Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Raspberry Pi might even be slower than that, and I’m planning on making it into a USB host-to-MIDI hub. Hmmm…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

uh, no, sorry but, no, not even close. 20-30ms would be horrible audible latency. Thru boxes in general introduce latency in the realm of microseconds, not milliseconds. So like 20-30 thousandths of a millisecond. The Kenton Midi thru boxes introduce LESS than a microsecond of latency. They are, to a human being, transparent in terms of latency.

whoops, off by several orders of magnitude. that felt off as I was hitting post (thinking about DAW buffers)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13428-018-1042-7

Interesting report putting numbers on some of this stuff. seems like sub 1 milliseconds per stage is.... optimistic in a lot of places. I bet a lot of this in chains comes down to how the midi forwarding was implemented. i.e. if the module has 10 milliseconds of variable latency depending on the patch, are they sending stuff as soon as possible? or waiting til the sound is made?

Left field but this came up as I was googling - what are your thoughts on multiple optocouplers degrading the pulse width of the signal over a couple stages? Completely new to me but... something to think about.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

JamesKPolk posted:

whoops, off by several orders of magnitude. that felt off as I was hitting post (thinking about DAW buffers)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758/s13428-018-1042-7

Interesting report putting numbers on some of this stuff. seems like sub 1 milliseconds per stage is.... optimistic in a lot of places. I bet a lot of this in chains comes down to how the midi forwarding was implemented. i.e. if the module has 10 milliseconds of variable latency depending on the patch, are they sending stuff as soon as possible? or waiting til the sound is made?

Left field but this came up as I was googling - what are your thoughts on multiple optocouplers degrading the pulse width of the signal over a couple stages? Completely new to me but... something to think about.

Well that study is all on MIDI interfaces and sound modules, which are reading the MIDI data and doing something with it, or talking to an Operating System and operating on it. MIDI Thru boxes are simply duplicating electrically what is on an input to any number of outputs. So, generally the latency therein is basically "how long does it take electricity to flow through this path", which is much, much shorter than anything that is actually looking at the data therein.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rolo posted:

The good news is that the OP-1 is complemented very well by the PO-33, the bad news is that there isn’t much carryover in regards to workflow. You’re gonna be learning an entirely different thing.

Worth it though. I’ll write beats on my 33 and sample them to the OP-1 when I’m doing an awful job manually playing the beat in real time, which is always. The 33 workflow is more enjoyable to me than the 1’s sequencers.

Yeah, that's no problem, more things to play with.

BTW, I see the back says 1.5v batteries, I have envelops which are 1.2v. Am I going to run into problems? I'd really rather not use disposable batteries.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

Well that study is all on MIDI interfaces and sound modules, which are reading the MIDI data and doing something with it, or talking to an Operating System and operating on it. MIDI Thru boxes are simply duplicating electrically what is on an input to any number of outputs. So, generally the latency therein is basically "how long does it take electricity to flow through this path", which is much, much shorter than anything that is actually looking at the data therein.

Word, gotcha in theory.

So then whats up with the "active circuitry to clean up messages" that the Kenton one, the one you posted, and the extremely passive (powered only via 5 pin) MIDI solutions one talk about? I'm legit stumped here, I'm looking at the pcb from your link and I'm seeing a bunch of passive stuff, a Schmitt trigger (doing the multing definitely introducing less delay than the duration of a message) and what I assume is a blacked out optocoupler? Or are they running a tiny arduino or PIC or something?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t quite get why MIDI splitters/multipliers need to be active, either. It should just be a matter of duplicating electrical signals, so unless those signals are so weak that they need some sort of amplification when they get split, it should work fine without having to plug a box in.

I’m actually running into this issue right now. I have a Raspberry Pi that I’m turning into a USB-host-to-MIDI-out box, and I either need to buy three USB-in-to-MIDI-out cables (which apparently don’t exist on their own), or one and also a MIDI splitter box (which are like $50-60). So what the gently caress.

I could also investigate connecting a bunch of MIDI out jacks to the RPi…but that sounds like effort.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

JamesKPolk posted:

Word, gotcha in theory.

So then whats up with the "active circuitry to clean up messages" that the Kenton one, the one you posted, and the extremely passive (powered only via 5 pin) MIDI solutions one talk about? I'm legit stumped here, I'm looking at the pcb from your link and I'm seeing a bunch of passive stuff, a Schmitt trigger (doing the multing definitely introducing less delay than the duration of a message) and what I assume is a blacked out optocoupler? Or are they running a tiny arduino or PIC or something?

