Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So, I spent like 20 years doing music solely in DAWs and, back before the demoscene went extinct in the late Cretaceous, trackers. But the last few years I've been very fallow music-wise, and early this year when I had more spare income I decided to see whether actual hardware synths would help reignite the fire.

I haven't released any fully-produced tracks yet, but jamming with this setup has definitely inspired the hell out of me music-wise. And dear holy gently caress modular is a money incinerator, but it's been so worth it to me.

Module-wise, I couldn't live without Pam's New Workout, not just as a master clocked but as a clocked modulator for anything and everything. Telharmonic is my most recent acquisition but it's absolutely phenomenal. Monotropa is a fun little EQ distortion unit. And the Turing Machine was a fun way to get into soldering for the first time (although the BHB was my actual testbed for doing that).

I got the Neutron used because Uli doesn't need my money, but it's been a great jumping-off point for learning how to patch stuff. And it's still a great-sounding analog oscillator and filter for the whole modular rig.

I need some rainbow knobs for my Synthrotek APC just to piss him off, because my girlfriend got that for me before we realized what a bigoted douche the guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Martytoof posted:

AKA the best type of DAW

:cool:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I also started out with Trackers - Scream Tracker originally, then Impulse Tracker. This was back in the 90s though. I have no idea what’s been out there in the last 20 years.

Schism Tracker has, as far as I can tell, been the main thing people have been using over the last 15 years if they're not DOS purists. It's basically a clone of IT2.14 that runs in modern hardware just fine. I did OHCs with it back when one of my IRC communities was doing compos regularly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

-Me, a few hours ago debating on whether or not to get a Mantis case.

I was going to get a Mantis to add to my two NiftyCases, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and that used 9U Doepfer showed up at Patchwerks, my local crack den synthesizer shop, so I traded in one of my NCs towards it. Having a beefy power supply and lots of case depth to work in makes it extremely worth it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Martytoof posted:

So about that big stash of sample floppy disks I picked up.

Would anyone be interested if I did a “one per day” kind of post? I was thinking I could set up a gopro in front of my S950, pop a random new disk in and we discover what’s on there together? Could be nothing, could be an amazing few samples, could be a bad disk. Once I figure out how to get the files off floppies I can start posting them along with each youtube video.

Doing one per day (and let’s be honest I probably won’t remember to do it every day) I probably have enough for a few months of content.

I mean I want to do it regardless but not sure if I should start a separate Samplers thread. I’m feel like this might JUST be skirting the edges of being actually related to “synths and synthesis” and you guys have been incredibly generous putting up with my Akai fetishization so far but I definitely don’t want to derail unless we want this to actually be the sampler thread as well.

Definitely interested in this. Samples for the Rample throne!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Also, it's just a fun little ditty but I've finished something that's not dark drone ambient for the first time since like 2014:

https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/cirrus

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

kidfresca posted:

Probably going to buy a Volca Drum.

The Volca Drum is one of the last pieces of non-modular gear I own, I love it. Although I do wish there were a eurorack version that had CV control over the different parameters, that would be an insane amount of fun. As it is, I mostly route mine into my modular rig and put it through a wavefolder or some other kind of distortion for fun crunchy drum sounds.

I managed to snag, among other things, a used Mutable Instruments Kinks yesterday, and it's surprising Emilie discontinued it because it's so useful to have a bunch of utilities like this in one 4HP module, especially since it's DC-coupled and can process audio signals. The online manual is also great at suggesting creative ways to use it, e.g. using the S&H with a high-rate pulse wave triggering an audio input to work as a bitcrusher, in such a way that a relative novice like me can understand it easily. Honestly, I love all the MI modules (or their clones) I've used, except Clouds still eludes me.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

I managed to snag, among other things, a used Mutable Instruments Kinks yesterday, and it's surprising Emilie discontinued it because it's so useful to have a bunch of utilities like this in one 4HP module, especially since it's DC-coupled and can process audio signals. The online manual is also great at suggesting creative ways to use it, e.g. using the S&H with a high-rate pulse wave triggering an audio input to work as a bitcrusher, in such a way that a relative novice like me can understand it easily.

