Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I missed out on the setup posting on the first page, so I figured I can try to catch up here:

That's your entire setup? I figured you would have like twice as much gear!

Oh but you're trying to consolidate before you move, huh? :v:

(Those KRKs are hot. Much hotter than my M-Audio monitors.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's what I need: a synth wall. Although how do you comfortably play the one at the top? :stare:

Or is the answer simply "you don't."?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm seriously considering going to Guitar Center tomorrow and walking out with a Volca Beats and syncing it to my Microbrute and making analog synth fart jams. Is this a good idea? Y/N

I keep forgetting I have the Microbrute because I don't have any desk space so I have the thing in a laptop case in my closet, and I feel like I need to get some good use out of it to justify that purchase. Plus I've never owned a drum machine before, only a MIDI drum pad controller, and I feel like I need one to play around with. I watched a bunch of videos on the Volca Beats and it looks like a fun toy.

I was looking at the TR-8 too but that's $500 and I'm not sure I have that kind of money to spend on something like that now. Would it make a better first hardware drum machine though? If so I guess I could save my money and get one of those eventually.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HotCanadianChick posted:

You should get neither, and buy a Rhythm Wolf instead. :getin:
Ahh, right! That's the one! I remember reading about it in I think the last thread (or maybe it was earlier on in this one?), I just couldn't remember what it was called.

$50 more for a more fully featured box that also has a bass synth? Yes. Please.

When are those coming out? I guess I can hold out for that :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sjoewe posted:

So I tried to make some music, and then this happened.

https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/cosmic-love

Do I need to go and see some sort of therapist now?
I feel like I just beat a Super Nintendo game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SineRider posted:

EQing is second biggest obstacle stopping people from making music, next to buying synths.
This is the truth. My last album was an EQing nightmare and I thought I'd been on the right track with it but I really, really wasn't and it ended up not sounding all that great overall and I felt disappointed in myself for even releasing it at all and I never listen to anymore. The reason I haven't put out anything since then (late 2012) besides demos here and there is mainly because I can never seem to EQ just right. I don't know why, but before that last album, it felt easy and never felt like something I had to put much effort into with everything else I put out.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ynohtna posted:

EQing problems tend to go hand in hand with tired ears/mind and unfamiliar monitoring conditions. Take a break. Pet an animal.

Edit: also tweak the overall monitoring volume up and down, and change your listening position (including from outside the room) so issues stick out easier.
Well I had this problem all throughout 2013 and I'm still having it to this day, so I guess I'm just in a slump. I have all these ideas up in the old noggin, but I feel like EQing will be the death of them. I've tried tweaking monitoring positions and I feel like that helps for some issues but not for others. Hopefully I can get out of this hole someday.

Maybe I need more synths. But I just loving bought a Microbrute a few months ago. Although I'm still convinced I need a Rhythm Wolf when they come out. Perhaps having my first hardware drum machine will re-invigorate me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sizone posted:

You could, you know, always get someone else to do your mix for you.
Yeah, but the only friend of mine who has a legit studio uses FL, and fuuuuuuuuuck that. Maybe he's got Ableton too though. I haven't used that in a while but I would if it means he could tweak my mixes and make 'em pop.

I use Reason primarily and have since I first started producing years ago, and no one else I know uses it. But I've got Ableton too and I mess around in there every so often.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sizone posted:

Nothing really preventing you from exporting each track as an individual audio file. Just 'cause you make your poo poo in reason doesn't mean it needs to stay in it.
That's true. I sequence it all in Reason too, though, and have different effects in Reason getting enabled/disabled at different times for different tracks and such. I suppose I could export individual tracks, import 'em into a different DAW and find equivalent solutions in that DAW, but that would take a lot of time and may not turn out quite the way it did in Reason.

Unless all that info gets exported as well...

(I'm assuming it doesn't but I don't know because I've never tried it before)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ynohtna posted:

You'd have to flail through a mile of ego to get within spitting distance of Eric's brain, Laserjet!

And, Rageaholic Against the Monkey Machine: yeah having a palette of sounds that's preselected to sit well with each other can help with EQ problems. Whether the Widdim Rolf will provide that - and suit your ears and taste - is yet to be seen. Another EQ tip is to use hardware mixers. It's far quicker to find the sweet spot when you've only got low, high and swept mid (plus a fixed low cut) rather than second-guessing the countless parameters, combinations and options in the software DAW world.

Definitely look into how to "stem" your tunes out of Reason. Mixing down pure audio stems is a boost as it means one has to focus solely on sculpting, positioning and gelling each part. Stops one reworking the skeleton, flesh and fashion of the track during the hair and makeup part of the process.
Yeah those are good ideas for sure. Thanks :D What kind of hardware mixer would you suggest that would sync up with a DAW? Or do those not do that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SineRider posted:

Have you considered rewiring Reason into Live? I used to do that all the time when I primarily used Reason
Never tried that, but it's a good idea. Thanks :)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A MIRACLE posted:

Well I emailed Akai and the sales / support lady says the Rhythm Wolf will be out in June

edit: this is possibly what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/tindra/akai-rhythm-wolf
Fuuuuuck, this sounds so tight. I am totally buying one of these sooner or later (hopefully sooner).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 24, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Interesting suggestions. The only one of those I was really looking at earlier was the Ultranova. I'll have to check out demos of these on YouTube/SoundCloud and see how they sound. Thanks :)

A buddy of mine had a Virus Ti and he loved it. Hell, maybe he still has it. It was a huge part of his productions years ago, but maybe it still is. I'll have to ask. What's the difference between the C and the Ti?

e: Daaaaaamn, the Mininova looks like a ton of fun to play around with :swoon:

e2: Yeah, watching more videos on the Mininova and it looks like the one for me. Looks like a MicroKorg but with more interesting sounds and a lot more fun to twiddle. Those animate pads look like they offer a ton of possibilities. And it's right in my price range too! I think this is the one I'll get, but I'll check out those other suggestions too!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 24, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The same buddy that I said owned the Virus Ti also used to own a Micron and I played around with his a few years ago. It was fun and had a bunch of cool sounds! But the drummer/synth player in one of my favorite local bands plays an Ion and that thing is just the bees knees. I will definitely have to check those out in addition to the Mininova. But I stayed up til like 5AM last night watching Mininova videos on YouTube and was literally giddy while watching them, so that's probably a good sign :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I traded pedals with a guy on Craigslist last night and got a Wattson EFY-6 out of it, which is my first ever fuzz pedal.

Here's a quick demo I made of it used on my SH-201 in case y'all wanna hear what it sounds like. (Even the bass has been fuzzed out!)

Also I'm planning on buying a Mininova within the next few days and I've been watching more YouTube videos on it and getting even more hyped about it. I can't wait to test out all the sounds and then test them out again WITH FUZZ :science:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was at Guitar Center the other day and there was a TR-08 out, but it wasn't plugged in so I didn't get to hear it. The step buttons are real loving clicky, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I got the Mininova today. It's so much loving fun so far. The vocoder is especially fun because I've never had one before.

I haven't stopped playing with it since I got it, but I am right now to tell y'all that it has a screaming-type patch called "CowFrog" and it basically sounds like if those 2 animals tried to gently caress each other and the mic that was recording the sound was chained through a distortion pedal.

Okay, back to beeping and booping now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net work error posted:

Please record cowfrog, this sounds like something that would be awesome.
Here you go. First there's some hot vocoder action and some "chubby bass", and then comes the main event: cows and frogs making love to each other passionately throughout the night.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: How do I get the tempo synced up between my Mininova and Ableton? Like, if I could control Ableton's tempo setting with the tempo knob on my Mininova, that would be perfect. Can I even do that? I've got the Mininova plugged in through USB right now and Ableton's got it listed under its MIDI devices, but I can't figure out how to control Ableton stuff with the Mininova.

Say I record an arp patch into Ableton through my Mbox. That's fine, I can do that. But I can't seem to get the tempos to match up, so like if I record a bass track, the timing will be off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Startyde posted:

In config on the input, turn sync on, type MIDI clock. There's an EXT button in the main UI somewhere up top that turns on MIDI machine control listening, light that up. Then tempo and transport will be controlled by the mininova.

e- Just looked, she doesn't have transport controls so I guess this don't make much sense. Here's Novation's page laying out the arp following Live.
Hmmm, okay I've done all that and now the Mininova says "External Clock!" when I try to turn its tempo knob, but I can't record anything new or play any tracks I've recorded previously :confused: The play and record buttons appear to be on when I press them but they do nothing.

Also changing the tempo in Ableton doesn't seem to be affecting what I'm playing on the Mininova at all yet, but maybe it's just not hooked up correctly.

e: Wait, I turned EXT off and now it works? Haha this is all too confusing but whatever, at least it seems to be working now.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 7, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This thing has a section called "Fun Blocks". How could you NOT want it?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 10, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net work error posted:

Synth thread would you eat a synth?

What's the decay like on that if you leave it sitting out?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bolange posted:

Any of you guys have experience with the Novation Ultranova? Assuming it would work as a decent midi controller it's only ~$300 more than the pure controllers I was looking at for a ton more functionality and the ability to play around without being tethered to a computer.
Not the Ultra but I just got a Mininova recently. It does work as a MIDI controller. It also has a ton of built in sounds and two completely empty banks that you can fill up with downloadable sounds via the Librarian software that comes with the synth. I filled both of those up with sound packs I found on the Novation site. I think each bank holds 127 sounds, so now I have close to 400 presets on there. Plus it comes with a vocoder, which is a ton of fun to mess around with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamn, #5 is just beautiful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Winner is Jew posted:

Slight update on the rhythm wolf if anyone's been following it, looks like it's been delayed anywhere from 3 months to 6 months since the release date is now "fall 2014" instead of June of 2014 like when it was originally announced.
Aw gently caress :smith: Oh well, I probably couldn't afford it in June anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VoodooXT posted:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Quick and dirty test of the Waldorf Microwave using the PPG Wave 2.3 soundset. Quick and dirty, definitely not the best representation of me or the synth. :v:
You lose points for not calling this the "Microwave's Mom demo" but gain points back for this sounding like the music from a sci fi movie from a few decades ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Reminder that a dirt cheapass computer is far more fun for drums and midi than a thousand dollar dedicated sequencer.
a computer and a padKontrol/MPD/APC* ;)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

magiccarpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

This guy actually uses his modulars for real songs. Thread doomed.
Goddamn. Between that and their light show, no wonder they had like 30 guys setting them up on their Europe tour.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sizone posted:

always sounds angry and slightly dangerous.
That's how I felt about my Microbrute, but eventually it started to sound like a one trick pony to me so I sold it and bought a Mininova which I'm a lot happier with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb. I just got one recently myself and it makes beautiful, lush ambient sounds.

I guess I still want the Eventide Space but I don't care if I get it nearly as much now that I own this thing. It's the best reverb I've ever owned, and I've owned like 5 or 6 reverb pedals over the years.

The Shimmer setting is just the bee's knees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vqTRylaSyc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Radiapathy posted:

The first allegedly real Rhythm Wolf demo is up on SoundCloud. The guy who posted it is an Akai employee.

https://soundcloud.com/whenmuppetsattak/rhythm-wolf
Is it just me or does it sound a lot more impressive as a bass synth than a drum machine?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah the snare rules in that video and the bass has a nice growl to it but I'm still not sure I'm sold on it. I'm sure I could do worse for my first hardware drum machine, but after watching that video/listening to the SoundCloud demo, I'm not inspired to plop down a few hundred bucks on one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't have a single degree. Technically I probably shouldn't even be able to operate a synth.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, if I saw somebody using that at a gig I would not be able to control my laughter. That owns :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Doesn't Disclosure exclusively use Gaias on stage? Or maybe not exclusively, but when I was watching their set on the Coachella webcast, they were definitely using Gaias.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Axiom 49 was my first MIDI controller ever in 2007. That one broke after like a year or 2, and I replaced it with another Axiom 49 because I think I'd bought some kind of warranty on it at Guitar Center. That one lasted for another like...2 years? Then it broke and I've had an Oxygen 49 ever since which is still alive and kicking after a few years of owning it.

I was never even that hard on the Axioms and they still managed to break anyway.

The pads on the Axiom loving sucked though. I bought a padKontrol so I could have something separate with better pads and I don't regret that at all. The padKontrol rules.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BKPR posted:

got a bunch of cables from Monoprice today (two days to deliver, good lord), finally plugged in my monotron for the first time in ages. turns out, when you can route it through a shitload of VSTs in real time it sounds great!!!
gently caress, maybe I should've kept mine around then.

But nah, that thing was a bitch to use.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net work error posted:

Monotron delay/duo as gifts to kids, yes or no? Thinking about it for some family. :getin:
Hahaha, you'd be the coolest relative if you did that. If I'd gotten something like that as a Christmas present from a relative as a kid, I wouldn't have been able to stop playing with it.

Hell, you might convert some of your family members into synth nerds that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo