Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

renderful posted:

I think that is honestly a very weird metric. What percentage of guitars do you think are used to make a track? 1%? Less? Making and recording tracks is certainly not the pinnacle of music. (totally not arguing, even though this posts reads as aggressive :D )

It's not a super fleshed-out idea... I'm mostly thinking of the common advice to pick one thing and learn it really well, as compared with the common marketing theme of "push button on new $$thing$$ to make awesome!" It would be great to have a sort of objective measure of "to what extent is this a toy?" that would be comprehensible to newbies, as opposed to me just guessing whose judgment to trust from a position of almost complete ignorance.

FLX posted:

I'm pushing those numbers up! Give me one of them BEAMZ and I'll do ... something with it! Here's my weekly track, in which I mangle some analog sounds and then add a pinch of ROMpler brass to sweeten it up again just a little:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3HKP_TR_z8

Also, this new OP talk reminds me that the iOS music thread needs a new OP badly. But the whole iOS music App universe has exploded and I feel like I've lost track of a lot of things.

Wanted to import this to the new thread both for exposure and to reply to it. I think it's worth finding another way to do whatever the hell BEAMZ actually does, like writing a script for a theremin-style MIDI controller or something, just to spite the "Music is so easy anybody can do it! Give us your money and suddenly become awesome!" marketing bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Is an MC-505 with a couple of "stripes" (probably dead pixels) in the display worth 330$?
Reading up on it, the display failing is apparently a common thing. No idea whether or not the dead pixel problem will get worse or stay as it is (still legible).

I wouldn't assume that stripes and dead pixels are similar issues. When I used to fix graphing calculators in high school, dead pixels were permanent and internal to the LCD assembly, but stripes could usually be fixed by re-seating the connector between the LCD assembly and the main board. I don't know how much of that translates from graphing calculators to the MC-505 obviously, but it's a data point for you to consider.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Perhaps a dumb question, but how does one say "moogerfooger"? "Moog" is like "mow" as in "mow the lawn" except with a "g" on the end, so I kind of want to say "MOW grr FOE grr" ("foe" as in "enemy"), but I also kind of want to rhyme it with "booger booger" because that makes it sound more like "motherfucker".

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Griff Lee posted:

like the n-word

edit: effort post;

Have there been any cool developments with those lego-like synth modules that would stick together? And they were going open source? I remember there was cool talk of where it was going, but never followed up...

Do you mean these? http://littlebits.cc/kits/synth-kit

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Op1 update is out! Looking forward to sequencing my stuff with the sketch sequencer.

I'm starting to think it's inevitable that I'll get one of these eventually. They're just cooler and cooler the more I learn about them. But not until I find a job, because of how expensive they are.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

renderful posted:

effects hosted inside the reverb tank of the verb

I'm not sure I understand what this means. Is it an effect on the wet signal, prior to the dry/wet knob in the reverb's interface?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

treasureplane posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus about this thing. I guess I can't wrap my head around people privileging a novel workflow over the actual sound you hear when you close your eyes. The sound in that video reminded me of my old entry-level Casio.

That's how I feel as well. TE is clearly way ahead of the pack in terms of synth UX. It would be amazing to see a DSI, Waldorf, Elektron, etc. take their ideas and run with them.

Cuckoo in particular likes square waves and old video games, but not every sound that comes out of the OP-1 is like that, I don't think. Some of the functions definitely look like toys (note tumbler, I'm looking at you), but with other ones, it seems like they did a simple thing well instead of a complicated thing just ok, and it's easy to see the appeal there. I think the analogy from earlier to Apple products is apt. Simple user interfaces are generally better, but it always stings a little to lose any particular function or particular possible workflow.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 31, 2014

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Griff Lee posted:

I am a white man and I demand acknowledgement

I can't wait to see what people do with the synth LittleBits once they've been out for a minute.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

net work error posted:

I made a song today!

Haha April Fools I suck

You still could! Don't make it perfect; make it NOW! Practice practice practice.

ejstheman posted:

I can't wait to see what people do with the synth LittleBits once they've been out for a minute.

OH MY GOD I just saw on facebook that a friend of a friend is getting these and I can't wait to nag the poo poo out of him through our mutual friend until he lets me try them hahahahaha

Reggie Watts did a demo video, but he didn't use the littlebits a ton in the part I watched; his performance seemed to feature his looper a lot more, and he just used the littlebits to make this one weird feedback noise that he sampled at the beginning.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 1, 2014

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm pretty happy with my Volca Beats for the time being. It takes a few minutes to set the levels but the bass is pretty nice. I don't really get the complaints about the snare.

I might pick up a Rhythm Wolf or TR-8 depending on which one shakes out in the next few months. I really want something with discrete outputs for the kick and hats but whatever.

Have you heard A/B with the stock snare and the snare from a modded Volcabeats? It really is much better, at least if you believe people with soldering irons on YouTube. The stock sound is clipped or something.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Music production skype hangout, anyone?

I think this would be a great way for Internet strangers to hold each other accountable and encourage each other to actually do stuff, but for myself personally, I fear I would be too much of a newbie to contribute.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Startyde posted:

Just got my first automatic copyright takedown on soundcloud. Muh robot farts sound like some rap song apparently.
Happened on upload which seems odd. Don't they lose any kind of indemnity protection as a service if they're filtering for copyright violations?

Only editorial control qualifies for the loss of safe harbor protections. If you're doing some kind of automated thing, and it misses something, you're still OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

wayfinder posted:

For my birthday I want a Daisy Duke filter. Her emphasis on cutoff frequency resonates with me.

Holy poo poo. This gets funnier and funnier the more times I read it.