recording and editing tracks. Anyone have a series or YouTuber they recommend?

You can watch the early Red Means Recording stuff. It's mostly watching him use the device, though I think he has a few videos where he goes through his workflow.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations for OP-1 travel cases? Everything official is out of stock and the stock box plus rubbers bands thing is huge. TSA was like wtf is this thing.

I have the unit portables one but they look to be out of business. Mentioning it just in case you find someone selling a used one.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
The MIDI thru boxes have active circuits to isolate the inputs and outputs from each other. That 'opto isolated' bit means that instead of directly wiring the input to the output they use the input to light up an led which shines on a light dependent resistor, ie the input isn't connected to the output at all. You need power to light the led and likely an amplifier of some sort on the resistor side.

If you knew you only had well behaved gear you could just directly solder some wires between input and output jacks and have a passive device if you wanted, but at some point you'll not have enough current to drive all the outputs if you fan out too much.

The fancier MIDI boxes have micro controllers that actually read the midi messages themselves and then do stuff with them.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

petit choux posted:

I guess I've been wishing I had a USB MIDI host like the Kenton but with two USB connectors or more instead, so I can run two MIDI over USB devices without my computer. Some of these cheap keyboards I have could really benefit from input from a device like this MPK.

Assuming your midi box is acting as the host, connecting it to a plain old usb hub ought to work for that scenario. (right? now I'm doubting myself)

Also there's this: https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I bought the Baby Audio Spaced Out plugin and it's lots of fun for the sale price of $40. Fun space-y reverb and a beat synced delay thing that you can blend together nicely.

I'm still trying to master all the modulator options in bitwig, but I've got a long way to go. I know it's not as popular, but does anyone have any tutorials they like for this?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Matt Zerella posted:

AUM and the Rozetta sequencers for iOS are half off right now for any iOS synth people.

Oh sweet - thanks. $4 for Rozetta is great.

Anyone who doesn't have AUM should get it - I paid full price and have no regrets. All I needed was some LFOs and now Rozetta has that covered.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Trig Discipline posted:

Did my first track using Dubler to drive the vocoder:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/work-in-progress-nothing-never-lasts-forever

It really does make that process massively easier. Required a bit of fine editing on the notes, but just getting the timing right automatically is quite an improvement over doing it by hand.

I really enjoyed the long, slow build of this and the panning/ping pong feel of the background wash at the peak.

Thanks for sharing!

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Anybody here recommend an OP-Z to compliment my OP-1? I love the synth, sampler, effects and tape player in the OP-1 but the sequencers just don't wow me. I'd love to basically have a giant fancy Pocket Operator to fill in that hole. I also have several iOS devices to supplement it.

I know I'm limiting myself pretty greatly by doing this but it being small and portable is a huge selling point considering how much I travel. I'd love to throw it in my bag and work on a beat on the road then drop it into the OP-1 when I get home.

Edit: double post, oops!

I see you already ordered the opz, but perhaps while you wait you can try out the sequencers available on iOS. There are lots. $20 for AUM to be the main brain, a USB hub, and something like fugue machine, xynthesizer, etc. would open up a lot of possibilities, for a lot less than the opz.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

my homie dhall posted:

does anything ship slower than a new synth you're expecting

A new synth you preordered 2 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Laserjet 4P posted:

*cries in cirklon*

I'm crying in Osmose, but was contemplating crying in cirklon before going software.