They don't? The Meeblip says it just copies messages at input to all outputs.

They all work the same way I believe, just opto isolated mults

For the Kenton

quote:

Receives MIDI data from a single MIDI OUT (e.g. sequencer or master keyboard) and produces identical copies at the 25 MIDI THRU sockets. These can then be connected to the MIDI INs of sound modules or other devices which require MIDI signals sent to them.

High quality Kenton MIDI Thru box with opto-isolated MIDI In and separate drive for each MIDI Out. Powered from a mains adaptor (wall wart) so you can fit and forget.

1 MIDI In & 25 MIDI Thrus
Works for ALL MIDI messages including Clock, SysEx, MTC etc.
Includes schmitt trigger logic for signal quality restoration
Less than one microsecond latency
DC power input jack 2.1mm (centre +ve)
Power/Data indicator light
Housed in a metal box so it can withstand the knocks
Attractively finished in brushed aluminium with black screen print

Not sure where you got the stuff about active circuitry to clean up messages.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

toadee posted:

Not sure where you got the stuff about active circuitry to clean up messages.

From the meeblip page:

quote:

[*] Opto-isolated MIDI IN to eliminate ground loops
[*] Individual active signal processing for each MIDI OUT

From the manual for Kenton's thru-25 (and thru-5)

quote:

The THRU-25 has an opto-coupled MIDI Input and separate drive circuits for each
MIDI Thru socket for optimum performance. The THRU-25 also incorporates active
circuitry to help restore the quality of signals received at the MIDI Input that may
have become degraded by losses in the MIDI cable

Hence my confusion

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Great discussion on MIDI — that MRCC box looks super cool though way overkill for me right now. I’m struggling to think of a reason I’d need to dynamically reassign input/output right now but who knows what the future holds.

If anything I’d love that kind of pushbutton matrix routing for audio. I’d love to have a virtual patch bay where I can just instantly route output of sampler to a rack reverb or to automatically switch my turntable output from my MPC1K to my rack sampler with the push of a button.

I kind of duplicated that with my Yamaha mixer and its bus routing and FX send channels with moderate success but it’s super limited.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

I don't have a one-beats-all video but here's what I did. I watched a handful of similar how-to videos to get a mix. Some people would cover a basic question I had and some others. Once you can lay down sounds on a pattern and manage samples, Google becomes your friend. I found myself just typing in a lot of specific questions to fill in the cracks:

"PO33 how do I delete a pattern?"
"PO33 how do I chain patterns?"
"PO33 how do I write in real time?"
"PO33 how do I copy paste patterns?"

I did like this video, too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIDUQ725jRc

I would maybe play with the stock sounds and get a feel for the sequencer before fiddling with recording and cutting samples. The nice thing about Pocket Operators is that you can learn all of the functions within an hour once you have it in your hand. Hard part is utilizing them and recalling them when needed. That just comes with practice. Grab some dope headphones, a beer and your comfy chair.

Great advice for virtually anything nowadays. Yeah, and watch Jakob Haq's videos about the POs, his videos are really good, very instructive and much more. He made some of the stock patterns on the 32.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

Great advice for virtually anything nowadays. Yeah, and watch Jakob Haq's videos about the POs, his videos are really good, very instructive and much more. He made some of the stock patterns on the 32.

Agreed. I'll throw in the channel called "free beat" as well. He makes a lot of po vids, which I've found helpful
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBg47CPiNcKwtGd7QAYeGFV-wVjy5EcN0

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

toadee posted:

uh, no, sorry but, no, not even close. 20-30ms would be horrible audible latency. Thru boxes in general introduce latency in the realm of microseconds, not milliseconds. So like 20-30 thousandths of a millisecond. The Kenton Midi thru boxes introduce LESS than a microsecond of latency. They are, to a human being, transparent in terms of latency.

Makes me feel much better about getting the Kenton

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, that's no problem, more things to play with.

BTW, I see the back says 1.5v batteries, I have envelops which are 1.2v. Am I going to run into problems? I'd really rather not use disposable batteries.

This is a question I need a little clarity on myself. I think some electronics have such precise demands they can't work with 1.2, but I don't know if that's a common problem.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I did the flea market today, played my PO 33 as people browsed my lovely keyboards. I actually got a pretty strong response from a couple people or more as they passed by. Ran it through a DD-6 that a gentle goon was kind enough to sell me. :nice:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We should 100% have a PO33 share sesh once everyone is up to speed on using it. I love hearing what other people can make on my own gear. It’s inspiring.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
PO33 is next on my to buy list. I even bought a case for it already.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t quite get why MIDI splitters/multipliers need to be active, either. It should just be a matter of duplicating electrical signals, so unless those signals are so weak that they need some sort of amplification when they get split, it should work fine without having to plug a box in.

