Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Alright Montreal, troll the poo poo out of some Mexican teams next year, k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

It's a real easy group, too

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

It's a real easy group, too

they won't make it through because they're bad, real bad, ny will and it will be awful

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Azerban posted:

they won't make it through because they're bad, real bad, ny will and it will be awful

remember when we made the semifinals with reggie lambe, aaron maund and miguel aceval

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

remember when we made the semifinals with reggie lambe, aaron maund and miguel aceval

all i see is three people who would make the montreal starting XI

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
lol, Toronto can't even beat Montreal with superstar Jermaine "Bloody Big Deal" Defoe

Di Vaio > Defoe

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Alright, now we can focus on Open Cup games!

Games tonight:

Philadelphia Union v Harrisburg City Islanders Chester, Pennsylvania
Rochester Rhinos v D.C. United Rochester, New York
Columbus Crew v Indy Eleven Akron, Ohio
Colorado Rapids v Orlando City Commerce City, Colorado
FC Dallas v San Antonio Scorpions Frisco, Texas
Portland Timbers v Orlando City U-23 Portland, Oregon

Go Portland! And go Scorpions, Orlando City, Indy Eleven, Rhinos, and Islanders!

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Well, World Cup matches are over for the day, let's see how the Union are doing....
*checks score*
*jumps off cliff*

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Lamont Cranston posted:

Well, World Cup matches are over for the day, let's see how the Union are doing....
*checks score*
*jumps off cliff*

The Union are loving terrible

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Birnbaum gets a red card and then the ref stops play for lightning. Then a sign blows onto the field. Professional soccer in America everyone.

It's pretty amazing to go from viewing how amazing the production value and passion is at the World Cup (even with a lovely Korea v. Russia matchup) to a game in the rain between DC United B and the Rochester Rhinos with about 50 fans on metal bleachers.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Extra time in Philadelphia :geno:

update: Harrisburg have a dude whose name is Hardware. that owns

Lamont Cranston fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 18, 2014

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The Crew have been down to ten men since the 33rd minute, and it's still 1-1 with 15 minutes to go. Come onnnnnnn Eleven!!

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
They've done it, it took extra time but the Union have defeated their own USL PRO affiliate who only brought 15 players with them. Truly a momentous day

edit: they will host the Cosmos a week from today, who's going with me

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Indy couldn't get another goal against a 10 man Crew side. In extra time, the Crew went down to 9, and Indy felt bad for them so they made a terrible tackle in the loving penalty area. And then they lost. New signing Victor Pineda was great in the midfield. He held up the ball, made some great passes, and had a couple good shots on goal. Pedro Mendes looked dangerous for the first time all season, but was subbed off for some reason at the half. The wing play was excellent, and Don Smart and AJ Corrado both made excellent crosses all game. Overall, the team was let down by a truly garbage performance by the Indy strikers, and not having the fitness for extra time, neither of which were helped by some questionable substitutions.

Bring on the NASL fall season!

camoseven fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 18, 2014

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Rapids-Orlando is turning into a route. 4-1 at 55th minute. Brown has a hat trick.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Timbers are looking decent against a bunch of kids. Great goal by Gaston.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC fields a loving B-Squad, completely disrespecting the competition. gently caress Ben Olsen. That Cup likely saved his stupid scalp, gave his team the cash to rebuild the squad, and what does he do? The same stupid poo poo that loses it for every other MLS team in this competition. You bring your backups to a professional team in America, and the professional team is going to win. We don't have the horses and everyone knows it, and even though there's still ten more days until our next meaningful game, we've trotted out the backups.

I don't mind losing to Rochester. I mind losing to Rochester fielding eleven second-stringers. That is offensive. THAT is why this competition suffers.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

aesop jones posted:

DC fields a loving B-Squad, completely disrespecting the competition. gently caress Ben Olsen. That Cup likely saved his stupid scalp, gave his team the cash to rebuild the squad, and what does he do? The same stupid poo poo that loses it for every other MLS team in this competition. You bring your backups to a professional team in America, and the professional team is going to win. We don't have the horses and everyone knows it, and even though there's still ten more days until our next meaningful game, we've trotted out the backups.

I don't mind losing to Rochester. I mind losing to Rochester fielding eleven second-stringers. That is offensive. THAT is why this competition suffers.

I understand this mentality more in the middle of a congested mid-season, but not in the middle of a World Cup break.

Rapids played their A-team, and looked, accurately, like a team that hadn't played in a few weeks for the first 20 minutes. This was a great opportunity to fight doldrums. Bummer to anyone who didn't take it.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

if you played your benchers knowing you wouldn't play an actual real game that counts for 2 more weeks you are poo poo

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Eddie Johnson wasn't even in Rochester was he? Can he be the new garbage man American striker?

I'm annoyed at Olsen because I devoted 4 hours of my evening to watching that dreck.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

joshtothemaxx posted:

Eddie Johnson wasn't even in Rochester was he? Can he be the new garbage man American striker?

I'm annoyed at Olsen because I devoted 4 hours of my evening to watching that dreck.

Imagine the people who drove up from DC to Rochester for that. Nobody knew the lineup until 1800 that evening. If I'd just rolled into town and seen that, I might have actually hurt someone.

