Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Day 3 of having this SQ-64: running it into a QY100 is a lot of fun but I need to learn how to allocate midi channels and make them shake hands and whatnot. So back to Monty on a Friday night. SAD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

MSPain posted:

I like the weird chromatic part! but I tend to think atonal parts work well in techno

Thanks, and agreed!

petit choux posted:

Day 3 of having this SQ-64: running it into a QY100 is a lot of fun but I need to learn how to allocate midi channels and make them shake hands and whatnot. So back to Monty on a Friday night. SAD!

The SQ-64 tempted me for a bit as a brain for my Volcas but I decided on attempting to control them all with my keystep and beatstep. Happy to see your experiences are positive with it.

Mind if I plug the RetroKits RK-006 for all things midi-routing? It's highly customizable and uses TRS-A to standard MIDI DIN cable adapters.

https://retrokits.com/shop/rk006/

I was on the fence for a while but chatted with Gerrit for a couple days and I felt better with my purchase afterwards as it's incredibly versatile. Two MIDI inputs, 10 outputs, and a ton of customization for the cost. Only took a couple of days to ship to California from the Netherlands as well.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, got the SQ-64 talking to both the NTS-1 and the QY100, and got the QY receiving the drum tracks and one melodic track. I could fit more instruments into this if I want. I can send out to one more instrument from the SQ or have more inputs on the QY if so desired.

As for how you do it, on pg 64 of the manual for the QY are instructions for setting up recording. Step 3 they tell you to select realtime or overdub recording, overlooking the "multi" recording option. Select that one instead, and then if you just want to play without using the QY's sequencer you can back out of record mode at that point, I think is what I just did. There are 16 tracks within the QY and they are routed to MIDI channels 1-16, and that's it for me so far. Just going to play around with it a bit from here so maybe I'll recall some of how I did this tomorrow. And apparently you can choose different drums for each drum track in the QY as well. Just soaking in the polyrhythm RN.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the sq 64 seems like an awesome way to turn the qy 100 into a TR techno machine

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i started my whole music journey hunched over a qy70 for hours and hours in high school. i am getting nostalgia poisoning from your posts.

it took me so long to get used to *not* using that tiny mushy calculator button keyboard.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

You can actually customize the poo poo out of the drums on the QY via XG commands. It’s way way easier on the big one with the drum designer page tho

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

You can actually customize the poo poo out of the drums on the QY via XG commands. It’s way way easier on the big one with the drum designer page tho

Yeah, seems like just a little bit of a PITA with such a tiny screen and no backlight. As soon as my adapters arrive I'm bound to just connect my DTxplorer drum brain instead since it appears to have all these handy connectors for it. I don't really remember that drum brain being all that spectacular but it has a lot of drumsets anyway.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I've been missing a good sampler device for a long time. I want a simple machine I can map a different sample to each note on a keyboard, no computer, preferably high quality audio. What are my cheapest and most straightforward options? Any good DIY kits?

ED: I think I'm bound to get a SP-404 of some sort eventually.

And secondly, I've been long searching for a MIDI controlled audio switcher, which I'd try to use for making beats probably. Anybody know of good hardware option for one of those?

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 7, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I got a cheap camcorder so I can record myself building stuff. My intention was something a bit more in depth about building, but I wasn't totally happy with that, so I just made a music video of sped up build footage. Not sure where I'm going to go from here.

This one is for a Frequency Central Stasis Leak, which is a chorus/delay/reverb effect, but only does one at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpYlZzgGsZs

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

I've been missing a good sampler device for a long time. I want a simple machine I can map a different sample to each note on a keyboard, no computer, preferably high quality audio. What are my cheapest and most straightforward options? Any good DIY kits?

No computer as in the device itself or no computer involved at all and all operations on the machine itself?Because the latter is an absolute pain, I can tell you. For the former - Korg Wavestate. Dump lots of samples in there, affordable, nifty editor.

