Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
For some reason I completely misread the date on the next batch of TR8s shipping and I thought I'd have to wait until the end of April but instead they're going to be in again on the 25th of this month - so I sincerely hope mine gets here next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mrwimmer posted:

Nothing much, just wishing for the millionth time that the on board delay was useful at all, and then remembering that it doesn't matter cause the rest of the synth is pretty well genius.

Get yourself a TC Electronic M300 or 350 or something, hook it up as a dedicated insert, and stop wishing.

The on-board compressor is a surprisingly useful thing, by the way.

tehschulman posted:

Who likes the Korg Poly 800?!

Don't bother. Build yourself a Shruthi, those are more fun and sound better.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 24, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I thought the plugin sandboxing was supposed to prevent that?

Any grognard summing engine comparisons yet, by the way?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I decided what I need to burn all my money doing:

It'd be the best setup for never making anything ever.

No no no no no. Replace the MOTU with a Mackie CR-1604 and a standalone CD-burner (or DAT recorder if you're particularly masochistic), and the shiny fancy speedy laptop with an Atari 1040ST. Replace the TB3 with an Akai S3000XL.

If you're going to do nothing, at least do nothing with hipster cred :colbert:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Sjoewe posted:

I've seen SH-101's go here for 1200 Euro's.
gently caress that.

Said the guy who paid full price for a Juno 60. :v:

I also should have gotten one when they were still 450. Lots of fun. (I paid 800 for mine)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stop reading my mind :psyduck:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
What interests me is the uncanny valley of synth sounds - think Yamaha VL-series, physical modeling DSP poo poo. It sounds like a regular instrument, and then bends into itself and does something; that's kick-rear end.

(in the right hands, of course)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

Sample library controversy: A company called Binary Music just released a Kontakt library that's basically just the entire bank of original D-50 presets (for only $23!).
I was ready to blast this one because lots of this poo poo appears on eBay and it's usually some rear end in a top hat who bought a Fantom/Motif/Kronos, hooked it up to a lovely computer, installed SampleRobot or AutoSampler or whatever, and let it run for a week or so, but it appears that they actually did their homework and sampled stuff separately and dry the way it should be done.

quote:

Roland's copyrighted work

http://www.synthmania.com/sr-jv80-06.htm (to Roland's credit, this was outsourced and they pulled it after they noticed that AMG pulled a fast one)

While Persing is correct (I really would like to pick his brain about the way sound design was done back then, because I think I've reverse-engineered some tricks) someone actually did put work in building this library and didn't do it half-assed like the aforementioned SampleRobot poo poo. Roland should simply buy them out, build a self-contained plugin, and sell it for 5 times the price. Hey - it worked for Korg.

quote:

I'm half wanting to grab it, as the D-50 was one of my dream synths of the 80s
D50s are still relatively affordable. Get one. Just put it under your bed, that's what MIDI was invented for.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sorry, this is already the next thread title:

No, this should be:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Perhaps having my first hardware drum machine will re-invigorate me.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

Facebook blows, but I just discovered some buried comments where Persing was answering peoples' questions about the matter. He says that the PCMs used on the D-50 were his as well

Then he had the right lawyers because that's a pretty sweet deal.

quote:

But that's where my SY85 is. (Really.) I don't even have rack space for a 550.

I also have one of these Yamaha monsters of yesterday but the SY is at least more capable than my W5. Unlike your SY85 I can't probably even give my W5 away :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
And now it's Page Not Found on Synthtopia but hey I've got 2 .rar files here with the D-50 library so welp.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

The Cleaner posted:

Always thought that was kinda interesting, how it was done more out of desperation.

shitloads of things were done out of desperation

it's just that nowadays they take the form of buying 20 multiband comps and putting them all on the master so you hope it's going to be a hit

BKPR posted:

I have a question for those of you who actually still make music:

:argh:

renderful posted:

Think about the frequency range you're trying to occupy with said synth and modify/design the patch accordingly. Use a spectrum analyzer if you need to visualize. Keep this in mind as you're adding elements.

FabFilter stuff is pretty sweet for this btw, also read http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial if you haven't done so yet.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not really, I want to do it myself and I feel like it's cheating

There's no such thing as "cheating" in music. There's only lying :colbert:

Also, don't make your kick design process part of your composition process. Just spend a day cranking out just kicks. Then use those results.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Call it the Duchamp urinal limit

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Bolange posted:

Is there a good midi controller that is just (or mostly) knobs/sliders that would be suitable for this?

Behringer BCR2000. However, a word of warning: a whole load of knobs don't make a more immersive experience.

The thing about HW synths is that their knobs and sliders are usually grouped in logical little islets. With the BCR you just get a grid.

Using another HW synth with loads of knobs (say, an Alesis Ion) to control a plugin that doesn't match also ruins immersion a bit.

quote:

I'd like to be able to hit pads on the Novation and change the patch that is configured in Massive
That's probably tricky since I don't think Massive reacts to regular MIDI program changes. Unless you wrap it in AutoMap first, then that might work.

quote:

These sorts of things seem like they'd be feasible but I have no idea where to get a solid foundation in how to script all this.