What a loving rear end in a top hat. Fire Olsen now.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

a normal game is only 2 hours so what were you even doing

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Azerban posted:

Driving back and forth?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Or he's referring to the long-rear end weather delay.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

bullshit it rained for like 5 minutes don't pull that poo poo

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
Rapids beat the hell out of Orlando 5-2 behind a Deshorn Brown hat trick. There may have been 1500 people there but I'm glad they sent out the A team. We also got to see the first appearance of Vincente Sanchez in a few weeks...and he looked a bit rusty like you'd expect. Up next? Atlanta.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Timbers didn't field the usual best XI (none of the usual midfield), but I wasn't disappointed with who they played. I liked that all of our subs were draft picks from this season. Taylor Peay looked especially good at right back.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

highme posted:

Timbers didn't field the usual best XI (none of the usual midfield), but I wasn't disappointed with who they played. I liked that all of our subs were draft picks from this season. Taylor Peay looked especially good at right back.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the team that was fielded, including the subs. Seems like Porter was trying out another version of what he played against Chivas in that mid-week game. Something he can field during the CCL and USOC without tiring his league game starters too much. I like it. They are almost more fun than the regular starting 11 because if they prove themselves they could move up to the regular first team. Peay certainly endeared himself to the TA and looked like he wanted to be no where else.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

camoseven posted:

Indy couldn't get another goal against a 10 man Crew side. In extra time, the Crew went down to 9, and Indy felt bad for them so they made a terrible tackle in the loving penalty area. And then they lost. New signing Victor Pineda was great in the midfield. He held up the ball, made some great passes, and had a couple good shots on goal. Pedro Mendes looked dangerous for the first time all season, but was subbed off for some reason at the half. The wing play was excellent, and Don Smart and AJ Corrado both made excellent crosses all game. Overall, the team was let down by a truly garbage performance by the Indy strikers, and not having the fitness for extra time, neither of which were helped by some questionable substitutions.

Bring on the NASL fall season!

As a point of technicality, Pineda is on loan from Chicago. He was our first homegrown player signing and he's pretty great.

I know a lot of Fire fans were cheering for you guys, sorry you couldn't get it done.

There's storms rolling through Chicagoland all day today and a chance of tornadoes tonight, so there's going to be like six people at Toyota Park for the game against the Riverhounds of Pittsburgh.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Hello Towel posted:

As a point of technicality, Pineda is on loan from Chicago. He was our first homegrown player signing and he's pretty great.

Yes, I know. I guess "new loanee" would have been a better phrase. I'm still getting used to loans, and when a player is wearing an Indy Eleven kit I tend to think of them as an Indy Eleven player! Which they kinda are. But also kinda not. I guess overall I don't care as long as they play well for us, and as long as they don't get recalled mid season.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I was just wondering what's going on in the Lamar Hunt US open cup ?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

That is a good question. Some teams beat teams, some teams lost to teams that beat teams. There were goals. Maybe even some fouls and passing, but you can't be sure with the American game.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

We're all laughing at Collins John for playing in the third division.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

It's Coming Home.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

It's Coming Home.

To Chicago.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Hello Towel posted:

To Chicago.

To America. Chicago is not America.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
While I was visiting the old man in the hospital, I guess nine Crew reserves were able to win against all eleven of Indy Eleven. They were even able to escape with nary a torn ACL to be found. This is all well and good, but no one cares about the open cup, so I would have preferred for any other team to advance, because god knows an injury is lurking in the shadows of future matches against *checks US Open Cup schedule* fifth round powerhouses The Pittsburgh Riverhounds or The Chicago Fire B Team.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Azerban posted:

The lightning delay.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

ZappDash posted:

While I was visiting the old man in the hospital, I guess nine Crew reserves were able to win against all eleven of Indy Eleven. They were even able to escape with nary a torn ACL to be found. This is all well and good, but no one cares about the open cup, so I would have preferred for any other team to advance, because god knows an injury is lurking in the shadows of future matches against *checks US Open Cup schedule* fifth round powerhouses The Pittsburgh Riverhounds or The Chicago Fire B Team.

Nah, Chicago's fielding an A team because it's basically all we've got this season.

Hope everything's all right with your family.

E: Fire game delayed due to weather.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

Hello Towel posted:

Nah, Chicago's fielding an A team because it's basically all we've got this season.

Hope everything's all right with your family.

E: Fire game delayed due to weather.

I don't understand this mentality. For NASL/USL-PRO teams, sure. This is a cap to their season until fall kicks back in. It also helps a team's recognition in the miniscule US soccer market; however, MLS teams kicking on glorified college teams for a piece of molded metal with Lamar Hunt's name on it isn't something to shoot for mid-season. Especially during a world cup break. If your team is (un)lucky enough to not lose key players to international call ups, than rest/rehab/train for regular season games.

I'm guessing it's largely for hype or whatever, but the storyline of "So many upsets!" is laughable considering half of the people on the field are there trying to fight for first team minutes down the road. I hope there will never be a day when the Crew resort to "gently caress it" mode and just shoot for the shameful monument to Lamar Hunt. That's what happens when you get a listless three win D.C. United team only striving for a meaningless trophy.

Also, my pops is fine. He needed a hip replacement. :corsair:

Lucky bastard gets to spend the entire World Cup off work to recover. Thanks for the sentiment, though.

• Locked thread