I’m actually running into this issue right now. I have a Raspberry Pi that I’m turning into a USB-host-to-MIDI-out box, and I either need to buy three USB-in-to-MIDI-out cables (which apparently don’t exist on their own), or one and also a MIDI splitter box (which are like $50-60). So what the gently caress.

I could also investigate connecting a bunch of MIDI out jacks to the RPi…but that sounds like effort.

Pollyanna posted:

Edit: what the gently caress is the behringer td-3 and why are there like a million of them for 100 bucks on reverb

Disclaimer: I am very into acid techno so I have a huge bias for tb-303 clones

I would recommend getting a td-3 to connect to your pi. It has usb midi in and regular midi out/thru. It also produces divine techno sounds.

I don't own a td-3 but I have an rd-6 which is very similar and I use it to control my non-usb 303 clone.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reaaaaaally now 👀 as long as it gets recognized as a MIDI device, that’d solve my interface problem. I’d still have to figure out a way to connect multiple devices to the same MIDI signal, though. Supposedly daisy chaining is a thing? The Volcas unfortunately generally don’t have MIDI thru.

CatBlack posted:

Disclaimer: I am very into acid techno

You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/RIca6YfvTaY

God, that soundtrack rules.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

petit choux posted:

Makes me feel much better about getting the Kenton

I mean, you should, because Kenton are good people and the boxes are well made, but to a human being there is no difference between 30 microseconds and 1 microsecond, you simply can't tell the difference.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

Reaaaaaally now 👀 as long as it gets recognized as a MIDI device, that’d solve my interface problem. I’d still have to figure out a way to connect multiple devices to the same MIDI signal, though. Supposedly daisy chaining is a thing? The Volcas unfortunately generally don’t have MIDI thru.

You mean like this?

oh my god

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
This is how I think of latency times between seconds, milliseconds, and microseconds

code:

Average Blink
      0.1 seconds
    100 milliseconds
100,000 microseconds

Audio latency from a well configured computer
0.007 seconds
7 milliseconds
7,000 microseconds

Rule of Thumb breakpoint for detectable latency:
0.01 seconds
10 milliseconds
10,000 microseconds

My latency playing Quake at the LAN Party Place with a T1 connection:
0.055 seconds
55 milliseconds
55,000 microseconds

Your latency playing Quake on dialup:
.25 seconds
250 milliseconds
250,000 microseconds

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 10, 2021

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
The MIDI thru boxes have active circuits to isolate the inputs and outputs from each other. That 'opto isolated' bit means that instead of directly wiring the input to the output they use the input to light up an led which shines on a light dependent resistor, ie the input isn't connected to the output at all. You need power to light the led and likely an amplifier of some sort on the resistor side.

If you knew you only had well behaved gear you could just directly solder some wires between input and output jacks and have a passive device if you wanted, but at some point you'll not have enough current to drive all the outputs if you fan out too much.

The fancier MIDI boxes have micro controllers that actually read the midi messages themselves and then do stuff with them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I guess I've been wishing I had a USB MIDI host like the Kenton but with two USB connectors or more instead, so I can run two MIDI over USB devices without my computer. Some of these cheap keyboards I have could really benefit from input from a device like this MPK.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

dexefiend posted:

This is how I think of latency times between seconds, milliseconds, and microseconds

code:
Average Blink
      0.1 seconds
    100 milliseconds
100,000 microseconds

Audio latency from a well configured computer
0.007 seconds
7 milliseconds
7,000 microseconds

Rule of Thumb breakpoint for detectable latency:
0.01 seconds
10 milliseconds
10,000 microseconds

My latency playing Quake at the LAN Party Place with a T1 connection:
0.055 seconds
55 milliseconds
55,000 microseconds

Your latency playing Quake on dialup:
.25 seconds
250 milliseconds
250,000 microseconds

This, but also:
latency as a result of my playing the keys manually: +/- 1/32 to 1/16 beat

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Introducing over usb specifically (PCI seems fine according to the paper I posted) to the midi chain does introduce single digit MS latency, because of how the data is polled from the bus.

The Kenton boxes have it down to 2ms according to their site, but "standard" is 8ms or so.