Older gear has limited memory, doesn’t understand .wav files, or doesn’t support more than 4 samples over the entire range of the keyboard. By the time you have a monitor and a mouse hooked up to a Roland S330 or so that reads from a SCSI disk you have a computer again :v:

quote:

And secondly, I've been long searching for a MIDI controlled audio switcher, which I'd try to use for making beats probably. Anybody know of good hardware option for one of those?

You mean something like a mixer that mutes channels by MIDI messages?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

I've been missing a good sampler device for a long time. I want a simple machine I can map a different sample to each note on a keyboard, no computer, preferably high quality audio. What are my cheapest and most straightforward options?

get a couple of parrots

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Microgranny is 3/4 things (including DIY) but the point is it sounds like poo poo (and the keyboard is 6 keys)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Laserjet 4P posted:

No computer as in the device itself or no computer involved at all and all operations on the machine itself?Because the latter is an absolute pain, I can tell you. For the former - Korg Wavestate. Dump lots of samples in there, affordable, nifty editor.

Older gear has limited memory, doesn’t understand .wav files, or doesn’t support more than 4 samples over the entire range of the keyboard. By the time you have a monitor and a mouse hooked up to a Roland S330 or so that reads from a SCSI disk you have a computer again :v:

You mean something like a mixer that mutes channels by MIDI messages?

Wow that Korg Wavestate looks like a good candidate.

Okay, yes, something that mutes, unmutes by MIDI messages. And if it can automate panning and volume too. Say I'm just running 8 audio inputs from whatever, what will get me where I can sequence those actions? Just a good mixer with USB do that for me nowadays?

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

petit choux posted:

As of right now the MIDI implementation on the SP-404 mk2 leaves a lot to be desired, but an impressive 160 samples are readily accessible via MIDI at any given moment. The bad news is that the mk2 hogs 10 or 11 MIDI channels, so you're left with 5 or 6 (barring some creative workarounds) to sequence the rest of your gear and swapping MIDI channels on the fly varies a lot in difficulty between different controllers and sequencers. The mk2 is also not going to receive much of anything else over MIDI beyond sample triggers, velocity, and clock. CC messages, program changes, and transport are completely absent.

I'm still probably going to get one though. I don't really see people recommending other samplers over the mk2 for reasons not related to onboard sequencers, which is hard to care about when I own two standalone sequencers.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

petit choux posted:

Roland Mc101 (if you want to be cheap and use external control surfaces) MC707 (also a mixer!) can do this in a way. You can make a drum track and then put a different sample on each of the 16 pads, all of which are mapped to midi notes and can be triggered by an external keyboard. You could use two tracks if you want more than 16 sounds, and I think you could set the midi recieve channel on both tracks to the same channel so you could span more notes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Used circuit rhythm would be like $250

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Used circuit rhythm would be like $250

That's a fact Jack. You have one don't you?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I have a circuit rhythm and i like it a lot. Being able to sample directly into it is great.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Donner has a TB-303 clone now. It's more expensive than the TD-3, though not by much.

The copy claims it has a more intuitive sequencer and user interface. Aside from that, the only added feature is a built-in delay. If the retro aesthetic of the Behringer doesn't do it for you, the Donner B1 looks comparatively very sleek and modern.

I'm too lazy to post a picture, but here's a link:
https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/05/donner-b1-chinese-low-budget-music-tech-brand-releases-its-first-analog-synthesizer.html

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I'm seriously tempted to buy one just to have another different 303

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Synths and Synthesis MkII: buy another more different 303

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Startyde posted:

All gear is poo poo, hail Satan

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Ugh, I really love music made with the 303 but I just did not gel with the behringer one i tried. That actually looks cool and more useable. I should really just try the ornaments and crime 303 sequencer on my modular.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got a shirt for having a patch be featured in a Strega community patch video! Who says music doesn't pay.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

watho posted:

net work error posted:

Got a shirt for having a patch be featured in a Strega community patch video! Who says music doesn't pay.

