Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Glazius posted:

Can the magnet beam pull things hard enough to take damage just from the impact force, or is that not modeled?

Yeah, you can totally kill stuff with impact force. One of the best CC strategies with the magnet gun is to find a room with a high ceiling and stick one thing on it and the other thing on the monster you wanna murder. They will take damage hen they hit the ceiling and then when they hit the floor.

It's important to note that objects accelerate as they fly over distance, so you have to make sure that enemies can fly through the air unimpeded for some time. Otherwise they don't pick up enough speed to die from impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Glazius posted:

Can the magnet beam pull things hard enough to take damage just from the impact force, or is that not modeled?

I don't know if it's modeled exactly like that, but you can dash enemies against walls with it, or against each other. I don't know if that extends to the bigger enemies, though, they're enough of a pain to kill without getting experimental with them.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

If you pull an enemy to a point on the other side of a building, they'll take fall damage for every impact as they crush their way through, too. The enemies that are durable enough to take multiple impacts are also often too durable to harm much with physics damage, though.

Cradok posted:

I don't know if it's modeled exactly like that, but you can dash enemies against walls with it, or against each other. I don't know if that extends to the bigger enemies, though, they're enough of a pain to kill without getting experimental with them.

Ah, but most of the fun of this game is the ability to get experimental. Juggling big guys through buildings is a good way to buy yourself time to deal with the swarm. And to save ammo. And for comedic effect.

Afinostux fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 19, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm amazed at just how good the 'gimmick' weapons are in this game. Usually you get one, play with it a bit and then go back to cramming bullets into things. But flinging things around with magnets in a destructible environment is just aces.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This game would be much better if they hadn't abandoned the open-world part of Guerrilla. I hope we don't spend the entire game going around dark caverns, but I'm starting to think that's exactly what happens.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Think of it as Doom 3.5

I'm not going to have time to do a conventional update today, so I'll get on a livestream and play one of the DLC missions later today.
e: not a real thing that ever happened

Afinostux fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 3, 2014

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Afinostux posted:

Think of it as Doom 3.5
Doom 3.Comic

Because might makes light.

And Darius Mason is mighty.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Stream is now!

I'm going to show off some of the multiplayer modes, and maybe the path to war DLC. Mostly screwing around/good times. Alternately it might bomb completely. Who knows?

Edit: Bomb completely. Maybe a screw around stream to show off the alternate game modes is in the cards for the future, but for now, I have some sort of strange bug that's stopping it from working. Unless you guys really like stuttering video and audio? who knows

Afinostux fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 21, 2014

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

The stream kind of fizzled, so here's the stuff I was going to show during it.

Update BONUS: Ruin mode
[Video]
Just a quick thing this week, showing how ruin mode works, and how to unlock the maps in challenge mode.

There are a couple weapons this update that are pretty good, and will probably see some use later, but they're completely garbage for the situation they're introduced in, and getting them out of the way now means the next video can be all about the DLC weapons.

New things this update:
Plasma beam: It's like the plasma cannon, except instead of launching a tiny nuclear explosion, it squeezes one out of a firehose. Would be extremely good if not for a really long cooldown, and a really short firing time.
Nano rifle: The endgame cool novelty weapon from the previous game. It has an extremely high rate of fire, but a super shallow clip and garbage ammo capacity. It becomes a murder powerhouse with infinite ammo, but you'll spend all your time reloading during regular play. Avoid.

Bonus cool stuff:
Here's the loading screen that shows off the magnet gun:

The tip on using the magnet gun isn't 100% accurate. The further an enemy moves, the more damage it takes, but it seems to max out pretty fast. Pulling fragments of building a short distance onto another point of the same building tends to be much more destructive than fast moving debris. Fast moving debris can often smash all the way through something without straining it too much, if that makes any sense. Think of the part where that sphere flew through the plug over the bug pit at high speed and made a perfectly circular hole, versus magnetizing the bottom of the plug to the top.
Barrel gets hot when fired. Do not eat.

And the nano forge:

This is the generic loading screen that pops up when the game has nothing new to say. Often pops up when you skip cutscenes.
Apparently the power source for the nanoforge is Mason's bicep. This only makes sense.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Runnin' round, blowing poo poo up :allears:

If I had this game when I was twelve, I would not have slept or eaten and probably ended up like those Korean kids who died from playing too long.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Update 5: Catwalks & Cannons
[Long Video] Guest starring your evil twin!
[Cut video Part1 Part2]
Mason is sent on an epic journey to retrieve water from some ice, which may or may not be possible. We throw away our standard weapons, and put our lives in the hands of quality british exports :britain:
IT'S DLC WEAPON TIME