Okay, I need another Kinks for actual CV use because using it for bitcrushing and ring modulation and weird poo poo with the rectifier is too drat fun. Like, I can basically just use this as my new distortion module.

/edit: Did some techno-ish improv using an APC into Kinks to bitcrush a Make Noise Telharmonic: https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/cherenkov

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 5, 2021

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Seriously, for me Eurorack has been very liberating creatively. Make something, usually try to keep it short, record it/video it, unpatch and start over. I’ve had a lot of “analysis paralysis” especially fretting over “well how would I do this live?” over my life, and now I’m 40, I haven’t done anything live in 15 years, and none of those concerns matter anymore.

Something about software and poo poo just overwhelms me, and I didn’t realize it until recently. Everything I do in Eurorack could be done in software, but I just don’t think of it.

Somehow the ephemeral nature of Eurorack and not being able to save things has been freeing rather than constraining. :shrug:

Not saying everyone should hop on the Eurorack train, but I guess it’s important to find the way you best work creatively and commit to it, whether that’s Eurorack, a specific DAW and set of plug-ins, a software environment like Max/MSP, or a 4-track and a guitar.

This is exactly how and why I dove into Eurorack - I've been using software for the last 20 years and I just started hitting a complete brick wall with it. Now, even if I only occasionally record and release anything with it, I'm inspired to patch and jam on my system almost daily, which is the most creative I've been in years.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

a clown puke worth of rainbow patch cable nonsense later

:golfclap: Just gonna go ahead and keep this phrase.

I recently acquired an Ornament and Crime module, and after trying both the original firmware and the Hemispheres alternative, I'm probably gonna stick with the original. The Harrington 1200 mode is fun for putting chords into my Chainsaw (I've been using random sources including my TM's Pulses expander to trigger the chord modulation), Piqued is incredibly powerful for envelopes (I've even used it as a burst generator!), and Quantermain... how can you beat four quantized Turing Machines at once? Hemispheres is good for some of its smaller programs, but they don't go nearly as deep as the main o_C firmware. And I already have two Disting mk4s for a broad range of shallow programs.

Speaking of burst generators, which ones do other modular folks have, and which do you recommend? I don't have one myself but after watching Andrew Huang's last video on generative ambient, I figured out how to patch one together and I can't get enough of them. I'm wondering if I should keep patching them from scratch or find one I want to purchase. I'd especially like one that has an end-of-burst function to trigger another note or chord or sequence or something.

I got a nice bonus for the first time in my decade of working as a brewer, and I'm trying not to spend it all on GAS. But I am gonna treat myself to one of the modules I've been thinking about for a while. Specifically, I'm seriously debating getting a Basimilus Iteritus Alter for really weird, crunchy drums and stabs. Those of you who've used a BIA, what do you think?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

a clown puke worth of rainbow patch cable nonsense later

I just wanted to revive this phrase for tonight's patch, which resulted in this: https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/sovereign

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's one of these modules I will probably never get rid of. If I participate in the one synth challenge, it's going to be a track with just a BIA for everything, without multitracking.

It does benefit greatly from a filter though. Also be aware the CV inputs accept positive voltage only or it starts glitching. Mimetic Digitalis is the perfect sequencer for it.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWy9FggKP88

Oh poo poo, that's good to know. I tend to use my 0chd for subtle modulation of things, so I guess I'll have to pass it through an offset/attenuator if I use it with the BIA.

Also having heard BIA being triggered at audio rate to make it into a drone, I DEFINITELY want one now.

magiccarpet posted:

What does everyone like for euro sample playback?

Depends on what kind of sample playback you're trying to do. If you're looking at drums, I've been quite happy with my Squarp Rample. I've also used the "radio music" setting on my Disting for continous samples that then get put through a LPG or sidechained for interesting effects. If you're looking for more of a multisampler, I think the 1010 Bitbox can do that.