:nice: Congrats!

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

CatBlack posted:

Beautiful. I need more 303s

minidracula posted:

Buy all the 30things. (I have eight.)

CatBlack posted:

I'm seriously tempted to buy one just to have another different 303

minidracula posted:

watho posted:

minidracula posted:

field balm posted:

Ugh, I really love music made with the 303 but I just did not gel with the behringer one i tried. That actually looks cool and more useable. I should really just try the ornaments and crime 303 sequencer on my modular.

minidracula posted:

kidfresca posted:

Donner has a TB-303 clone now. It's more expensive than the TD-3, though not by much.

The copy claims it has a more intuitive sequencer and user interface. Aside from that, the only added feature is a built-in delay. If the retro aesthetic of the Behringer doesn't do it for you, the Donner B1 looks comparatively very sleek and modern.

I'm too lazy to post a picture, but here's a link:
https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/05/donner-b1-chinese-low-budget-music-tech-brand-releases-its-first-analog-synthesizer.html
I think there's lots of low-price options if you don't want the 303-style user interface experience, and just the sounds. I guess their thing is "hey, it's still all analog, but we made the UI/UX better, and it's still inexpensive like Behringer"? Honestly I'm likely to wait on this and get one used, but unlikely to not get one eventually, because:

minidracula posted:

But in the meantime one of you here should totally get one when it hits shelves and report back.

CatBlack, did you ever get your TT-303 v1 MIDI splitter cable from the the seller you bought it from?

minidracula fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 8, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

net work error posted:

extremely dope, congrats! which one?

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
This is also the first Chinese-designed synth I’ve heard of, I’m hoping to see more Chinese firms design their own synths.

President Xi, my people yearn for robot farts.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

DukeDuke posted:

This is also the first Chinese-designed synth I’ve heard of, I’m hoping to see more Chinese firms design their own synths.

Meng Qi is probably a better go-to here, not to hate on Donner but I'm not sure how much design there is left to do on a 303 clone at this point. (Or where you draw the China-not China line for, say, Music Tribe)

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

DukeDuke posted:

There's others, but you may not have come across them. Different markets and all that. In the sort of "prestige" brand/market segment, Ashun Sound Machines (ASM) is another that hit that market out of nowhere/cut from whole cloth a few years ago. Although Glen Darcey is involved too, Dominic Au and others are behind that company/brand, and it spun out of Medeli, IIRC.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

extremely dope, congrats! which one?

The latest one for Strega patches. My theory is not enough people submitted them so I just got lucky.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

You can't say this and not post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVflFSUSz70

Still a few weeks until my own Strega arrives to finish this bad boy:

I had a aha moment today realizing I can add kick steps to my 0-coast jams by patching gate outs from 0-ctrl to the lin fm input of 0-coast. Having a lot of fun trying to create something resembling to a track with just the small make noise synths as a constraint. Can't wait for the Strega to come in.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

Donner can be hit or miss, but they're probably most affectionately known for a few absurdly cheap yet killer delay pedals, so the added delay on their 303 is probably good.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Still a few weeks until my own Strega arrives to finish this bad boy:

I had a aha moment today realizing I can add kick steps to my 0-coast jams by patching gate outs from 0-ctrl to the lin fm input of 0-coast. Having a lot of fun trying to create something resembling to a track with just the small make noise synths as a constraint. Can't wait for the Strega to come in.

I'm waiting for 0-coasts to get back in stock to finish the trio.

The Strega was really freeing for me so I'm hoping the 0-coast will add to that.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

The Strega was really freeing for me so I'm hoping the 0-coast will add to that.