Any good manual has a MIDI implementation chart, but that's not going tell you much. MIDI sends a message; the trick is to craft the message and to convince the LaunchKey software to send that instead of a note.

quote:

Lastly, assuming I was going to pickup a HW synth at some point, what's the deal with the Aria System-1?

Nobody knows yet. Wait until it's actually for sale, though there's a good chance that it's a public beta of sorts and that they'll release a bigger system with more DSP eventually. Or not, and then it's going to bomb like the VariOS.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I grabbed one. If you want more variety, get an Electribe SX or something. It's a really simple unit and perhaps it'll drive the point home that a 909 is also a pretty simple unit since it's not likely that anyone's going to be using song mode anyway, it's probably all realtime programming and switching patterns.

I think it's pretty nice :frogbon:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

HaB posted:

Guess I need to find a Rosetta stone which will translate "simple 2 oscillator synth" -> Kronosian. (Kronosese? Kronorian?)

Korgese :colbert:

You have several engines, so it depends on which one you're using. The Synth 1 principles can be applied to the AL-1 or Polysix but are no help whatsoever with MOD-7. Focus on one engine at a time (Polysix for starters is nice and simple), start from an initialized patch, and forget about MOD-7 for the time.

quote:

Funny how old habits die hard. My only issue so far is that I'm POUNDING the keys, since you pretty much had to do that with the Juno since it felt so cheap/lovely. I am having to learn how to play with some semblance of TOUCH again. :)

Check the manual for the section about velocity curves (it's likely a global setting, i.e. affecting the entire synth and stored in memory as opposed per patch) - you might use that to un-learn the bad habits faster.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The Voyager Old School is probably not worth the effort compared to a regular Voyager. It is however more sexy, with its distinct lack of display.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I love the quality of the sound from these and I think they'd make a perfect controller keyboard.

The keyboard feel is really not great though, barely a cut above the Alesis Ion - but I've got high standards :shobon:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dessert Rose posted:

Oh good god. I don't need more instruments (it's not like I've even scratched the surface of Massive), but $200 for Komplete 9 may be too good to pass up.

If you want 3 or more NI plugins (or 2 and one of those is Kontakt) Komplete is a really good deal. I bit the bullet to go from 9 to 9 Ultimate, it's worth it just because you're not shoving DVDs all night.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

unclenutzzy posted:

I have a Yamaha KX8 that suffers from extreme latency

Latency is a problem with your sound card's drivers, not with your controller.

Do you have an audio interface, or are you using the on-board soundcard? In the first case, install the ASIO drivers and select those in your DAW.

In the second case, buy a real audio interface instead of a potato, or, as a stopgap measure, install ASIO4ALL. While ASIO4ALL will do an adequate job reducing latency, it won't give you better/more inputs/outputs, which is why you should buy an audio interface anyway.

Audio interfaces won't magically make everything faster, but their drivers provide low-latency access for the software - which means that rendered audio will take milliseconds to arrive instead of seconds because it has to punch through a dozen software layers.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The Easel had me completely stumped. It just refused to listen to me and did its own unpredictable thing.

On the other hand you could consider following mrs. Ciani, lock yourself up for a year and make an album :getin:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Radiapathy posted:

If they're 1/4" TS (unbalanced) and you use a TRS/balanced cable you can lose a huge amount of signal

Oh. Oh.

I wish I had known this before blowing money on balanced patch cables.

For the patchbay itself it doesn't matter much, right?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've never heard of them. Did they spend three hours and use several thousand dollars of gear making an acid loop?

They also have a Niio Iotine Core. Is that a required standard for techno?

Here, also fun:

http://youtu.be/xepdHwUvC3E

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
ROBOT FART BOX

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ynohtna posted:

That's totally doable and quite simple, but prepare to experience some pain during the implementation. Lemur's custom kinda-C programming language is pitifully slapdash and under-developed, and the Lemur editor totally gives no fucks for lubricating the coding process.

I recall that guys were crapping on the iPad since it was inferior and underpowered compared to their own hardware. It's weird how they completely overlooked the rapid technological development of general-purpose computing hardware (and the willingness of the public to bear with it until it gets really good) - and from the sound of your quote it seems like they got stuck like BlackBerry.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Read http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/918430-i-went-modular-what-have-i-done.html

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

but I'm trying to figure out if there's any real reason to get Suite vs. regular

max4live :getin:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Swagger Dagger posted:

That said, I don't know why on earth their 49-key keyboard rates a $600 price tag.

High-quality keyboard, shitload of colored lights, huge LED scribble strip. Yeah, it's not cheap and most likely v2 will be better but I'm still interested.

quote:

but it doesn't have actual pitch/mod wheels

These can do a bit more than pitch/mod (you could for instance move the mod strip all the way up, release, and then have the modulation act like a bouncing ball).