New things this update:
Laser pistol: A straight upgrade from the regular pistol. Has a high rate of fire due to being a continuous beam, but the damage is comparable to the banshees. They make a NICE SOUND. Unfortunately, it's the standout weakest DLC weapon.
Arc welder: Remember that cutscene awhile ago where we fried that dumb bearded jerk? This is what we fried him with. You might think this would be short ranged. You would be completely wrong. This is chain lightning all day, every day. Also, it forces enemies to go into a looping hit animation, with hilarious results.
Plasma thrower: It's a flame thrower with the panache of the plasma cannon. It's almost never a sensible choice, but it's extremely fun, and seems to force smaller enemies to run away when you hit them with it. Oh, and since it's plasma, it totally melts anything destructible.
XNG-5000: The worst named weapon in the history of things. It's like a poison gas bomb version of the charge launcher, except instead of poison, it's clouds of hungry nanites. Using this weapon is probably all kinds of war crimes. As if that weren't enough, it's supposed to have a bayonet the size of a motorcycle on it. Maybe someday I'll use it in melee.
Rocket launcher: It's a rocket launcher with homing. It's like the one from the L.E.O but with one rocket instead of three.
Shockwave: This ability for the nanoforge has a boring name, and an even more boring description. Don't skip it, trust me. IT'S GOOD

Now that we've got a good sized arsenal, it's time to open a vote!

Which weapon would you like to see more of? Which weapon would you like to replace? Go ahead and say!

Our weapons locker right now is:
Arc welder *
Assault rifle
Enforcer
Banshee
Laser Pistols
Pistols
Magnet gun
Maul
Nano rifle
Plasma Cannon
Plasma Thrower *
Charge Launcher
Rocket Launcher *
Shotgun
XNG-5000 *

* = in use right now

Afinostux fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 27, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I think you need to show us exactly how boring the projectile weapons can be.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LoonShia posted:

gently caress that. Magnet Gun and maximum :torgue:.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

gently caress that. Magnet Gun and maximum :torgue:.

So basically, the only way to play, yeah?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Dropping an entire building on someone then blowing up the debris will never not look fun.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

Dropping an entire building on someone then blowing up the debris will never not look be fun.

Fixed that for you.

Magnet Gun, Rocket Launcher, Maul, and Plasma Cannon for Maximum Destruction.

If I recall correctly, there's another plasma-based weapon coming shortly. When you get that, swap out the cannon for it and go to town, please?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

LoonShia posted:

The magnet gun is a projectile weapon it just shoots two oppositely magnetized clamps instead of bullets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maul, pistols, laser pistols and Enforcer machine gun.

I want you to hate by the end of this LP

(Edit: Seriously tho; I'm not honestly that fussed)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Ah, the Shockwave: the only reason I found out it was awesome was because in most games with an upgrade system I always try to max out anything that counts as a special skill before anything more "practical" like "more health" and similar. :allears:

As for what weapons, Shockwave+Magnet Gun. :colbert:
Maybe show off the Nano Rifle and keep the Plasma Cannon and Arc Welder as backups.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If you are not using the magnet gun you better

a) Be in an annoying turret section
or
b) Be in one of those crappy places with big enemies and nothing to throw (the game insists on making a few corridors like this)

Otherwise you're not playing the game right :colbert:
A run through the game where only bullets are used sounds painful for everybody involved.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

If you don't use the Magnet Gun and Shockwave, you're a boring scrub.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Poll winners were Magnet Gun, Plasma Cannon, and Hammer! Fourth slot reserved for the weapon we get at the beginning of the level.
Except I hosed up and used the rocket launcher instead of the hammer. OOPS SORRY I GUESS

Update 6: Return of the Plot
[Video] Guest starring Gus Hobbleton!
Someone finally has the balls to step up and call Mason a jerk. This happens while he burns down everyone's farms.

New things this update:
Plasma beam: It's like what would happen if you squeezed the plasma cannon through a firehose. Actually really good! Unfortunately, it suffers when used against targets capable of movement.

Poll's open again! What weapons would you like to see used in the next section?

e: Whoops! hit submit too soon. Video'll be finished processing in like half an hour. Sorry about that, folks! video is live now! This update is officially the clumsiest poo poo

Afinostux fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 3, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been wondering for a while now, and I must have missed it when I was actually playing the game myself as well, what are the infected buildings infected with? What does that mean?

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

They never explain in game, but the official name for the aliens is the 'plague aliens', and there was that one time where they turned the water supply poisonous by infesting the water plant. That seems to be the offical line; they like to make things gross and poo in your house.

The infested buildings don't act as enemy spawners, but they do drop quite a bit of salvage. Maybe the aliens need to digest the metal parts of buildings to make their exoskeletons? Who knows. Mostly they're gross and need to be burned.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wait, so it was Our Hero who started everything off? Wow, I must have missed that somehow.

I'll go rewatch the first couple of videos again.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, so it was Our Hero who started everything off? Wow, I must have missed that somehow.