Hence the argument for a hub rather than a chain.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

One thing that irks me about the model 12 is that it can send transport out but won’t listen to transport in messages. I still use it as master clock tho

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The more I look at prices for interfaces and splitter/multipliers, the more my RPi starts looking ripe for tinkering.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

petit choux posted:

I guess I've been wishing I had a USB MIDI host like the Kenton but with two USB connectors or more instead, so I can run two MIDI over USB devices without my computer. Some of these cheap keyboards I have could really benefit from input from a device like this MPK.

Assuming your midi box is acting as the host, connecting it to a plain old usb hub ought to work for that scenario. (right? now I'm doubting myself)

Also there's this: https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxm

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Pollyanna posted:

You mean like this?

:pcgaming:

Pollyanna posted:

Midi has channels so you'd set the devices to different channels (the td-3 definitely lets you do this) and configure your software to send notes to them. I had a dedicated midi usb interface that I stopped using because I have so many synths with midi thru now.

e: volca lets you set midi channel too. I think its a pretty standard feature.

CatBlack fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 10, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

You mean like this?

Yes, this is very nice.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bomberman Hero’s a decent-to-good game, but the soundtrack is utterly dope. I rented it like every Friday when I was 8.

CatBlack posted:

:pcgaming:

Midi has channels so you'd set the devices to different channels (the td-3 definitely lets you do this) and configure your software to send notes to them. I had a dedicated midi usb interface that I stopped using because I have so many synths with midi thru now.

e: volca lets you set midi channel too. I think its a pretty standard feature.

I get channels, yeah, but I’m referring to when synths and modules don’t have MIDI thru cause their makers are cheap, KORG. :mad:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a good book/resource/whatever for signal processing? Obviously a quick google reveals a billion results so I guess I'm asking for a goon suggestion to narrow the selection down. The more it presents examples that I can fiddle around with the better.. long winded theory or terminology dumps is gonna wear me out fast.

In short I recently got the Audulus 4 beta, which is an iOS modular synth. It can run as an auv3 plugin now and I've been using it as an FX processor to do terrible things to the outputs of my favorite softsynths. I've had some fun googling for formulas and plugging them in but I think it's time to actually start teaching myself more than gain adjustments or mangling the pitch.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's reactor specific, but the dsp level manual for reactor is o.k. and is probably free

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Anyone know of a good book/resource/whatever for signal processing?
https://valhalladsp.com/2021/09/28/getting-started-with-reverb-design-part-4-books/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My NTS-1 came in the mail today and uhhh yeah I can see why people get lost in jamming. That was fun as hell, though I’m still wrapping my head around both it and the Volca Drum.

Once my coffee table is all set, I just need that TD-3 and poo poo’s goin down my friends :getin:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Thanks! I just bought a book on how to program audio effect plugins in c++!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pollyanna posted:

Once my coffee table is all set, I just need that TD-3 and poo poo’s goin down my friends :getin:

which color are you getting?

Pollyanna posted:

Bomberman Hero’s a decent-to-good game, but the soundtrack is utterly dope. I rented it like every Friday when I was 8.

Hbomberguy uses music from Bomberman Hero in a lot of his videos

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Goddamn I was struggling with the PO today during lunch but it's slowly starting to make sense. It's not complicated but paying attention to the write mode and not erasing stuff was pretty harrowing there.

I sliced my first drums today but then I accidentally overwrote them. Lesson learned.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ok Comboomer posted:

which color are you getting?

Whatever’s cheapest on Reverb :v:

IMO, keeping each piece of gear under $90~100 is a nice rule of thumb. Used gear is perfectly good, gear from previous decades is perfectly good, simple gear is perfectly good. No need for massive drum machines or sequencers or anything.

You can put together a nice short, simple, and tightly-looped track focused on rhythm and harmony with just four modules max and their onboard keys/pads. Sure, you'll be reaching over them and twiddling knobs and high execution is important, but it's totally doable. Just, keep it simple.

quote:

Hbomberguy uses music from Bomberman Hero in a lot of his videos

Good poo poo m’duuuuuuude

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pretty pleased, got this MIDI Theremin up and running with my Boss MD-500, which has MIDI in, and they're playing well together, I think. I haven't done anything I like with them but I think I just need to find my sweet spots (hopefully). Just running any old thing through them RN, mostly a PO 33. ED: not a big deal really at first glance, but I've got the sensors mapped to rate and depth settings for a low pass filter, passing a PO's rhythm through that, getting some pleasing noises now and then.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 12, 2021