Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh, I don't know much about AI, but Diane Forsythe showed that the AI work in the 80s tended to reflect the biases and assumptions of the (mostly white, male) researchers. The thought that singularity-esque AI, built by humans, would somehow not reflect humanity strikes me as techno-utopian thinking. I can understand why people are making fun of Musk for worrying about such a seemingly remote problem, but the tech scene today is already producing poo poo that it doesn't understand. The entire "Big Data" buzzword parade is all about identifying the "what" without a goddamn care about the "why." The US government already uses remotely-piloted drones to kill people based on metadata alone. It's not much of a stretch to imagine a world where an automated algorithm mines the metadata, some keyboard jockey gives it a cursory glance, pushes a button, and then another automated algorithm drops a bomb on someone. Is that really all that different from ooga-booga Matrix/Terminator AI?

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread