Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

Nintendo Kid posted:

For the purposes of humanity's use, artificial intelligence that's actually a philosopher's zombie is equivalent to one that's "truly" self-aware. Arguably, "real" self-awareness is totally unnecessary.

And it's not like the way humans think is the most efficient way for things to work either. It's just a way that proved possible to result with billions of years and fundamental laws of physics and chemistry.

And here we run into the philosophical questions. If all that's needed is something useful that we can define as "thinking," then we've had AI since the earliest computers.

If we want something that we can define as recreating how we define our own intelligence to a greater or lesser degree, then self-awareness (and a testable definition thereof) is required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I've heard tell that East Coast architects recently invented buildings that seem to scrape the sky and provide ample space on small plots of land.

The argument that SF should be even denser is very different than the argument that SF can magically grow outside the bounds of the county of SF.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Surely there'd be no possible way to tell whether you've created genuine consciousness or a p-zombie, since by definition the latter is indistinguishable from the former to outside observers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hodgepodge posted:

And here we run into the philosophical questions. If all that's needed is something useful that we can define as "thinking," then we've had AI since the earliest computers.

If we want something that we can define as recreating how we define our own intelligence to a greater or lesser degree, then self-awareness (and a testable definition thereof) is required.

That's why "strong AI" continually gets redefined to "better computerized thinking than we currently have". Many ideas of what strong AI could do or would be needed for in say 1972 are now things we use every day (I seem to recall a big one was "efficiently sorting through massive databases using natural language" or something like that, today there's many free web services that do this).

Trabisnikof posted:

The argument that SF should be even denser is very different than the argument that SF can magically grow outside the bounds of the county of SF.

Noone's making the latter argument. Also most of SF is decidedly un-dense, and deadly in case of earthquake to boot.

Torka posted:

Surely there'd be no possible way to tell whether you've created genuine consciousness or a p-zombie anyway, since by definition the latter is indistinguishable from the former to outside observers.

Precisely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
quote is not edit

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Noone's making the latter argument. Also most of SF is decidedly un-dense, and deadly in case of earthquake to boot.

The post I quoted was making that argument.

Also, SF is dense by US standards. Only NYC is denser and NYC is over 8x bigger.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Also, SF is dense by US standards. Only NYC is denser and NYC is over 8x bigger.

It's dense because you have 13-14 people being forced to share a single house and except for SOMA/Market street lacks big high rise buildings.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

etalian posted:

It's dense because you have 13-14 people being forced to share a single house and except for SOMA/Market street lacks big high rise buildings.

If by "being forced" you mean choosing to live there rather than a less expensive community on the same mass transit network? Also while SF has higher than average rental rates home owners are still a huge segment of the market.

Edit: Avg House-hold size in SF is 2.26 people so you're wrong.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 31, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trabisnikof posted:

Brooklyn, which isn't known for its high-rises, is twice as dense as San Fransisco.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Many suburbs of NYC are also denser than San Francisco. Also no, the post was not requiring SF to expand in land size alone.

Not to mention that many American cities have cores denser than SF and also a goodly expanse of low density land attached.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Many parts of NYC also can and should be even more dense than they are now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Many suburbs of NYC are also denser than San Francisco. Also no, the post was not requiring SF to expand in land size alone.

Not to mention that many American cities have cores denser than SF and also a goodly expanse of low density land attached.

That's the point I'm trying to make. All those other cities with denser cores have larger tax bases to handle the density. San Francisco is a city of less than 1 Million people there aren't other US cities as dense as SF is already and as relatively small.

Focusing on housing in SF ignores the stagnant housing markets in the 8 other Bay Area counties.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

That's the point I'm trying to make. All those other cities with denser cores have larger tax bases to handle the density.

This is utterly nonsensical. You don't need to create a larger tax base from less dense land to have dense development, unless the government owns and builds on all the land.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

The argument that SF is meaningfully limited by ocean is about as coherent an argument as the argument that SF should grow away from the water. They're both absurd, and my post was made hoping someone like you would jump on it. If the ocean wasn't there, there'd be another collar city and SF would still be land-limited.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

The argument that SF is meaningfully limited by ocean is about as coherent an argument as the argument that SF should grow away from the water. They're both absurd, and my post was made hoping someone like you would jump on it. If the ocean wasn't there, there'd be another collar city and SF would still be land-limited.

Except then SF might be physically larger. SF is 49 sq miles. NYC is 300. Even San Jose is 179 sq miles. San Francisco has several neighborhoods with population densities above 60,000+ ppl/sq mile and several large parks and abandoned military bases that artificially depress their population density statistics.

