Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gen. Ripper posted:

gently caress me sideways, this knocks it out of the ballpark.

I hope every antivaxxer dies and spends the rest of eternity in the nine fires of hell.

Especially Jenny McCarthy and Bill Maher. Those two can go gently caress themselves.

I honestly wish the feds would just say "gently caress it, enough with these assholes" and start rounding up anti-vaxxers. Start with the ones responsible for this outbreak. Any death it causes is a murder charge, and every patient can be whatever else they feel best fits it. Tack on child abuse/negligence for failing to vaccinate their kids.

People who fall in to that tiny group that can't actually be vaccinated are exempt, but the Jenny McCarthy assholes all get to burn and be held liable for every last damage their actions cause. I understand that she's just broken human being to some extent but so what? gently caress her and throw her rear end in a windowless box forever for what she's helped to bring about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Once that's signed in to law hopefully they can pass another bill that adds criminal penalties to people who try to avoid vaccinating their kids for personal/religious bullshit reasons.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

Governor Brown signed SB277 into law *without any changes* (he hobbled our previous vaccination bill at the last second)! Antivaxxers are already planning to sue over it. Also, California SB792 just got referred to committee this morning. SB792 requires daycare workers to be vaccinated against pertussis, measles, and influenza. The antivaxxers are framing this as FORCED ADULT VACCINATIONS.

SB277 was amended in the Assembly to allow for a sort-of somewhat grandfathering - children who hold a PBE issued before the law takes effect (January 1, 2016), will maintain that exemption until they hit the next mandatory vaccination check. So essentially anyone entering kindergarten this fall can get a PBE and avoid vaccination until middle school. We won't see the complete effect of the bill for 5 or 6 years.

How do anti-vaxxers think they have a case against the law? It's very much in the government's authority to require these things and a religious exception is not required by any reasonable reading of the state or US Constitutions.

Homeschooling will probably go up but honestly I hope a law's eventually passed that requires vaccination period. Homeschooled? Doesn't matter. Refusing to vaccinate your kids because a dumbass model and some quacks are conning you? You go to jail for child endangerment.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm all for punishing parents who refuse to vaccinate their children on bullshit grounds but withholding money the family might need to survive seems a little extreme.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

There are probably tons of dumbos who get their news from Dr. Oz or whatever and are just primed by fear and distrust of the medical establishment. And some people just do whatever their friends do.

I seriously wish it was against the law for shows like Dr. Oz to exist. Being really good in field A shouldn't mean you're allowed to bilk idiots out of their money by peddling bullshit snake oil stuff related to fields B, C, and Q.

e: And being a doctor who buys in to anti-vax stuff, or homeopathy, should be grounds to lose your medical license because you're probably going to end up killing a patient when you tell them to take fish oil to cure their cancer or something.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'll find the pictures when I get home, but the last time I went to the doctor, I got a printout of all sorts of new-agey bullshit including colloidal silver and some sort of detox fruit shake that I could buy through their website.

Report them for medical malpractice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Goddamn this is glorious.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

:thejoke: The Scientologists still had to spend millions of dollars, and set up a massive spy network, probably blackmailing a few people, in order to get classified as a religion.

Setup a massive spy ring and spend a few million in order to avid paying billions in taxes? That's a pretty easy call.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can't imagine how this is going to affect their remaining kids. "You were taken away form mommy and daddy because they let your baby brother die" is going to cause some serious issues. Though probably not as severe as being left with the parents if they somehow avoid going to jail.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

These people should lose their licenses to practice medicine. Same goes for any doctor who pushes holistic garbage. They should be blacklisted and prohibited from working in the medical community until they demonstrate they're actually going to work for their patients' well-being as they're supposed to.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

The argument of the paper is basically "oh, yeah, CA and VT did it, but there's no way it will happen in other states, and besides, it's unethical because reasons"

Well they can't argue it's illegal because the SCOTUS ruled years ago that mandating inoculation for public health concerns is within the government's authority. So if a state says "gently caress your personal stupidity, you're getting the shot unless you will have an adverse reaction to it" they don't have a choice. Getting vaccinated should be required by Federal Law.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wakefield deserves to be in prison, or a mental institute at the very least. That he's actually dumb enough to believe what he says is questionable and he's leading the charge in causing untold amounts of preventable death and suffering.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Buried alive posted:

It's also entirely possible he heard about all of that, but assumed the documentary would be informative and not be basically a propaganda piece.

Yeah I can give DeNiro a little benefit of the doubt that he might've thought "hey autism is a topic relevant to me because of my kid" then saw all the negative feedback, went and watched the documentary and went "wtf is this poo poo" and reversed course.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

"Eva had to be taken to the hospital several times, once after suffering apnoea which caused her to stop breathing for three minutes.

The newborn is now in intensive care and entering her fourth week of the disease."

Newborn stopped breathing for several minutes which is probably going to cause brain damage so if she does vaccinate the kid and it has disabilities she'll go back in to anti-vax bigger and harder than ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

We decided that giving blood to a JW kid was okay regardless of the parents' wishes, I can't understand why we don't with some basic vaccines.

Lack of a political will to do so. I hope that if Clinton wins and we get the ACA fleshed out better that included free and mandatory(barring medical exceptions) vaccination for all children in the US, full stop.

You don't want Sunflower Snowchild to get vaccinated because of your idiotic hipster/hippie/religious beliefs? Too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The organic movement is full of up-their-own-rear end middle class (or better) people who want to feel better than you while also being easy marks for people to fleece. They're only slightly less idiotic than the people who defend Raw Milk.

• Locked thread