Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

https://twitter.com/JustineTunney

To be honest there are too many to post.

That said, it is all inane gibberish.

It's more neoreactionary than her joking lets on. If we're lucky, maybe all the ancaps and pseudo-technocrats will trend towards this Dark Enlightenment stuff where they can be even more easily made fun of.

The Dark Enlightenment people are the Strassers of the "third positionists," in a warped sort of way.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

Fundamentally, the point of a technocratic government is not More Power to Silicon Valley or building ~rational~ housing units even if they're poo poo to live in. A scientific approach to government could, for instance, work akin to a theory of policy where you implement policy according to the best of your knowledge, observe the effects, and improve your understanding of how people respond to policy changes and which things are relevant in assessing side effects (it's almost as if one could apply the scientific method to learn from mistakes of previous administrations :aaa:).

e: of course, what you set as the goals for the government to pursue is open.

Right, it seems clear that greasing the Valley's wheels is not the outcome of such talk. The thing is that a lot of ancap/Singularity/libertarian right geek chat is vocally anti-democratic -- they use technology or public choice theory or whatever to undermine self determination in favor of a positivist method that, while beneficial to some groups in theory, pretty much neglects two centuries of social science.

I get what you're saying and such an attitude could achieve utilitarian goals, but I just don't think that's how they see it, and I think by advocating that you expose yourself to lots of understandable criticism.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 22, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

blowfish posted:

If you ask assholes about their chosen method of government, the result is going to involve poo poo :shrek:

Yeah, absolutely. I have this gut feeling that the internet and technological optimism is somehow making ancaps and others split more towards a reactionary stance.

• Locked thread