Then of course there's the Winterbloom Big Honking Button for the best of silly things.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

What is that mystic thing put in line of one of the cables?

It's one of the Mystic Circuits "0hp" modules, specifically a vactrol-based lowpass gate. https://www.mysticcircuits.com/product/0hp-vactrol-low-pass-gate I'm pinging my FILThy filter at full resonance and a low cutoff and passing it through the LPG and a wavefolder to get the kick drum sound in that track.

They make a few different 0hp modules that plug in-line so you don't have to take up space in your rig for them. They're unpowered by anything other than the signal you put into them, so they can't function as a VCO or anything, but they have a bunch of options like logic gates and attenuators. I do want a proper module that has a few LPGs in it, though, like this: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/cctv-simple-gates/

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, I got it for Piques and Quadraturia, with the intention of using Quartermain someday as a quantizer. I knew there were a handful of weird little sequencers in there, but I had no idea there was weirdo chiptune (?) stuff.

I could build a eurorack of nothing but uO&C modules. :unsmigghh:

One of my first thoughts after acquiring my o_C was "I need another one so I can do [x] at the same time as [y]".

For as expensive as getting into modular has been, it's been inspiring enough that I finished my first album in seven years with it! Check it out if you're interested:

https://rocketmermaid.bandcamp.com/album/the-future-is-here-and-everything-must-be-destroyed

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

DreadUnknown posted:

Sooo I live in Seattle and I made the mistake of looking at Patchwerk's website, now I know where most of my money is going to end up going. Soooo many synths.

At this point I may as well change my direct deposit from my bank account to Patchwerks. :v:

The people there are awesome though, and I'm happy to support the place.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Did another Ornament & Crime jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcc7ULQ0ek4

One "byte beat equation" from the "Viznutcracker, sweet!" app, where the Muxlicer changes the "equation," which is like changing the wavetable on a wavetable oscillator.

Then some distorted psychedelic freakout.

Awesome!

As useful as the o_C Hemispheres firmware is, I don't understand how people can sacrifice incredible things like Viznutcracker and Harrington 1200 and Quantermain for it.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Just jamming and having fun with BIA, Telharmonic and Viznutcracker, Sweet!: https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/nerve-reactor

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Has anybody here ever used the Nerdseq sequencer? As somebody who got her start in Scream Tracker 3 and Impulse Tracker, carrying that demoscene history into Eurorack seems right up my alley, other than the price: https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq/

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

minidracula posted:

Yup. Got one with a bunch of expanders (more CV, more triggers, and the I/O expander), but not (at least not yet) the more recent video I/O expander that he showed off at Superbooth last year, which would give you an HDMI display and keyboard control of the unit as well. You might be able to find a set used for some decent-ish discount off new/retail price; that's what I happened to luck into, but I waited a while for that opportunity to pop up.

From what you said, I think we have the same basic attraction to the general concept of this sort of thing in "hardware", or at least are coming from similar places. Of the "hardware" tracker things I own now (NerdSEQ, Polyend, and Dirtywave), the NerdSEQ is the most tracker-like to me for what I think of or expect out of a generic label of calling something a "tracker", and certainly if you're working with Eurorack, NerdSEQ is the obvious choice versus, say, the Polyend (which doesn't have CV). Caveat: I just got the Dirtywave and still haven't F'd with it much.

Tangent: this is probably a bad analogy in a lot of ways, but I think of the Polyend as more like "the OP-1 of 'hardware' trackers", which is not necessarily a bad thing (I have an OP-1 and love it a lot). (One of the first things I did on the Polyend though was set it to display in hex. Otherwise it's like using HP calculators in algebraic mode... it just feels wrong.)

Depending on what you're expecting, the NerdSEQ may or may not disappoint. If you have the opportunity, I'd highly encourage you to go play with one in an Eurorack setup at your local friendly synth shop to see if it clicks with your tracker expectations. Feel free to ask me questions too and I'll do my best to answer.