Here, have something else that's not cheap with no pitch/modwheels: http://www.modulus.me/

AxeBreaker posted:

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

A Gaia is a beefed-up SH-32 including the "disable the filters and switch to mono when you enable oscillator sync" idiocy. It's hated by everyone who insists that Roland should use all the SH stuff only for REAL ANALOG, lots of others probably like it because you get a shitload of sliders for not that much money.

Go try a Novation Ultranova, costs the same as the Gaia (well, at Sweetwater at least). Also has a pretty neat vocoder.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 2, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Trust me: it can get way worse than that.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

I can finally live my dream of stomping on an anime character. A dickgirl with a metal choad, no less.

*~* b-baka-senpai.. p-please no more Smoke on the Waterr -_-; *~*

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

ynohtna posted:

Even as an iPhone & iPad owner, I'm cringing to gently caress at the need to use an App to get samples on that device.

Roland did it correctly. The TR8 shows up as a bog-standard USB drive. Drag a .bin file in there, blam - ready for an OS update.

Likewise, this could've been a lot cheaper/easier if they added an USB port and made it show up in the OS as a class-compliant flash drive.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Lichtenstein posted:

It's got a somewhat unintutive interface (my envelope release ain't working at all. You'd think one has to do some tweaking of the DCA4, clearly depicted as the final output of the sound, but nope, it's the random rear end unlabeled ENV4 with no particular destination)
That depends if the envelopes are hardwired or not.

Also, the envelope volume release is not working if your filter is closed all the way and has a release of zero (the sound will still be there, the lowpass filter will just muffle it into oblivion). Make the filter envelope the same, or take the filter out of the loop entirely by moving the cutoff all the way up and setting filter envelope modulation to zero.

quote:

Working straight off blank INIT, I've noticed all three noise waveforms have a very computer-ish sound, more like the weird noises a 56k dial-up modem does, rather how a proper white noise sounds. Is it how it's supposed to be, or is there a knob to fix it?
Likely how it's supposed to be; the noise in there is likely a sample instead of a proper analog noise source.

Fun (no, boring actually) fact: Synth1 uses (or at least used to) a pseudo-random generator for a noise signal. PSRNs re-set when they're re-triggered, and guess what osc sync does :v:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
"Hybrid" only if they have analog filters (DW8000, ESQ-1). "Wavetable" only if they allow PPG-style wavetable scrolling (the "wavetable" in 90s soundcards was a marketing term).

Otherwise they're just romplers. That's not necessarily a derogatory term, it's just that arranger keyboards use that technology as well, but they usually restrict the kind of editing you can do while a Motif or Fantom won't.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

sliderule posted:

Actually tempted to do this on an FPGA instead. It seems REALLY simple in that domain.

Hi-res quarter sinewave in a lookup table and read it at variable speeds derived from a MHz clock, right?

There's some dude on Gearslutz called acreil who's got a wealth of information on DX-style FM strewn through his posts, and I think he's coded some proof-of-concepts as well, but not on FPGAs as far as I know.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 16, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
And it'll take both kinds of SIDs.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Nope and that sounds a lot like getting into the details I was trying to ignore. :(

Resample the notes that sound good.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I wish I knew why Roland feels it so necessary to have all these classic acid house artists promote the ARIA line.

Target audience. The people who have been doing the whole "Roland didn't do anything right after the 80s" and who want a $1000 Jupiter 8 rerelease are not going to be swayed by modern artists.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

Guys, I think I found the best GAS cure: Stop buying sub-$500 synths
Also because you take quite a hit on them if you want to sell them and getting rid of cheap unwanted stuff takes ages.

quote:

Alternatively, spend a day on Gearslutz. Never been on the site much before, but my god, nothing will make me want gear less than reading through people's $10,000+ pissing matches.

There is a studio pics thread there and every time I see a picture I think "am I willing to do a full swap?" and in the vast majority of cases the answer is "no", which makes me feel pretty good about how things are now.

The 20K synth dude is actually a pretty humble guy and he posts sound demos, it's the "well I have a vintage synth and you don't so you are literally subhuman filth but lol at expecting one second of music" types that are insufferable.

You are not a goddamn professional if you can not whip up a demo in 10 minutes. Either you can't play, or everything is in shambles, or nothing is hooked up, or you are hilariously incompetent at the internet because even eight-year olds know how to upload videos to Youtube.

Your Computer posted:

Anyone know of any similar bands to Kraftwerk, what with the all-electronic, kinda minimal approach?

Xeno and Oaklander?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CxUqzytLX4

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
compile?

funroll loops

gitwave

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

http://instagram.com/p/xAJojhHVmV/

edit: let's not break tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

AxeBreaker posted:

Anybody have any idea what the difference between the SYNC oscillators and the SYN Oscillators is?

Oscillator sync implemented as a single oscillator with one single knob adjusts the osc sync amount - i.e. the detune between master and slave osc. Changing this gets you this metallic, ripping sound. On classic analogs you would need to sacrifice an oscillator for that, since you would only be hearing the synced signal. On VAs and plugins it can be part of the oscillator model.

"Syn" by itself usually means synthetic, so it could be something using the DWGS waveforms.

tl,dr: if you change the oscillator parameter and you don't hear a circular saw, it's not sync.