I'll go rewatch the first couple of videos again.

Yep; Our hero was hired to uncork a tunnel by some scavengers who turned out to be Hale and his buddies in disguise. So everything can be blamed on him being duped by a guy that has a permanent mad-on for anyone that's not EDF. So, by extension, you can blame Mason for the bug invasion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I had completely forgotten about the whole crazed cultists thing. Just rewatched the first video again and was like, Ohhh.

EDIT - and I had also somehow missed a video. Watching the third one now where he pops the cork.

EDIT 2 - it's amazing how you can go from the second video to the forth without watching the third and it seems to form a coherent whole. At the end of the second one you're outrunning the big explosion at the terraformer. At the start of the forth, you're sliding out of rubble and find yourself in a big cave and get a radio message saying, "We thought you were dead."

Then bugs started coming from the walls :psyduck:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 4, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well, you convinced someone to by this game (there was a PSN flash sale for 5 bucks. Might still be going on). I hope you're happy mister. :colbert:

Though I have to disagree that the bullet weapons are useless. Sure you can argue for the hammer, but sometimes blasting xenoscum with a shotgun is its own reward.

Totally with you on the assault rifle though, that thing can go suck a dick. :v:

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 4, 2014

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

I just wish the shotgun had knockback and more ammo, is all.

You bet I'm happy :v:

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

I hate to double post, but I'm not going to have time to do an update this weekend.

So here it is right now!

Update 7: Rise of the Bearded Jerk
[video]
The level design starts to improve drastically, just in time for a sewer level. Yes, you read that right.
In addition, Mason is chased by roughnecks.

[bonus video]
Join me on a side trip through new game plus, on insane difficulty.
I'm stopping at all the audiologs, and playing them all. There are about 2 per map, on any map that has them.
I edited the hell out of it, and it's well worth watching.

:siren:All the weapons are unlocked in new game plus, and I'd rather not introduce them until they show up in the campaign!:siren:

From now on, the pace picks up a LOT, and I'm going to start keeping videos short.

New things this update:
Pulse grenade: It's a grenade launcher that explodes on contact with living things. In addition, it's the only blast weapon in the core game that doesn't damage platforms. It's a good weapon, and a total godsend on levels like this one. Unfortunately, burns ammo REAL QUICK

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Geez, the first two audio logs are a "last day of retirement" log and someone complaining about how dull the place is? That terraformer was doomed.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Having your fellow colonists turn against you and try to kill you is an interesting idea. As well as fighting the bugs you have to avoid the colonists' attempts to kill you, without them actually being enemies that you are supposed to shoot. Don't see that sort of thing often.

Bruceski posted:

Geez, the first two audio logs are a "last day of retirement" log and someone complaining about how dull the place is? That terraformer was doomed.

Haha that is the most hilariously clichéd thing imaginable.

Also - I really find it hard to imagine that someone would prefer a dangerous job mining in underground tunnels rather than a boring safe job on the surface. Sure, I can imagine a bored guy wishing he was doing something else, but preferring the idea of working in a mine seems unlikely.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if such people exist in real life. (And I think Parker in Red Faction 1 left a safe boring life on Earth to become a miner on Mars, and the only problem was that it turned out it wasn't just hard work, it was actual slave labour.)

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 8, 2014

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My brother actually worked on the PC version of this game during his time at Volition. He had some stories about the development process, among other things.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

DTaeKim posted:

My brother actually worked on the PC version of this game during his time at Volition. He had some stories about the development process, among other things.

I'd love to hear those stories! How free is he to talk about that stuff?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
These must be shared.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm really enjoying watching this LP but I think it says something about the game itself that I just realised I'd accidently skipped Video 5.

Please tell me that a significant chunk of this game takes place outside? I can deal with the Metro games being swathes of dingy levels punctuated with bursts of outdoor activity but we're on future Mars here, why would you focus so much of your visual design on indistinct industrial spelunking?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Afinostux posted:

I'd love to hear those stories! How free is he to talk about that stuff?
Seconded, old warstories from game development is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fwoderwick posted:

Please tell me that a significant chunk of this game takes place outside? I can deal with the Metro games being swathes of dingy levels punctuated with bursts of outdoor activity but we're on future Mars here, why would you focus so much of your visual design on indistinct industrial spelunking?

Sorry. It's a bit hard to go up on the surface anyway, what with it being uninhabitable since the terraformer got hosed up.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

That's a shame. :(

Although I'm not sure I can give it a pass simply because imaginary space technology got destroyed in the first hour of the game. Mars was pretty uninhabitable in the first place and now it's uninhabitable and has cool ruins to explore. Just seems a bit lacking of imagination if they keep the whole game underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
That's probably my biggest complaint with the game. It's like 99% cave.

• Locked thread