My biggest question is, how easy is it to use with that tiny screen? I know it has the expander with the HDMI and keyboard breakouts, but I'm also wondering how much it loses, if anything, by having to function on a module-sized screen. I don't have any problems using my PNW or Ornament & Crime, but there's a lot more data to be displayed at once on the Nerdseq.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Anybody have any favorite patches/sysex files for the Volca FM? I know that giant DX7AllTheWeb file is out there but I'm not sorting through 13,000 patches to find the best of them. I've found some good ones but I'd love to see what people recommend. :)

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

CatBlack posted:

uli teases me yet again

Oh dang. Looking up the specs, it looks like they got rid of the Neutron's overdrive and sample&hold in favor of a wavefolder and a second filter. For $299 that's loving bonkers. I may not like Behringer as a company but I love the hell out of my Neutron.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

drat, they're even doing a knockoff of the Moog Grandmother:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/03/05/behringers-latest-synth-model-15-copies-the-moog-grandmother/

I can't say I'm not tempted, but I know Behringer doesn't have the best ethics or build quality.

Are they just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks? They're machinegunning out these announcements like crazy this week.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Just earlier today I saw a thread at Mod Wiggler where a guy was missing a surface-mount diode on a Behringer Pro-one and was trying to figure out how to replace it. Either it was never soldered on, or it was done so poorly that it fell off.

My dive into eurorack started because of their Arp 2500 modules, but I never bought any of them and I’m just going to continue to keep my distance from all things Behringer. I think their clones of vintage, discontinued gear are a great idea, but I don’t like it when they clone contemporary and available stuff.

The Neutron helped me learn about patching and ultimately got me into eurorack, and it's still in regular use in my setup, but I'm glad I got it used. Really, if I want something Behringer, at this point I'm just going to buy it used rather than giving money directly to Uli.

Considering how much some fairly basic things cost in eurorack, though, the Neutron is an insanely powerful piece of kit for the $250 I paid for it.

I just bought a spring reverb kit off of Thonk and I can't wait to see what weird things I can do by interacting directly with the spring.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rolo posted:

How did you get started with euro? I shouldn’t even be asking but I would love to be able to throw stuff like that together with a nice cup of tea on a rainy day :coal:

To add another response: I've been working with software (first trackers, then Reason) for about 20 years but over the last few lost steam and inspiration on using them. Then my girlfriend and I moved to Seattle and I discovered they have an amazing synthesizer and eurorack store here called Patchwerks, and I decided to buy some hardware (a Minilogue XD and a Digitakt) with my stimmy check to see if that would reawaken my inspiration. Getting a Behringer Neutron a few months later got me intrigued by the possibilities of patching. I had a MicroFreak for a short while, but I hated how thin it sounded and how far outside of every mix it sounded in my setup, so I figured starting off in Eurorack with a Plaits (which the MicroFreak cribs all its algorithms from) would be a better way to access those sounds and play with patching stuff. Using the filter, VCA and envelopes on the Neutron with the Plaits as an oscillator and two effects modules (a Dreadbox Nostalgia delay and a Recovery Bad Comrade distortion) rocked my world, and I just tumbled down the Eurorack rabbit hole from there. Now, other than my Minilogue XD and two Volcas (FM and Drum), my setup is overwhelmingly Eurorack and I've finished an album for the first time since 2014. :)

If I had to go back in time and start again, I'd probably start with the Neutron and a case large enough to mount it in along with a few other modules. Then I'd get Pamela's New Workout, which is the beating heart of my own system, and a few effects modules to fatten up the Neutron. If that whole setup works for you, then it's easy to start building on that foundation.

And yeah, you can never have enough VCAs (or attenuators).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

tylertfb posted:

Is there a studio furniture / setup thread in here? I am moving into a new place that will have a detached garage (for the bikes / tools) and studio (for the ~synth zone~) building in the back yard that I have been given domain over. I am excited to setup the studio furniture from scratch. I plan on transferring over my standard Ikea DJ booth (2 x 4 Kallax on it's side + legs to get it to proper height) but am totally free to build / buy the desk / rack for my hardware gear setup. The center of my setup is the MC-707, and I've got a 61 key controller keyboard and a handful of other outboard kit (couple of td3's, electribeS, fx boxes). Should I put it all on one flat surface? Make some kind of tiered setup? standing desk or sitting desk?

