Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Skeletron posted:

Did someone say 707?

https://soundcloud.com/traxus12/polysix-707

I'm just now starting to get back into making sounds after finally having my battery-damaged PolySix resurrected from the dead last week (that's a picture of the old CPU board on the Soundcloud). It takes 30 minutes to get into tune but I'm digging the hell out of it.

Did you multitrack or is the polysix multi timbral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

renderful posted:

From what I understand, the UI is Java. The About window in Bitwig shows the Java version, so I'd say it is required. That being said, the UI is very smooth in response and rendering.

So far, I am impressed. I just got some incredibly alive/moving polysynth tones using the built in polysynth, LFO, blur effect and frequency shifter. The ability to openly map LFOs within the built in devices is super intuitive and powerful. Although, while doing so, Bitwig is using 21% of my CPU with only 1 channel and the synth/effects/control chain I've described. This has lead to some audio glitches while switching apps. My work computer is a 2008 Macbook, but Ableton's audio engine is far more tolerant of low performance, although when you consider that I'm doing modulation things that would usually require Max4Live(which takes A LOT of resources compared to vanilla Ableton) I can let it off the hook.

I imagine that optimization will occur in short order, and that most people will be using better machines than this one. Even so, I can imagine myself using the demo to export audio. Even though I can't save, I can patch up some really interesting instruments/effects chains immediately and record them directly into Live or whatever.

What's also interesting is that each new track starts off with its volume fader at half, rather than almost full. This could lead to more headroom being the rule rather than the exception.

I've gotten three different answers on whether having more headroom in digital recording is good or not. I'm so confused. Mixing thread was like "uhh headroom doesn't matter in digital" but in the home recording thread it was recommended to record to -6dB

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Maschine is about the software more than the controller. I start most of my tracks in Maschine as loops then use Ableton for arrangement, mixing, FX automation. Though I also do preliminary mixing and some FX in Maschine. It's easier to draw a filter cutoff envelope opening over 4 bars or whatever in Live than Maschine, seeing visual envelopes is nice. FX automation is based on quantized discrete values in Maschine as opposed to a continuous envelope like in Live, meaning you've got to specify the level at each step independently.

I really like the new drum synths in Maschine 2.0.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Avalanche posted:

What would be a better beginner synth option assuming money (no more than $600) isn't really an issue? The Korg MS20 Mini, or the Arturia Minibrute?

I'm looking for something that I can use independently from a DAW if I want to, but something I can also plug into a DAW with no problem. I want to take music lessons again to build up my theory, but I want a fun instrument that doesn't necessarily require a laptop and a fuckton of wires and other stuff to get working.

I'm guessing the mini? Is there any other beginner synth out there someone could recommend?

You realize both of those are monophonic(only one note can be played at a time), yes? Just asking because you mentioned taking lessons -- you aren't going to be playing chords on either of those(unless you sample and layer).

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Your Computer posted:

The OP-1 seems neat and all, but I think the biggest negative thing to be said about it is the price. As far as I can see, it's not that expensive because it's a technical marvel, it's that expensive because it's halfway between a synth and a fashion accessory kinda like a lot of Apple products. In other words, a neat toy for rich hipsters.

It's a technical marvel in the way Apple products are -- the screen on the OP-1 is absolutely beautiful. No one else has bothered putting a screen that nice in a groovebox type device. The fact that Teenage Engineering supplies new instruments via firmware updates is cool too. The size and weight of the device is surprisingly little for such a powerful machine.

At the least, I hope it shows other manufacturers a direction they could be going in. I don't personally think I would buy one, after playing with a friend's for a while. I wound up getting the slightly more expensive Octatrack.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Your Computer posted:

The Blofeld I bought from Your Dead Gay Son just arrived. This thing's awesome! I've heard it's easy to program, but I wasn't expecting it to be this easy. Going to have tons of fun with it :dance:

I don't own a cat to put on it, but here it is with a tiny rabbit-shaped speaker:

The irony here is that programming a Blofeld is about the same as programming a MicroKorg which people say is hard :ssh:

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I actually got Animoog when it was on sale for like five bucks, it's a fantastic synth and I keep getting tempted to see if I could control it through Live and bounce the audio. I'm actually more looking into composition apps than synths though. I'll take a look into the suggestions as well as the other thread, thanks.

BeatMaker 2 when it's on sale for $5. Pretty awesome overall. It's similar to the Maschine software, I would say. Has MIDI and AudioBus/audio capture support(I think they've added it natively now?). Plenty of built in sound packs, and they update the software still.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

sliderule posted:

Gotta be honest, half of the reason I'm rompler hunting is for pizzicato and tremolo strings. I can't believe how hard it is to find a decent unit at a reasonable price, though.

80s Rolands, 90s Yamahas can be had fairly cheap!

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
The paraphonic features on the Pro 2 are pretty sweet, do other mono synths have that?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

renderful posted:

Cool stuff thanks. Sup fellow Ruby buddy. I'm currently writing distributed systems using Celluloid and JRuby, fun stuff!

I wouldn't recommend a dedicated SC thread, but maybe an SC, Overtone, PD, Max/MSP, ChucK, STK and other music programming thread. I know that the Max/MSP thread recently got eaten up by archives, and it had posts every so often.

How many programmers are in here? I recently moved to security research but was a developer for 9 years. Perl, PHP, and Python primarily.

I would definitely be interested in seeing the Max thread come back as a general programmatic music thread. The posters there helped me stumble through my noob problems learning the basics of PD.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
How do you send bank changes from an Octatrack to a Blofeld? The program change knob works but not the bank change. I also tried assigning knobs to midi cc 0 and 32, no luck! :(

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

How do you send bank changes from an Octatrack to a Blofeld? The program change knob works but not the bank change. I also tried assigning knobs to midi cc 0 and 32, no luck! :(

No Octatrack/Blofeld users here? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Startyde posted:

MnM here, should be similar because elektron doesn't change much. MSB(0) works save it won't choose bank A for whatever reason. LSB(32) works as expected. This is both sending the changes immediately as well as plocking them to trigless trigs and hitting play.
Make sure you've got the CC set properly for the track/channel and set to the blofeld's channel. Make sure the blofeld is on a later firmware, I remember there being bugs with bank change on earlier ones. I'm running 1.15.

It's 0-7 for the banks A-G, btw.

Thanks...

On the Octatrack, you can assign knobs to MIDI CCs on a MIDI track's "ctrl 1/2" pages. I am controlling the Blofeld and can send some MIDI CCs -- like i can assign pitch bend or freq cutoff or volume no problem -- but CC 0 and 32 don't seem to do anything for me.

And I'm running 1.16b2 :/

If I wanted to select patch H128, what should I expect? CC0 7 and CC32 127? That does nothing :(

Edit: oh, you have to click the bank knob then the program knob, and they can't be sent independently of each other. Got it now. Weird you can't select bank A tho

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 5, 2015