Meanwhile SF is still adding more housing units than San Mateo or Marin counties....

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Except then SF might be physically larger. SF is 49 sq miles. NYC is 300. Even San Jose is 179 sq miles. San Francisco has several neighborhoods with population densities above 60,000+ ppl/sq mile and several large parks and abandoned military bases that artificially depress their population density statistics.

Meanwhile SF is still adding more housing units than San Mateo or Marin counties....

You're assuming that if SF was landlocked that cities wouldn't have filled in the hypothetical dirt that doesn't currently exist, unlike every other piece of dirt surrounding SF that does currently exist where other cities took that space.

You get why that's a stupid assumption, I hope.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kalman posted:

You're assuming that if SF was landlocked that cities wouldn't have filled in the hypothetical dirt that doesn't currently exist, unlike every other piece of dirt surrounding SF that does currently exist where other cities took that space.

You get why that's a stupid assumption, I hope.

Things aren't so simple. Oakland, SF's neighbor expanded massively after the 1906 earthquake, gobbling up smaller cities and growing to be physically the same size as SF but even now only 1/2 the population.

Meanwhile Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, Hunter's Point and Treasure Island all deflate SF's density numbers. Since that land is either artificially low density due to park status or blighted by radioactive waste.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let's continue referring to the city of San Francisco and the metropolitan area of San Francisco interchangably to make this argument even more pointless and confusing!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Impotently rage about Silicon Valley: A D&D special report

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I vote we replace the Silicon Valley with a Silicon Arcology.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Pave the bay.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trabisnikof posted:

Also, SF is dense by US standards. Only NYC is denser

I dunno, I think most of this thread qualifies at this point.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know we're referencing Shadowrun, chummer, but isn't an actual arcology a good thing?

(also, is there even a San Fransisco anymore in Shadowrun?)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hodgepodge posted:

I know we're referencing Shadowrun, chummer, but isn't an actual arcology a good thing?

It's supposed to be a good thing.
I'm not holding my breath.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

blowfish posted:

It's supposed to be a good thing.
I'm not holding my breath.

The John Hancock Center in Chicago is effectively an arcology, and it's pretty nice.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nintendo Kid posted:

The John Hancock Center in Chicago is effectively an arcology, and it's pretty nice.

Is it more of an arcology than any other high rise residential building?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

blowfish posted:

Is it more of an arcology than any other high rise residential building?

Most high rise residential buildings don't have nearly that much office and retail space. The supermarket on the 44th floor is even designed so that it's primarily accessible to the condo residents; although the office workers who don't live in the building can still use a second entrance to it. And during elections, the residential portion of the tower is its own precinct with the voting location being within the building.

Typical high rise residential buildings only have minimal retail/services on the first few floors and maybe a few offices.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

Oh, I totally forgot that they did that in Shadowrun. I was being serious, arcologies are boss as gently caress and Paolo Soleri was a genius.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 232 days!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Oh, I totally forgot that they did that in Shadowrun. I was being serious, arcologies are boss as gently caress and Paolo Soleri was a genius.

Oh. Carry on then.

(I suppose D&D has had its fill of P&P references lately anyhow).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like Shadowrun, I just prefer the Denver area and ex-Chicago as settings.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Lmfao.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Has Justine Tunney posted in this thread yet? I imagine her level of megalomania wouldn't allow for her to not eventually start commenting in here

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Amused to Death posted:

Has Justine Tunney posted in this thread yet? I imagine her level of megalomania wouldn't allow for her to not eventually start commenting in here
I assume she is fishmech.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's probably because Lowtax stopped doing those ironic Hentai game reviews.

Something Awful I once had respect for you.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Nessus posted:

This will just be my working assumption from here on out.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

This will just be my working assumption from here on out.

Fishmech hates Uber though, and I don't think Tunney could bring herself to do that even to throw people off her trail.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

fishmech is Albert Schweitzer compared to Tunney.

Augustin Iturbide
Jun 4, 2012
Tech industry big-wig hitting us with the real concerns of today:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/496012177103663104

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Augustin Iturbide posted:

What's sad is he's an outlier in the tech elite for saying "unfortunately" instead of "fortunately".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Augustin Iturbide posted:

Well, if you think over aeons, it's basically not that unsurprising a concept - it's a lot easier to send unmanned probes everywhere, and I suspect AI-containing probes are how we'd explore the galaxy at some point. Sublight ones.

It's not so much a concern as something to consider.

• Locked thread