I use the Elfa organizer racks from the Container Store. The angled shoe racks are absolutely perfect for keyboards.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

[INCEPTION HORN]

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2022/03/22/behringer-gets-knocked-off-by-cme/

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

petit choux posted:

I think I'll stop spending all my mad money on this stuff after one more purchase

:laugh:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

No knock on you, but the Synthrotek dude is a really lovely edgelord and his build quality sucks.

The Niftycase, however, I can't recommend enough. I had two of them plus the ears before I lucked into a used Doepfer 9U case. I still have one of mine because I overflowed the 9U almost immediately. The I/O on the Niftycase is a huge bonus and means you don't have to spend money on certain utilities right away.

Modulargrid is absolutely a great place to get lost and go window shopping, but if you're looking for low(er)-cost entry into Eurorack, some sites have "budget" pages for that sort of thing. Patchwerks in particular has a great one.

Antumbra/After Later produces mostly clones/reworks of Mutable Instruments stuff on the cheap, and their quality and performance are great. Dreadbox has the Chromatic Series that's a bunch of colorful, versatile modules - I have the three-stage delay and love it. And Doepfer tends to be no-nonsense but affordable and well-made - their version of the Wasp filter is more or less a necessity. And a lot of the Erica Synths Pico modules are really great for a small HP footprint and lots of utility.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

net work error posted:

If I wanted to setup a modular skiff focused mainly on effects especially for like ambient and noise what modules would be the ones to look at?

The Noise Engineering Desmodus series has a number of different complex effects units, but what makes them a big draw is that you can change the firmware between them fairly easily. There's a reverb, a delay, a granular effects unit, and a few others, and buying one basically means you can switch between any of them by flashing the firmware whenever you feel like it.
Mutable Instruments Beads or Clouds are super-popular for granular and reverb/delay effects. Clouds clones are a dime-a-dozen on Reverb, but I will say Clouds is relatively hard to wrangle into a consistent form. There is, however, a good reason why Rings-into-Clouds is a modular meme at this point - it sounds amazing for ambient.
Make Noise Mimeophon is supposed to be an amazing delay/reverb(ish) unit, but it's difficult to find these days. Even used it goes for above MSRP.
Spring reverbs are relatively inexpensive, and you can do some wild stuff with feedback or directly touching/"playing" the spring itself. If you can solder, I'm a particular fan of this kit from Music Thing/Thonk.
The Strymon Starlab and Magneto are supposed to be basically the Cadillacs of reverb and delay, but they're expensive and extremely large.
Noise Engineering's Ruina series of distortion units are all great, but I'm going to advocate for the Schlaapi 100 Grit if you're looking for noise and distortion. It has a series of brass balls on its top row that you bridge your fingers between for wild noise effects, which makes it super performable. I demo'd it one time and had an absolute ball with it. Recovery Effects does some cool distortion modules as well, in particular the Bad Comrade, but without significant attenuation they can be hard to find a sweet spot on.
I really like the Tiptop ZVerb, as it can switch between 24 different reverb settings that have some nice CV control. They also have a delay and a general effects unit in the same series.
Wavefolders can be particularly fun for distortion - I have an Instruo athru and it's really awesome to put drums through. But it's incredibly noisy when it doesn't have anything going through it.
Also keep in mind that there are modules that can convert from modular to line/instrument level and back again, so you can pass your modular gear through a pedalboard as well.
Even some general VCAs or inputs can be overdriven to nice effect - I use my Erica Pico Input as an overdrive unit half the time.

Oh, and my favorite dark-horse distortion unit: Mutable Instruments Kinks. Yeah, it's a utility module, but it can process audio as well as CV, meaning it can create some bizarre effects. You can alter audio by passing it through the rectifier, create ring modulation with the logic segment, or (my personal favorite) use a square wave or other simple audio source with the sample&hold to create a bitcrusher. It's loving wild once you realize the things you can do with it.