Coming back to the 0-coast from the B&G I feel like I can finally see the full potential of all its sections. It's really nice that you have so many utilities available; mixer, mult, attenuverter, a slew limiter, some kind of LPG, a LFO with variable slopes, crossfader, etc... I wasn't really seeing its whole potential initially

e: also the kids love playing with this mini modular setup

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 8, 2022

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

minidracula posted:

CatBlack, did you ever get your TT-303 v1 MIDI splitter cable from the the seller you bought it from?

No, they say they lost it. I will have to cope by buying more 303s

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

kidfresca posted:

Donner can be hit or miss, but they're probably most affectionately known for a few absurdly cheap yet killer delay pedals, so the added delay on their 303 is probably good.

To me they're where a Boss circuit ends up between Joyo and Behringer. So the order is a little weird but very much in their wheelhouse.

net work error posted:

Guessing no but do you have a spare of either of the others you'd wanna trade for one? Trying to get my own fauxic easel lol

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Coming back to the 0-coast from the B&G I feel like I can finally see the full potential of all its sections. It's really nice that you have so many utilities available; mixer, mult, attenuverter, a slew limiter, some kind of LPG, a LFO with variable slopes, crossfader, etc... I wasn't really seeing its whole potential initially

e: also the kids love playing with this mini modular setup

big same here. Like I spent a couple years recreating all my favorite things in fuller featured modules, only to realize that I was basically happy w/ it as is. Except I wish the LPG was vactrol-y-er.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Finally got some cables & my usb ground loop isolator. Some fucker convinced the amazon delivery guy that they were the concierge in our building (we don't have one, it wasn't our usual delivery dude) and made off with a bunch of packages including the one that had the usb-c hub I've been waiting for :argh: enjoy my replacement toothbrush heads dude. In a rare first, Amazon must have figured it out from somebody else, they issued a refund before I could bother to.

Also, I love how when you buy cables from nice companies, a 1.5ft or 5ft cable is that length from the beginning of the connection instead of the end. Bought some cheapie 7" cables and they included the length of both connectors in the measurement, so it's really more like a 5" cable lol. The one going from the aux out to the OP-Z in was supposed to be long enough to comfortably reach from the aux to the inputs on the top of the unit.

Other than doing cursed things with stacked splitters, is anyone aware of a compact 1->4 3.5mm cable/hub? Didn't have much success searching. It would be neat to loop the aux out back in through the remaining 4 inputs to do eq segmented pans/effects/etc.

You can configure which tracks go to the aux send, and whether it's pre/post mix (eq/compressor/effects/limiter). So here I have the OP-Z going out over the aux unmixed to the OP-1, which comes back over its own channel. This way the sliders function as dry/wet, and I can double dip on effects like chorus or delay. The only thing I really wish it had is internal multichannel loopbacks, but managing that with LEDs or a small screen wouldn't be that great.

It's stupid how much of a difference having just eq, compression, and a limiter makes for these things. Neither are really loud enough on their own. The chorus is really nice and does a great job of adding width

Once the hub gets here I'll post some tracks. I really love being able to borrow the USB-C cable from my mouse, and then open up OBS and switch to a scene that has the TX-6 added as an audio device. This way I can keep using my wireless headphones, and I don't have to choose between listening to the desktop or what I'm working on. I guess I could use a DAW or something, but obs opens quicker. Not being tethered down feels so luxurious

Oh, and I couldn't figure out how to open the TX-6. I had the correct security screw, but after you take them out (there are just 2) the next step is not apparent. I poked and pulled at the few gaps available with spudgers but nothing wanted to move in an obvious direction. Would love to convince iFixIt to rip one open, I wonder if they used adhesive or it's just some clever sliding mechanism.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Guessing no but do you have a spare of either of the others you'd wanna trade for one? Trying to get my own fauxic easel lol

I've only got one of each right now but if you need a Strega there are a few places that have them in stock like Perfect Circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

They have a passive LPG module that's 2hp and super cheap and it rules. Although it does bizarre things if I try to trigger it with my Rampage without sticking a buffered mult between it, something about the impedance between the two being wonky.