Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Not irrelevant since there are chemicals other than Thimerosal (Which yeah, has been removed for like 15 some odd years now)...

Officially removed from pediatric preparations in 2001, (that's the only thing that makes them "pediatric") not due to any actual evidence of harm (to the contrary, there was no evidence of any harm.) It was removed to assuage the fear mongers freaking out about mercury and to stem the tide of non-vaccinated children. We see how well that worked. Many of the anti-vaccers still think there's mercury in all vaccines.

Dumb.

Almost as bad are the "we're going to spread out the 'toxins' and vaccinate on our own schedule" crowd. The problem with that is, the vaccine schedule doctors follow is determined to offer the most immunity as quick as safely possible. So if you deviate from that, your child is at risk for contracting things unnecessarily because you haven't gotten them their shots on time, and your child is a Typhoid Mary risk to other tiny infants they may be around (can't vaccinate for pertussis until 3 months of age, for example) or other kids who are missing vaccinations due to legitimate medical issues such as being immune-compromised.

Dumb.

My children are not allowed around children who aren't vaccinated. That's an adult friendship-ender for me. The pediatric practice we go to will not see unvaccinated children, or indulge parent's own schedules for shots--their public statement declares it unethical and a violation of "first do no harm". I wish there were no exemptions for public schools and vaccinations. I don't care if you do have a bonafide religious issue with it--homeschool, or go private, or something. Your religious liberty ends where it fucks around with public health--of children no less!

I hate anti-vaccers. I'd lump them in with Young Earth Creationists, but in the venn diagram of stupid, I think the overlap is relatively small. The anti-vacc crowd is more the herbal-supplements-will-cure-my-cancer, middle class, Suburban driving, the-interwebs-learns-me-gud, soccer mom crowd.

My mom had rubella (German measles) and mumps back to back, back in the 50's, and was sick in bed for two months. She had permanent hearing loss due to the fevers. She still tells me almost every time my kids go in for a checkup to make sure they're current on their shots (even though she knows they are.) Those diseases are not to be hosed around with. Back in the early 90's, when I was a teenager, (:corsair:) I had chickenpox so bad I had to be hospitalized for a couple days, and miss school for a month. I'm super happy my kids were able to be vaccinated against chickenpox now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\ Truth. A special needs child is all but guaranteed to bankrupt you in your lifetime, unless you are solidly in the upper class. Once they're adults, and age out of the special ed system, you are poo poo out of luck.

mdemone posted:

Given that the prenatal Downs tests (nuchal translucency, genetic markers, etc.) are measuring obvious physical differences, it's going to be very hard to find similar screening procedures for autism if the only physical evidence is inside the developing cortex. The only hope is that there is also some kind of genetic link that at least allows a degree of risk assessment.

This is in my professional wheelhouse (genetic testing/research).

Downs is easy to test for because it is genetically simple: Trisomy 21. Three copies of chromosome 21. An entire extra chromosome. We can use a variety of tissues (amniotic fluid, chorionic villi, hell, we can even filter the fetus' cells out of Mom's circulating blood), and a variety of testing procedures, at a range of gestational ages. Nuchal translucency (just like running a triple screen or a quad screen on Mom's blood) is just a screen that can tell you if that fetus has a greater likely hood of having Downs, or another genetic anomaly. It's helpful information for Mom to have when considering whether or not to pursue invasive testing, because there is always small risk to the pregnancy.

As it stands now, there have been dozens of genes across the genome that have been shown to have some association with autistic spectrum disorders, but no direct causal link has been established, nor do I think it will. We don't know how they all work together to cause "autism'.

My pet theory, with no evidence or anything--just my thoughts--is that there isn't more actual autism now than there was in generations past, just now we have a diagnosis. We have a name now for what used to be just that weird kid in the back of class.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

FadedReality posted:

Got into Ron Paul

Don't you mean Dr. Paul :jerkbag: Sigh, I have a BIL who is a Paul-ite; I have heard all sorts of things. :suicide:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Huh. I wonder how Melanie's Marvelous Permanent Hearing Loss And/Or Blindness is working out for her. Or Melanie's Marvelous Months She Missed School In Agony.

I hate people.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Tigntink posted:

gently caress. Someone with contagious measles visited all the Seattle tourist spots, including a concert at key arena and pike place market.

I want to check if I have real immunity, is that just a test I can ask for at the lab at my doctors office? I work in that area. :(

Yeah, like Rhandhali said, you can just ask whatever doctor or NP or PA you normally see for a titer on whatever immunizations you're wanting to check up on. It's a routine test for any lab. Your insurance may cover it anyway. At the very least you will get billed at the contracted rate for your carrier, as opposed to the self pay rate, but you can ask your doctor if it will be billed in a way that makes it likely to be covered--and check with your plan. Be sure your stuff gets sent to an in-network lab. (Check with your plan to see what's in network.)

I hate our healthcare system so much.

• Locked thread