B33rChiller posted:

Can you folks recommend me a decent set of headphones for monitoring? Ideally, I would prefer large, comfortable cups, and somewhere in the mid price range, if such a thing exists. Wide and flat frequency response is something that I'm beginning to discover the use of, but I guess that's implied by monitoring use?
Afraid my ancient cans are needing replacement, and would appreciate solid recs.

I've been swearing by Sony MDR-7506s for 25 years now and I'm not moving away from them any time soon.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 6, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Big fan of both of these too. 0chd in particular shows up in almost every single patch of mine, and Rings plays a role in half the jams and tracks I make.

Viol Ruina is one I've definitely been interested in, but I just haven't around to getting it yet. I have enough other filter and distortion sources in my rack that it hasn't been a high priority.

Oh, and something that might be super fun for noise/ambient? Noise Engineering's Basimilus Iteritas Alter is sold as a percussion synthesizer, but if you put an audio-rate oscillator through the trigger it becomes a hellish, dirty drone. I loving love it.

Also fun for ambient is putting a noise source through the input of Rings. It can create a really wonderful Boards of Canada-style string effect. If you want an example, I used it on this track - specifically, using the noise source from MN Telharmonic into Rings and using 0chd to slowly modulate the Centroid and Flux inputs.

gently caress, I love modular.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

creamcorn posted:

modular is kinda great for this, because it's more a matter of curation than active genesis of musical ideas. you set things up systematically, with vague ideas what will happen, and then turn knobs around until something good happens.

i was very depressed for a long time after covid took all my gigs away, and didn't even want to look at guitars/basses; loving around in vcv helped me get some passion for music back.

Big, big same. I've been making music in DAWs and trackers for 25 years now, but after 2014 I hit a long, intense dry spell. Getting into modular has really gotten me inspired again and I've even released an album for the first time since the dry spell began! Something about modular just clicks with my brain and is super easy to improvise and experiment with for me. Even if I were just to jam and noodle around for the rest of my life without releasing another new thing ever again, I'd be happy. Modular has been super fulfilling and worthwhile since I got into it a year ago.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

minidracula posted:

FWIW, for myself, some years back, I decided I'd just buy Behringer stuff used from now on if there was anything they made that I actually wanted to own.

This is what I do too. I've heard that their build quality on some things is super shoddy to undercut their competition, but so far my Neutron has been pretty solid. And honestly, the Neutron is a really great investment if you want a good semimodular on the cheap and want to start learning how patching works. Hell, it still surprises me with how much utility its patchbay has - An inverter, slew, CV mults and sums, attenuators, a noise channel, it's a ludicrous amount of synth for around $250 used. Plus, you can mount it in your eurorack if you have 80hp to spare. It shows up in practically every track I do these days in one way or another.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

kidfresca posted:

Korg announced a volca fm2 with double the polyphony of the original (6-voice vs 3). MIDI out, responds to velocity over MIDI in, patch randomization, shimmer reverb. Releases next month, didn't see a price.

Goddamn, as if I didn't already love the first version enough. :gizz:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

dexefiend posted:

That is the dream.

I may have missed the boat to be any good at music, but ... By God... My kids are going to have access to the cool poo poo I wish I had access to in my teenage years.

This is part of why I've gone to the effort of color-coding the jacks on as many of my modules as I can - so if my stepdaughter, or my nieces and nephews, want to play with my modular rig, they can have a better understanding of how things connect to each other (and hopefully not plug two outs together and damage something).

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

I've always fluctuated a lot in my creative drive and output. I've been in a lull lately, but considering I just released an album two months ago, I'm not stressing it. And I've been having fun just tinkering with a few new things I've added to my rig. :)

I went full Modular Hipster and built a Befaco Rampage rather than buy a Maths. Honestly I love this thing and I have enough attenuverters (Acid Rain Junction, ALM O/A/x2) that I don't miss having more. And having sliders instead of knobs for rise/fall is loving great. The only thing is that I seem to have botched the solder on one of the LEDs, so output B doesn't light up like it should, but considering what an insanely complex project it is (~150 resistors alone!) that's good enough for me!

Oh, do any of you have a) a spring reverb and b) a dog? If I hit or otherwise physically "play" my spring tank, my dog goes nuts and wants to lick or bite it. Do these things put out some high frequencies that would irritate dogs or something?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

/edit: Double posted

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

xzzy posted:

I was playing around with this in VCV a bit ago trying to solve a completely unrelated problem and found that feeding audio rate stuff into it is mega fun. All the self patching you can do on it makes some really insane waves too.

Honestly, Rampage is my new favorite distortion module in addition to its slew/envelope/LFO functions. The manual even suggests multiple ways to use it as one, in addition to all the other fun things it can do!

I've found that my favorite distortion modules are the ones that aren't dedicated to distortion: In addition to the Rampage, MI Kinks is a utility that can also mangle audio in multiple ways (logic gates for ring modulation, rectifiers for weirdness, sample&hold for bitcrushing), and I use my Instruo athru much more as a distortion than as a wavefolder. And the mixer I use, the SSF Vortices, has a nice warm saturation on all its inputs above about 60%, and it makes everything sound so drat good. I can even put eurorack-level signals through my Erica Pico Input and distort the holy gently caress out of them, since it's designed to step line level to eurorack level. I still kinda want the Viol Ruina and 100 Grit eventually, but as it is I already have so much distortion potential in my rig that it seems redundant.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

This has been coming for a while since Emilie said that Beads would be her last module for MI, but it still feels like the end of an era. Through both MI and the countless clones, her modules really helped grow and define the modern state of eurorack. And seeing another trans woman be such a powerful force in electronic music is really amazing. Between Kinks, Rings, Veils, Peaks and Grids, MI modules and their clones are a huge part of my setup and sound.

Pollyanna posted:

As much as I like the Drum, I feel like it’s more of an instrument or module than something to sketch out on. I get too lost in the weeds of sound design and making a kick or snare from scratch, and making a larger jam or track requires wiring it up to a controller and sequencer and piping it through the NTS-1 and getting the FM in the mix and christ what a pain in the rear end.

Considering I've moved most of my drum creation and sequencing over to modules, I've definitely debated trading in my Volca Drum. It can be fun to noodle around with sound designs but it's a pain in the rear end to actually make anything with. Maybe I'll spend some time making weird sounds for kits for my Rample and use the Drum to trade in towards something at Patchwerks.

I spent some time hanging out with a friend from Discord there yesterday and just jamming on their enormous modular rig, which also solidified a few things I've been thinking about in terms of effects modules: Beads is, like Clouds, not something I really mesh with, but I quite like the Erica Black Stereo Delay. Also the ALM MFX is a loving powerhouse for only being 6hp, as long as you don't mind using the same kind of mini-screen interface as on Pam's New Workout. Considering the Mimeophon has become an invisible unicorn, the MFX is really high on my list in its stead.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

MSPain posted:

i just finished up a somewhat aggressive electronic music EP. this is the best track imo:

https://soundcloud.com/borden-jardine/n_never-1?in=borden-jardine/sets/never-ep

the lead sound is a vintage korg mono/poly through a rat pedal :rock:

there is an accompanying doom wad if you are into that sort of thing:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/128975-never-doom2-pwadtechno-ep-release/

gently caress yeah, this rules. I need to do more of this poo poo on my modular rig.

Also I want to do music for WADs again, I did some PSX-DOOM style drone ambient for one back in the day: "downlord" got used in Job's map Point of No Return. And another one got used for the zombie map in Action Doom 2. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

They have a passive LPG module that's 2hp and super cheap and it rules. Although it does bizarre things if I try to trigger it with my Rampage without sticking a buffered mult between it, something about the impedance between the two being wonky.