Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yeah. I keep hearing about how Lyft and Uber are these game changing disruptive things when you've been able to use your phone to summon a taxi for decades. The main thing isn't the app, it's that they're unregulated and unlicensed taxi systems using our poo poo economy to provide transportation in the same underpaid manner as pizza delivery.

I live out in the country, so I've literally never seen a Lyft or Uber car in my life. The nearest place of business to my house is 1.7 miles away according to Google Maps, and the actual town I technically live in is 3.1 miles away. Who the gently caress is gonna drive out and get me for cheaper than it costs me to just drive myself? They look at what happens in their little world where they live and assume that's what it's like everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I was gonna come in to post about Illinois introducing a bill to regulate ride sharing apps, but it seems like we've moved onto something much more hilarious.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

As an illinoisan, I'm interested, what's the bill? Honestly these ride sharing companies all seem to be based on paying their employees very little while also not having sufficient liability insurance so once a few lawsuits happen they'll disappear.

Liability insurance, vehicle standards, all drivers must obtain chauffeur's licenses and the companies must provide at least some wheelchair accessible vehicles, among other things. I can't seem to find the full text though. It's supposedly HB4075, but the text I can find for that doesn't look like it, unless this stuff was tacked on as an amendment.

The Warszawa posted:

Cartel behavior is so pre-cyborg singularity, but the settlement from the e-book price fixing suit was distributed today. High five for thirteen bucks!

I got $0.73. :smith:

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 25, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
A sea of big red titles, as far as the eye can see. Is this what hell is like?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

etalian posted:

I wish SF would have a new ordinance allowing you to hunt anyone wearing google glasses in public

And risk an uprising by the Cyborg Panthers?

EDIT: My first red title. :3:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No you see, they have a ball pit therefore they're fun!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
She managed to fit thee, didst, thou and thy into a single tweet. That's impressive levels of twatbaggery.

VVV You should get better friends VVV

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He's not a scam artist, scam artist implies that he realizes his product is bullshit.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Obdicut posted:

I don't even understand the desire to have servants. It'd feel incredibly awkward to me for someone to clean up my messes and drive me around and be all deferential. How is it not awkward, and if you treat them badly, how do you ever feel certain that they haven't, like, pissed in your whiskey? And I think it goes without saying she'd treat them badly.

Lack of empathy.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Reading the Gawker comments on Facebook and on their site is, as usual, depressing. They all think she's trolling and that the "Dark Enlightenment" isn't a real movement. So if you're wondering why she thinks what she's saying is okay, it's because there are plenty of dumbasses who don't get that she's completely serious and egg her on thinking it's all a joke. :negative:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Jesus gently caress, take this dumbass derail to a different thread already, no one gives a poo poo besides the couple of you arguing back and forth. Even the "Why do programmers worship Ayn Rand" thread would be a better place for it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

It is true that it is not a real "movement" in the sense that it's a bunch of terrible nerds whining online, who can't be bothered to do anything about it besides smugly blog about how blacks and the poor are beneath them. They do still believe this stuff and have their internet circles and all that, but it's hard to call it a movement independent of other things.

I don't mean they didn't think it was big enough to matter, the commenters are accusing them of also being trolls or even a hoax from big businesses to make Tunney look bad.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I vote we replace the Silicon Valley with a Silicon Arcology.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Hodgepodge posted:

I know we're referencing Shadowrun, chummer, but isn't an actual arcology a good thing?

(also, is there even a San Fransisco anymore in Shadowrun?)

Oh, I totally forgot that they did that in Shadowrun. I was being serious, arcologies are boss as gently caress and Paolo Soleri was a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like Shadowrun, I just prefer the Denver area and ex-Chicago as settings.

• Locked thread